Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
A good OP, and that reddit post makes the game look REALLY promising. Wiz is making goons proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't see any demographic charts and tables in the steam screenshots, they better be in the game or else!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I agree with the posters who enjoyed Vicky 1 more than 2 despite 2 being much easier to play and aesthetically pleasing. I always assumed it was because I was in high school and had lower standards, but I think you guys are right that the insane jankiness of turning independent Texas into a 100M population super state or whatever made it more fun.

3 still looks very good and I will definitely excitedly play it. If it can make the internal politics a bit more interesting that'd be good.

I'm curious how immigration is gonna end up - I kinda don't like the idea of making it more deterministic and hardcoded to big events like the famine, if only because attracting immigrants and moving your population around is one of the more fun bits of the era.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wiz can you confirm we will still have graphs and charts monitoring population demographics like ideology (or interest groups), class, and ethnicity, etc?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vasukhani posted:

I definitly remember some warhammer 40k sized doom battles invading the UK has france in vick2. Like wiping out 2 million a 4 month battle.

In Vicky 1, you could manually promote entire populations into soldiers, then make units from those soldier populations. You could use those specific units on suicide missions until you destroyed the entire population of a state or whatever.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Individual POP meat preferences, and mandatory vegetarianism as a state policy, or riot.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

War is often harder on the aggressor than the aggressed

As are most miscarriages of justice.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trains will be represented by populations of trains (PoTs) and modelled according to size, fuel type, hauling capacity, dietary preference, and ideology. The game will run at .001 ticks per second as every train's movement is modelled in real time. A year in game will take 6 months at max speed.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, no multithreading.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chadbear posted:

I just want a train conductor uniform designer

The DLC will add seven different train conductor uniform factories, with event narration by Ringo Starr.

EDIT:
VVVVVVV

I want to get off Mr. Wiz's wild ride.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 15, 2021

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the forum/thread policy on the leak? Are we allowed to post about it, maybe no screens or spoiler it or something? Just curious, want to be respectful of the rules/norms.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Marx should be like Mohammed in CK2 and not actually depicted. It should just be a piece of Arabic calligraphy, preferably the Shahada.

عمال العالم اتحدوا!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm gonna make all the quebecois speak english

Conquer Canada as the USA and repopulate it with Yankees.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I figure that eventually more efficient forms of agricultural production will trickle down to the subsistence farmers and ensure that anyone with a bit of land is actually making some small surplus and selling to market - which could have some ripple effects and drag them into the broader economic system. Maybe then you get kulaks.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Crete LP senate based AI when.

My pops won't stop buying only Japanese goods, my population is completely stagnant, and my radicalization is maxed out but there's no actual rebellions. Help!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

spend less on luxury goods

My pops all spent exactly 10 dollars and now they're all unemployed "artisans"

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for the first Spiff video.

How do you break that which is already completely broken?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to see the demographics of foreign provinces/nations? I always enjoyed poking around to see what absurdities other places went through, or which group ended up replacing the Irish as the teeming masses in the USA.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you form the Kalmar Union? I somehow defeated Denmark as Sweden and I'm trying to figure it out.

EDIT: I found it! It's the Scandinavian Empire and it's hidden under cultures??

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do I know my colonial growth progress? As Argentina I have ticking timers into Patagonia but it doesn't seem to do anything but repeatedly reset.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

It can be hard to notice (because the process is very gradual), but you'll actually take little bites out of the territory as the bar ticks down. So your progress is literally measured by the amount of territory you have on the map.

Ohhhhh okay! I guess for Argentina it's just very gradual. That or i made too many colonies or something. Thanks!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any protips on how to attract immigrants from other nations? Is it really just standard of living that drives most of it?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Anything that gives a migration attraction seems to trigger something that makes it so a region can become a migration "target" for a specific nationality. I saw that happen a couple times with the gold rush events in North America.

I was wondering what determined those things - do you just run good laws/high standard of living and they trigger after some time? Or is this scripted events we're talking about?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

What on Earth?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I tried playing a few countries as tutorial nations - Japan, Argentina/Chile, Sweden, and Belgium.

Belgium is DEFINITELY the best tutorial nation. The little Latin American countries just absolutely struggle for any sort of resource in the early days - it's not like in Vicky 2 where you can get a trickle of immigrants to get going. It takes far too long to get the resources to get the standard of living up to attract immigrants, and the base level expenses of bureaucracy can absolutely cripple tiny countries.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've found the main thing I'm doing basically at all times and at breakneck speed, is leaving the market prices of goods open and just building more of whatever needs more to meet my industrial needs (usually coal/iron/tools early on). Is that the main thing you guys are doing? I did some diplomacy and built some military industry too, but that seemed to be my main focus.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As much as the internal politicking was advertised as important, and is modelled, does it actually do anything? I have been able to just reform governments freely and pass basically any laws I want with minimal consequences. Do elections do anything except change clout percentages a bit?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I... think the front system may need some help.

EDIT: Is there a way to mass upgrade all industry production methods in your country?

Double EDIT: Ohhhh you do it from the main industry tab! I see.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 27, 2022

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
G'day mate, welcome to Alto Paraguay:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay. I have the industrialists and intelligentsia in government already and have been glacially working on laws that are less poo poo.

Can you get rid of a leader? I'm used to CK3 and it doesn't seem like there are any interactions with characters here. Can't just start offing Tokugawas until I find one who's a reformer.

It seems like your own leader is basically immortal, but occasionally you get events that can cause duels or retirement for other leaders.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

How do I figure out what my population needs in order to increase quality of life?

Still trying to learn the game as Chile, and try as I might, I can’t seem to get my impoverishment level above twice despite how many farms and unskilled-labor job buildings I make.

It also sucks that construction takes so slow

So I did some runs as Argentina/Chile, here is what I learned:

You are too poor to build things to be self sufficient. If you wanted to, you'd have to go to the goods/market tab and look at everything that is above "average" price (or anything that has more buy orders than sell orders), and build native industry or trade for it. With the construction industry you could afford it would take a century.

A better strategy - join the British (or French) market. You'll suddenly be FLOODED with goods, and you can create advanced industries (engines, ships, electricity) to sell to an absolutely massive and growing market early. Your POPs will magically get all the poo poo from the UK or French market which is flooded with basic goods. You lose your autonomy to control some of those things, but really, the British are swimming with goodies so it doesn't matter.

Then, apply greener grass to all your provinces and don't incorporate any territories. Cut taxes, abolish your military, and wait. As Argentina, I had more people than Brazil by 1860 from immmigration alone.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

The way the economy ties into interest groups really is pretty clever and I think is what separates it from other "build a production line" games.

Like as Chile I had some nice new Argentinian grasslands to build on, so I thought I'd finally build up my grain production and cancel the insanely large grain imports I've been doing from the British market since the start of the game. But after building a bunch of new farms I was like oh poo poo! The landowners are back! An obvious side effect that I hadn't considered since I was thinking purely in terms of resource production.

Like it's cool that when deciding what to build the pops it will foster and empower is a genuine consideration.

(The issue I guess is that right now it's too easy to ignore interest groups you don't like, even if they have clout.)

The weakest part of the game is definitely that politics is basically useless and can be completely ignored 90% of the time. They really needed to bake the politics stuff a bit more, and completely rework how elections/parties/interest groups affect gameplay.

Elections really should actually do something - maybe force the player to make the leading party in the governing coalition, change the head of state, force one law change, SOMETHING.

As it stands you can have the same immortal head of state and governing coalition from game start to game end and not have any problems or impediments the entire time.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Green Wing posted:

Wow I'm sure glad I found out that if I right-click on a state I bring up a context menu full of interesting buffs like encouraging migration that I don't think are available anywhere else! How well signposted!

Seriously though I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, I think it's great and honestly just what I wanted out of Victoria 3. But the way in which some things are hidden (pop needs?? Which pops are radical????) is confounding.

Pop needs definitely need to be more visible, and a button similar to good prices but for pop consumer needs/satisfaction isn't a terrible idea. Having to hold over two tooltips to see it is kinda absurd.

Or am I missing another nested source of info?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying a big power for the first time (Prussia) how do you do anything without France, Italy, and Austria just always opposing you? I can't sign alliances and getting obligations seems really hard (bankroll for a few years???), is there something I'm missing?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Work progresses on the ecological collapse mod I've talked about

This looks cool as hell, please make sure to keep the thread updated on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Game is fun and good but I'm waiting on a patch to fix the late game lag so I can see what the late game is like by next month.