Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Victoria 3 announcement... could this mean... Victoria 4 confirmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

From the reddit thread:

quote:

You can have a Statist, command economy without being Communist. Communism itself, while it often goes hand-in-hand with a command economy, is now more directly related to distribution of wealth and political power. Communism is not when the government does things. The government doing more things doesn't make it more communister.

:allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I never figured out how to play Vicky 2.

Nobody did.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arbite posted:

Very excited for this. I really, really hope they go back to using actual music from the era like in V1. That added so much atmosphere that was lacking in the second.

Also a way to subsidize/incentivize factories you want built when you're not going full command economy would be nice.

They said that you're going to be able to control what factroys your capitalists build, with some restrictions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

Oh gosh, please don't listen to dumb fans afraid of change. Parties were terrible and often broke the game. For instance:
People have been radicalized and elect the Communists. Communists arbitrarily oppose voting laws. The (communist) people like voting so you get a bunch of Jacobin rebels demanding voting rights. They succeed and the people... elect the Communists again.

There is no reason to arbitrarily link a group of political ideas together in a "party", and if you're doing it dynamically then it's pointless. If people are up in arms about a little bit of flavor, fine, whatever. But I'll be very unhappy if anything as restrictive and frustrating as Victoria 2 parties get added.

This just means that parties were poorly implemented in V2 (like a lot of other things), not that there's something inherently wrong with them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Unrecognized states. Basically, the powers that be refuse to recognize your country as on the same level as them. Being unrecognized apparently doesn't give you any research penalties like being "uncivilized" like in V2, rather your road to industrialization is now just determined by your starting conditions, like your resources and the education/standard of living of your pops.

EDIT: And yeah, the fact that the colonial powers of Europe can beat up on you for no penalty. You can even become a recognized power by defeating one in combat, like in the Russo-Japanese war. I really like this system because it highlights the Eurocentric/colonialist viewpoint.

I wonder if this means that you could beat up a great power so badly that they become unrecognized.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

ha ha i'm a dev on this

Officially, this means that Vicky 3 is a goon project now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wiz is like a couple of pages up the thread man, lol

You need at least two goons working on it to qualify as a goon project.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wasn't the economy also programmed by a libertarian who used it to "prove" that taxes are bad? Or is that just a rumor I heard.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You don't have to be a fanatic to have your political leanings leak into the things you create, whether it's deliberate or not. That's just a thing people do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

harvested from the recovered waffleimages, I hope victoria 3 still allows for this

I'm the unlabeled orange country. I assume it's Chile but who knows.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Dumping armies into an abstract front and hoping you win the war sounds boring as gently caress and I hope paradox ignores all such suggestions

You're right, it's much more exciting to dump your men into an abstract front line and hope that you win the battle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Call me crazy, but I think that a grand strategy game, especially one that focuses on internal politics and economy, shouldn't require you to manually control every single army you have all across the world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

That shouldn't be something you can just do with a click of a button - functioning states don't just naturally occur for free.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Victoria 3 is introducing a fun new mascot, Clippy the Clipper, who will occasionally pop up and offer helpful advice!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This game is going to be absolutely insane and there's no way it won't be a big hot mess when it all comes together but I still can't wait for it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

quote:

This of course adds a tremendous capacity for modding in new Buildings and Production Methods! Embassies that increase your Influence, but which can also be configured to consume Wine and Meat at state expense to increase the speed at which you Improve Relations? Shantytown Temples that can only be built on coastlines, that consume Fish and create jobs for pops qualifying for the Deep Ones profession, increasing state mortality but also the weekly rate of the global cthulhu_rising counter? We can't wait to see what madness you unleash!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Weavered posted:

Victoria 3: Meat Based Unrest

please mods this is perfect

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

is there an effective strategy for reducing aristocrats?

:thermidor:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Victoria 3: Pie Based Unrest

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone else getting some Master of Orion 3 vibes from this game so far? MOO3 had some really neat ideas despite it being a horrible mess.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

deltah posted:

Victoria 2 noob question. I'm playing Belgium to learn more about factories. Belgium starts with iron and coal and this seems useful, but what I'm running into is that iron and coal based products seem to sell for poo poo. For instance steel has been in low demand from the start to now 1868. I also made a machine parts factory thinking this would be better ... but it isn't. Instead the demand fluctuates and I have to subsidize the factory to keep it afloat. This seems true for most of the low volume products: artillery, cement, small arms, canned food, etc.

Instead the factories that seem to work are glass, liquor, furniture, clothes, wine, etc ... things pops use. Glass is nice because it uses coal so I feel like I'm using my coal ... but all my iron is being exported raw. As an aside a big great power war started and glass demand dropped by half and now I have 70k unemployed craftsman who used to make glass, which is kind of hilarious.

I guess I don't have a question other than: am I missing anything? Also, any advice on what to do to actively encourage industrialization? For the most part I just set national focus on craftsman / clerks, occasionally build factories that don't work, and fall back to upgrading the ones that do. My goal was to try and avoid colonization / war in this play through and just become a great power via factories but it hasn't worked out. I've briefly been #8 but not long enough to stick (currently #10).

Just produce the stuff that's profitable, don't worry about what your RGOs produce. You only get a throughput bonus for matching factories with their inputs, which can be nice but not the end of the world if you don't have it. It's totally OK to export all your RGO product and import all your factory needs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thank you for narrowly avoiding turning pops into libertarians, wiz.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ItohRespectArmy posted:

can't wait to play victoria 3

i'm gonna build a lot of coal mines

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I always wanted a MoO 3 myself. Shame there were only two titles tho :(

MOO3 was great :mad: It was just a little ahead of its time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

will we be able to seduce karl marx

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's actually impossible, and in fact illegal, for communists to be clean shaven.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My first game of V2 was as Ethiopia (extremely bad, do not recommend) so it will probably be that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm gonna make the longest Chile

I'm going to make the widest Chile.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tomn posted:

Surprised nobody here has mentioned Italy, seems like a fun potential challenge for unification with less raw economic potential than the more overpowering Germans. Not sure which of the Italian states to go for but any might be neat.

Two Sicilies, One Throne

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can't wait to elect President Sleve McDichael.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Someone looked at a penny farthing and said "what if we made it three stories tall and put a shitload of guns on it".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

God, SMAC on an engine and UI that isn't older than me would be glorious. I'm fully expecting the most popular TC mod will be some kind of steampunk total conversion, plus Anbennar and TNO ports/knockoffs, but I'm really holding out for a good SMAC mod too. Or at least relatively grounded sci fi of some flavor.

Remember when Firaxis made a SMAC pseudo-remake in the Civ 5 engine and it sucked?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE BAR posted:

It was less the gameplay decisions for the DLC, and more everything around it. A linear mission structure wrangled into the base game's more sandboxy design. Cutscenes with characters who would never shut the hell up, ruining the unknowable enemy that has been key to the setting since the original X-COM.

Replacing the :krad: loadout music before missions with an inferior track. :argh:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. You know what this gritty guerilla resistance against a powerful and mysterious alien empire really needs? Some loving anime villains to monologue about how the player's actions are futile.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why should I care about the chosen though? They suck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd be down for receiving a telegram telling me to turn on my Monitor (ironclad).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

November 7th, obviously :ussr:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can't believe I'll be playing Victoria 3 in less than two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm extremely excited to not have to order individual regiments around in a game that is primarily about economics.