Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

I hope that the confed actually puts up a meaningful fight though. In Vicky II it was really anti-climatic.

Especially since it was incredibly easy to game by simply not enlisting any Dixie pops before the start of the war. Or better yet, use all the Dixie pops to fight in wars against Mexico/whoever else and then delete them all before the nation splits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm baffled that people do the gamey yankee soldier play in a game like Vicky. It's not like you're going for an EU cheevo. Similarly I don't understand people who powergame in CK.

It wrecks the Southern state's infrastructure no matter what, but when you game it like that less people in your country die. More pops are better in V2, and losing a massive amount of population when it can be easily avoided just rubs me the wrong way. And again, this isn't an abstract manpower pool, once your citizens die they stay dead.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Wiz posted:

Without going too much into detail I can say that the aim is have fewer but more dangerous rebellions, and more forms of 'limited' civil unrest so the constant first resort of angry pops isn't rising up and marching on the capital. We also want all rebellions to have the potential for foreign involvement.

A lot of the stuff in that post sounds good, but this one sounds very important to me. One of the most tiring things in Vicky2 was the rebellions, I've quit games before just because I became immediately exhausted seeing tons of medium sized rebel stacks all around my multi-continent empire. And they seemed to happen every few years or so sometimes. Seriously unfun.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I don't claim to be an expert historian on the Victorian era (or really any time period), but from what I understand mobilizing a country's military was a very important part of the preparation for a large scale war. One of the problems with V2 was the fact that mobilization was not only damaging to the country, but also handled in such an inconvenient way that, unless you were prepared to do large scale micro, it wasn't even worth the effort. And it was really only necessary in multiplayer, it was easy enough to win against the AI with your standing army, and MP is where large scale micro is nearly unfeasible.

One of my items on the wishlist for Victoria 3 would be making mobilization something that could be organized much more efficiently, so that the damage it does to your country could be put off by the large advantage in numbers that mobilization brings. Something like preset division templates set to gather in specific cities, which would of course take some time but once finished you would have thousands of amateur soldiers ready to run towards enemy bayonets.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Lol at them using a screenshot from the HPM mod because regular Victoria 2 represented a lot of Borneo as completely blank white space.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sounds interesting, if they are able to pull it off. However it seems difficult to imagine the situation ending peacefully given the state of the USA in 1856, 20 years after game start. And I get that this game can be alt-history, but I feel like you would need to abolish slavery nationwide quite close to the start date for it to be realistically done without war. Furthermore it seems hard to picture that slavery would be able to continue in parts of the USA all the way into 1936. I feel like you should really need to make some harsh sacrifices in your playthrough in order to avoid the ACW.

Also, I remember abolishing slavery super early as the USA in Victoria 2, and it completely messed up the migration westward, I never even got to turn most of my territories into states. That was honestly enough motivation to kick Confederate rear end instead.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Civil War should also come with some benefits after the fact to balance out how devastating it would be to the population and your economy.

I think HPM gave you the option to make African-Americans an accepted culture soon after the war, which was a very powerful incentive, but also somewhat unrealistic.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Crazycryodude posted:

China's larger than the entire continent of Europe from Lisbon to the Urals

I looked this up so you don't have to. Modern day China is not as large as Europe (but it's pretty drat close). The Qing Empire during the Victoria 3 time frame, however, was certainly larger than Europe, and it wasn't even particularly close.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Victoria 3 feels as a game goes, one of the few paradox titles where war isn't a huge enough central focus that maybe a version of the above can be tested without risking rage.

This is not the game to try this sort of thing in. And I don't really think Paradox wants to make this kind of game, nor should they.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Frionnel posted:

It's not for achievements, i used to always savescum something or another so ironman was a really nice way to force myself to just play the game. I've gotten used to it.

Same, I used to savescum to the point where it got unfun for me, I use Ironman mode basically always now unless I'm testing something quickly. It also helps you learn how to play in dire circumstances, I remember reaching -99% warscore in a battle in EU4 and ending up pushing back to win the whole thing. You end up getting better naturally.

Raenir Salazar posted:

words words words words words

If you really want to try something like this, Imperator: Rome has a bunch of situations like this where the loyalty of your generals and the people in your government have a large impact on how well you are able to control your nation and your army. But all the specific things that you mention in one game would be incredibly unfun, and I don't believe that even you would enjoy playing it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

VostokProgram posted:

Dumping armies into an abstract front and hoping you win the war sounds boring as gently caress and I hope paradox ignores all such suggestions

:emptyquote:

So much of Paradox games is clicking on units to move them around. If I hated doing that, then I wouldn't enjoy playing Paradox games. I enjoy playing Paradox games.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

Call me crazy, but I think that a grand strategy game, especially one that focuses on internal politics and economy, shouldn't require you to manually control every single army you have all across the world.

You're crazy.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Wiz posted:

We are however turning most of it into subjects (this is a thing we're doing in general with a lot of established colonies), which is one of the things that makes Britain a lot more manageable to play in V3 vs V2.

Interesting. I know that this is probably not something that can be fully divulged at this time, but does this mean that there would be several different "colonies" at game start in both Australia and Canada that would eventually unite as one dominion, like in history? Or would those areas start off united but still as subjects, not directly ruled? Also, I'm assuming that means the East India Company starts off as self-ruled even though it is owned by Britain, but it also ended up being essentially annexed later on. Will it remain a subject throughout the game?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yea, its like 1850 and my soldier pops turn red as soon as their recruited. I am guess this is bc I'm taxing the poo poo out of the poor and have started building factories, so everything is transitioning into craftman?

Soldier pops? Are you...paying them? You have a slider for that.

Unless you're talking about artisans, that would be pretty normal for a lot of countries and there isn't much to do to stop it besides educating and industrializing.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

God, imagine a Victoria 3 where people are complaining about too many Jingos instead of too few.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Not even sure if the Great Depression is even worth including since it historically started with the stock market crash of 1929, seven years before the end date. I don't think the dev team is nihilistic enough to cripple your country's economy right by the end after you've built it up all game for no real reason. And small-to-major depressions may happen naturally as a process of the game.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

guidoanselmi posted:

How did i miss this in all my hours of EU4? Was it through specific national missions?

The term used in the game is "Cultural Conversion".

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

These small teases of how the map looks are killing me with anticipation.

Also curious to see how next week's dev diary goes, I'm sure the team knows that slavery (especially in the USA) is not exactly easy to talk about in the sterile economic language you can use in most other dev diaries.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Great diary, as nice as the economic stuff is, I am, in fact, a map game player, so how the map functions regarding states and regions is very appealing to know about.

The concept of Homelands is interesting too, and it sounds different than cores. Might be a way to get around Serbia having cores on half of the Balkans for the entire game.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Cantorsdust posted:

I kind of hope that this split of incorporated states and homelands puts cores down for good. Cores in V2 were extremely limited and artificial feeling. They didn't easily change. And one of the most important parts of Victoria to me, and also it sounds like to the design team, is this possibility of taking your nation in a new direction, growing it, and having the game and its systems acknowledge the work you've put in. I want it to be possible for Britain to firmly integrate parts of India with enough effort, not just leave them as colonial states for the rest of the game. I want it to be possible for the US to conquer Canada and admit every Canadian province to the Union. And Victoria 2's system just didn't account for this very well. The former with Britain would never happen because you would never be able to get enough British bureaucrats into India to incorporate a state, and while you probably could incorporate Alberta as a US state, it would never be considered a core. It feels like the older more hardcoded Paradox generations than EU4, where with enough time and points you could core any state and with limited exceptions remove other cores.

One of the interesting things is that I'm 99% sure that cores never disappear in Vicky 2, if a state starts as a core of a nation it will stay that way until 1936, same with any cores that you ended up gaining. Also, I believe a core can appear in any state, I'm pretty sure the USA could core Alberta, you would just need to wait for the random event to pop up. The main problem would be getting the state in the first place, The UK can kick the USA's rear end for like 80-100% of the game's timeline.

Also, I think should be hard if not downright impossible for the UK to make any territory in India a state. France tried and failed to do that with Algeria, and that had a smaller population. Plus it was literally just across from the Mediterranean.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Poil posted:

Would it be possible to play an extremely bizarre alt history where the UK handles the potato blight in a smart and humanitarian manner to minimize starvation and avoid a lot of emigration?

Assumedly yes, but it will be a large strain on your resources in order to keep a large amount of unaccepted pops in your country.

That might not be historically accurate of course, but it would just be gameplay wise. Usually there's an incentive in many Paradox games to try and keep things relatively historical, and if you want to stray off the historical course to do something that makes much more sense with hindsight 175 years later it will take a lot more work from the player. However, considering that you will most likely be able to accept the Irish culture at some point during the game it will certainly be difficult for people to accept that loss of population.

Ah who am I kidding, who is going to be playing the UK in a Victoria game?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RabidWeasel posted:

The potato famines weren't caused by a lack of resources, they were caused by landowners shipping all the grain and meat off to other places to sell at a higher price. The Irish starved because nobody in government cared enough about them to rock the boat, not because there wasn't enough food in Ireland (the wheels of government being jammed up further with a good old pile of racism obviously)

I know, that's why I mentioned that it was historically inaccurate. Again, there's no reason for what happened in Ireland during the Victorian era to ever happen in game, since it's basically a net negative all around. But gameplay wise, I wouldn't be surprised if it was handled as a matter of money/resources.

Paradox games have the unfortunate task of trying to keep things relatively historically accurate even though in real life they didn't actually make any sense. The conquest of the Aztec and Inca empires by a few thousand Spaniards is utterly absurd and should not have happened 99 times out of 100. But since they did happen, and it completely changed a large portion of the American continent, so it is something that is made ahistorically simple for the player and the AI to do.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Kaza42 posted:

It's Murphy's Law: The fastest way to learn anything is to get it wrong publicly on the internet

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Count me in as someone who actually enjoys having units on the map, and has talked about it in this very thread.

Anyway I'm not completely discounting the game because of this, only the conceptual stuff has really been talked about. It is disappointing if there are really no units on the map, I prefer the warfare to be actually visible when I look at two countries duke it out but we haven't found out exactly how visible it is. And while I think it's a good thing that the AI can in theory handle warfare better this way, that can be a double edged sword. Many players are able to take on larger and richer countries and win in other Paradox games because they can use the game mechanics to their advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if many fans get frustrated at having to deal with an AI competent enough that they are no longer able to win their underdog victories.

On the other hand, micro can be annoying. ESPECIALLY in Vicky 2. So perhaps this is a good thing overall, I definitely want to see more before making any serious judgements.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

TwoQuestions posted:

It'd be really weird if the opening of the Panama Canal wasn't represented at all, but I can understand if it's a one-off event. Getting it completed was quite the dangerous adventure and I hope Victoria can tell it one of these days.

What did Vicky 2 do?

You sphere whatever country holds the Panama isthmus (which realistically was pretty much always Colombia in vanilla), get all the inventions needed to click the decision, then you click it, spending no money and getting it instantly.

It was pretty dumb and HPM made several improvements.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

Some details on playing as a reactionary Russia and unified Canada

That was a pretty fascinating read. Also good to have confirmation on something that I asked Wiz about in this thread earlier, Canada and Australia are starting out as collections of separate colonies rather than being unified at game start.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This one doesn't really work for a few reasons, the most glaring reason being that the top right hat was worn by the Union in the ACW, not the Confederacy.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Magissima posted:

New dev diary, on UI. Nothing earth-shattering but the UI is looking pretty nice. They've clearly made progress since the early DDs.

quote:

Buttons are the main elements in the game and UI that the player interacts directly with. From the UX point of view, players would need to identify the buttons almost instantaneously.

If this sounds too obvious to even mention, you probably haven't played Imperator Rome. The UX started out pretty boring, but when they spiced it up they got a little too creative and suddenly it's impossible to tell what is clickable and what isn't.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Pakled posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1491064284377407510

In a move some are calling "not the craziest thing he's ever done," Dr. Francia appears to have declared himself Emperor of the Middle Kingdom

I wonder if they are going to include his "White people are not allowed to marry other white people" law and make it give a bonus to assimilation.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I'm really digging the writing in these events.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Reading this thread makes me want to boof sand.

Has there been a dev diary on client states/spheres? I’m curious how nations essentially make puppets/economic vassals out of other countries.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-37-market-expansion.1514692/

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

ThaumPenguin posted:

It won't be coming out in July because the devs will be on summer vacation, and likely won't release in the weeks right before or after July. So I'd say it's either in May or in autumn, and I'm leaning towards autumn as that increases my chances of being positively surprised.

This is just cruel, what if someone actually believes you?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I mean, the ACW was all about slavery in Victoria 2 as well, I don't think any popular mods ever attempted to change that either. Victoria 2 is like the 4chan crowd's favorite PDX game regardless.

Tomn posted:

I found this bit in the dev diary interesting:

Sounds to me like this is saying the most moral and effective way of preparing for the Civil War is making GBS threads on slaveowners every chance you get until they're too weak to effectively resist in the coming war. Which I'm pretty OK with.

I doubt it would be that simple. Going back to Victoria 2, a much larger portion of the Dixie population were able to be conscripted as soldiers at the beginning of the game than Yankee pops. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened with this game, if the ACW kicks off too early then you might be outnumbered on the battlefield despite having more total population.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Charlz Guybon posted:

Summerians were theocratic communists. I don't think it was especially hosed up for a Mesopotamian society 4-5k years ago though.

Didn't they have slaves? Nothing communist about that.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Color me surprised by a release this year!

Very surprised, actually. Almost incredulous.

No, definitely incredulous. I don't believe it will release this year. Once we have a set-in-stone date, then I'll be slightly more convinced.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Victoria 3: Factories don't care about your feelings

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Funnily enough, Stellaris was the first Paradox game I bought being more used to the Civilization series. It is now my least played Paradox game that I own by a large margin.

I preordered Victoria 3 today. I actually didn't just preorder it, I preordered the Grand Edition.

That doesn't mean that you're not stupid if you preorder it. It just means you're in good company. Then again, I did put around ~500 hours in Victoria 2 according to Steam, and Victoria 2 is a deeply flawed game even after installing overhaul mods.

edit: Just because I preordered it doesn't mean I expect it to be completely functional or even generally playable on release. I just have a feeling that I'm gonna put a lot of hours in it no matter what.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Please take a look at GaussianCopula's rapsheet before interacting with them tia

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Broke: Waiting for the Anbennar mod for Victoria 3

Woke: Waiting for the Victoria 3 mod for Imperator Rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Newest Dev Diary on Data Visualization: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-61-data-visualization.1546730/

Alternate title: How I Killed Pie Charts and Why They Had It Coming