Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sad it doesn't use the Imperator terrain map, can't stand the CK3 look.

the map appearance is reputedly very much wip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wish i had something more substantive to add than 'im really fuckin hype for this game," but here we are

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

*Magnitude-ishly* pop POP!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Vicky herself lookin' a little bit like a neanderthal in that one screenshot where you can see her as heir to william

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

pdxjohan posted:

Eh.. Wiz didnt do the expansions for v2. That was podcat and darkrenown

They probably mean that random patch you guys dropped a few years (iirc) back. It's true that vic2 didn't really hit its stride until heart of darkness landed with the flashpoint system in any case

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wiz posted:

Not my fault you guys aren't asking the important questions :colbert:

in my hours of daydream-designing about a future Vicky 3, one thing i've always though would be neat is some way of competing for prestige by means of exploration/archaeological pillaging; so, say, you could sponsor expeditions to climb the highest mountains, reach the poles, explore 'darkest' Africa and the interior of the Amazon, exploit and steal the cultural memory of other nations to stock your museums. This would be more likely to be DLC fodder than base game stuff, but im curious if anything like that is intended for the release candidate :)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

MonsieurChoc posted:

This brings up the possibility if you manage to make a super africna nation of going to pillage European artifcats to put in your museum.

precisely :devil:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

I'm not really a fan of the end date being as late as 1936 to be honest. The world before and after WW1 is just too different and the Victoria games were never good at actually simulating WW1 or its aftermath.

I almost feel like the Great War should be left out of the simulation all together and be a dynamic game over condition, though I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be terribly popular and might be bad at actually incentivising players to build up large standing armies alliance networks.

Disagree. 1936 gives time for a great war or two + the ultimately disastrous outcome of whatever ludicrously punitive treaty you inflict.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Party politics is pretty enormously important in the history of this period, as the actual interface between social 'interest groups' and government policy. I'm not really worried that they'll do a better and more dynamic job of it than Vic2 does.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Brazil has nostalgia appeal but it might be fun to try and see how disastrous an Ottoman run can be

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

t hose on map shipping lanes tho...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Vasukhani posted:

the whole point was getting 0.1% Capitalists 2% Clergy 5% Soldiers 0.2% Officers 1% Beauracrats

not sure what game you guys were playing

yeah my most vivid v2 memories are open palm slamming the clergy focus button and laying railroad like carpet

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

VostokProgram posted:

What I hate is that all of hoi4's war mechanics loving suck

wrong bitch

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rynoto posted:

Light cruisers loaded up with the best engine and all the latest scouting equipment and nothing else and set to never engage to find the fleets then watching as the entire enemy fleet disappears under naval bombers.

Very ahistorical but also hilarious.

that's not that ahistorical :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the music is wonderful

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lady Radia posted:

Yeah! I was coming away almost excited about it lol

MonsieurChoc posted:

But by the end it was getting really good!

Invictus mod is dece

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Canasta_Nasty posted:

I'm loving what I see in the dev diaries and think the changed military system has a lot of potential. The big question I have is the interplay between military fronts and logistics. It's going to have a big impact on things like colonization

I know it's on the margins but I was thinking of California history at this time. In 1844 the locals in Alta California dislike the Governor appointed by the Mexican federal government and revolt. The force sent to suppress them is just 300 prisoner conscripts who are defeated, resulting in a compromise where a local Californio becoming governor. During the Mexican-American War the US fighting forces in California were just 6 ships and ~300 local volunteers.

A lot of countries want the area (US, Mexico, Britain, Russia), but none of them have much ability to actually project force there. There are flirtations with becoming an independent republic, but the local economy is completely dominated by a handful of rancheros who end up easily sidelined by the steady stream of immigrants from the US.

If they can nail a system where the US fights a civil war in the east with a total ~3,000,000 mobilized between both sides but practically can only send 1/1,000 as many around to California due to the economic cost, it'll be my dream game.

zorro and his trusty steed tornado were also a wild card factor in all this

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DaysBefore posted:

Anne Comnena's book is pretty funny because a lot of it is just her talking about how much she loving hates Western Europeans.

but she thinks the normans are pretty hot (if despicable) as i recall

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mantis42 posted:

Great, now they're dumbing down the cheevos for casuals. -_-

yes!... hahahah, yes!!!!!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Still not really sold on how they're simming warfare, although it's definitely nice that it"s well hooked into econ

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm extremely excited to not have to order individual regiments around in a game that is primarily about economics.

i think there is a happy median between this and the model as last talked about, but time will tell!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I'm personally hoping they do something crazy with tech at some point. It's a little weird seeing all these radically redesigned systems and then a pretty generic looking tech tree, even if it's basically what we had in Vicky 2.

Okay, maybe I just really miss tech teams. Assigning research projects to historical figures and institutions was rad. That system's probably more suited to the HOI games, but let me dream dammit!

They took tech teams out of hoi and replaced it with something worse. In terms of vicky the current one does look pretty systems-placeholdery to me but i guess we'll just see

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wukkar posted:

The Currency Designer DLC will be sweet. Picking between dead heads of state, colors, patterns, material, level 3 vs level 4 anti-counterfeiting.

This hole! It was made for me!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the corpses along the london bridge barricades are lined in heaps three deep... behind them the redcoats are rallying in their tattered uniforms for the next charge of the vile frank. 'The midlands may burn, the Thames fill with bodies, but we shall have Benin!'

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

diplomacy seems pretty wacky atm but im still getting stuck in.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

soundtrack is aces

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

one odd thing i've noticed is that all the faces seem very similar? like i know its kind of period appropriate but surely not all the world's rulers were ruddy-faced and high-cheekboned at this time

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

want to reemphasize that this game slaps however

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's settled, then

vicky 3 newspaper dlc when

would love that ya

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

anyone have tips for Brazil start?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

+1 to finding this game compulsively, almost unstoppably playable, even when i'm getting frustrated.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the Brazil tips i asked a few days ago. Wrapping up my playthrough now, it's been a fun ride. actually managed to lose the opening war against gran para cause I was stoned and forgot to assign a general to the front, but it doesn't really set you back. Slowly expanded for a while based on coffee and tobacco exports and lots and lots of ports, almost debt-spiraled into oblivion in the 1870s but Britain bailed me out, after which we were ride or die so far as I was concerned. I'd waited too long to switch from wood to modern construction methods; once I had room again for deficit spending it was off to the races and SoL began to rocket up, at least until unchecked immigration from filthy euros fleeing the war torn old countries began to reverse it. By the dawn of the 20th century we were booming all over the place, passing reforms left and right, and naturally humiliating and dominion-ing our unfortunate, destitute neighbors across South America.

The rest of the world was interesting; Abraham Lincoln will be remembered as the President who presided over the peaceful end of slavery, and for America's calamitous defeat against the glorious Canada-Mexico axis and the loss of the west. France dominates the planet, with treaty ports across the oceans. It's currently 1914, Austria and Prussia are engaged in brutal trench warfare, with both nations having overthrown their incompetent pre-war regimes in the first few months before resuming hostilities under military dictators. Russia is allied with Austria and getting absolutely smashed. Brazil has at last surpassed the declining USA in global prestige, and begins to look outward...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

actually... the game...

is good :boom:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

anyway besides late game slowdown my biggest complaint is lack of a music player, like, c'mon my dudes

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

how has people's experience with that anbeeld's AI mod been, anyway? I tried it briefly on a belgium playthrough and it seemed like europe was consumed by turmoil and revolt at an even faster rate than usual, but maybe it was just bad rng. it would be well worth it if nations were developing late game industries at least

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Waifu Radia posted:

as mexico i am somehow not #1 GDP by 1910 and not the #1 producer of anything besides automobiles. which to me was trivial to achieve by 1870 as the ottomans and before then as italy. so, i feel it's a genuine difference

also importing all my opium from britain successfully

tx im off to try it again. think i'll roll... persia this time

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

eXXon posted:

Juggling build orders can be fun if you're into making number go up (in principle, I mean; the queue UI is Not Great). The manual adjustment of production methods is awful and possibly more perplexing than manual trade routes (as in why they thought this would be a compelling gameplay loop, not how it works).

I like the production method stuff. seems pretty simple to manage?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've just been playing with anbeelds ai and some cosmetic mods, big improvement already

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

only mod i need is one that removes the red stink lines from turmoil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

buglord posted:

I really hope they do flavor nicely in DLC. HOI4s newspapers and focus trees really did a whole lot of storytelling

E: also im really happy that you can zoom in a bunch and watch little towns grow and change over time. It is extremely my jam

love it, wish it was toned down a bit for the sake of my graphics card and cause you get some incredible urban sprawl that should feel rarer outside a few places by the end date