Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have a link to this fabled AzeriLP I keep hearing about?

Might require archives:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429306

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Narrator posted:

From Wiz on Reddit: no fixed number of Great Powers. Rank is set by prestige compared to the worldwide average.

That seems like a sensible way to handle it. In my experience, the #7, #8, sometimes even #5 and #6 GP slots in Vicky 2 are often really marginal powers that realistically don't have any business being considered in the same league as the other GPs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eiba posted:

What the gently caress. Is there a way to see all of Wiz's posts on Reddit? I have no idea how Reddit works, and don't want to, and deeply resent legitimate information being posted there. That's a great change, but come one, Wiz. Remember your roots. Randomly post really exciting specific answers here, if you're going to post them anywhere.

https://old.reddit.com/user/pdx_wiz?sort=new

Click "Context" under a comment to see the comment chain he's replying to (if any).

Pakled fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 23, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wiz posted:

Not my fault you guys aren't asking the important questions :colbert:

I've got a question about characters: are they historical beyond the ones in-game at the start, or randomly generated? Will we see people who were born well after 1836 like Lenin and David Lloyd George?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BigglesSWE posted:

Did Victoria 2 have anything resembling an arms-race as a thing to happen? Since the build up of the German Navy was a major driving force in British foreign policy towards the 1910s, it would be interesting to see countries react to the developments of other countries, rather than just the active actions.

Not as far as I can remember. If there was, then it was obfuscated behind the black box AI and not any sort of player-facing system.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 24, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Japan is one of my favorite countries to play in V2 for how wide open of a sandbox it is. Once you modernize, the Asian-Pacific world is your oyster. There are lots of weak uncivs with good resources to bully (the coal and iron in Korea and Manchuria being particularly tempting targets), Spain and the Netherlands' colonies in Asia are easy pickings, and the sheer distance between you and Europe plus bad naval AI means a modernized Japan can punch way above its weight against other great powers.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

really queer Christmas posted:

Has there been mention on how war will function? Obviously it's not the focus but having it at least be "not painful" would work for me.

They haven't gone into detail on it, they've said they aren't ready to talk about war yet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm sure I'll change my mind a thousand times between now and whenever this game releases but a relatively chill game as Brazil where I focus on internal development seems appropriate for a first game. After that, maybe I'll try something more challenging, like a Mexico game where I try to hold on to the northern territories.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crazycryodude posted:

What is Paradox trying to hide in Australia, every promo screenshot of the map just so happens to be framed so you can't see it :tinfoil:

Remember the Hansa LP? :cthulhu:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, legit question this time: while the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom be playable?

They've said you can play as any rebellion so yeah.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Do we know how big markets can get? Would the British Empire all be one market?

Markets sound kind of like the replacement for spheres of influence from V2, except anyone can have them, not just great powers. So the British Empire + various other countries would indeed be one market.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vasukhani posted:

vicky II where soviet style communism is objectively the best type of gov being anti tankie is deffo a take

I think from a metagaming perspective, fascism is actually the best type of government in V2 because when they're in power, they'll always support any law changes you want to make, plus you can still manually create and upgrade factories with state capitalism.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kraftwerk posted:

How does the economy work in this game?

Like in Victoria II I was never really sure how exactly you built wealth. My goal was always to try and build domestic production of all goods and I found what I got was a bunch of unproductive factories and a lot of sunk costs.

I couldn't "visualize" the global market and how the goods physically moved between the different countries nor how many of those goods were available in total for import/export.

So basically I build furniture factories in wood producing regions, glass factories where I had coal and so on. I had no idea whether I was consuming more raw materials than I produced and only assumed that goods would neatly flow from the raw material sites to the production sites at minimal cost.

How are you actually supposed to plan these things?

We don't know enough details to know exactly how it'll work in V3 with any kind of detail yet.

But in V2, there's a trade screen that, among other things, shows the sum of the resource needs for your factories, pops, and military, and you can mouse over the trade goods to see the sources of production and demand in your country. You can use that to identify what resources you should prioritize. I believe there's also something you can mouse over for individual factories on the factories screen to see their daily inputs/outputs, and factors affecting production. The economy in V2 is a very complicated beast and there are tons of factors that affect the price of goods and wages.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gort posted:

With all those downsides, why sphere anyone?

Spherelings will always (or almost always) accept alliances with you, and a large sphere means potentially a lot of military power.

If your territory is lacking in certain important resources like coal and iron and the UK is buying up all the stuff that makes it to the world market like the assholes they are, you can sphere a country that produces the resources you're missing to get it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah generally, sphering small and medium sized countries with little industry is good, what you don't want to do is sphere industrialized countries who'll compete with your domestic production, and what you REALLY don't want to do is sphere China or a Russia or USA that's somehow dropped out of GP status while remaining mostly-teritorially-intact because that will completely gently caress the world economy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I noticed that states have the national market that they're in prominently displayed on them, that implies that markets can encompass individual states, not just entire countries. I'm guessing this is to represent stuff like great power spheres of influence in China.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Interesting seeing markets don't necessarily have to abide by national borders. Makes sense, you could use that to model stuff like European spheres of influence in China. What's the deal with Nice being part of France's market in 1836? I know Sardinia-Piedmont eventually returned that area to France, but I'm not particularly well-versed in that bit of history and a quick perusal of wikipedia isn't giving me any idea why Nice would be connected to France in this way in 1836.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you lack railways would stuff still get imported as needed but is just more expensive? Like for a few hundred years the Siberian fur trade was of incredible importance for Russia's interest in expanding out eastwards and relied heavily on sleds/fording rivers and so on similar to the North American fur trade to feed the appetite for furs in various European capitals.

Can goods from a non railway area still make it to another country/continent? And if so, how does not having a railway effect it vs having one?

Yes, states with underdeveloped infrastructure can still trade with the national market. They covered this to some extent in the last dev diary, when they were talking about Market Access, which is, in turn, dependent on infrastructure. The amount of goods that states sell is scaled based on their market access, so a state with underdeveloped infrastructure can still sell stuff to the national market, but they'll sell less than if they had better infrastructure, and the remainder will be sold on the local market, which will probably have a lower price for the good than the national market.

I'm assuming states have some amount of base infrastructure to represent pre-industrial trade methods, even before infrastructure bonuses from rivers and stuff.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 12, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

guidoanselmi posted:

I wonder if provinces with canals, navigable rivers, or coastlines can at least get a infrastructure bonus - even with no ports.

We know major rivers and lakes give an infrastructure bonus. Coastlines I'm not so sure about, though they mentioned that sea trade is covered through a different system than infrastructure that they'll talk about in the future.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Red Bones posted:

I wonder if difficult terrain (i.e. jungles, mountains, deserts etc) give an infrastructure malus, or if it's handled some other way.

Maybe less base infrastructure + higher cost for building railroads (and other infrastructure buildings?).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Buller posted:

No skilled labourers? What about carpenters, smiths and masons?

If it works like Vicky 2, then "clerks" represent most skilled laborers. With probably many others falling into the "engineer" and "machinist" categories depending on how you wanna define "skilled laborers."

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 18, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Agean90 posted:

the giant skull is the first challenge ottoman empire has to face, only be developing enough machinery and rail capacity to move are you free to wage war

Finally, those darwinist bastards will get what's coming to them

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thank you for explaining.
... is there any basis in reality for that? Because it sounds weird to me, someone who does not know anything about state-level financials.

The explanation they give is that when the government is hoarding gold, it increases the price of gold. See the tooltip here.

I have no idea if this is accurate.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

guidoanselmi posted:

V3 DLC to include gold reserve room to CK3’s throne room, but you can swim in it like Scrooge McDuck.

73%: [head of state] dies!
27%: +100 prestige

... Actually, now that I think about it, do we know if prestige is a thing in V3?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'd like to report a bug, my french pops are all obsessed with wine and have remained so for the entire game

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My pops are all obsessed with opium, and now my productivity is plummeting, what do I do

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This dev diary is amazing, I love the direction this game is going.

Making pop needs able to be met by different goods and the pops making their own economic decisions as to how to best meet those needs is absolutely fantastic.

Also, I wonder if the need for "heating" is seasonal or tied to geography in any way. Like, all else being equal, does a pop in Havana have the same heating needs as a pop in Stockholm?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Having thenumber of great powers be dynamic is a good idea. More often than not in Vicky 2, GPs 7 and 8 totally irrelevant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Smiling Knight posted:

There's an illustrative article by a French theorist in around ~1900 arguing that in order to combat higher Prussian birthrates, France must make its colonial subjects into true Frenchmen, culturally and politically. Can't remember the name, but it does show that there was some interest in the metropole for this kind of program, even if it is only in a nation under intense inter-Great Power pressure.

Portugal had, in theory, a similar colonial policy in the 20th century. In practice, it meant almost no difference to the colonized populations and was nothing but propaganda made to make their imperialism seem more humane and an excuse to hold on to their African colonies longer than other European states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimilado

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1453360841819045905

Excited to see how they work after all the mentions of diplomatic plays in recent dev diaries.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Diary about diplomatic plays is out!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1453753675764150277

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1455912664937291784

This is gonna be a big one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I didn't think they'd actually do it, but I'm excited to see how they make it work. I've never found moving armies around the map to be a particularly engaging part of Paradox games anyway, I've always found the nation-building (or in the case of CK, the characters) to be far more compelling. A different war system that's made for this era of world history is exactly what this game needed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I believe Wiz mentioned at some point that rebellions in V3 are supposed to be rarer but more dangerous than in V2, so maybe they could be handled by this military system, whatever it is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The family name of the monarchs of Korea should be "Yi," not "Joseon." :colbert:

It's like the Paradox devs have never watched a single sageuk, smh

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ilitarist posted:

I secretly hope since Imperator Rome that general personality would affect their army behaviour. Like that dude might not be a great general but he's fine with attacking the enemy with human waves so that we finish the war by Christmas. And this front needs just to be maintained till we win on the others so here we put a cautious quartermaster.

This would absolutely own, and the apparent focus on generals in this dev diary is giving me hope this will be the case.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like the idea behind the fronts system. The old-style Paradox war system never really felt all that interesting to me, so a departure from that is very welcome. I feel like being able to set strategic targets outside of wargoals seems like it should absolutely be in the game, but as far as I've read it's just a "maybe we'll add that, maybe not" at this point in development. I'm also curious to see just how navies are gonna work.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Long Korea finally opens the Dakar-to-Busan route

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1460986092073598979

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011