Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Excited to see if there's an iteration of the crisis system; it was a great way of creating tension /grudges between the great powers that could eventually build up to the Great War (and gave you something to do as a secondary power with territory held by someone else).

I also like what NNM did with some form of peace conferences following Great Wars, where you could declare your interest in how a specific power was going to be carved up (adding badboy for more involvement), then being able to say, e.g. that territory should go straight to you, become a mandate or actually truly be made independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
From Wiz on Reddit: no fixed number of Great Powers. Rank is set by prestige compared to the worldwide average.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Looks like a united Japan (at the moment anyway)... maybe a civil war mechanic for the Boshin war?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Randarkman posted:

Why would Shogunate Japan not be united? It had basically been united and at peace (and prospering which is an important element of why and how Japanese modernization and industrialization was possible and so rapid) with a very strong central government in Edo (which I'm pretty sure was the largest city in the world until London overtook it as the industrial revolution got going) (edit!) for more than 200 years.

Looks like this has been addressed in the thread, but I was ignorant (just going off NNM and FOTS) so I guess TIL v:shobon:v

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

God drat this is the poo poo I live for

Edit: "Communist East India Company" is why you play Vicky

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 31, 2021

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Yeah, I feel like the feeling that needs to be captured is that any decision - even status quo - is pissing off a lot of people, and the Civil War should be threatening/damaging enough that the player is incentivised to walk the line because the status quo is at least not outright war. Otherwise it turns into the Vicky2 gamey thing of "how can I piss off the South quickly enough to pop the war and get the issue out of the way"

(I'm not saying the war should be tedious/frustrating to play... I'm just trying to get at a system that replicates the concerns on leaders of the time.)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm not demanding that they split up meat types or anything. I just recalled that they said they were going to tackle religious dietary taboos, and wondered if that included meat (and how they'd handle that if so).

In the example of vegetarians in India, just have certain pops consume goods differently? Hindu pops have a flat X% reduction of meat consumption but larger consumption of grains or something to balance it out, Muslim/Mormon pops have a drastically lower consumption of alcohol but will use more coffee (maybe not the Mormons), etc?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As for specifics, the US really shouldn't have total separation of church and state. Or there should be a layer of 'Societal Attitudes' underneath, which take even longer to change, where all the unofficial discrimination happens.

I agree, but also there's a bit of a standpoint question. I could believe that the idea of total separation of church and state (however imagined) was a pull factor for some immigrants.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Baronjutter posted:

That's exciting, specially since it sounds like all those social/economic/government policies are fairly decoupled from each other unlike previous victoria games. I hope we'll have the freedom to do really odd things like a monarchy with worker-owned industries or just any mix of models.

Bees???

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Red Bones posted:

Given what has already been explained about how countries work in Vic 3 with interest groups and pop types etc, I'm not sure how the governance stuff in the EIC would work. Can a pop be a member of multiple nations? The EIC was run by the board and the shareholders, who would have been British merchants/aristocracy outside of the ones actually living in India, so it could make sense to allow a bunch of british pops to also make up the decision-making population of the EIC.

Surely this could just be represented by a core of English-culture "EIC Citizens" that form the bulk of the interest groups alongside some discriminatory policies? Not 100% how it worked IRL but might be suitable enough without having to have bespoke mechanics built around it.

I would guess that the EIC is similar to a HOI4 puppet where any significant change in the internal politics (or even the overlord) would basically change the tag name/presentation...

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
They're doing it, they're really doing it

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
As a compromise, armies will no longer be manually controllable on the map but political party members will.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Is there a strategy in Vicky2 to splitting up two great power alliances. As japan I want to Ally NGF or britain but theyre allied to each other and will never accept my alliance offer.

Ask the Kaiser to make a public speech

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
It's a shame groogy's leaving PDS and Vicky 3 has to be cancelled as a result :(

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Orange Devil posted:

Also if you manage to blackmail a bunch of big players one after another through basically signalling that you are willing to completely suicide your country to inconvenience them just enough that they'll fall behind other major powers but can be appeased through a small concession by the major power in some (for them) backwater part of their huge empire. Add some of those together and now maybe you are a medium-sized power and can begin to take on more serious endeavors.

Someone might call your bluff ofcourse at which point probably your game is about to end but eh what can you do?

The Serbia gambit

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they promised easy modding to do this!

though my first mod is still going to be putting the original pop icons back in :colbert:

I'm afraid this is wrong, and the first change will be correcting "factory" to "factroy"

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Red Bones posted:

Re unrecognised countries, since a stated design goal of the game is that everything you can gain through warfare should be achievable via diplomacy, I would assume you can become recognised without winning a war against a European.

Presumably you'd like, industrialise and then send out diplomatic missions to the British, or gain a significant role in global trade, or take a booth out at a worlds fair or something.

Or even just a successful diplomatic play, if it's impactful enough (I don't know how that would theoretically be measured), could do it. An assertive enough unrecognised Japan successfully making a play on the Russian far East during an inopportune time and walking away with territorial gains could be enough to have the rest of the world take notice even without it coming to blows.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Great Powers jumping in on other GPs' diplomatic plays with Unrecognised nations is very exciting. Should provide lots of opportunities for friction between the GPs and might be a fun balancing act to manage when decentralised countries become playable

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

HannibalBarca posted:

Hmm, not sure I like importing CK ruler traits to Victoria 3...

I'm fine with it so long as they're not huge swings and it can't be powergamed. Ideally it's Head of Goverment and not head of state (except maybe in autocracies? I don't care about Victoria but it would be good to have the potential for an idiot Kaiser who passes everyone off). It'd be great to have small traits that can impact the AI too, so Britain suddenly replaces a Russophilic PM with a Russophobe and the alliance is strained.

Even if it's something predictable like every leader has a positive and a negative trait, it can go a long way to building some flavour. IIRC V2 has leader traits that ever so slightly tweak general/admiral stats and behaviour.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I'm looking forward to playing Victoria 3

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Definitely not first game, but I'm keen to try out the United Tribes in New Zealand. This thread on the Paradox forums has made me wanna see how the situation can better be reflected with modding down the line, but New Zealand is a really interesting case study in this time period for getting into the complexity of interactions between a great power and Indigenous peoples.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This cultural map looks good, though I hope that this represents the majority culture for pops in each province rather than the only culture.

Where's greater Serbia

What an awful snype

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

eXXon posted:

Is there a 10-page thread on the precise extent of the Hungarian part of Transylvania or on the existence of Australian culture yet?

Australian culture refers to eating a sausage on bread, drinking a Fosters VB XXXX Gold, taking off your thongs and chucking old mate into the pool :colbert:

(It's a bit weird to have a non-Indigenous "Australian" culture in 1836 but I guess it's necessary for assimilation to work?)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Hellioning posted:

Reddit and the official forums are Very Upset

Evergreen post

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Paradox sure loved their Dies Irae

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Sometimes the thread re-invents communism, sometimes it re-invents feudalism

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
As much as a mess of hot code that Egypt playthrough was, realising all their factories were gone was a pretty good moment.

Who sabotaged Egypt?

Martin...

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
As someone who recently wrapped up Greater Germany and Russia Vicky2 campaigns (with GFM), I'll be quite happy to not wrangle a billion brigades. I wish there was a way to template armies; the rally point system is a start but it's a real pain splitting out conscript armies and giving them supporting arty/engineer/plane/tank brigades

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Eiba posted:

Wait, I think this could work.

I was thinking that crashing the world economy might be impossible with national markets being the way things are organized, but I think with clippers there may be a way.

Universal paper clippers

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

CrypticTriptych posted:

For all the "grain tax" memes I swear every screenshot and video I've seen, there's a grain shortage in the market. It's making me itch. Just build more farms, dammit! Having cheap grain seems like national stability 101.

When the last bank is destitute, the last share market rock-bottom, the last telephone factory shuttered - only then you will realise that one cannot invest grain

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ilitarist posted:

The IG system begs for some regional entrenched groups, but it's probably very hard to draw the line. Like it's strange that (I assume) only the official religion has representation as Clergy, but this can of worms is too dangerous to tackle.

Wouldn't this depend on the discrimination laws? I would think that enfranchisement/non-discrimination for same religious group/ other groups would impact which religions' Clergy the Devout draws power from (even if they do broadly support the same ideas). Though I may be way off.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Raenir Salazar posted:

"The bureaucracy expands to cover the needs of the expanding bureaucracy." - Leonard Nimoy, Civilization IV.

Great point, may I also add: "I fooled you. I fooled you. I got pig iron. I got pig iron. I got all pig iron" - Leonard Nimoy, Civilization IV

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I would simply not lose the mandate of Heaven.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Holy gently caress I've started the tutorial as Belgium (as far as the raise your GDP challenge) and I have no idea what's going on, there's a lot going around

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
So far, I'm really enjoying the economic management/supply chain puzzle - there are interesting decisions to be made about how you want to gear your economy, what you should produce locally and what you can just export, etc. I'm also digging the political system, even if the transition from authoritarian backwater to full-progress parliamentary republic with no discrimination seems a bit easy to pull off. It's fun juggling IG power and saying "ah, these assholes again" when an event pops up because the industrialists have hurt feelings. The economics and the internal politics are, as has been said, the heart of the game and I think it's an excellent start.

I think what's missing at the moment is more of a reason to care about what's going on elsewhere - as a non-GP I feel pretty limited in what I can actually do to change my relationship with other powers - it's especially weird how, as Sweden, I can't really do anything with my puppet Norway. It all feels a bit passive. I haven't actually initiated a diplo play yet, but that's in part because I want to set things up diplomatically first with the other powers so I can be more confident of a good outcome.

I'm also wishing for some more bespoke events or even just announcements. Some HoI4-style announcements that, e.g., the Americans are having a civil war, oh how silly, would give me a reason to look up from my economic Rubik's cube.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Can a revolution fight for a bundle of laws, or is it only ever one at a time?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Traxis posted:

You can always re-import from the British. Apparently trade loops like that create resources and trade value out of thin air

Hell yes, this is the Vicky(TM) shenanigans I'm here for

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

buglord posted:

Do the buildings I build influence the clout of certain IGs? I still don’t quite figure out how IGs work, how their strength is determined from “wealth”, how that bleeds into clout and election momentum. The whole thing is a black box for me.

Generally, yes, depending on what PMs you're using.

Keep in mind every building has employees, and (assuming the building runs a profit or is subsidised) those employees get paid, which contributes to their wealth and subsequently their clout.

A simple example is Servicemen and Officers. Your naval bases and barracks employ servicemen and officers, who would be in some other line of work (or would be forced into one anyway) if the barracks didn't exist. Your military funding in turn affects their salary. You jack up the funding, your servicemen and officers will get more money and so more clout. You slash the funding and they will lose power. Your PMs can also tweak your proportions: as you increase Naval Traditions (the purple one), you'll be employing slightly more officers and less servicemen, so the balance of that salary money will shift more towards the officers as you adopt new PMs.

Those pops support varying IGs to different degrees, so favouring officers over servicemen may also slightly contribute to empowering the Landowners (after Armed Forces, Landowners are the second-largest tendency for officers).

Other buildings work the same: who works there (and in what proportions) affects where the salaries and dividends go, which affects who in your country has money and power.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 7, 2022

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Paradox please add a "purchase of commissions" slider

Maybe a late-game "political appointments" so your red army only ever hires based on IG clout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Feels like if I as unified Germany have the North German federation in my customs union/as a protectorate AND have relatively good relations they should just ask to join Germany.

Also a bit weird that all the German states I inherited are Unincorporated states? I know that there should be some representation of the administrative difficulty of bringing in a new state, but it was their idea too, I would hope we'd all have been a bit more prepared for it :v: