Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Pretty much mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Cockblocktopus posted:

Victoria 2 never fully clicked for me (or Paradox apparently?) but the expansion Wiz put out right after joining the company made it playable and a lot more interesting. Very excited to buy this and stare at maps!

Eh.. Wiz didnt do the expansions for v2. That was podcat and darkrenown

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

JosefStalinator posted:

In Vicky 1, you could manually promote entire populations into soldiers, then make units from those soldier populations. You could use those specific units on suicide missions until you destroyed the entire population of a state or whatever.

Ah yes... dont forget also getting severe carpal tunnel syndrme from doing it.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.
Its not as if our dev teams sit around and ignore bugs and complaints. There are huge backlogs of reported bugs on all games that has become rather hard to permanently reduce. When developers are on bugfixing, there tend to be one of the following things happening.

- bugs related to features for the next update is highest priority.
- bugs related together that a GD or producer priorities.
- something the developer noticed in the code, or by playing and is a simple 1-line fix, like blocking unloading in combat.
- “low hanging fruit” ie, lots of easy and simple fixes a QA or producer have identified as such, and are handled in focus days.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Mantis42 posted:

Honestly the last Paradox game I actually loved was EU4 so if this sucks then I think I'll give up on them.

In the last decade what you view as paradox has grown from a team of 8-10 people led by me to about 7 different studios with 25-100 people in each with the creative leadership being differrent. While we still talk and have a lot of knowledge sharing its creates a difference in philosophies and goals with the games.

If we just view new games, as DLC are so much easier to do compared to a new game, we now have 4 different paths of ganes,

All old then hoi 3, v2, eu4, imperator => me.
Ck2, stellaris, ck3 => Doomdark
HoI4 => podcat
Victoria 3 => Wiz

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Lady Radia posted:

feel like if you're including HoI3 it's only fair to include Sengoku and March of the Eagles

Yesh, blame me for them as well. I am so old and senile now that i dont remember which order we made some games now

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Waifu Radia posted:

maybe, but they turned him down the first interview bc he didn't have enough C++ experience or something lol, so i remember there was a second iteration eventually

He failed the programmer skill tests, but i liked his passion so hired him as an AI dev.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Lawman 0 posted:

They 100% did not play after 1870 in their playtests.
Edit: same studio that also literally handwaved naval warfare in crusader kings.

PDS is not a single studio anymore, its seven different entities with different setup and skills. Whatever designs done with ck3 when it comes to naval aspects is not very likely to have influenced or affected V3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

just a friendly reminder to distinguish the ones working on the game (like Wiz) from people who set business practices and policies for the game. Honestly, this type of game has so many moving parts and system considerations that makes me imagine that expansion packs of old would be better instead of dlc granularity, since there's so much stuff possible to work on that makes sense in both theme and gameplay (imho).

Using Wiz as an example for that may not be the ideal representative, as its the game director who decides what type of products to make, when they should be out, and most other business related decisions.