Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to play Victoria 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goons wanting the game to start in 1815, that the game doesn't have a world war and have nukes is the reason why goons ain't designing victoria 3.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fondly remembering playing Portugal in Vic2 and desperately trying to pump out battleships to raise my military score but only having four provinces from where I could produce the naval tin cans.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torrannor posted:

I admit, I never even tried Vicky 1 or 2 because of the time period. I'm simply turned off by "modern" weapons. Sword and lances and bow (and optionally magic)? Sign me up. Ion cannons, plasma rifles, antimatter bombs? They're my jam!

Ballistic rifles, artillery, tanks, airplanes? I don't care for that at all. And I did my mandatory 9 months conscription service in Germany (before we abolished conscription), and I didn't really hate it, but something about that period in military history (up to the present) just generally doesn't interest me. It's a problem I have with the Total War games as well, I've never enjoyed the combat in Empire or Fall of the Samurai. I played Empire: Total War basically purely for it's mapgame, because I autoresolved every single fight, which is probably not the proper way to play a Total War game, but I still got some enjoyment out of it.

Now I do like the politics of the Vicky period, but as I said, I simply don't enjoy the warfare aspect of that time. Reading your post filled me with a bit of dread, I seriously considered dipping my toes into a Victoria game for the first time with Vicky 3, especially with the announcement about warfare being... deemphasized? I don't have to know about muzzleloaded vs needle firing rifles, do I? Make detailed tactical plans how to counter an enemy's heavy gun howitzers? I really appreciate Crusader King's warfare system for making army composition in a way less important. If it's important to really understand 19th century warfare, then Vicky 3 might not be for me :(

My take on your post is that you'd love conscription during the Thirty Years War :v:

(i'm kidding, I was seriously averse to sci-fi warfare for a long time too. Only a few exceptions like Age of Wonders Planetfall or Xcom passed my lenses).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reveilled posted:

Huh, I always heard that Africa was a matter of the Europeans drawing completely arbitrary lines on a map, turns out the pre-colonial societies already lined up exactly!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Having Japan start unified in the base game is more of a contrivance to make running Japan convenient for the player but isn't accurate.
This is a video game. We want to play Victoria 3, which is a video game that was recently announced.

Vasukhani posted:

I still don't get it. If you say that the Trotskyist conspiracy is real, as the game does, that means that the victims were at least partially traitors. Reminder this is a thing that actually happened and not a paragon/renegade choice in mass effect.
The point is that Hoi4 makes you purge political and military leaders because otherwise Trotsky, or even Vlasov, make a coup and absolutely ruin your game just before the Nazis kick you in the face.

There's no decision to go Trotskyist, no decision to give Kamenev more influence, you either act 100% like Stalin or you get severely penalized. (yes i know Trotsky has some apparently broken mechanics, but you'll only be aware of them if you're powergaming and are intentionally gunning for them).

It's very bad design. If Paradox developed a cold war video-game where, as a lingering fascist Portugal, I had to actively gun down colonial protests and democratic organizations because, it turns out, they were all Soviet conspiracies and I would turn into a Soviet satellite if I tried to go off the (very bloody) beaten path, I would be livid.

Sending in the cavalry to break up protests from the poors demanding bread and better living conditions in 1860 while you really really need that extra income to buy a battleship to keep up with your rival is still letting you be a very bad person, but that's an abstract policy where you're not defending an actual horrible event, and you can still NOT be a terrible person without crippling yourself. This unfortunately isn't what's presented to you as the Soviets in HoI4 and I hope it gets addressed in the new expansion, even if it is a sort of tragic-comedy to pay an extra 20 euros to play as a Soviet Union that's not a Stalin-Beria love affair.

BillBear posted:

Also, the Steam forums of course has someone crying because they removed the uncivilised name and replaced it with something more historical. Some guys are legit mad that places like Japan, Iran or Qing aren't painted as barbarians for *some* reason. Couldn't imagine what.

Do you mean in modern terms or in Victoria 2 contemporary terms?

Because on the latter, playing as the British, you could probably pick with one hand the number of people they wouldn't consider absolute, ruthless unwashed savages. And you wouldn't even need to leave Europe to see these comments :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

This is a pretty small thing all things considered, but I find it really weird if they've actually put down Vlasov as (I assume) a potential leader of a Soviet Union turned fascist. The thing is that Vlasov's defection to Nazi Germany was very much a result of the specific circmstances of his defeat and capture in 1942. While it seems he harbored anti-bolshevik sentiments, he decidedly had not been outspoken and political before the war and was a careerist (supposedly a pretty good division commander) more than anything else.
While he certainly became an icon of treason and collaboration, he probably would never have defected if he had bed not been captured under the specific circumstances he was at a time in the war where it seemed Germany would still win. Basically he doesn't really make sense as a Russian leader of any ideology apart for maybe a fascist puppet government set up by Germany.

Yeah, it's extremely bizarre and it honestly just left me...annoyed?

There's still plenty of white army lunatics in 1936 that would gladly collaborate voluntarily with Hitler if the circumstances were right. Instead, vlaslov because someone looked up "general of fascist Russians" or something on Google and called it a day.

In the meantime, paradox gave so much detail to Portugal that, if you liberate Angola and Mozambique, you get accurate historical figures of Angolan and Mozambican society as leaders.

It's really weird how they invested their focus in the game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vasukhani posted:

I hope that the confed actually puts up a meaningful fight though. In Vicky II it was really anti-climatic.

There was one game I played as ultra conservative Austria where they somehow survived and ended up being the sixth great power.

I allied them so the world war was a monstrosity where Germany and Austria fought Russia and France while civil war 2 ran on the other side of the Atlantic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the african theatre of the great war, there were a few thousand british, portuguese, and german kia and tens of thousands of "porters" who just so happened to die of extremely natural causes during the campaign, volunteers all of course. They just really loved being subjects of an empire.
The first wave of Portuguese soldiers reaching Mozambique in ww1 were in ships that couldn't reach the harbor so they ordered Africans into the sea to carry the Portuguese and the supplies on their back ashore.

A lot of people simply don't grasp just how much Europeans didn't care about the African as a human being.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Where it makes sense to model unfree labour from "western" nations is things like convict colonies like Australia (because there is a non-trivial economic effect). Representing the extraction of wealth/labour from colonies in a similar abstract way makes more sense to me.

The French declaring everyone to be French doesn't mean that everyone was equal on the eyes of the government, had equal responsibilities or were even considered citizens in any realistic sense of the term.

The Senegalese fought and died in the trenches and the survivors were returned without much care.

Independence movements only got enough strength to be an active challenge well after 1936, so the idea of treating the colonies with care, respect and sustainability, while laudable, were simply not the case for any of the Europeans in Africa. It might be a choice in vic3 (I certainly hope so), but for the person who a few pages back wanted an incredibly detailed development of Japanese political society, this is a weird turn into fiction.

It's doubly weird to let communist revolutions to open "gulags". The GULAG had no relevant economic contribution to the soviet economy and their peak was during the war, specifically due to prisoners of war.

In game terms, what would it accomplish? Let communist states create gulags for economic and political bonuses, which is an absolutely horrifying and whitewash thing to do?

Your argument gets even worse on the last argument. Convict colonies in Australia were absolutely meaningless in economic value compared to the millions of Indians and Africans who went through "totally voluntary" labor for the empires in Africa and India, but that doesn't mean they should develop a "coerce millions into legal slavery while pretending it isn't" mechanic. Mozambique was a never ending trading post of human trafficking, in legal Victorian terms.

Maybe we shouldn't let Communists create a GULAG system, the fascists create death camps or the capitalists create concentration camps and maybe let's hope they focus on actually making good gameplay that doesn't turn horrifying concrete moments in history into "+3 productivity, -1 unrest".

Vasukhani posted:

vicky II where soviet style communism is objectively the best type of gov being anti tankie is deffo a take

playing as communist Russia and having to deal with creating every single factory myself was hell. I literally let the social democrats coup me just so I could focus on other things. I hope this changes in Vic 3

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raenir Salazar posted:

This isn't historically
Again with the historically accuracy argument. The game ends in 1936 and you want mechanics of anti colonialism that developed after the second world war and the end of the soviet block which happened sixty years later.

Making blatant direct alusions to gulag in the game is whitewashing them because you're turning them into positive traits (using them to develop the interior and increase raw material production???)

There's no such direct, blatant mechanics on vic2 and for good reason. You don't put Boers in concentration camps for +2 political stability , you don't put Union soldiers in horrifying camps as the confederates for 5% moralle, you don't put minorities in camps as a fascist government for a +10% tax revenue for five years.

There are very obvious reasons for this, I shouldn't have to develop on this. In an ideal vic3, you won't either have a feudal, splintered Japan nor gulags, because both contribute nothing outside of the really fanatic groups that think it's really important to roleplay as some very specific people.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed anything gamebreaking happen in V2.

If you play multiplayer, you can't destroy the world economy if four or five human players try to produce a large amount of infantry units right at the start.

Also, the crisis overlay can big if humans click it too hard and the crisis never occurs, great power status gets stuck forever and alliances are stuck as well for the rest of the game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takanago posted:

even if the game somehow comes out perfectly balanced and unbreakable, you can still get the good v1/v2 fix by installing whatever inevitable steppe wolf-like mod gets made for it

I wonder if that dude is still developing his mod.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chlF5oubFHU

Give me Zeppelins in the game, even if they suck as much as the historical ones.

They were pretty okay when you bear in mind the insanity of the concept of "giant hydrogen balloon that can easily explode for virtually any reason".

Hell, two-thirds of the Hindenburg crew and passengers survived the disaster. Those are pretty good numbers for a flaming ball free-falling into the earth!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People keep posting suggestions here that makes me think they don't really want to play a video game. I'm not sure what they actually want.

Crazycryodude posted:

The Triple Alliance and Ottoman-German alliance (the one that brought them both in against Russia) are literally taught as the classic example of the secret alliance system but go off

Go read guns of august. Stop this.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want to play vic3

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if victoria 3 is a train simulator game with diplomacy, I wouldn't be mad.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Playing tiny countries is a pretty bad move for learning any Paradox game. Tiny countries need specific, railroaded strategies that you can't deviate from. They're bad for learning.

Play a big country that can actually absorb a mistake here or there. One of the good things about Paradox games is that they usually make running a big country similarly complex to running a small one.
I've literally learned to play all modern paradox games by playing as Portugal, and that includes hoi4.

Having less things to manage and being less in the focus of the AI is a good thing to learn the ropes with.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my favorite thing about old paradox games are that they tied history directly into it.

So you'd be playing as France, dominating Europe without issues and BOOM, it turns out you go into massive debt because your lousiana colonies were fraudulent (even if you had no colonies there).

You stabilized everything and you're back in shape? Doesn't matter, here's the french revolution.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frionnel posted:

That reminds me that i wish EU4 ironman let you do a single separate save a month into the game, because reloading the game a dozen times due to RNG if i want to play Byz or Albania is not fun gameplay.

Just...don't play ironman?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

You should probably read a more nuanced history of the war tbh. The generals in WWI were constantly innovating and switching tactics to try and break the stalemate on the Western Front

Guns of August is a book about August 1914. Joffre was being Joffre throughout the entire month.

VostokProgram posted:

Dumping armies into an abstract front and hoping you win the war sounds boring as gently caress and I hope paradox ignores all such suggestions

Manually controling every single unit late game in Victoria and having to handle the terrible mobilization mechanic was pure and simply a terrible thing.

I hope late game Victoria has a model closer to HOI and that supplies actually matter.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goons and MLG YouTubers need to be able to make tedious army movements so that they can bait the bad AI into being encircled and then pretend they're geniuses.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like historical accuracy so I want NATO counters for games based on time periods before NATO was a thing.

(I do wish there were more visual differences between units in Hoi4 tho. EU4 has absolutely beautiful and unique unit designs for virtually every relevant nation)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazycryodude posted:

Specifically points that you stockpile and then spend in big lump sums, mana isn't just "any resource in a game" but saving up 120 dove points to build some more plantations instantly when you hit the button. Victoria 3's capacities look a lot better to me, even if in practical terms locking 10 dove capacity points per month on promoting plantation construction for a year is kinda the same as saving up 120 dove points. It just "feels" more like a simulation than a board game in my head if the ship of state is slower to turn and there's like a streaming economy that takes time and intention to do things rather than stockpiling arbitrary dove points that are perfectly fungible and can be converted into any kind of dove project instantly on demand.

Just a note, dove points don't allow instant constructions on eu4 and as far as I'm aware never did

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's fair and yeah I agree.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I was younger, clipper was a fine name because the point here isn't to state that you're building a literal, specific type of boat that was used to traffic opium or whatever.

It was a simple term to designate a vessel with sails, as opposed to the incoming ships that had motors on them.

But the game also called basically everyone in the world uncivilized, so there might be an argument on taking a look into the naming department.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At least a bad Vicky 3 is almost guaranteed to be a so-bad-its-good clusterfuck and not just a polished pile of boring like release Imperator

it can't be worse than release vicky 2 and yellow prussia

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeron posted:

Imperator was a perfectly competent game on release..it's just the devs vision for the game didn't match what pretty much anyone else wanted. People didn't actually want a sequel to EU:Rome (which is what it was on release), they wanted a modern paradox game set in the EU:Rome era. By all accounts it's massively improved and is actually fun now.
I don't think people wanted EU: rome. In fact, it looking and feeling so much like EU is the reason why I had no interest in it

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really curious if you're going for a classless society if that's even possible within the game mechanics. Absolutely you'd have worker-owner factories, but I wonder if there will be special laws to equalize all wages in factories so labourers and machinists and engineers all get the same wage.
This is not how classless societies work though. Remember, to which according to their ability.

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is definitely one of the best parts of Victoria for me; but there are some considerations I feel, some of them sadly and frustratingly meta.

There is one problem with this approach where since everyone who plays Victoria knows that this is the case, everyone who has any experience in the game at all will be incentivized not to go to war, and will as I've seen repeatedly in countless multiplayer games, actively refuse to go to war and go to elaborate oligarchic behaviours to insure they never have to. The Haves keep everything, and the Have-Nots just have to suck it and cannot meaningfully challenge the status quo. Imagine a game where UK, France and Russia agree to basically never let the Italian and Prussia players unite their nations because these are players whose roles incentivize them to actually pick fights and picking a fight is the last thing any of these three other players want; and their risk adverseness results in them being more willing to make concessions to the other great powers than to let the possibility of a war break out.
To be fair, this is because we all learn via trauma how terrible and costly wars in the end of vic 2 can be. It's why basically everyone's interest in war collapsed after 1918, save for revolutionary conflicts and\or civil wars. If the British, French and Russian empires all collectively wanted Prussia to stay in their own backyard and Italy to never form, then that would've been the same thing in real life. Why isn't the German aspirant convincing the Russians that they'd be a great counterbalance against France? Why Isn't Italy guaranteeing the British player that they'll secure the Mediterranean for them free of charge in exchange for support in unifying the country?

That's diplomacy at work right there. If a sixth player was running as the Otomans or Austria-Hungary, then the have not players would be able to conspire much better and get concessions, but three human players running as Brits, French and Russians are basically playing in co-op mode, since the interests of all three are so conveniently converged.

I think war in vic 3 should be as equally violent and costly for your economy, but as you say, how to handle war itself should be much easier on the player than it currently is, since it's incredibly tedious to set up rally points to gather up all the mobilized infantry that's scattered all over the place.

Some sort of frontline and army system like HoI can benefit it, but it would also feel very unnecessary or weird during the first half of the game. I'm sure they'll come up with something great.

JosefStalinator posted:

As are most miscarriages of justice.

There are millions of Vicky 2 players like me, and we're getting sick of people like you blaming your problems on us. We outnumber you, and the people that think like you. DON'T gently caress WITH US.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raenir Salazar posted:

That doesn't work because the game isn't real life, the IRL rulers don't have historical context plus benefit of hindsight of dozens of previous games to let them know what the result will be from listening to those overtures.

Basically there's an implicit step your missing here from my previous post: That the Germany and Italy players are completely locked out of playing the actual game; and its actually impossible to convince the other players. Diplomacy as you understand it ceases to be a meaningful part of the gameplay experience.
But if this was EU or HoI, it would be the same thing.

If the UK, France and USSR players wanted to box the German and Italian players in, they would send volunteers to Ethiopia and Spain, make no appeasement in the Munich treaty and the two axis players would be done in 1938.

And if the French, English and Muscovite (maybe polish for a more fitting comparison) wanted the Prussian and Milanese player not to unite their countries, then they simply wouldn't.

Your scenario has three human players playing a co-op game using the three of the most military powerful nations available, nothing short of another three player alliance would break that mold, be it in Vic, EU, hoi, civilization, dominions or any other strategy game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaysBefore posted:

Pretty sure they said there's unlimited money. No longer will the global economy collapse because some fatcats in Saskatoon own literally all the money in the world

but can i still destroy the world's economy buy recruiting a lot of infantry on day 1 of the game?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really excited to see how they handle immigration and if you're able to attract people if you have a decent standard of living and a stable economy, which unfortunately was basically impossible in any relevant terms if you weren't the United States.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the funny thing is that South America did receive lots of immigrants, it wasn't a zero-sum game as it appears. IIRC Italy sent far more people to South America (especially Argentina) than the USA. The largest Japanese émigré community is in Brazil.

What Victoria never had before was representing the different incentives, public policies and initiatives that made immigration elsewhere possible. A lot of immigrants didn't even have the money for the ticket, but through immigration societies and embassy works, they managed to provide travel fees at least. German immigrants, especially from the south, were encouraged to go to Brazil because Maria Leopoldina (the empress) was a German Catholic and she provided a massive opinion incentive, so it goes

The fact that vanilla Vicky 2 straight up doesn't realize that Brazil was a colossal melting pot and land of massive, massive immigration just kinda confirmed that they built the game based on a British perspective from start to finish.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

If you can just straight-up give custom names to your nations and state areas and such, the way you can in CK3, you could just rename your newly-independent post-colonial nation "Wakanda". :getin:

Excellent bait

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah all the empires did that to one degree or another. Portugal at least half-heartedly tried to follow through during the Overseas Wars but that was only as a 'hearts and minds' thing. I think it kind of worked in Mozambique? That's the one they were winning before the Carnation Revolution I think.

The Portuguese system was so poo poo and so small minded that white Portuguese people from alentejo or Algarve, basically the south of the country, were considered lesser people due to being generally dirt poor and not living in the Designated Three Relevant Cities.

A poor white Portuguese in Africa was treated like a freak too, so the entire propaganda of "ultramarine provinces" didn't really encapsulate the whites living in the colonies, you can imagine how the Africans fared.

Angola and Mozambique were basically silenced by 1974, but Guinea was turning into virtually conventional warfare and the cost of sustaining all of this was impossible. Mozambique was relatively calmer than Angola or guinea tho, if I'm not mistaken, which helped a lot.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is an incredibly courageous thing to do and I applaud Wiz and I'll definitely keep my eye on how they're developing this idea.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, I don't see anything pointing to naval warfare being a bigger gameplay focus than land warfare. I mean, naval warfare is an even more obvious thing to abstract, given that it's very close to some ideal spherical warfare situation, where land wars at least have terrain and civilization to contend with. That navies have become more important in a strategic sense doesn't have to mean they're a major micro focus.

Also, on this time period, you had two colossally heavy american ships firing at each other for an entire day with no casualties, a Russian dark-comedy expedition to the far east, an Austrian ramming the Italian Navy and the British and Germans absolutely terrified of losing their pretty ships and doing one single long range battle during the first world war before withdrawing and never fighting again.

In this time period, navies were fundamental for strategic goals, but they were seldom used for their theoretically intended purpose.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

War, what is it good for?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilitarist posted:

Do you have any specific examples? I often hear something like that being said but never saw examples beyond quoting some dev from the forums.

I recall some changes being done because people would do some obscure mechanics to so some weird but cool tricks, like that guy who made a world conquest with ryoko.

Outside of that I only remember paradox constantly patching the AI to ensure that the latest trick to survive as bizantium didn't work anymore.

I kind of loved that. It was a constant game of cat and mouse between players finding new ways to beat the otomans while the Devs changed parameters.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weren't the events always there after hitting 100? Back in the day you had the badboy limit and you'd get flooded with terrible events if you passed it

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fellblade posted:

Some real dumb hot takes like I am saying losing is bad and shouldn’t be in games.

The game presents you with a choice, you pick an option and lose the game. That tells the user they made the wrong choice.

So you play again and maybe get into the same spot, you pick the other option this time and lose the game. What the gently caress?

This is confusing for users without an encyclopaedic knowledge of the game to know that the events hours in the past probably led to this, is that so confusing?

I am not saying remove it from the game, I am just stating that is a situation you should try to anticipate and avoid when designing game mechanics.

If you're Aragon and you're such a weak state that by refusing the unification with Castille, you're entering a losing war, that's not a problem with the feature, it's a problem that you're too weak to survive a war against a stronger neighbor.

If you're playing as the Livonian Order and Poland attacks you and makes you lose the game, that's not a design issue. It's a fact of playing minor nations being harder than stronger ones, which is why no one recommends Czechoslovakia or Manchuria as your first starting nation when you buy HoI4 or Bizantium and Navarra when you start off EU4.

Fellblade posted:

I guess we disagree on that then!

In my opinion, if you get to the point where you are warned they are diplo-annexing you it’s too late to stop it. Sure you can technically declare war to break free but they will crush you or you wouldn’t be in the situation (a vassal or whatever) in the first place.

Even if it doesn’t happen, if it feels like that it does, which anecdotally it does, then it is a flaw in communicating.

But by the point where you get the "do you want to be annexed" message, you've spent probably years as a small and weak vassal compared to your master? That entire time is the game telling you that you're in trouble.

New and inexperienced players shouldn't start a Vicky 3 game as Baden because not only will it not be a recommended country, but also visually obvious by looking at your gigantic neighbours that you're not in for a good time unless you know what you're doing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fellblade posted:

I mean you folks can believe your ‘feelings’ on the matter and I guess I’ll continue believing the actual humans this happened to and we can go on living our lives.

Losing at a video game isn't a traumatic experience, on paradox games it's just something that happens when you're learning the ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takanago posted:

Marge, just about everything is imperialism. You ever sat down and read this thing? Technically, we're not allowed to go to the bathroom.

Eiba posted:

What's actually being debated? Is it just semantics?

The Napoleonic Ogre wanted the Anglo to have reasonable measuring rules but the brave people of Worcesteroshire-upon-the-thane still measure their potatoes in stones and their apartment heights in feet length or something.