Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/nhzytu/first_images_of_victoria_3/

Images here. Really interesting is the government panel showing the interest groups and the laws they want you to pass, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Speaking of China, my one (...well... One of many) confusion with Vic2 is I have no idea how I'm supposed to interact with China like a proper imperialist. Conquering chunks of them is right out, as then you'd have a bunch of wrong culture, illiterate peasants mucking up your research. You cant sphere them, because then your economy explodes. So... What does one do?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

But can you grandfather people into suffrage?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zeron posted:

Awaiting the inevitable "only illiterate" suffrage mod. The ballot is write-in only.

Mr. X wins in a landslide.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

karmicknight posted:

imagine such mismanagement that your own army units would rebel.

“Be harmonious with each other, enrich the soldiers, and spurn all other men.”

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gaius Marius posted:

A capitalist sees that chart and immediately sets out to build another glass factory

"It's a growth industry! All the other capitalists can't be wrong!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Quorum posted:

give me a pie chart measuring bubbles please

:getin:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Who else here going to become a cave goblin when V3 comes out, communicating with your friends and loved ones by yelling CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS in a monocle and tophat

Surely you mean the red hat of liberty, comrade?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1420776379705032708?s=20

Choice quote:

quote:

Ways of decreasing the cost of providing Institutions to your people include:
Passing Laws to decentralize your Bureaucracy with elected rather than appointed officials
Society inventions like Behaviorism that provide insight into people management
Refraining from Incorporating colonies and conquered territories
Sending a whole bunch of people to their deaths in terrible wars (warning: side effects may vary).

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Beefeater1980 posted:

I thought it was following your interests without regard to commonsense understandings of morality, pace Palmerston “Britain has no permanent allies and no permanent enemies, only permanent interests.” Ideology is one of the things that goes into defining your interests, but not the only one.

I always thought of it as saying in international affairs, there is no higher law than the law of the jungle, where might makes right.

...so, basically the same thing.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I get the feeling that what they are going for here is that you might want to take expedient decisions but doing so will piss off your population who want to see their government Standing Up To Johnny Foreigner.

Yeah, I'm expecting a few incidents of "Ignore boorish insult that doesn't actually matter and piss of your pops" or "Rattle that saber for the honor of Queen and Country!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Maybe I missed it, but I don't really understand what the Political Movements do, outside of threatening civil war if they are very radical.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Wonder how similar serfdom is going to be handled as a pop? Maybe they can have higher standards of living, but still can't change profession or get wages?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zeron posted:

Ah they just answered this, here you go.

"Peasants with extra restrictions that are hard to promote" seems pretty reasonable!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

AnEdgelord posted:

Suddenly curious how the game is gonna handle internal US migrations like the Mormons heading to Missouri and then Utah.

Wouldn't pops love to where they could best fit the jobs in state regions? I don't think the game supports state level discrimination, though.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

DrSunshine posted:

Wouldn't they have to in order to simulate the situation in the USA, both pre- and post- Civil War?

Would it? I know they noted that some states could be either allow of forbid slavery, but my understanding was that other laws, including discrimination laws, were nationwide.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I saw the first few 'Historian's view of Vicky2' linked, but I haven't seen the last one linked.

https://acoup.blog/2021/09/03/collections-teaching-paradox-victoria-ii-part-iii-worlds-fair/

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cantorsdust posted:

Would have to be shockingly high. You could raise it high enough so that no one is within 75% of you, but they could still be a great power by having 3 times the average prestige. So unless you raise the average so high that no one else is 3 times above it (hard since there are probably over a hundred nations at game start given that China is rank 80), you'll still have some standouts.

You could turn your closest rivals into vassals, possibly?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It'll likely just be about some drat fool thing in the Balkans.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Baronjutter posted:

Wait? It's all Mana?

Always has been.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you can't actually take part in a war, then you shouldn't get a say in the diplomatic play leading to war. I suppose you could unlock it by demanding access through another country, saying you will fight for your right to fight, but otherwise I'm not seeing why it should be a real possibility. Having a bunch of countries with little to no ability to participate in a war jumping in anyway is not something they should actively encourage.

Well, if you're somehow a powerful, but landlocked nation, you can violate neutrality to get your troops to where they need to be.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Pops leaving the factories to die for the Queen's tea profits, national militias to democratize the armed forces, and war profiteering.

Even has hints of The Opium War by pointing out that
you pops can get addicted to it in peace time.

The perfect diary.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1468991330021826565?s=20

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zeron posted:

It looks good. Not really exciting, but Paradox tech systems never really have been. I'll miss inventions a bit though

Agreed. It's the first thing I'm actually disappointed about. However, I do like having things spread to your country, despite your best efforts, so that seems a bit similiar.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Alikchi posted:

Needs to be an achievement for Haiti to force France to pay them subsidies.

You say that as if I need another reason.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fray posted:

Yeah man, this is what I have it bookmarked for.

Not an emptyquote.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1507039791241519106?s=20&t=agh04GgQH2cdDV-wclHgng

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't recall, have they mentioned anything about the mechanics encouraging conservatism among long-running industries? Like in this example, or how Britain kinda slept on its laurels and let other countries run away with new hi-tech industries, like German chemical engineering?

I vaguely recall some sort of training bonus for pops? So pops that work at something for a long time may get small bonuses? But maybe that was one of the ideas we in the peanut gallery tossed out.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

"Conquest should lead to new challenges to properly realize the fruits of war" is dramatically different than "The game should lie to you about your country, or at the very least provide unhelpful information to make you make bad decisions." By all accounts, Vic3 is at least planning on the first statement, but statement two doesn't fit the design goals of letting players make meaningful, interesting decisions.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Time to get your votes in:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1511331292733923332

e: feel free to speculate on what this teaser drought could imply

Mexico: So far from God, so close to the United States!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Looks like it's gonna be ottoman, which is another interesting one.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I voted for multiethnic republic. The New Colossus of Constantinople!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Pretty fun ride. I'd love to see what a late game authoritarian run looks like, but the start was a pretty interesting teaser.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ithle01 posted:

So, how long was the whole playthrough? Like 15 years? That moved pretty fast, but like Wiz said he was mortgaging his future for short-term gain and got a bug that gave him a boost.
15 years in 8ish hours seems pretty reasonable to me

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jazerus posted:

first thing i'm gonna do in v3 is a run where i just try to implement v2 strategies like 100% tariffs and inevitably my country will explode

Tending an (economically) walled garden.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Stairmaster posted:

im starting to think that the economy in this unfinished beta might be unbalanced. How do I deal with the vicious cycle of iron production, which requires tools, raising the price of tools, which require iron?

If you have lots of iron and tool production, sounds like more of a virtuous cycle.

Sucks for anyone trying to bootstrap their way to prosperity but :capitalism:

VostokProgram posted:

im guessing the answer is no but just in case - can vicky 3's economy simulate the impact of LVT and pigovian taxes?

If I remember correctly from the ottoman AAR, there was a large consumption tax on alcohol, so maybe?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2022

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1519709273793581057?s=20&t=dg4AkYPF3QRVTmtgi7_yhA

Seems interesting. One thing I'm curious about is if the general selection is manual or automatic from the assigned generals to the front.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I agree it's part of the script, but it seems possible that the script is 'give player (or ai) decision box to select general.' For instance, you could select your offensive genius to lead the charge and have an engineer following along to fortify things you take and generally take the defensive role for counterattacks.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jazerus posted:

which is a risk, because you're just handing industries over to the secessionists if you fail

On the other hand, slaves can't be used in factories, so it's not like they're going to get nearly as much use out of them.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mantis42 posted:

Bullying Paradox devs objectively made the game better. There's a lesson to be learned here.

What is the Radical Party? Radical what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mantis42 posted:

Open on a red curtain. Text: "Paradox Interactive Proudly Presents It's Next Masterpiece". The curtain opens, revealing a troupe of actors performing Our American Cousin. It's Ford's Theater, 1865.

Lincoln sits in his balcony with Mrs. Lincoln. An advisor tries to get his input on Confederate holdouts in the State of Guyana, but Lincoln is too engrossed in the play for work. Then, his eye catches something - a reflection in a conveniently located grandfather clock. An intruder in the balcony. John Wilkes Booth pulls out his gun and fires. We follow the bullet in slow time as it slowly approaches Lincoln. But something's wrong here. The bullet stops in mid air. Abe smiles. Suddenly time reverses itself and the bullet travels backwards into Booth's gun. He can't believe it. "H-how is this possible?" he cries.

"Quickload," Abe quips, before dispatching John Wilkes Booth with kung fu. With a final roundhouse kick he knocks Booth out of the balcony onto the ground below, upon which the entire theater erupts in applause. President Lincoln turns back to the advisor he ignored before and asks him to come forward. He lays a paper map out and it's the map from the game. Then text on screen clarifies that this is actually a map game and there is no kung fu.

Ok, but now I want this instead of Vicky3.