Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honestly my experience with Vicky 2 was a cycle of suddenly realizing I was massively in the red, having absolutely no idea why, then realizing it fixed itself without anything actually happening

E: I'm 100% cool with crashes happening I'd just like to know why and to have things happen other than number go red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I feel like this could be better modeled by the EU4 mechanic of making your allies vague promises of land and them getting mad when you inevitably stiff them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

reinstalled victoria 2 and still have no clue how this game works. i tried venezuela and spent thirty years watching a dozen capitalists build three barely profitable factories that employ 500 people between them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool thanks. I managed to get up to the 1890s with good research and a decent economy, but yeah i have no soldiers at all, don't have a huge industrial base, and my house is a three-way mess where no one actually wants to pass reforms. Might try again as Colombia then, though they seem to get instantly attacked by Brazil. When should you go for prestige techs over trying to get your economy off the ground, and what factories are good for Colombia?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

To be clear I've played Vic2 a few times before, it's just been a while and I've never really been great at it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does size of a political movement feed into it at all?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Between this politics chat and reading about the endgame liquidity meltdown I'm finding out more about the game than I'm sure I like

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

well this colombia run has been better but i don't think im gonna make great power status. i want to build up a huge pointless navy for some military points but for some reason i can't buy any fuel despite being a secondary power. also i don't seem to have anywhere near enough manpower

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Obviously I have no special insight but if I had to guess maybe they grow better in different places and presumably tie into the "fascination" system somehow? Pops in southern China should be "fascinated" with the local rice and not have to worry about buying corn from across the planet to satisfy their life needs, keeping local food costs down as long as there's enough local supply. Same with a pop in northern China or Europe being fascinated with the local wheat or whatever.

Can't wait for Vicky to accidentally endorse the view that the potato famine happened because the Irish were just too obsessed with potatoes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Iirc it's 4 ticks a day

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah like the 1830 rebellion being a massive stack of rebels that spawns in Paris and then the army rolls straight 1s would kinda suck

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Prolly best to just amass victorian cosplay so you can change along with the ideology of your country.

fake e: wait unless your country goes fascist, you do not, under any circumstances, gotta buy blackshirt cosplay

Just wear the Black Shorts

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Perhaps, something about it rubs me the wrong way, like many of the enlightenment era monarchs in order to implement reforms involved centralizing the state and transfering authority from the nobles to a newly minted meritocratic bureaucracy.

I turned off ublock to take a look and lol yeah that's a perplexing AV but at least its more pleasing on the eyes than the last one. :D

Also it seems like "centralization" and "bureaucracy" are different things? So that could be represented by trying to build up more government infrastructure to keep up with the centralization.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Developer in the forum thread:

quote:

Base price setting is more art than science, but generally speaking Luxuries have a higher base price than Staples, manufactured goods cost more than resource goods, and high-tech goods cost more than low-tech goods.

If a building sells goods for 50 pounds and pays 40 for material and wages, the shareholders of that building are able to make 10 pounds in dividends - all money earned and spent is divvied up between Pops, Buildings, and Treasury in accordance with conditions like wage rate, laws, and so on. One thing we've struggled with, but found what we think is a very good solution for, is how to signal to the player whether a particular building is "good" or not given that everything benefits someone. The solution we've settled on is to determine a Productivity factor for each building which is equal to the amount of money each employee generates per year on average (not including wages, dividends, etc), and then compare that Productivity factor to other buildings worldwide both of the same type and across all types to translate it into a "health" factor. As a result you can see at a glance that one building generates £1.9 pounds per employee while another generates £7.1, and that the first might be good for its type (perhaps a Subsistence Farm) while the latter could be better for its type (perhaps it's a Steel Mill that's falling behind tech-wise compared to other Steel Mills worldwide).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

honestly i'd be okay with just a "business confidence" number

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also on paper the economic systems of Vicky 2 are brilliant (especially if you silo off "uncivs" to their own "what the gently caress is going on here" article.) It's just the practice that it comes out incredibly broken- the article mentions the incredible stupidity of the capitalist AI but also stuff like the late game deflationary crises that wreck the global economy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

kinda hyped for next weeks diary; wanna see if they're doing anything cool with deficits

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pakled posted:

Finally, those darwinist bastards will get what's coming to them

I'm the HR Giger Scandinavia

Anyway didn't one of the devs mention something about deficit spending or was that wishful thinking

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Look a grand strategy game that actually implements deficit spending makes this a day 1 purchase for me

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Quixzlizx posted:

From what I understand, the British tried to militarily prop up a puppet government without setting up colonial institutions (sounds familiar), so not Belgian Congo, or even British India/Ireland.

yeah basically the brits were insanely paranoid that the russians would somehow march an army through central asia into india despite the billion reasons why that's incredibly stupid, and afghanistan was one of the few places where doing that would be at least physically possible. so when there was a coup that replaced one dynasty with another, the new guy didn't immediately suck up to the brits and thus they assumed he was in bed with the russians, so they sent an army to restore the old king (who was a complete psychopath with a habit of hacking bits off his servants). between the restored king being super unpopular and the british garrison doing all the things you expect from a colonial occupation force, there was a huge riot in kabul that killed some of the leaders and forced the british back into their camp, where the dipshit in charge tried to negotiate his way out of it but just pissed everyone off until they kidnapped and murdered him. then the army gave up and tried to march home but got completely wrecked by partisans (not to mention the cold weather.) afterwards the british were so pissed off that they marched an army to kabul, raping and pillaging everything in their way, dynamited the central marketplace, and then marched back and left their puppet to get murdered

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I, too, dabble in board game making and I am intrigued by this. Was there anything you read that set you up for trying that out? I feel like it has bearing on V3 too but I'm curious about the application to boardgames.

cole wehrle's an infamous traffic about the opium trade in china kinda does this, everything is just handled as income

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

to be extremely pedantic, didn't France reinstitute slavery after Napoleon tool over? I guess that's handled by subject laws though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I do agree that HOI's actual war mechanics are bad, there's a billion modifiers that aren't well explained and it's unclear what the benefit of any of then are. This is true of most Paradox games- the only one that I'd kinda except is EU4 but maybe that's just because it's the one I've played the most- but in HOI not understanding the combat just means you're left with an on-rails CYOA, as opposed to CK or Vicky where you've got a whole bunch of politics to deal with. (Stellaris has sort of a similar problem with the ship designer but even that's got way more internal stuff than HOI)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think they've said that starvation is handled through either low standard of living or events. For release I'd be okay with just random events that gently caress up regional agriculture every decade or so- driving up the price and reducing standard of living- plus more major scripted ones in the mid 1840s and then probably the 1870s/80s; more complex agriculture simulation is DLC fodder

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The real question is how will Jan Mayen work

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Naapoleon

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

they're going to be a fancy name for a state that maybe has a unique trait until they do a dlc that makes them either massively overpowered or completely unusable for at least a patch

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I'm shocked nobody thought to do that sooner. I mused about how the discrete units in a game like civ don't really make sense at the level of abstraction they operate at but it's nice to see paradox giving a more abstract warfare model a go.

yeah i'm definitely interested but i'd like to see the details next week

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It also occurs to me that a more abstracted war system would probably help with low-intensity wars that might be silly in previous games- something like Islandwana or the first Anglo-Afghan war comes off as weird in vicky 2 style

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the pole or the dole posted:

Like, I want the Economy I've built to be the main reason I'm winning wars, not some General camping in a mountain province with an army.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1862

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think the point of the article is that "just sit in the trenches and let the enemy break himself on your defenses" isnt a feasible strategy because defenders take as many or more casualties

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is a popular misunderstanding of the Great War. Attacking armies usually suffered less casualties then the defenders. It's just that they were logistically incapable of pushing the attack home, and very vulnerable to counter attack.

https://acoup.blog/2021/09/17/collections-no-mans-land-part-i-the-trench-stalemate/

We've been talking about that article for the last page :p

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

The problem is that the article has only been posted twice, we need to post it eleven times. Ideally in a row.

no save that for the followup on why cadorna was that bad

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

My one big complaint is that afaict the different trees don't seem to affect each other?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Haiti is going to be way too hard to play first but it's definitely on the list of countries I wanna try

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah it wouldn't be Victoria if anyone actually understood the economy code

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

one could also point to the Franco-Prussian and Russo-Japanese wars in period, but frankly those can be written up to "player error" and hopefully the pressures of the crisis system

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

dark souls is fun though, and the handful of mechanics that arent (ie BB' vial farming) are just bad imo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not really, it's more like how in Spec Ops the Line; you're told one narrative only to have been doing a completely different narrative without realizing it the whole time. The difference being of course as the Sovereign you know, infallible flawed humans you have implementing your will are going to either work against you or are corrupt so you have options in how to look out for it.

i mean this works because it's a narrative, particularly a linear one about specific characters; not a sandbox strategy game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i think the problem here is that a game has to be more designed around imperfect information than just not giving it to you. for example, the card game Netrunner was originally designed by richard garfield after he got on a poker binge and decided magic didn't have enough bluffing, and the guesswork of trying to figure out your opponent's capabilities is really fun and interesting. but it wouldnt work if you just said "okay we're gonna play magic the gathering but play all the cards facedown"