Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

Parties should be what they are in real life (in theory anyway...): a confluence of disparate but otherwise in-agreement interest groups that choose to be represented collectively. Let the parties form organically based on what interest groups want, don't have parties that just exist and so happen to appeal to enough interest groups to get into power.

This is my position. Go all in on them or wait and implement it in an expansion with it as the focus alongside other parliamentary poo poo. Doing it half assed just results in the vicky 2 problem of parties being this static unchanging thing that makes no sense based on their "ideology".

Obviously the wishlist would be interest groups coming together to form a party to get elected and get in power to get their agenda passed. Maybe they don't all agree but they agree enough on these issues to give ground and further what they really care about. Bonus points if you can have a party based around abolishing/promoting one issue that's spicy enough to get a lot of people invested from disparate interest groups that would die after the issue is abetted - like slavery. More bonus points if you have parties change over time - like how the democrats were the party of the south and rural areas and then the Republicans became that party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Are you hosed if you get sphered? All of my money as Russia came from tariffs. How do you not get sphered?

Become a great power yourself. There's some growing pains as Japan but you can easily get there after some minor industrializing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Has there been mention on how war will function? Obviously it's not the focus but having it at least be "not painful" would work for me.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

I really hope you do, that mechanic rocks, sorry you have no culture

I'd hope it gets a bit more interaction than "rush down these techs and hope you pop the inventions first"

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only deciding factor for being a GP is "can you enforce your will on other countries"

gently caress "guess Brazil has the best painters so we have no choice but to sell them all the coal"

The US didn't suddenly start respecting Mexico's sovereignty because Frida Kahlo painted good.

Mexico lost all their prestige from losing to a bunch of yokels in Texas. They needed a lot more painters imo.

Also, cultural hegemony is a thing. If Mexico were to be a cultural phenomenon that had influence over the whole of Latin America because of their cultural output, would that not be a great power?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fascist or occasionally monarchist path is p much always the best in HOI. Did you know that if Hungary invited the Habsburgs back the whole rest of the Empire would've peacefully submitted to hungarian domination?

Also Greater Estonia lol

Eh, communist is better in the Balkans because if you rush it down and do it effectively you can get the entire Balkans and even parts of turkey as core territory - effectively making you a great power.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I think it'd be pretty easy to make it where becoming recognized requires easing trade restrictions to get access to the world market risking euros wanting to carve up your land earlier and making Reactionaries mad. Do it too fast and Reactionaries overwhelm you and euros see you as a prime target for their flags and treaties. Rather than the very dumb Vicky 2 way of not knowing how to research beyond 1836 tech for a couple decades.

Wiz posted:

Haiti starts the game with an ongoing crippling debt payment to France (that you can renege on but it gives France claims on you), it's certainly not tutorial island/easy-mode though doing well in spite of France being a giant jerk is very satisfying.

Fun fact: This debt wasn't paid back until 1947 historically.

That's not a fun fact, same as most facts about Haiti post independence :smith:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

Speaking of Haiti I wonder how well the game will represent the US's model of "its not a colony I swear" where a country is nominally independent and allegedly has its own foreign policy but the government and private sector are totally captured by US business interests.

Well they plan to let people play as the united states so probably the same way as that.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

ha ha i'm a dev on this

:sickos:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

can you make weed a trade good and stoners an interest group? just try to sneak it in there when wiz isn't looking

Oh man, a modern day mod for this game is gonna own.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Randarkman posted:

While the pre-war army played some part in providing some experienced officers to both sides in the civil war, both the Union and the Confederacy essentially built their armies from scratch.

If that's the case, why not make it so when the civil war fires all soldier pops are demobilized so both sides start with nothing. You can also give the feds a debuff to soldier buildup and mobilization speed to allow the CSA to gather strength faster so it can actually put up a fight

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/401472926312038412/847322739563429888/STOP_POLITICISING.mp4

Wiz how does it feel to be a meme

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Any kind of disease management would be dlc, likely similar to reapers due for ck2. Which was a neat dlc, though I'm not sure how much you could wring out of that for an empire compared to when you're controlling an actual dude/dudette

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Victoria 3: historically inaccurate cuckolded video game

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

My economy falls apart because all the factory workers are hooked on Garfield books and refuse to go to work

Striking for the elimination of Mondays

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

babypolis posted:

cant wait for this game. gonna play as mexico and strangle the demon cracker menace on its cradle

It's way too late to take out Britain at vicky start date

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Why can't I buy the individual rivets and nails too, wiz? My ability to feel human diminishes by the day...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Vicky 3 when

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Takanago posted:

ok but imagine this:

:hai:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

When is the game coming out!?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Make Prussia blue, but if they lose a battle they turn yellow.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

"There are currently no political parties in the game."
[Booing]
"OK, fine, look we put the Tories in."
[Booing intensifies]

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Popoto posted:

You can be nice for any reasons you want, they're still not your friends.

You can be nice to people who aren't your friends and who you'll never meet just because it's a good thing to give people kindness.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Quorum posted:

Their interest group is exclusively focused on the creation of gumbo factories.

Society after the gumbo factories go online:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

Are you being hyperbolic? Wouldn't an actual Nazi be banned?

Looks like he was, but $10 is not a hard barrier to overcome

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Zikan posted:

can't wait for goons to try to implment full communism as early as possible and the ensuing counter revolutions because they did with 2% support

Historically accurate.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Played as Sweden and I built up my country, isolated Denmark diplomatically, then built up my army and navy and made a play to make them a puppet. Diplomatic phase came with every great power turning around and whistling as I mobilized. Denmark surrendered without a shot. Game owns 10/10.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Man the Ottomans are a... thing. I like the law stuff in theory but the intellectuals being in government and hating everything about it so it's easy for them to suddenly be to angry to join the government and... modernize it is, sadly realistic, but sucks to try out. Has anyone tried them and had success with a strategy?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna wait until the eternal revolution bug is fixed to try Lan Fang again.

Any tips on the Ottoman reforms? Finding thema ctually hard to pass in my two attempts.

My first attempt was actually much better than my second. Going after Egypt early seems like a trap. You need a strong economy which you get by building up and, hopefully, getting the bureaucracy fixed.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna try again. What stopped me was reforming the government took so long, urbanizing took so long, it seemed impossible to build enough barracks for the army, and if I tried tor eclaim Syria every major power got involved and it turned into an hellwar.

Make sure you're improving all major powers relationships from the start - especially Austria, UK, and Russia. Declare rivalry on Greece to get more influence.

Even just one on one, the war still seems hellwarish based off my experience.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

Wiz mentioned that they might add sliders

:dudsmile:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

How did you get the education one? Even with religious schools I could only get literacy to 35%

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

1.3 looks real good. Also is that the same Pacifica who was the TNO lead designer at one point?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My Mexico playthrough had 5% peasants, maxxed out social reforms... and 89.8% literacy. I was so close :negative:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I like the idea of how the game handles monarchies loyalties dying. Where there's a 5 year tick and after it ends the monarchist supporters get a new spirit that essentially support democracy, but only the versions that give them all the power.

Maybe that should just be expanded to more issues but instead of replacing it have it be a counter of reduction of their support. That way immediately after a law change, there's still a lot of support for landowners but after a year things should have quited down and after two the counter is either done for smaller law changes or nearly done for bigger ones.

Have this be influenced by positive or negative burecracy so if you have surplus 2 year timer becomes like 18 months, and negative bureaucracy makes it a 30 month timer.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The perfect image doesn't exis-

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Poil posted:

Please tell me you've hooked up a tv to your computer and you're all sitting around a table in your living room with snacks etc and they're all cheering on with things like "Yeah, gently caress up Prussia!" or "We need more clipper factories".

Hooting and hollering as the council republics bill is put before the legislature

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Wiz, will we be able to build Victoria's secret if we corner the clothing market and still have victoria as queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ithle01 posted:

Later on you can annex the vassals and build up their rubber and oil. The AI is pretty reluctant to get involved in annexation plays unless you really pissed someone off.

This doesn't really apply if you're in specific zones the AI wants. As Sokoto, France and Britain jumped on native uprising plays, annexation plays, and vassalization plays I started or had started against me. It was always day 1 of the negotiation phase too.

I had to wait a certain amount of time from the start of the game or Denmark would also try to throw their weight at me.