Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

My economy falls apart because all the factory workers are hooked on Garfield books and refuse to go to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Capfalcon posted:

Speaking of China, my one (...well... One of many) confusion with Vic2 is I have no idea how I'm supposed to interact with China like a proper imperialist. Conquering chunks of them is right out, as then you'd have a bunch of wrong culture, illiterate peasants mucking up your research. You cant sphere them, because then your economy explodes. So... What does one do?

Every once in a while you sail some armies over to kick the poo poo out of them and force them to cede some treaty ports

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

VostokProgram posted:

That's only an HPM thing, vanilla doesn't have treaty ports

Ah yeah alright, then just conquer coastal chunks and forcibly conscript the population for endless European land wars

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even if it is just the Stellaris administrative cap, I don't mind. Could go further, make it so you can only build admin buildings in colonies if you have like 1% primary culture pops there or something to represent colonial bureaucrat settlers.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Better check to see if Harry Turtledove has written that book yet

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah centralisation replaces the old civilised/uncivilised separation

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Did Prussia get inherent army buffs? I know they got a few extra technologies at start and that really good research focus but I have no idea if there's some background calculation where 'if = Prussian then +5 Attack' or whatever. I hope not cause that's lame.

They shouldn't be yellow though.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I get the culturally-tied military stuff in like CK2 as an abstract way to represent how different peoples fought i.e. anglo-saxons rocking shieldwalls against Arab horse cavalry skirmishers or w/ever but anything beyond that (already huge) time period is a bit much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

A complex economy that actually makes sense and won't stop functioning for no reason? This rules

Also I know it's literally the least important feature but I'm really looking forward to learning how wars will work. Especially for multiplayer. Never actually played Vic 2 multiplayer but it looks like it'd be pretty fun fighting another person rather than the idiot AI

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Man how would you even model something like the Depression. It had such specific causes that happened in such a particular way I can't see it being able to add in as an RNG thing

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I guess but that doesn't touch on the Dustbowl. I can't imagine a dynamic system that takes in to account the devestation of food supplies in Europe, models overproduction in America to compensate, then depletes the soil roughly in time for the biggest stock market disaster in history.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I usually go with 'zoom out then zoom to mouse' whenever possible myself

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd imagine it'd have to be very abstracted for that stuff. You still need in-game money being produced and consumed to keep the wheels of the international economy moving. Laws that let you put it together in your head are good enough for me

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I assume he'll double back to war in the third series because the way the systems work may discourage European wars but absolutely push you towards kicking the poo poo out of less technologically advanced nations to fund your unused border garrison armies. Colonial wars pay very well (depending on the colony of course) for very little Pop-loss.

Unless I scrolled right by that paragraph? I am on my phone after all lmao

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I agree that warfare is the least important part of Victoria 3 but I do still want to click on enemy armies with my own and watch them get owned, especially in multiplayer

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think part of the trouble with colonial wars is that the AI - in like every strategy game ever to be fair - has never really understood the idea of a 'limited' war. I think HoI 4 has a system for that but I have no idea how well it works. I just don't want a repeat of Victoria 2, where the AI mobilises for full-scale war everytime some tiny backwater goes to war

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sounds good. I like the idea of being able to take on extremely dangerous amounts of debt in order to industrialize quickly. Nice bit of risk vs reward in that your industrialization could fail and now you're just hosed.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure they said there's unlimited money. No longer will the global economy collapse because some fatcats in Saskatoon own literally all the money in the world

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key thing is that if say, 1000 units of cement are produced, but only 100 units are actually demanded by the market, all 1000 units are still sold, with 900 of them just not going anywhere. There are no buyers for those 900 units, the money is just created and given to the people who sold them.

At least, this is my understanding based on how it was described in the dev diary - I may be misunderstanding it but they did definitely say that the money supply is not finite the way it was in Vicky 2.

A factory can be churning out something that nobody wants but it's still making money instead of going bankrupt? Or is money made by pops working at a factory seperate from the profit from said factory? I guess it will keep those pesky liberals from boarding up all of my specifically curated and subsdised industries at least

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Be pretty cool to have a flag designer for if you end up releasing some semi-independent colonial dominions

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Still love that the optimal factory set up in Vicky 1 was like the inverse of the Gilded Age, ten thousand capitalists for every assembly line worker in the clipper factory.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't to spend forty years trying to pass the 'Free Clown College' education reform

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Three Stooges successfully lead a clownarchist uprising that turns the US into a jester's paradise

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Add clown as an accepted culture for -5000 prestige and +20 Militancy for all Security pops

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hudson's Bay Company world conquest. You'll buy our overpriced clothes and lovely perfumes at bayonet's point

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Considering how many people seem to play Paradox games solely for the purpose of all these wacky illogical scenarios I can't see them not including a bunch

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

So glad that the US isn't the only feasible immigration-based nation anymore. Playing South American nations is going to be a lot more fun.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Would be kind of neat, and also way too finicky and minor to be worth the trouble I'm sure, to see assimilation from immigrants give rise to hyphenated cultures, i.e. get a bunch of Italians and they assimilate to Italian-Americans or Portuguese-Canadians etc etc

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Naapoleon vs Bigger Napoleon DLC

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

New prestige system sounds great. Love the flexibility. Can't wait to curbstomp the Prussians into unrecognised status

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah all the empires did that to one degree or another. Portugal at least half-heartedly tried to follow through during the Overseas Wars but that was only as a 'hearts and minds' thing. I think it kind of worked in Mozambique? That's the one they were winning before the Carnation Revolution I think.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Personally I like clicking on regiments and making them shoot guns at each other, but I know a lot of people were for this kind of abstraction. And it still sounds interesting.

I still want 3D models tho

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah biggest hope is that this system will be able to simulate small-scale and asymmetrical wars a lot better. If you have to balance fronts with garrisons and are hampered by distance it makes it a lot easier to show how a small or pre-industrial state might hold off the European empires. The UK didn't mobilize two million conscripts to fight the Zulu after all.

Saw someone in the thread compare it to the Hearts of Iron 4 naval system and I'm pretty alright with that. Allocate a force to broad area and let them figure out themselves as opposed to labouriously clicking on 30k stacks and feeding them in to the endless grinder.

Edit: also excited to see how civil wars and especially revolts are handled. Can revolts get foreign support, or can the state fighting revolt get help like all those Allied troops in Russia during the Bolshevik Kerfuffle. That'd be fun.

Also also proxy wars on some level but I guess that's outside the time period. I dunno I'm just excited for this video game even if I don't plan on buying it.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 4, 2021

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does Canada exist at start? It should be Upper, Lower, with two parliaments but federated under one Governor, the Company in the north, New Brunswick, PEI, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia as separate colonies iirc. With the Patriote Rebellion about to kick off so Lower Canada being the ideal for kicking british rear end.
I mean we know for a fact New Brunswick exists, it's wrong after all

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I give it like a week before the steampunk mod starts up

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Did they say if there's going to be a historical option like Hearts of Iron or is it pure chaos sandbox from Day 1

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's mostly explaining the idea of defence in depth. The popular conception of the trenches is that they couldn't be taken because No Mans Land and machine guns, whereas the reality is "they can be taken, but not for long, and you're not going much farther".

But at the end the day you can't take the trench lol, doesn't really change anything about the myth of the Western Front

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It kinda does, it pretty dramatically alters the actual nature of the fight and why it never went anywhere. It at least smashes the conception of the trench as an impregnable fortress.

Right but the counter-point to 'you can't take trenches' amounts to 'you can take trenches, but only the outermost and purposefully sparsely defended part, and only for a very short period of time, and eventually the people who originally held the trench take it back and everything evens out'. I really don't see how that fundamentally changes the understanding of the war.

It just replaces machine guns with artillery as the deadliest thing, and even then the idea that the war was just people marching in slow orderly columns straight in to the machine gun tsunami was already on the way out.

Interesting post from that historian dude as always though

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

If we just post the ACOUP article one more time we'll break through poster front line, come on lads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Agean90 posted:

No more on map units confirmed!

Technically Iachek said they're going to talk about wartime graphics later on but yeah, that's more surprising than the loss of tactical control for me. Cultural unit skins are such an easy DLC model, never imagined they'd abandon that