Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

im excited to just bully other countries, all "GIMME YOUR LUNCH MONEY. GIMME YOUR WARM WATER PORTS. GIMME YOUR TRADE ACCESS." they will be cowering before my might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Can wages be pushed up by trade union struggle?

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Can you have condominiums in Victoria 3, to model the outcome of e.g. the Schleswig war?

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Will Victoria 3 model regular economic crises?

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1410236691575570436

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wait... the game actually breaks pops down into individuals?!?

I assume it's the same as how in Vicky2 you could see little pie charts of ideology for each pop, except the percentages are rounded off into individuals for display (because it doesnt look very good to have pops with 22.5 conservatives and 11.3 liberals (or in Vic3 45.7 industrialists and 23.4 intelligentsia) , even if it is basically the same simulation-wise)

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Was Hanover really so economically tied to Britain? I thought they stayed relatively decoupled despite the personal union

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

CrypticTriptych posted:

I enjoyed reading the Brazil AAR that happened recently (compiled on reddit). I think it was interesting how much you get to nudge the political system through event choices. It makes the system for enacting laws described in the dev diaries -- table a law, RNG happens, law eventually passes -- a bit less dry and abstract.

This really makes me excited about Vic3. At least it did until I saw the plural of Man-o-War wasn't Men-o-War. PDX pls fix

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im literally just slamming down 1000 farms at a time, i dont even care what people want anymore

e: exporting telephones to every single nation on the planet because i have 100000 convoys that need to do something so they stop eating welfare

e2: things are breaking a little bit, just 16 years left i can do this

Is 5000 construction even enough to keep pace with population growth? In my china game, I had like 8000 at the end (read 1900, when my computer started emitting smoke), and every state *still* had so many people that all the arable land was used up and there were a quarter of a million and growing unemployed. Was hell on my welfare system.

Also, aside, but command economy seems to be pretty much always a terrible move right now, since the profits from factories go to bureaucrats if government-run or workers if a co-op, but all losses from factories are fully subsidised. I guess theoretically it could work if all your factories had equal slightly-higher-than-breaking-even profitability, but the way it is now, the hugely profitable factories bring up the average wage, making the moderately profitable factories deeply unprofitable from the high wages they have to pay. And you can't even pay for the high wages from profits, because you don't get them. A strange choice for command economy to prioritise higher wages over higher reinvestment in the economy, since that's precisely the opposite of what happened historically, at least until the Khrushchev era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Tomn posted:

good post that's long

The 50% maximum dividend tax from Graduated Taxation on Very High Taxes is indeed best for a command economy, but is still only enough to keep up with Laissez-Faire's base contribution of 50% of profits to the investment pool, even before you add in the other taxes on capitalists you can levy and the increase to investment pool contribution from a happy Industrialists IG. You're right that a command economy would be better if you weren't constantly constructing, as it could transfer more of the demand from construction industries to pop needs. However, it's very hard to get to a point where you shouldn't be constantly constructing: you have to run out of peasants in every single state, and then have a standard of living low enough that migrants won't come in huge waves and pops won't have massive population growth - but typically the greatest contributor to increasing standard of living is getting peasants into factories, which as a player you will have done much better than the AI, so if you are out of peasants you probably have one of the highest standards of living in the world and highest rates of pop growth and migration in the world. I suppose that closed borders would fix this, but who wants to have closed borders?

The comments on wages were made from observation, so may not be entirely correct in the explanation. (I did have to manually subsidise everything to get it to work as it was supposed to.) One contributor might be that I had the minimum wage institution, which people are saying actually just increases wages by a set percentage rather than actually enforce a minimum wage. (I'm not actually seeing this, though - I might be missing something.) As for the causes of the wage differential, I'm unsure as to why there is one - my explanation was a guess, since it seemed that more profitable buildings had higher base wages and less profitable did not. But there is definitely a differential in base wages across not only states but buildings within states, which is all well and good in and of itself. The big problem is that subsidising factories ensures they pay at least the "Normal Wage", which is some kind of average of all wage rates in the country. So the factories with lower wages than the average (which there necessarily are) get subsidies, while the factories with higher wages don't contribute enough back to your coffers to compensate for that. This does increase standard of living massively, though! Just not very sustainably.

Here's some images to demonstrate: (ignore the rankings in these images, they're wrong since I just loaded the game to take these screenshots. I did run the game after for a little while to confirm that the figures are stable, though)
Here's my shipyard, which is running at a loss for me:

It's paying out at the subsidised Normal Wage of 15.4:

Now here's one of Britain's shipyards, which is paying out just enough for peasants to want to work there:

Here's one of my glassworks, which is running at a loss for me as well:

The base wage here is a whopping 25.7 from a short period of labor shortage in Orleans (there's now around 50k unemployed people in the state):

The game's classed my subsidy as an Input Goods Subsidy, though, so the factory's not going to reduce the wages at all!

(I'm pretty sure what's happening here is that wage subsidies only ever get paid if the wage paid by the factory is less than the Normal Wage, so if the wage is higher then all subsidies are allocated to input goods. I think this means that subsidised factories can only ever decrease wages if even after a full subsidy of all input costs it still can't afford to pay the workers.)

In Picardy, where there's never been a shortage of peasants, this profitable steel mill is paying out more than an unprofitable textile mill:

Both are paying more than the Normal Wage.