Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
This is fun until all the AI players do the same thing to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Presumably at some point you'll end up selling at less than the cost of production, which of course is unsustainable in the long run. Causing the capitalists to shut down all cement factories and making the global economy collapse completely, if we're lucky :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

DrSunshine posted:

Have to say that I was that guy who, after a while, just clicked "auto Resolve" for battles in Napoleon: Total War. I don't give a poo poo about tactics, haha!

I did this for all the Total War games. The last one I played was Shogun 2 though; I eventually realised that the major focus of the series (the tactical combat) wasn't what I was looking for, and the rest of the strategic gameplay wasn't super interesting.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Koramei posted:

This sounds like a fantastic concept for an indie strategy game along the lines of Predynastic Egypt with a simple core to it. Like, you’re a monarch shut in your palace and have to rely on your ministers to relay information to you, and over the course of the game you have to deduce / get more tools to figure out who you can actually rely on. Maybe it’s a countdown as half of them want to depose you and you have to get rid of them all before it’s too late.

In East Asia at least just wrangling and politicking with your ministers was like 9/10ths of what a monarch actually did and there must be a few interesting ways to actually depict it. CK is part of the way there I suppose.

I've always pictured a hypothetical "imperfect vision" system in a strategy game as being more of a way to slow expansion and typical "empire blobbing".

Basically, early on your ability to stay in contact with and project power to a place diminishes with the distance to the capital. Not only is communication slow over long distances, but there's only so much territory you can administer directly before it becomes overwhelming. More land means a bigger bureaucracy is needed, but that means more people and more room for corruption and nepotism. The efficiency of said bureaucracy also diminishes with distance. Eventually the combination of administrative costs and corruption combined with the lack of power projection means you just can't control more land, and it becomes worse and more expensive the further from the capital it is. Until new ways and more effective ways of administrating land are invented, your grasp on the remote areas are tenuous, and the reliability of any information you get diminishes rapidly with distance.

I don't think all of that would fit into a game set in such a recent period of time as the Vicky series though, you would have to build the whole game around it, and whether you can actually make a FUN game out of it is an entirely different matter.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Servetus posted:

Corn used to be the term for any crop that had small kernels: grain, maize, barley, sorghum, whatever. The use of corn to only refer to maize or "indian corn" is more recent.

Random trivia: In Scandinavian languages, "Korn" is still a word for various kinds of grains like wheat and barley. In Norwegian at least it is also the word for almost any kind of "grain", like a grain of sand (sandkorn).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Looking at how rhinos and elephants are faring, it doesn't seem like humans have changed much since then.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I remember trying to play Norway in my first game of V2. It's pretty hard when you're a poor, sparsely populated country who only has lumber and fish :v:

I'll still try it first in V3 though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Probably, though it's been so many years that I don't remember if I even released Norway or just kind of ignored that the rest of the union existed :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I don't know why Paradox even bothers with the big "WIP" on their screenshots.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Eiba posted:

I think it is in fact the perfect time to point out issues with the work while it is still in progress. No one's being hyperbolic about what it means, or is saying it's an issue that can't or won't be fixed. But personally, it seems like a pretty glaring issue that folks have been silent about until now.

Like, if it was in actual Beta and a like a few months away from release, sure, I could see that. Seems a bit early to me though.

My point though really was that I don't know why they bother with the WIP icon, because like the incessant repetition of the phrase "NUMBERS ARE NOT FINAL AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE" below almost every screenshot in every single dev diary, it does absolutely nothing.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 23, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gort posted:

"Oh poo poo, this game is supposed to be released this year?!"

This is what happens when you think it's still 2021. Not that I've done that a couple of times or anything...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Isn't it to crash the economy by having too many clipper ship factories?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
People who went surprised_pikachu.jpg when they got a game over in a video game are lucky to have a staunch ally in you, I guess?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

have very possibly lost my ability to feel human.

If you still feel human you're not playing enough Paradox games.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

steinrokkan posted:

I run an emotional support group for people who fel off a platform in Mario, if you want to join, I'm sure we'd be able to accommodate you

Do you have one for people who got eaten by piranha plants that pop up from pipes? Asking for a friend.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That's pretty much what the real economy does though?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

First Victoria 3 patch notes posted:

* Fixed a bug where capitalist pops were hoarding all the money, causing economic collapse and pop death spiral as other pops could not afford to buy goods necessary for living.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
In the end it's all based on hope and faith (no matter how ill-placed) anyway, whether it's currencies or credits.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Easy decipher. It says "Victoria 3 release date is August 18 2022". Booking vacation days as we speak.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm looking forward to playing Sengoku 2.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

scaterry posted:

Or an achievement for getting all achievements that do not require achieving themselves

Make an achievement for finishing a full game while having 0 achievements unlocked.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

I'm playing Terra Invictus this week and holy poo poo, it makes Victoria 2 look like an easy to jump into mobile game with minimal micro management or obtuse mechanics. It's still amazing though. But good god, it's like V2 levels of management and jank but covering the entire solar system. If you've ever wanted a mash up of x-com and a paradox map game experience, this is it.

This is making me really want to play it and also really not want to play it at the same time.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Popoto posted:

3 days until a spelling mistake on the main menu screen renders the game literally unplayable

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It took quite a while for the main menu to load, my computer started sounding like a leaf-blower and there was no music while it was initializing, but the game finally started. It's real!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I don't know what I'm doing. 10% of the Swedish population is now radical, the interest groups are very angry with me for letting the clergy open their clinics, and the interest expenses on the national debt is reaching unmanagable levels.

Game is good, and the remastered Vicky 2 tracks are giving me the feels.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

I got the bug where a general is busy after going on a mission and I remembered a post here explaining how to fix it by editing the savegame but I do not remember how to enable achievements again afterwards. Does anyone know how to do this?

There was this post eariler in the thread:

VostokProgram posted:

In case anyone else runs into the perpetually busy general bug, I found a workaround.

Go to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria 3/save games
Edit autosave_exit.v3
ctrl+F busy_characters and delete the number there (assuming only one is busy, if there's multiple you'll have to figure out which one is the right one)
ctrl+f achievement_eligibility and make it "yes" if its "no"

Obviously make a real save or copy that autosave file or something before you edit it

The achievement_eligibility line seems like it should do it, but I haven't tried it myself.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't understand how much of a good a pop will buy.

Plenty of everything, except for telephones if my current game is anything to go by. Please buy more telephones, I'm trying to fix my radio shortage here but all these telephones sell for like nothing.

Baron Porkface posted:

What determines if a place can grow opium?

Wiz's whims. There's a link in the OP with an image of all the places the different resources can be found, including opium.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I've played X-Com games all my life, I'm used to it by now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Bumping up assimilation speed by 10+ times probably has some other effects that Paradox would rather not have happen, but for a mod that wants to fix the perfomance issues by any means necessary it's perfectly fine.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I feel like infamy builds up way too easily playing as Germany. I got to a point where I did a teensy little war in Egypt to get their opium, then got so much infamy that it really became pointless to try to decrease it. Then, when the bastards come to cut me down to size, nobody joins them and so I can take huge chunks of their land and whoops suddenly I have 5000 infamy but also nobody can even come close to matching my military. Anyway, now the only two great powers are Russia and the British Republic, everyone else is my vassal, I've finished the tech tree, have a 6bn GDP and I still have 18 years of game time left.

So what you're saying is that infamy should've built up even faster so that the AI could've dealt with you before it was too late.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

buglord posted:

Are there any workarounds for the extremely poopoo performance late game

Until a patch comes out it seems the main way to fix it is to use a mod that disables the multiculturalism law or prevents the AI from using it, since immigration causes a lot of performance issues later on. Probably only useful for a new game though. There are also mods that massively ups the assimilation rate which should merge split (immigrant) pops fast enough to stop them from gunking up the system.

I haven't used them myself since I keep starting new games instead of playing until the end, so I can't vouch for how well they work.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Mass migrations seem kind of wonky?

I was playing Norway and decided I needed lead enough to invade the Swedish state next to my capital, which had lead mines that they weren't using anyway. Incidentally, it also had some of their most important industry for tools, paper and clothing. I took the state, started industrialising it heavier since it had tons of peasants that weren't doing anything productive, SoL rose significantly in the state along with my tax income and all was well. Integrated it and everything.

For Sweden though this was very destructive to the rest of the country since they no longer had tools production to run their other industries, leading to them having to revert to the most basic production methods and utterly tanking the SoL in their remaining states. Several years after this I got a message popping up about a mass migration from Sweden to Norway happening, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pops. Now, the problem is that this for some reason also included the Swedish pops living in the state I had conquered many years earlier which was now an important industrial hub of mine and which had the second highest SoL in the country. Like over 30% of the population migrating one state over to a state with lower SoL than the one they were living in, which cratered the industry in the state they left and caused mass unemployment in the one they arrived to and lowering the average SoL of all the states involved.

I... don't think that's working as intended. Maybe pops should check their living conditions and what country they are already living in before deciding to mass migrate.

*Edit*

Please stop, this is not going to end well for anyone involved. You're leaving a cushy factory job to become a peasant in the rainiest region of Norway, why would you do that!?

AG3 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 13, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Cease to Hope posted:

There are historical domestic mass migrations in this period, particularly the American move west, and the African-American migration from the south to the northern cities, prompted by the collapse of Reconstruction and the rise of Jim Crow laws. (Not that V3 handles Jim Crow or Reconstruction well, either.)

It's hard because they should be a bit irrational? People moving west in the US were famously moving from poverty to poverty, but people probably need a bit more of a prompt to move than what we have now.

The impoverished Swedes in Sweden migrating because their SoL was completely wrecked is understandable, but why would Swedes in Norway who were affluent do the same thing at the same time, and to the same place? Especially considering that this nice place where they had nice jobs and good SoL was their homeland.

It's a moot point anyway because I reloaded the game and the next time the migration target was the state neighbouring the one I took instead of the next one over like the previous time, and since the mass migration also bleeds into the main target's neighbouring states it also bled into the sto... acquired Swedish state and cancelled out the exodus from that state, or most likely prevented it from starting in the first place.

There are all kinds of ways you can rationalise it if you're willing to stretch things a bit, but I'd be surprised if it is intended.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 13, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Maybe starting a world war over Finland wasn't worth it.

On the other hand, my arms and munitions factories are in the green now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Kraftwerk posted:

Like if I build a steel mill or a motor industry as Japan, how do I suddenly have machinists and engineers where I previously had peasants. Where can I properly evaluate, quantify and control the rate of conversion or how these pops convert? I'm assuming peasants are basically unemployed pops that live a lifestyle on the land where they create and consume their own needs and as you industrialize they leave their villages to become workers which eventually requires specialized labourers and farmers on farms and textile mills to make up the deficit? But how are they getting their training? How does a peasant jump to engineer or capitalist? What are things I can do to ensure I have a supply of qualified workers?

How many pops you have qualified for each job is viewable by hovering over the checkmark next to Qualifications in the building screen for each state. It also shows how many new qualifications that job gets each month. Note that 1 pop can qualify for multiple jobs, and if you want to know how many of say your capitalists are actually unemployed you can hover over the capitalist line in that tooltip to see what the pops currently qualified to be a capitalist are working as, if they are working. If you get a warning on the upgrade button for a building saying that you don't have enough capitalsts to fill all the new jobs that would be created, but 8.000 of them are working as clerks in some other building, you can just upgrade and they'll swap jobs right away (since it pays better than being a clerk).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

IG approval overflow is still somehow a thing. How did that not get fixed at the first pass?

Considering how long it took to get those fixed in Stellaris, I'm not even expecting them to get around to it before the first expansion is out.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
A lot of things are nearly impossible to have profitable, probably in part because of the function where any business that is at least 20% profitable will gradually raise worker wages until profitability drops to 20% or lower, even if there's no shortage of labor. Even if you tweak things to increase output or reduce input goods costs, the game will just eat up whatever gains you got by increasing wages, and once costs (and temporary throughput bonuses) return to normal, the business will probably run at a deficit and start firing people.

Oil generally seems profitable enough to not suffer from this problem in my games, but a lot of things like services, electricity and weapons/ammo struggle to be profitable unless there's a spike in demand. Of course, for electricity this is bad since that will often make electricity-consuming businesses unprofitable.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 23, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Sometimes when the war is over your convoys keep being raided, I had that in my current game. I don't know if it's always the same reason, but in my game I suspect that it was due to France being in two different wars, one with me and one with Great Britain, and when the war with me was over the French admiral kept his raiding order because he was still raiding the British convoys in the same spot that mine were being raided. I guess maybe it just doesn't cancel the raiding on your convoys if that happens.

I ended up checking the node to see which admiral was raiding, then editing the savegame to change his order from raid to patrol, which made it go away. Really annoying having your economy crash because of that, here's hoping it's fixed in 1.1

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 24, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The arms industries in the game are a bit of a simplification too, since historically much of the production of firearms was contracted out to industries that primarily produced other things, anything from bikes to agricultural equipment. I guess if realism was a concern, you should have a setting that would convert some percentage the production capacity in things like tools and engine factories to produce small arms, artillery and ammo instead in times of war.

Would it make the game more fun? Eh, maybe? It would certainly be easier if you didn't need so much dedicated and expensive arms production in peace-time just to make sure you can get enough equipment in war-time. It would at the very least be more realistic having your civilian production needing to take a backseat to your military production in times of war, with the economic consequences that would have not just for the government's budget but also the pops whose goods now get more expensive due to lack of supply.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Some of the production methods really make no sense. Yes, I would like to replace 15.000 low paid laborers with 15.000 higher paid engineers/machinists while also replacing some of my cheap input goods with more expensive ones for a tiny output boost. Sometimes the cost of the new inputs are higher than the price of the output too, and I have no idea in what situation it would make financial sense to switch.

Chainsaws for logging camps are a good example. You don't get any output boost, but you replace 1500 laborers for 200 each of machinists and engineers, which leaves you with wages equivalent to 1200 laborers, which is a minor saving of 300 laborer-wages (in theory). But then you also need 10 tools and 5 oil, and there's just no way for the maths to add up. The only use case I can see is if you just need to free up as much labor as possible regardless of the costs in inputs and qualifications, in any other case you'd use Steam Donkey which trades 1 engine and 4 coal for saving you 1000 laborers which makes sense as soon as wages start hitting a certain threshold, unless you just want to employ the maximum number of people.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 24, 2022