Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Larryb posted:

Interesting, do they have an AoE attack?

Both of their attacks are AoE. Thousand Waves is Ground, physical, and hits all enemies and restrains them, Core Enforcer is Dragon, Special, and just hits all enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Both of their attacks are AoE. Thousand Waves is Ground, physical, and hits all enemies and restrains them, Core Enforcer is Dragon, Special, and just hits all enemies.

Sounds like I may finally have a potential replacement for Red. What are their support moves and are they the type of Sync Pair where their Sync Move also becomes an AoE attack when raised up to EX rank?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Larryb posted:

Sounds like I may finally have a potential replacement for Red. What are their support moves and are they the type of Sync Pair where their Sync Move also becomes an AoE attack when raised up to EX rank?

Dire Hit+, 2 uses(so +2 crit and then max crit) and Feel our Feelings, 1 use and 2 gauge that gives +6 Atk and SpAtk and Gradual Healing. And yes, they are a Striker so their EX makes their sync move an AoE.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Dire Hit+, 2 uses(so +2 crit and then max crit) and Feel our Feelings, 1 use and 2 gauge that gives +6 Atk and SpAtk and Gradual Healing. And yes, they are a Striker so their EX makes their sync move an AoE.

Sold. I guess I know where all my gems are going over the next few days then

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like Serena a lot, especially because I have Lucas with Dragon Zone to bring her to truly absurd levels. Plus, Zygarde is a great Pokemon that I just enjoy overall. Much more appeal there than with Charizard who I really only pulled back in the day for raw power purposes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I like Serena a lot, especially because I have Lucas with Dragon Zone to bring her to truly absurd levels. Plus, Zygarde is a great Pokemon that I just enjoy overall. Much more appeal there than with Charizard who I really only pulled back in the day for raw power purposes.

Tempting, but is Lucas worth dropping SS Leaf or SS Blue just for the sake of powering up Serena?

Also is SS Serena as much of a glass cannon as SS Red is?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 17, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wish the Zygarde event stories and battles had been longer. Over too soon, and now nothing to do until whenever the next update drops.

I got the new Serena after four multis, so that's one less stress to worry about too, thankfully.

Larryb posted:

Tempting, but is Lucas worth dropping SS Leaf or SS Blue just for the sake of powering up Serena?

Also is SS Serena as much of a glass cannon as SS Red is?

Why would you even bring Leaf to anything? Blue I can see because Blastoise's an amazing wall that can speed up, increase defenses, heal the team and even provide Endure. Leaf on the other hand is very situational.

If you are doing any hard content with an off-typer, you want to power it up as much as possible. Between theme stats and Dragon Wish, if you were running Zygarde without Lucas' support, you'd just be leaving a lot of power behind unnecessarily.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I wish the Zygarde event stories and battles had been longer. Over too soon, and now nothing to do until whenever the next update drops.

I got the new Serena after four multis, so that's one less stress to worry about too, thankfully.

Why would you even bring Leaf to anything? Blue I can see because Blastoise's an amazing wall that can speed up, increase defenses, heal the team and even provide Endure. Leaf on the other hand is very situational.

If you are doing any hard content with an off-typer, you want to power it up as much as possible. Between theme stats and Dragon Wish, if you were running Zygarde without Lucas' support, you'd just be leaving a lot of power behind unnecessarily.

I don’t have SS Serena yet but I’d heard Leaf was a good support unit to SS Red, plus she has healing and an AOE attack that can keep the enemy busy while I buff up the team using Red and Blue (at which point I can activate Red’s Sync Move and start murdering whatever survives with Heat Wave and Blast Burn). The fact she can inflict Toxic on the enemy and has a chance of regenerating potions is pretty useful as well

Is there someone else that would be a better fit then (a character with Potions can be pretty useful during certain fights)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 18, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

SS Leaf is still a very capable tank and can accelerate your 2nd sync cast. I've used her a lot just for that. Plus Toxic is always good when it lands and she can shed defenses.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I used SS Leaf a fair amount when she was released, but as I get more and more units and stronger EXs I don't Toxic stall at all anymore, so she's an emergency healer at best. I know it can be tempting to just use the SS Kanto trio for everything, the game is very easy, but I have lots of fun using a wide variety of units with all these crazy good weather/zone/terrain setters. I recently EXed a striker of every type, so next up is song EXs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's April, so it's time for our spring sync pairs.

Lillie & Polteageist are a Ghost/Support pair. They come with Potion, X Special Def. All, and a special move called It's Teatime that has a random effect when used in addition to raising the team's Special Attack. They also come with Focus Group, Team Fist Bump, and Team Triage Tank and passives. They look pretty solid.

Sonia & Shiny Tsareena are a Grass/Physical Strike pair. They have Power Whip and Razor Leaf for attacking, and a move called Ohohoho! that raises their Accuracy + Crit + a third stat that the site doesn't have listed yet. They also have Hit The Gas (!!!), Power Flux, and Sync Power Flux as passives.

Ingo & Accelgor are a Bug/Tech pair. The important part of their moveset is Bug Wish, but they also have a party-wide accuracy + evasion buff. Passives are Team Viral Haste, Defense Crush, and Bug Shift. Seems pretty decent.

Emmet & Escavalier are last up, they're a Bug/Physical Strike pair. They have Megahorn as their sole attacking move, Iron Defense, Swords Dance, and a trainer move that grants Move Gauge Acceleration along with some other buffs. Passives are Critical Affliction, Mighty Affliction, and Rising Tide. They should be really solid in prolonged fights.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im so annoyed ive been waiting for Bug Zone but they give it to the loser subway dude

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

How dare you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A fifth or sixth Lillie, because there weren't enough Lillies in the game as is.

Edit: hey, Roxanne is getting a grid, and so is Marley! Game saved! These two were already useful as is for free units.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 29, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/absolutelypm/status/1508829334441963526?t=pR3yAc_slAV9lXioXk2ZJw&s=19

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Bug Zone with added accuracy for Alder? Tempting.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah I'm tempted for Bug Zone cause my Guzma could use that extra boost, but everyone else is just... whatever. Game needs to be harder if you wanna push me for better units, what I have does just fine.

We'll also get EX Caitlin later on, leaving Kris, Karen, Lyra, Glacia, Kukui and Fantina remaining. On the 25th we'll also get EX Erika and grids for Roxanne, Marley and Kahili.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, I don't much care for any of these people, but this piece of art is pretty cool

Hope the event's story is good at least

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I love the Subway Wonder Twins because they are giant loving dweebs and they are 100% serious about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for the new event how do you solve Wallace’s riddle? Do you have to do the battle with a specific sync pair in your party or something (and if so, which ones fit the bill)?

For example, does Wallace himself count?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 31, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This split way to play the event limited by stamina/days makes it hard to follow what others are doing. No idea which one's Wallace's riddle, I only saw a light up a dark cave riddle.

The event fan comics have been good, though:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wallace’s riddle is in the Lillie event you can unlock with the key given to you in the main event

Edit: Figured it out, all you have to do is complete the battle with Wallace on your team. I imagine the other 3 riddles will follow a similar pattern

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 31, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Okay, I needed a laugh today. Thank you, DeNA. This is the sort of silly thing I appreciate this game being around for.

edit:

Larryb posted:

Figured it out, all you have to do is complete the battle with Wallace on your team. I imagine the other 3 riddles will follow a similar pattern

I reached this part. You don't need Wallace per se, just any trainer that has a scarf. Barry is free and has one. You can actually filter for trainers with scarf as it's a theme skill.

edit 2:
and if anyone thought Ghetsis couldn't possibly become creepier, well, there it is!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 1, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Good april fools event.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did anyone try the Sonia or Conductor Bros. events instead of Lillie’s? If so, what’s the answer to their specific riddles?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sonia’s is pretty easy, you just have to use the right types in the fight

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bobjr posted:

Sonia’s is pretty easy, you just have to use the right types in the fight

And I assume the game spells out pretty clearly what those types are?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/lWi89avGG7I

For anyone interested in these voicelines

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mabels big day posted:

https://youtu.be/lWi89avGG7I

For anyone interested in these voicelines

Neat, I didn’t even know that characters had special voice lines when paired together. Is this a recent addition, something that’s been in the game for a while, or something that’s going to be added in the near future?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Was added in the recent update.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So are any of the current tea party versions of the characters worth spending gems on out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 15, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Ingo has Bug Zone, Emmett is a good bug striker which are few and far between, Sofia is a good grass striker if you lack those, and Lillie is a good tanky support though that's role with more competition.

So they're all pretty nice depending on what you need.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’ve been playing for a few days now and am having some problems with Tyranitar in Sonia’s event. I only have two bugs, Pinsir and Surskit, and they’re both very bad. neither can do poo poo to Tyranitar at all. none of my main damage dealers (Mewtwo, Chandelure, Solgaleo) are up to the challenge either. I may be doing something wrong with team construction (usually going Polteageist/Lillie or Blastoise/Blue support and I’ve tried like 15 tech options) but I feel like I just need to roll a good bug

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

indigi posted:

I’ve been playing for a few days now and am having some problems with Tyranitar in Sonia’s event. I only have two bugs, Pinsir and Surskit, and they’re both very bad. neither can do poo poo to Tyranitar at all. none of my main damage dealers (Mewtwo, Chandelure, Solgaleo) are up to the challenge either. I may be doing something wrong with team construction (usually going Polteageist/Lillie or Blastoise/Blue support and I’ve tried like 15 tech options) but I feel like I just need to roll a good bug

There are no good bug units other than Alder and he's very limited. Focus on your biggest striker and proper supports, preferably of the same type for synergy bonuses. Do you have Mewtwo or Palkia EX'd and with a good sync grid build picked? Either of them can take down most things with proper support and setup.

Palkia, for instance, can either work with Winona for absurd water damage under rain or Drake for dragon damage. The critastrophe (sic?) build is the best, you start with a Spacial Rand, hope it crits (it will boost his status if it does), then do one New World boost, and then hit sync to nuke everything at once. Whatever doesn't die at first will die on the second sync if you can keep everyone alive until then. And if you have Blue+Blastoise, you will survive fine.

edit:

Look at this video starting about minute 9:06 and note how the Youtuber is playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXRcJRDXOtY&t=546s

The trick is to get to your sync turn as fast as possible and with at least one Spacial Rend that hit crit. This is way harder content on the video than any normal event battle and Palkia just implodes everything. This is a rain build and not a Dragon damage grid. He can do both. Just alternate between grids as needed. For the bug event, use the Dragon grid.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As mentioned above, Tea Party Emmett is apparently a pretty good Bug striker and TP Ingo has Bug Zone

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 19, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

There are no good bug units other than Alder and he's very limited. Focus on your biggest striker and proper supports, preferably of the same type for synergy bonuses. Do you have Mewtwo or Palkia EX'd and with a good sync grid build picked? Either of them can take down most things with proper support and setup.

Palkia, for instance, can either work with Winona for absurd water damage under rain or Drake for dragon damage. The critastrophe (sic?) build is the best, you start with a Spacial Rand, hope it crits (it will boost his status if it does), then do one New World boost, and then hit sync to nuke everything at once. Whatever doesn't die at first will die on the second sync if you can keep everyone alive until then. And if you have Blue+Blastoise, you will survive fine.

I was careless with my sync orbs cause I didn’t realize you had to convert them to build grids lol. my Palkia is very underpowered from where he should be, but I’ll give it a try. I do have Blue/Blastoise, should I find a third with dire hit all or just another striker?

all my theme skill upgrades have gone to Gen 7 characters cause that’s my favorite and I try to build teams around them lol. Polteageist Lillie/Tsareena Malow/Mudsdale Hapu have carried me through a lot of battles, I can’t get Hau to be worth a darn

indigi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 20, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

indigi posted:

should I find a third with dire hit all or just another striker?

Generally, a standard composition is two supports and one striker/tech depending on the situation. Palkia can raise its own crits with Spacial Rend + appropriate grid setup. Generally, an excellent support unit to go along with Blastoise is either Sycamore+Xerneas or Skyla+Swanna. The latter can raise speed and defense and has potentially infinite potions. The former can initially raise speed, keep itself healed with the vampire move (Horn whatever) and its sync move will boost everyone's speed and SpAtk to max.

Don't sleep on Skyla. She's worth upgrading to 5 stars and getting a proper grid. Check thread title.

Similarly to Palkia, Mewtwo can also raise its own Crit stats. For other strikers you may need someone with Dire Hit All+ (like Phoebe).

indigi posted:

all my theme skill upgrades have gone to Gen 7 characters cause that’s my favorite and I try to build teams around them lol.

That's fine, but don't expect to beat all content with a narrow window like that on your first days of playing. You'll have to keep upgrading more units to have a bigger and versatile roster.

indigi posted:

Mudsdale Hapu have carried me through a lot of battles

Wut? Don't spend resources on this pair unless you really, really like them. They bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Skyla also makes a pretty good tank if you don’t have Blue/Blastoise (and the game just gives her to you for free as part of the story)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is there any strategy to scouting? I’m doing the coop battles for Masters Day and everyone has way better sync pairs than me, makes me think I’m spending my gems in the wrong spots (I always save up to 3k so I get the free extra scout). right now I’m spending in the Selen/Elio banner to get 400 scout points, is that a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Sadly, yes it's a bad idea. It's almost always a bad idea to spend on non-PokeFair, Costume or Master Fair banners.

Elio and Selene are in the general 5* pool of people you can get on any banner and so their banner has much less worth than the others. Granted the chances of being spooked by a specific common pool 5* are very low so if you REALLY want that character their specialty banners are the best way... But most of those characters are also in the various 5* guaranteed ticket banner pools.

Other banners like the costume ones currently up do not put their featured units into the general pool once finished, so in order to get them you need to pull that banner or wait for a rerun. Reruns are... erratic. Master units have never re-run as yet.