Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Dont forget to hatch the magikarp eggs this week

The Magikarp that come from said eggs can be evolved into Gyarados right (also is the gold version any better or is it just an aesthetic change)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Shiny eggs are always the same as normal eggs except they always have 3/3 passives, while others have a chance to not be. You'll want these eggs as there's potential for the Striker Gyarados to be one of the better Water-type attackers, thanks to Water Shift Hyper Beam.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Shiny eggs are always the same as normal eggs except they always have 3/3 passives, while others have a chance to not be. You'll want these eggs as there's potential for the Striker Gyarados to be one of the better Water-type attackers, thanks to Water Shift Hyper Beam.

So they actually gave us a halfway decent Egg Pokémon for once? Nice

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The tech one comes with Rain Dance and Waterfall, which I think makes it the best one

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

All 3 Gyarados versions are great depending on what you need.

Strike has an good base SpAtk and Water Shift Hyper Beam, meaning they'll hit hard if you lack other good water striker options.

Tech has Rain Dance, Water Shift Hyper Beam, and a 60% Flinch Waterfall thanks to Aggravation 2. Much lower base SpAtk so they won't hit nearly as hard as Strike but they bring a lot in one package.

Support has Dire Hit All and a TM with SpAtk/Spd +1 All as well, making them a nice offensive buffer for Special Strikers that maybe need extra help.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how can you tell if the Magikarp you hatch is Strike, Tech, or Support?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Larryb posted:

So how can you tell if the Magikarp you hatch is Strike, Tech, or Support?

it’ll say on the detailed info screen you get when you long press the little icon. also on the ready screen/edit team screen before you go into battle there’ll be a little icon (heart for support, exclamation point for tech, and a fist in a bubble for striker) on the side of the pair icon right beneath the stars

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You look at it in the day-care and see what the icon next to it is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks, so is this the first Egg Pokémon they’ve put in the game that’s been more than just situationally useful?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Is Bertha worth pulling for

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Generally you're recommended not to pull on spotlight banners as those units are added to the general pool once the banner is over.

Her niches are Sandstorm and Atk debuffing so she's not too vital. Everyone has Acerola after all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Which is fair, but remember we're in this brave new world where high-end content (Legendary Gauntlet) requires several units to do the same or similar things. More weather setters = more Moltres kills, for instance. Not that I'm saying you should pull on a spotlight banner, but Bertha does look good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’ll just keep spending everything on the Morty banner.

I’m having a tough time beating Cobalion for the extra gems, most of my pairs aren’t capped and without full potential upgrades or filled out sync grids so most of the strategies in videos/on Reddit just don’t work yet

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

indigi posted:

I’ll just keep spending everything on the Morty banner.

You should save your gems for Slick Giovanni, since he will be meta defining. Also 12% 5* pull rate on that banner.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ok that sounds like a plan

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Saoshyant posted:

You should save your gems for Slick Giovanni, since he will be meta defining. Also 12% 5* pull rate on that banner.

12%? He's not Master Fair though, is he?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

12%? He's not Master Fair though, is he?

Isn't he? I thought I read that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Saoshyant posted:

Isn't he? I thought I read that.

https://gamepress.gg/pokemonmasters/pokemon/giovanni-nidoking

There's no Master passive listed here.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what’s a master passive?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Master Fair units get a master passive that boosts damage and reduces incoming damage in addition to the normal 3 passive skills. Depending on the unit this is powered up by units of either the same type or same region being in the same team.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So are any of the new Sinnoh Sync Pairs worth spending gems on out of curiosity?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Aaron's a really solid buffer and tank (I would rate him better than SS Morty but for lack of sun setting), Bertha has Sandstorm and Atk drops, Lucien is pretty good at Atk and SpDef drops.

SS Giovanni outshines them all easily. But if you have over the 36k or so needed to pity Giovanni and want to throw some extra at them you could do a lot worse. Aaron is one I'll be looking out for on future select scouts.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 14, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dont forget to splash your magikarps today for the gems

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I guess I’ll just farm the ground event for tickets to get 3* books and finally start capping pairs

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hatched the final Magikarp eggs and *sigh* no shiny. Welp, I tried.

At least in good news for me I got Giovanni on the third multi pull.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I got double giovanni in my first pull which is great because now I am safe no matter what next month brings. Ideally I can skip it entirely and have 2+ pitys worth of gems for Summer

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
4 pulls for Giovanni. Pretty good. Waiting for datamine to see if I want to pull for more copies or anything. But I have 1 strike candy and 18/20 to the next one so probably not.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What benefit do shinies have? I just hatched a shiny magikarp and a shiny ghastly in succession

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Nothing, they are just shiny. :v:

They are always guaranteed to have all three passives though so you can never get a "useless" shiny.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Caved and spent 2 multis for Morty, too. I am still disappointed in him being primarily a defensive buffer, but weather setters are never entirely useless.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

indigi posted:

What benefit do shinies have? I just hatched a shiny magikarp and a shiny ghastly in succession

What kind of magikarp? Most shiny eggs can only be 1 set role but they made Magikarp be shiny for all 3

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat, Gio/Nido is a beast. got two on my first pull - then none on the next four. I think I’ll save my remaining gems for the next killer and just save up for candy to get him to 3/5

mabels big day posted:

What kind of magikarp? Most shiny eggs can only be 1 set role but they made Magikarp be shiny for all 3

Tech :/

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nice, Tech is easily the best one due to its rain and flinch utility. Strike is fine but Water is not exactly a difficult type to stack with incredible damage dealers, though Water Hyper Beam in rain is kinda nuts. Support isn't that great since it doesn't really offer much, though +2 crit, SpAtk and Spd isn't the worst. I, meanwhile, got zero shinies, not that I was really gonna use them anyway.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Aside from Regirock this gauntlet is pretty easy so I think I can try for a 15+ streak

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t have enough actually-useful pairs above level 120 with mostly filled out grids to do more than 4 or 5 yet :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

indigi posted:

I don’t have enough actually-useful pairs above level 120 with mostly filled out grids to do more than 4 or 5 yet :(

The Gauntlet is the endest of end games for this title. It's meant for people who have a ridiculous number of sync pairs all powered up with nothing else to use them on. And the rewards aren't even that important, so don't worry.

Everyone, do pay attention that today is the monthly celebration day and there's a free 1030 gems to collect, plus a bunch of other rewards especially if you do about five or six co-op battles. It's only available for one day as these things go if you are not familiar with it, so don't miss out.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I loving hate legendary gauntlet because I have negative interest in reset scumming for MPRs so I can limp across the line with teams of useless goobers.

Also any DPS with a recoil move is instantly invalidated by the very nature of the fight.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Four pulls on Giovanni and the only things I've gotten were Morty/Drifblim and Lillie/Clefairy, both of which I have at 5/5 already.

It has been so loving long since this game has given me ANYTHING at all. :negative:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Four pulls on Giovanni and the only things I've gotten were Morty/Drifblim and Lillie/Clefairy, both of which I have at 5/5 already.

It has been so loving long since this game has given me ANYTHING at all. :negative:

Same, I never got SS Serena either despite my best efforts and god knows when they’ll bring her back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

She's a Master Fair, so currently she won't be rerun at all.

Also 36k gems for spark or bust, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment otherwise.