Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I think I would pick even Mr. Caffeine over Greg Miller. I don't know why but I just don't like looking at or listening to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

I think this is gonna be a good E3 season

this has been the year of planning a lot of really cool stuff without much actually happening so in a way it's the year of e3

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

eonwe posted:

I think this is gonna be a good E3 season

I like talking about video games with buds so :yeah:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

E3 gets me amped even tho its a huge letdown every year

cant fuckin wait :f5:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Whatever became of Mr. Caffeine?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I will never in my life forget the E3 where last guardian got a release date followed by Shenmue 3 and FF 7 remake announcements. I don’t think I’ve ever felt such unreasonable excitement

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baller Time posted:

I think I would pick even Mr. Caffeine over Greg Miller. I don't know why but I just don't like looking at or listening to him

Greg Miller has always weirded me out but I don't have an explanation for it, best I can figure is his energy just seems forced/false, like the McElroys.

I genuinely have no idea who's possibly presenting at E3 itself anyway though so it doesn't really matter, just watch the trailers after.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

man nurse posted:

I will never in my life forget the E3 where last guardian got a release date followed by Shenmue 3 and FF 7 remake announcements. I don’t think I’ve ever felt such unreasonable excitement

And one of them even turned out it be good!

Orv
May 4, 2011

stev posted:

Hey, some people liked The Last Guardian. For some reason.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

man nurse posted:

loved easy allies/GT for this kind of stuff

https://youtu.be/eZYUq-jzLUg

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

stev posted:

imo all three delivered on their promises. TLG was a frustrating but technically amazing experience, Shenmue 3 was a Shenmue rear end Shenmue game, and FF 7 Remake against all odds came into existence and was good.

Besides I was referring more to the back to back oh poo poo moments of “these games are finally being made”

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I hope they show Snoop smoking weed while playing the new Battlefield again

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry Horizon, but if my options are sequel to good game that's expected to also be good, and the absolute grab bag that is anything Sonic

Sonic everytime

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I do like that moment when you watch a livestream and it's "what's this?" "A new game from (franchise)?" "Nope, something new" "Narrator sounds like X" "What genre is this" and then the reactions after the title reveal.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

wuggles posted:

loved easy allies/GT for this kind of stuff

https://youtu.be/eZYUq-jzLUg

I watch this video whenever my soul needs a pick me up. Huber is my spirit animal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the peak hype to reality trough of disappointment was Metroid: Other M. I remember that, after a presser filled with games like Women's Murder Club (not a game about women in a club organized for murdering other people) that everyone would instantly forget they showed that and everyone was like "this is it Nintendo had the best show no question!!!" and then the game came out and it was so so so so so bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

man nurse posted:

What about last year when they released the trailer for Beyond Good and Evil 2 and people couldn't loving believe it was FINALLY happening, it was really going to happen!

Oh wait, haha, not last year. Must have been 2019. Wait... it wasn't? 2018 seems a long time ago but I gue.... oh my God it was 2017 :stare:

I think 2018 they had a follow-up where Joseph Gordon-Levitt explained he wanted to steal people's art for use in the game? E3 is a wild loving time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this is my favorite Modern E3 Thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf0wxJk75E

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Pre-Pre Show was a thing of beauty. It's live, not live! I hope we get another night of that nonsense though I doubt this sinful world deserves it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Baller Time posted:

all day every day

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Barudak posted:

I think the peak hype to reality trough of disappointment was Metroid: Other M. I remember that, after a presser filled with games like Women's Murder Club (not a game about women in a club organized for murdering other people) that everyone would instantly forget they showed that and everyone was like "this is it Nintendo had the best show no question!!!" and then the game came out and it was so so so so so bad

iirc there really wasn't much in the way of signs of just how mediocre it would be until it came out and half the reviews were 'this is pretty bad'. people were excited that it was going to be a new evolution of the 2D metroid games, this time with real story! however, turned out the writing was absolutely terrible and the gameplay was clunky & lacked all the exploration the series was known for

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I'm so excited for E3 to come and go without anything about Silksong or Bloodlines 2

lih
May 15, 2013

team cherry already confirmed silksong isn't at e3 this year to save everyone the disappointment

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lih posted:

iirc there really wasn't much in the way of signs of just how mediocre it would be until it came out and half the reviews were 'this is pretty bad'. people were excited that it was going to be a new evolution of the 2D metroid games, this time with real story! however, turned out the writing was absolutely terrible and the gameplay was clunky & lacked all the exploration the series was known for

Oh wasn't saying that people were wrong to be hyped, I just remember how bad that conference was otherwise and yet people were like this one game made Nintendo best in show thats how much hype was riding on it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As much as I liked Twilight Princess the insane E3 hype that game got will never stop being amusing. People genuinely seemed to be expecting a LOTR scale epic after that announcement.

Going back to The Last Guardian and Shenmue they were both games that people had genuine reasons to be hugely excited about, but that excitement seemed to go dead as soon as they released. I've never played a Shenmue but most people at the time were saying it was a terrible waste of time even compared to the first two games. And I think TLG would have been a classic on SotC's level if it hadn't been through development hell for a decade and was made with the PS4 in mind. That thing was nigh unplayable when it released and the early stages of the game weren't strong enough for me to persevere through. Which is a real shame because everything about the concept was wonderful.

lih
May 15, 2013

Nintendo's 2009 E3 was fine and seemed exciting enough at the time with a few huge announcements in NSMB Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Other M. certainly a huge improvement on their disastrous 2008 E3

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

lih posted:

Idk, I don’t wanna boast but I feel like I kinda saw it coming? At the very least, a 3D game played with a sideways Wiimote was always an unsalvageable idea, and it was coming off of the heels of several other Nintendo games that went hard on story only to wind up being embarrassing.

stev posted:

As much as I liked Twilight Princess the insane E3 hype that game got will never stop being amusing. People genuinely seemed to be expecting a LOTR scale epic after that announcement.

A lot of it was still-lingering Wind Waker backlash and a general push across the industry for darker more “mature” titles, people really hated the idea of playing as Link as a kid back then. Looking back that trailer itself even is pretty dumb. “Blades Will Bleed” what does that even mean?

midwifecrisis posted:

I'm so excited for E3 to come and go without anything about Silksong or Bloodlines 2

Bloodlines 2 just restarted development under a different studio and Silksong is confirmed not to be there by the devs, safe bet.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 26, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't been following anything about Bloodlines 2, is the new studio Arkane by any chance and they're doing it in the Dishonored engine? :shobon:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't been following anything about Bloodlines 2, is the new studio Arkane by any chance and they're doing it in the Dishonored engine? :shobon:

I think Arkane is heads down on Deathloop still, haven't heard about any other projects for them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crazy to think that was supposed to out this month, I think they said it needed more work but I imagine Mass Effect Legendary coming along had a fair bit to do with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wasn't the Bloodline 2 delay announced before Legendary Edition was even officially a thing? I might be massively forgetting my timeline there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

stev posted:

I just remember being excited cause I thought mounted combat would be more of a thing and good. It ended up being required in what, a midboss you find in the field and one part of the final boss? And it wasn't a super exciting/fun system, maybe slightly better than mounted combat in a gaddang dynasty warrior game. There was a lot about TP that disappoints me in hindsight, but I definitely remember a younger version of myself sad as heck that the horseback stuff was maybe a smidge more involved than it was in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. Had a cool final boss gauntlet though--I did enjoy that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bloodlines 2's development was halted indefinitely around the same time as the Mass Effect remaster was announced, I doubt the two had much of anything to do with each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Orv posted:

Wasn't the Bloodline 2 delay announced before Legendary Edition was even officially a thing? I might be massively forgetting my timeline there.

Oh sorry no I was talking about Deathloop. I think it was supposed to be out mid-to-late May originally.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 26, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh sorry no I was talking about Deathloop. I think it was supposed to out mid-to-late May originally.

Ohhhh yeah. It's also been delayed twice so while the ME release might have had something to do with it, I think Arkane is just taking their time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean it's fine for me, I already have Mass Effect and like 4 more Yakuza games to play through so the delay works out nicely. I just hope it's as enjoyable as Dishonored 1 and especially 2 were - the level design in the latter in particular was incredible and the gameplay was just so smooth and easy to get a grasp on the various powers. Which is also why I was saying I wished they were doing Bloodlines 2, a lot of the Dishonored powers seem like they could be repurposed for various Vampire abilities.

lih
May 15, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

Idk, I don’t wanna boast but I feel like I kinda saw it coming? At the very least, a 3D game played with a sideways Wiimote was always an unsalvageable idea, and it was coming off of the heels of several other Nintendo games that went hard on story only to wind up being embarrassing.
Yeah the weird control idea was definitely a warning sign, but I think early on it looked like it was going to be much more 2D than the sort of 2.75D it ended up being. Though still, sideways Wiimote was pretty much never a good idea, it was still pretty clunky even for 2D games where it wasn't as terrible of an idea as Other M . If had just used the nunchuk and you just pressed a button to go into first-person aiming that would have surely improved things. I looked back and there were a few Other M previews a month before it came out that said it felt a bit clunky to play but still didn't at all reveal the extent of its problems.

I don't know which other Nintendo games with embarrassing stories from the time you mean though, I can't think of any. With Other M it just seemed that Sakamoto's vision for Metroid was deeply out of touch with what people actually liked about it, but that disconnect had never been so apparent before because he'd never had the resources to do so much with the story in previous games.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'm kinda missing when there was seemingly always a dark souls and a bloodborne and a sekiro in production. There's Elden ring but at this point it might as well be vapor ware. Doesn't feel real even if it is.

This in turn makes it feel like there's nothing really interesting coming out. I mean death loop is probably going to be fun but not 'special'. Same with Horizon. I'll complete it then its gone from my mind. I just want another souls game, or a disco elysium. And there doesn't seem to be anything like even rumored.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

After the trailer leak a few months ago I really don't see why Elden Ring wouldn't show up at E3. If it doesn't then that'll be alarm bell time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Elden Ring was supposed to show up at TGS 2020 and then the world exploded shortly before, that coupled with From's general lack of pre-release information on their games has lead to a weird vortex of fans freaking themselves out for months if not a solid year now, when the reality is that this is pretty standard for From games. That said yeah, if it doesn't show up during the next few months here - E3 et al, TGS, Gamescom - something might be up on the dev end.