Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It's been rather a while since I've read it, but no I'm rather sure military service is the only way to gain citizenship, and that there's a multi-page tirade in the dead middle of it as to why only people who serve in the military are fit for citizenship and that this is the ideal way to run a society.

yeah it's pretty explicit that it's military only, if not necessarily combat. this guy summaries the relevant parts of the book pretty well. http://dd-b.net/dd-b/misc/strooper-federal-service.html

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The idea behind sufferage for veterans is that they're willing to put the common good ahead of their own as evidenced by their willingness to join the military. It's a strange and oddly utopian line of thinking, but Heinlein was nuts so I suppose that shouldn't be surprising. I suspect current members don't get sufferage since they haven't shown sufficient commitment to the service/society, as evidenced by completing one's tour.

Johny Rico's internal monologue:

quote:

I couldn't to save my life remember why I had signed up.
Anyhow, it wasn't the process of voting that made a citizen—the Lieutenant had been a citizen in the truest sense of the word, even though he had not lived long enough ever to cast a ballot. He had “voted” every time he made a drop.
And so had I!
I could hear Colonel Dubois in my mind: “Citizenship is an attitude, a state of mind, an emotional conviction that the whole is greater than the part … and that the part should be humbly proud to sacrifice itself that the whole may live.”

I was sure I remembered a passage in either his high school lessons or officer training where this was challenged as having no basis in anything, but the teacher dismisses that with the admittedly circular logic of it works because it works.
but I can't find it now so maybe I'm imagining that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, I remember that too. The teacher asks why continue with this system, gets whatever answer, and declares that it was a trick question because the real reason for keeping any system in place is that "it works".

Which even as a credulous teenager who hadn't yet grown out of my Heinlein-loving Libertarian phase asked "works for who?"

thanks, found It now. "trick question" was what to search for.

quote:

Major Reid smiled.
“Mr. Salomon, I handed you a trick question. The practical reason for continuing our system is the same as the practical reason for continuing anything: It works satisfactorily.”
the continues to babble on about the divine right of kings and Plato's Rebulic in a way that really you just need to skip over to get back to the boys' own adventure & wild tech.