Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/AlexHorne/status/1540636991108382722

I just kinda wanted to brag about this here because I love this show and this guy so much.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

edit: Apparently Richard filmed just three weeks after having one of his balls removed from an early cancer diagnosis, which gently caress. In that case I guess good on him, gently caress.
God imagine if he'd brought it in for the prize task

Lou all excited about her prize and him just quietly going "heh heh"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Superrodan posted:

I just kinda wanted to brag about this here because I love this show and this guy so much.

Cool dude :hmmyes:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Ed Gamble is one of the big cases of somebody going on Taskmaster and discovering a side of himself that he wasn't really fully aware of. He doesn't think of himself as smug or as a jock, but he is relentlessly competitive and probably on the upper end of the most fit contestants on Taskmaster. Russell Howard was similar about not thinking himself as all that manly despite being the most athletic out of his season. Iain Sterling also discovered a new level of competitiveness within himself. Noel Fielding had a whole career developing an image where you wouldn't expect him to be all that athletic, but turned out as one of the best of his season.

Richard Herring seems actually more confident in himself on Taskmaster than he is on his own podcast, where he seems a lot more of a stuttering mess from the episodes I listened to. I guess a lot of that may be editing, but there seems to be genuine confidence there. Lou Sanders I think definitely was made to look better by editing; on podcasts she is totally spacey, and I think after knowing what she's like on a podcast, I see some of what Iain Sterling might've been frustrated at when working with her on team tasks.

Some people you discover new sides of on Taskmaster, other people manage to cover up parts of who they were.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Didn't Noel Fielding have an entire bit about his athletic physique clashing with his fashion sense like twenty years ago?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They dropped all the outtakes from S13, which have (I think?) a lot of extra footage not yet released. It's an hour long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeoLelcnYes

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They dropped all the outtakes from S13, which have (I think?) a lot of extra footage not yet released. It's an hour long!

That's a lot of takes :eyepop:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
For some reason there is a repeat outtake in the middle, and its the longest one. That confused me, but the rest of it was really great.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Taskmaster NZ starts next week? I just started watching this show a few series back, so this is the first week I haven't been able to see new (to me) Taskmaster content in a long time and I am already missing it.

Maybe I should try to watch the dubbed versions of the show.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Alex's new line of food must have been painful to cut from the episode, must have been desperate to trim the episode down. But I think my fav clip here is the when Ardal tries to tell the panel about the sheep with tin can shoes. I couldn't stop laughing.

nerox: Yes, TM NZ kicks off next Wednesday. If you do want to try out a dub, why not try one from the official TM channel? They posted series 1 of Kongen Befalen recently, which I think is the best non-English franchise.
https://yewtu.be/watch?v=fCTnIIToXDA&quality=dash
(linking via invidious in case there are region restrictions)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=fCTnIIToXDA&quality=dash
(linking via invidious in case there are region restrictions)

As a native Norwegian speaker I just checked this out, and hooooly poo poo these subs are terrible. Not even from a 'translate the meaning' way but even a 'this makes grammatical sense in English' way. I was just skipping around and literally the second place I click at ~22:10:
- 'I call it golden': should be 'that's what I call golden (brown)', meaning preserved but terrible English
- I assume it's some kind of misguided find+replace thing that makes 'looks' into 'lookays' everywhere?
- 'Then it was food': a literal translation that anyone who knows English could have corrected. Should be something like 'Time for food' or any of the other billion ways you could phrase that without it sounding awful.
- 'Do you want any accessories': this might be literally correct but it sounds wrong to me, would use condiments or some other more food-related terms to make the meaning clear.
- 'This must be law': should be 'this must be allowed', the translation '''choice''' that made me post this.

That was less than 25 seconds of footage. There is no way this was anything but the first pass of google translate without as much as a native english-speaker looking at it, much less anyone who knew Norwegian (or another Scandinavian language). Not sure I could recommend anyone watch this.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 1, 2022

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

nerox posted:

Taskmaster NZ starts next week? I just started watching this show a few series back, so this is the first week I haven't been able to see new (to me) Taskmaster content in a long time and I am already missing it.

Maybe I should try to watch the dubbed versions of the show.

I read this as trying a dubbed version of Taskmaster NZ which gave me a chuckle.

Shid.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

As a native Norwegian speaker I just checked this out, and hooooly poo poo these subs are terrible. Not even from a 'translate the meaning' way but even a 'this makes grammatical sense in English' way. I was just skipping around and literally the second place I click at ~22:10:
- 'I call it golden': should be 'that's what I call golden (brown)', meaning preserved but terrible English
- I assume it's some kind of misguided find+replace thing that makes 'looks' into 'lookays' everywhere?
- 'Then it was food': a literal translation that anyone who knows English could have corrected. Should be something like 'Time for food' or any of the other billion ways you could phrase that without it sounding awful.
- 'Do you want any accessories': this might be literally correct but it sounds wrong to me, would use condiments or some other more food-related terms to make the meaning clear.
- 'This must be law': should be 'this must be allowed', the translation '''choice''' that made me post this.

That was less than 25 seconds of footage. There is no way this was anything but the first pass of google translate without as much as a native english-speaker looking at it, much less anyone who knew Norwegian (or another Scandinavian language). Not sure I could recommend anyone watch this.

I don't speak a word of Norwegian but if you're willing to :filez: there's fansubs of all 5 seasons done by volunteers that seem really good and they put in the effort to try and explain some of the culturally specific jokes. And yeah, they literally did a find and replace for "OK" to "okay" for some reason, I'm pretty sure I remember some absolutely incredible inclusions of "okayay".

For what it's worth, I've spent way too much time watching different versions of this show and Kongen Befaler is by far my favorite non-English version.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Superrodan posted:

Cool, but even his own official TM channel still has some copyright muted audio for some of the episode uploads.

lol at copyright and youtube I guess?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Alex seems like a swell dude.

Also man, I know expecting Taskmaster NZ to live up to it's second is a fools wish, but I'm so pysched for it to be back soon.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Alex seems like a swell dude.

Also man, I know expecting Taskmaster NZ to live up to it's second is a fools wish, but I'm so pysched for it to be back soon.

2nd series was amazing, yes, but you gotta approach each season of taskmaster like a jaded speed-dater with attachment issues. It's just part of the process that we come in skeptical and leave with full hearts.

Insurrectionist posted:

As a pedant, this irritates me because 'OK' is in fact grammatically correct. It's an acronym!!

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 2, 2022

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
first ep of the new taskmaster nz is pretty low-energy, probably not helped by the lack of audience. josh and kura seem like they're gonna be the most fun.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

exmarx posted:

first ep of the new taskmaster nz is pretty low-energy, probably not helped by the lack of audience. josh and kura seem like they're gonna be the most fun.

I'd bet in the egg task they could have just dumped the pole over and gotten better than 9 intact eggs since eggs do not normally break when dropped onto grass. Hell you see it a few times during the task where eggs fell from the top and didnt break on the grass.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ah snap. It's a shame taskmaster finally got popular enough that there's fake 50 minute videos thrown on YT with shady links in the description. Makes it harder to tell when they actually are showing up.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I think I liked the crème brûlée task best out of that first episode - suitably strange, lots of latitude. And Chris was a half-second shy of lucking into a brilliant way of solving the task - cracking it just before the timer runs out would be clutch.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ooh, is that a cheeky little... tiramisu?

The mood was indeed a bit off, and Jeremy is still underwhelming as Taskmaster, very rarely going beyond a simple back and forth with his banter. But I didn't mind the contestants. Hope the series picks up as it goes.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I thought the curly hair guy had some fun energy to him.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"Cheeky little tiramisu" would have been a better episode title, maybe we should steal that for the thread title instead?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Ooh, is that a cheeky little... tiramisu?

The mood was indeed a bit off, and Jeremy is still underwhelming as Taskmaster, very rarely going beyond a simple back and forth with his banter. But I didn't mind the contestants. Hope the series picks up as it goes.

I felt exactly the same way about the first 2 eps of NZ season 2. So I have high hopes here.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Compared to the insanity that S2 became, the new lot do exude Dad Energy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I feel like Jeremy Wells failings are made up for by Paul Williams thankfully. Wells doesn't seem to be putting much effort into being charismatic, plays it incredibly straight without the naughty charm Greg brings, and has an unfortunate aversion awarding people for being clever or ridiculous. Thankfully Williams is a goofball and tends to be pretty clever with the retorts to dumb questions. His music is very good too.

A lot less manic energy this season, ah well.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I felt exactly the same way about the first 2 eps of NZ season 2. So I have high hopes here.

Season two had me at David crawling up into the rafters, and the float this brussel sprout task which might be the best of all time.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I saw Paul Williams at a show last month, he was so genuinely awkward as his mic stand kept slipping that I have to believe it isn't an act.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That was a fantastic live task.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
very tangentially related, but :letsgo:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hell yeah Guy. He's been doing them on Youtube for a bit and they're a blast. There's one with most of the TMNZS2 cast.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow I hadn't heard of these. They're great!

"I've got a lemon" holds up lemon
"Way to go Matt, we knew you could do it"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd have just had the creme brulee. Spend 25 minutes setting up a nice fine dining environment, with a tablecloth and candles, have Paul who is already dressed as a waiter serve the creme brulee under a cloche, and just enjoy a nice treat during a hard day of filming tasks. What's possibly more satisfying?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I thought it might be better to go down the skit route rather than the physical challenge. Get Paul to point and say "It's the evil Creme Brutalee, and he's making his escape in that car with your girlfriend Sarah". Shot of toy car, creme brulee next to the steering wheel. Don shades, quip, draw a spoon from my boot, use it like a throwing knife. Cut to shot of spoon nailing the villainous dessert, SFX of squeeling tyres, toy car flips. End with me and whatever toy we found to play Sarah walking away from camera into sunset. fin.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The thing that stood out to me with the first episode of TM:NZ Season 3 is that I think NZ might actually have better task concepts than recent UK.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The thing that stood out to me with the first episode of TM:NZ Season 3 is that I think NZ might actually have better task concepts than recent UK.

UK has had some really good concepts in the most recent season, I would reckon. One of the best concepts in my opinion ended up being one of my least favorite tasks in execution... the one where they had to hold a dramatic meeting with themselves. The high five one was quite interesting in execution. And who can forget the shoes?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
2 episodes in, it's pretty clear that josh has the unfair advantage of being smart

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I laughed a lot this episode and lol, return of the kiwi fish poster :razz:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
TMNZ Season 3 Episode 2 is so much better than the first one. I always wanted Sauce Tits

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 13, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

TMNZ Season 2 Episode 2 is so much better than the first one. I always wanted Sauce Tits

*season 3. It's a different feel than the second season. Not as much fun as 2nd, but agree it's better than the 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Superrodan posted:

One of the best concepts in my opinion ended up being one of my least favorite tasks in execution... the one where they had to hold a dramatic meeting with themselves.

I've only just thought, was that task being filmed in the immediate wake of the Jackie Weaver zoom meeting? Might be the point of inspiration there. Although I remember that Sarah Kendall said on the podcast one of the tasks she did that was cut from Series 11 was some kind of multiple-take film collage thing, so maybe that turned into the meeting task, or the team song task, or both.

TMNZ ep 2: The kids eating off the sushi train while singing was really sweet, and while seldom employed, it's a winning strategy whenever deployed on a prize task. I appreciated how the pi task didn't have any twist, and the drama was all in how the contestants reacted to it. You watch Justine, and wonder how Chris could possibly do worse...oh brother.