Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

13 was the only one I feel like I've seen that got to about that point, where the cast was clearly having a hoot by the end of it. The only raincloud on that series is that Judi Love is clearly being affected towards the end that she never gets a sustained victory. They lay it surprisingly thick on her despite the fact that it's bothering her in a way that's just kind of a bummer to watch. Pointing out and laughing that she could have won an episode if she had done the final task properly just felt kind of cruel. Particularly cause she is fun as hell to watch regardless.

Yeah, I definitely felt the same way. The episode where she just almost took it was heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Just to remind everyone that humor is subjective and there is no consensus*, I love season 8, think 10 is perfectly fine, and season 9 is my second-worst after 6.

*except for 7 and NZ2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

6 was the worst season to me, but 7 was the best. 8 got weirdly depressing for a little bit as Joe and Paul fell really fall behind, but Iain was fun. Usually my favorite people in a season end up losing, but Nish Kumar was the only time where he was my favorite because I knew of him beforehand, but was also the one lagging behind in last place all the way through.

It's surprising to me to hear that John Kearns is in third place, because it feels like he should be doing abysmally. Kind of some Mark Watson energy.

stev posted:

The problem is that he genuinely wanted to win and didn't particularly care about being entertaining. Usually the more competitive contestants make a bit of a joke out of it, but he dreamed of winning Taskmaster since he was a little boy and wanted to take the silly comedy show seriously.

He's also just not great in a group setting. He's made for one-on-one stand up/streaming or bouncing off an individual.

He tried to be entertaining, just he's not naturally very wacky. If you listen to RHSTLP he's got basically the same energy. Taskmaster seems to reward people who can be consistently okay rather than the silliest who will go off doing something that doesn't work.

Being the competitive person who really, really wants to win can still be plenty funny, and I think on average usually the most competitive person often ends up sabotaging themself. Aisling Bea, Iain Sterling, and Lee Mack each seemed to be the most aggressively competitive of their seasons, but didn't win.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Instead of talking about if the champions are actually good and funny, I'm going to review all the losers.

S1 Roisin Conaty. Pretty funny in the studio if only because of her rapport with Greg. A few good showing at the Taskmaster house though, including her interactions with Fred. Of course S1 was rough around the edges and you can barely compare the winners or the losers.

S2 Joe Wilkinson. Absolute legend for the potato throw alone.

S3 Paul Chowdhry. "Bastard's crying, innit?" The possibly unintentional archetype for contestants who seem to not get it.

S4 Lolly Adefope. This was a really strong cast overall, so I'm both surprised and not surprised she was in last place. Seeing a smart person do poorly would become another Taskmaster mainstay.

S5 Nish Kumar. Nish + Mark Watson was greater than the sum of its parts.

S6 Alice Levine. I still can't believe she won the first episode tricking us into thinking she'd be a contender. I'm still annoyed that people thought her calling Alex Babycakes and such was a secret task. No, she just decided to be funny on her own, as funny people sometimes do.

S7 Phil Wang. He was amusing to watch fail, and though it was largely a Rhod and James spectacle, his contribution to team tasks were appreciated. Also, you get to see his dick and balls.

S8 Paul Sinha. Good guy, but just depressing to watch especially now knowing his Parkinson's diagnosis.

S9 David Baddiel. Absolute mess and largely unamusing to watch. Pairing him with Jo Brand was a gamble by the producers that didn't pay off.

S10 Katherine Parkinson. Her interactions with Alex are gold. And the marble run was inspired.

S11 Charlotte Ritchie. She may not have won, but I'm still looking forward to her becoming a children's show presenter.

S12 Victoria Coren Mitchell. Again, smart people being dumb is great. And she learned how to ride a bike!

S13 Judi Love. For me, another contestant that both sucked at tasks and sucked to watch.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I was ready to really dislike vcm but she grew on me fast,she was like paul sinha in the fact that they’re both booksmart but definitely not streetsmart.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I didn't see anyone answering that "flag meal" pondering about being too difficult to translate culturally, or something like that, because its most used task that hasn't been copied in other countries. I don't think its that: "flag meal" could be translated to Finnish as "lounaslippu" which means literally "lunch flag" and also literally and practically "lunch ticket", as in either voucher for free lunch, or as Taskmaster does it, a lunch in the shape of flag.

No idea why it hasn't been used, although the Finnish Suurmestari tends for some reason drop most of the "thinking outside of the box" and "guessed the riddle correctly" solutions, which I personally find really stupid because in the TM UK they are the most interesting ones.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Der Kyhe posted:

I didn't see anyone answering that "flag meal" pondering about being too difficult to translate culturally, or something like that, because its most used task that hasn't been copied in other countries. I don't think its that: "flag meal" could be translated to Finnish as "lounaslippu" which means literally "lunch flag" and also literally and practically "lunch ticket", as in either voucher for free lunch, or as Taskmaster does it, a lunch in the shape of flag.

No idea why it hasn't been used, although the Finnish Suurmestari tends for some reason drop most of the "thinking outside of the box" and "guessed the riddle correctly" solutions, which I personally find really stupid because in the TM UK they are the most interesting ones.

I like the theory that since "flag meal" was presented as though it were some iconic British tradition, the foreign versions fell for the joke. It's not like they can't print "make a meal in the shape of a flag" in Finnish, it's just that they figured there's no rich tradition of preparing Sunday roasts to look like the Gambian flag in Finland.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DurosKlav posted:

I think I'm one of the few people who liked Daisy.

I liked Daisy too. There's not a single season I haven't really enjoyed, but I do agree with the general consensus that 7 was probably the best. Every single one of those contestants was a different kind of perfect. My favorite individual contestant would probably either be Wozniak or Correo though.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

oh jay posted:

S13 Judi Love. For me, another contestant that both sucked at tasks and sucked to watch.

Judi Love's "show off" task attempt was one of the highlights of the season. "I can borrow a dog". And "I sometimes get free stuff in Lidl".

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I will also die on the hill that based on the rules of the task as I remember them. Daisy drew a respectable version of a Hippo.

EDIT: rewatching it. Its a hell of a lot closer to looking like a hippo than Katherine's chicken. The chicken looks nothing like anything and I feel like it was just a lucky guess that they got it.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 15, 2022

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

Judi Love's "show off" task attempt was one of the highlights of the season. "I can borrow a dog". And "I sometimes get free stuff in Lidl".

While completely forgetting the bit about earning a masters degree while pregnant. She went for “I can borrow a dog if I need” instead.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Some people just don't like to brag, ok? :colbert:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Roisin as Greg’s conscience has me in fits of laughter

“YeeEeeeeEeeeSssss?!”

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

tgacon posted:

While completely forgetting the bit about earning a masters degree while pregnant. She went for “I can borrow a dog if I need” instead.

She gets a lot of emails!

DurosKlav posted:

I will also die on the hill that based on the rules of the task as I remember them. Daisy drew a respectable version of a Hippo.

EDIT: rewatching it. Its a hell of a lot closer to looking like a hippo than Katherine's chicken. The chicken looks nothing like anything and I feel like it was just a lucky guess that they got it.

I'd give her credit for the difficulty of the task, except that she doesn't give herself the same. She acts like there's no obstacle whatsoever in recognising the hippo, from either the task or her attempt at it, which is what makes it so funny to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Plenty of contestants well-known for being smart have been caught in big dumb idiot moments on Taskmaster, but Victoria Coren Mitchell I think never comes off as stupid and some of her failures even seem to make her look smarter. A big nerd doesn't know anything about sports? Learning to ride a bike in the middle of a task? She's just a very weird and very different type of person than the rest of the people on the show.

David Baddiel I thought was fun, but he definitely is just such a mess, and I'm not sure why.

I think maybe the people who were just dead last all the way might come off better and funnier than the people who more earnestly tried their best and are just worse than the rest. And most of the time the people with the most spectacular failures manage to make it up in other areas.

Heavy_D posted:

She gets a lot of emails!

I'd give her credit for the difficulty of the task, except that she doesn't give herself the same. She acts like there's no obstacle whatsoever in recognising the hippo, from either the task or her attempt at it, which is what makes it so funny to me.

People get frustrated during pictionary. The only straight lines rule might've screwed with things, because hippos are very round animals. I think adding the teeth would've done it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Someone was surprised at kerns 3rd place up thread.

Kerns is feast or famine. He either runs 4 and 5s or 1s. Contestants that are like that tend to usually run 2nd or 3rd place.

He’s just so poo poo sometimes it clouds when he’s good.

Those are always my absolute favorite contestants because when they fail it’s purely on them. You know they’re smart enough to not fail, and something about it is just hilarious.

Victoria Mitchell above is a great example of it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Alex asking Daisy if she remembered the prompt is an all time great moment.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

SlothfulCobra posted:

Plenty of contestants well-known for being smart have been caught in big dumb idiot moments on Taskmaster, but Victoria Coren Mitchell I think never comes off as stupid and some of her failures even seem to make her look smarter. A big nerd doesn't know anything about sports? Learning to ride a bike in the middle of a task? She's just a very weird and very different type of person than the rest of the people on the show.

My favourite thing about VCM is how she always has a snack in her handbag. On the Off Menu podcast she discussed bringing a sandwich to dinner parties (which she eats in the bathroom), and in Taskmaster she aced the 'sit on a cake' task with one she already had. She's always prepared and I think it's fantastic.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My only criticism of Victoria is she should have brought her drat glasses with her.

My favorite from her was her reward tasks. The masterful re-use was of course amazing, but how much Greg hated her offerings and it ending with her declaring it makes her weep to present the last one and remember how she thought Greg would enjoy her jokes.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 16, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phigs posted:

My favorite from her was her reward tasks. The masterful re-use was of course amazing, but how much Greg hated her offerings and it ending with her declaring it makes her weep to present the last one and remember how she thought Greg would enjoy her jokes.

The half a Man U season ticket for Alan is one of the all-time best prize task items.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phigs posted:

My only criticism of Victoria is she should have brought her drat glasses with her.

Too clever for her own good

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

evobatman posted:

The team task in the latest Kongen Befaler and the reactions after has to be in the Top 5 funniest tasks in the entire Taskmaster franchise.

Been looking forward to this and finally caught up. I think I preferred this to both Daniels' and Kearns' attempt at the same task; unbelievably blatant, utter demolition!

Also caught up with the first two episodes of Stormester. I don't usually think of this as the place to go for original tasks but they've actually put out quite a few good ones:

- They did a variant on hide the aubergines, where assistant Mark turns up after five minutes wearing a blindfold and the real task is to guide him by walkie-talkie to where you hid them without using Danish or English. But there's nothing in the task that requires Mark to keep the blindfold on, which a few of the contestants clock

- They had the contestants make a sculpture of a stork, with a twist. After 10 minutes to gather materials, they can't leave their spot in the lab - and at this point the lights go out. Like the grapefruit & spaghetti task, but with a more interesting end result.

- They had a couple of straightforward ones that feel similar to but not the same as UK ones: give Mark an unforgettable experience, and do something impressive with no hands. Both worked well.

- They had one that's quite hard to translate into English, but my best attempt: In the next 2 minutes, catch something upon your ear. Then make an ear-catching tune about that object. In Danish, the slang equivalent of "earworm" translates literally as "ear-hanger", so the whole task is built around an pun.

- They also borrowed one of the good Kongen Befaler tasks - Pop this popcorn, you may not enter the house. The Norwegians made that one look easy...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
What are the good non-english TMs to take a look at?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Leraika posted:

Swedish one (Bästa i test) is good, haven't seen the Norwegian one but many people say its better.

The Finnish version is not very good; the tasks lack thinking outside the box-alternative solutions, too many of the contestants are singers, authors, actors, and other inherently unfunny people, and the guy playing the Taskmaster somehow gets worse on playing the role, between each season.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Leraika posted:

I would definitely rank Norway's Kongen Befaler as the best non-english TM series, that is good from series 1 episode 1. So I'd start there. After that Sweden/Denmark in any order. Then Finland, Quebec and Croatia.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I'm half way through the second series of Kongen Befaler and loving it. From talk about the other versions I got the impression that New Zealand was the only one to do original tasks and the others just reused english ones(certainly true for the US version) so I'm really surprised with how many original tasks it has, and the few reused ones usually have a neat twist.

Stormester kind of lost me in episode one, there's this interaction where this contestant just kept lying and the taskmaster relented and gave her points, seemed a bit off, how can it be taskmaster when the taskmaster lets themselves get bullied by a contestant...

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Same way the Finnish one has started to do esp. in the later seasons; give all the crappy attempts 3 points because giving 0 points and an insult as a feedback would be rude or something.

There are also contestants, usually musicians, with whom it is obvious that they cant take a joke at all so giving them at least some points is just stroking their massive ego and keeping them from walking off the studio.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Wrote something long and been pre-empted, but not gonna let it go to waste now...

I'd put Kongen Befaler as top pick. A Taskmaster that measures up to Greg plus a good assistant. Has prize tasks. Lots of original tasks, mixed with UK ones that still feel fresh. Varied casts that can banter and joke. I used to dock them a mark for no team tasks, but they've just started doing them (in season 6). Hits all the look and feel as well, it's as close as it gets to another series of TM in my book. I also think lots of the most incredible moments come from this version.

Stormester is a bit lower, but still very good. Another strong TM and assistant, and the line-ups are also always good. Its biggest change to the format is not having a proper prize task - each week one contestant stakes an item of value for the episode winner to take home. No team tasks yet either, but that's very common in adaptations. Most of the tasks are things you'll have seen before, but to a lesser degree in later series. Later series have also extended the running time to over an hour, but I do think it's grown a touch flabby as a result. One nice feature is that they've bought back casts for one-off Christmas specials with specially themed tasks, something it has in common with...

Bäst i Test, which strays further from the format than these two. Neither the TM nor the panels seem very keen on in-studio banter, that side of things is cut back. Assistant is a pretty funny character though. Only four contestants feature every week, with a rotating fifth guest taking the final seat. Surprisingly they do team tasks with the four regulars - the guest has to "bet" on which team will win and shares their points. The show used to have prize tasks, but dropped them after a few series. The smartest change to the format was to introduce a second live task to the middle of the show, to break up the hour-long run time. The best part of the show is that they have a good proportion of original tasks, and these are usually well designed (e.g. the S12 pop the balloon task originated from this version).

Suurmestari is somewhere between all of these adaptations in terms of format: prize tasks are in, four panellists and a guest each week, no team tasks. I really like the assistant and her attempts to be deadpan during the tasks. TM is also alright when he puts the effort in to rank the contestants. Panels have been slightly hit and miss, S2 was better than S3 in that regard. The actual tasks are generally things you've seen before, unusually you're more likely to see an original live task than a filmed one.

To round things off, Direktor Svemira, Le Maître du Jeu and Taskmaster Portugal have all had promising first series. That said, they've all been fairly "safe" as well, all tasks you've seen before. Maybe a wait and see, unless you're completely starved for TM. Personally I haven't seen Het Grootste Licht or Dicho y Hecho, but the consensus on the latter is that it's an absolute slog, 2 hours an episode, and not worth it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The best thing about KB is the disregard for health and safety.

Isn't TM Portugal quite different too? It's a 90 minute Saturday primetime light entertainment show.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 16, 2022

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Unfortunately, it appears Atle Antonsen, the Taskmaster for Kongen Befaler, is a racist: https://www.reddit.com/r/panelshow/...utm_name=iossmf

individual865 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 16, 2022

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Pablo Bluth posted:

The best thing about KB is the disregard for health and safety.

A shocking amount of fire.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

Isn't TM Portugal quite different too? It's a 90 minute Saturday primetime light entertainment show.

True, but they haven't radically retooled the program for the timeslot. They add the midpoint live task, and an extra pre-filmed task, then they've got the prize task, and I guess the rest of the time comes from more generous editing, more attempts shown solo rather than cross-cut. Oh, and the taskmaster does like re-enacting the funnier moments of the task himself, guess that's a bit egregious.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The prize tasks this season on Kongen Befaler have been pretty amazing too.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Tonights episode wasn't amazing but it was a good solid amount of fun still. I really enjoyed the final task more than I thought I would.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

John is the ultimate gently caress up, and it’s absolutely fantastic.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I submitted a hand, but I'm way too lazy to confirm where/if it was used. Just gonna sit tight that my hand was used, the best case for foreveryolne instolved.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://i.imgur.com/r2M6kZ2.mp4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The final task really would have worked better if teams made their guesses independently. The team going second only had to guess over/under essentially, and I suspect we'd see much wilder guesses otherwise.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

someone should really tell dara to get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is the strongest cast they've had in a while. Everyone is really funny.

SlothfulCobra posted:

6 was the worst season to me, but 7 was the best.

I see this a lot but personally six is one of my favourite. Really strong cast (Liza, Alice and Tim especially), and the prize task where they have to bring in something they invented and everyone did a poo poo job rocked.

All Taskmaster is really good, but the seasons I rewatch the least are definitely the covid seasons. The vibe in the studio is just off.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 18, 2022