Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I wanted to add some basic ground rules here:

1. This is not the place to discuss international topics like Russia/Ukraine and Israel/Palestine unless Canada is specifically involved or something regarding that topic has occurred in Canada or you're discussing what Canada's role in that topic should be. This is a kind of "I'll know it when I see it" sort of line.
2. This is not a place to gossip about other posters. Specifically posters who have been banned from this thread.

https://twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/1706322612362645536

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That OP needs a serious update

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Random new thread for some reason? Okay

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Arivia posted:

Random new thread for some reason? Okay

The 2020 canpol thread was only expired by about 6 months

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I hope this political neophyte Justin Trudeau has what it takes to bring clean water to indigenous canadians and push through electoral reform!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
if you close recurrent threads put a link to the new one in the last post of the old one

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I am here and no longer thr thread liberal hack. Thank gently caress. Pretty sure I actually have PTSD from working in politics

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I, for one, am ready for a mug-pissing good time.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am here and no longer thr thread liberal hack. Thank gently caress. Pretty sure I actually have PTSD from working in politics

Write a memoir.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thread title is perfect

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Serious deja vu going on right now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DariusLikewise posted:

That OP needs a serious update

i could barely be assed to make a new thread when i noticed the other one had nine hundred pages, if anyone wants to revamp it they're welcome to send me the replacement (or even start a new new thread i guess)

mediaphage posted:

if you close recurrent threads put a link to the new one in the last post of the old one

good idea, done

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I dunno, I don't think this Andrew Scheer character is going to last.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So how about that Pallister being a god drat ghoul?

Oh, no, I don't know if he did anything today or justify me calling him that, just a friendly reminder for the new thread that Pallister, Premier of Manitoba, is almost definitively the worst Premier in the country, and is also a god drat ghoul.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Using my old OP that I put a lot of effort into in the halcyon days of 2019 reminds me of the before times when there was a politics other than Covid.

e: also a good reminder of how wrong I was about the Bloc!!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
2019? I’ve travelled back in time. I must warn the entire world about how bad Star Wars 9 is.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
American imperialists coming into our thread and forcing Andrew Scheer on us again. Don't you know that hard butter is the dairy issue of the day? Who cares about milk!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

No need to update the op because it's the same cycle of tripartite bullshit we've had for the last forty years

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Duck Rodgers posted:

Who cares about milk!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Reminder to listen and donate to Canadaland if you can. Their new series on Real Estate is very good.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

No need to update the op because it's the same cycle of tripartite bullshit we've had for the last forty years

There's a third party?

Oh, you mean the Bloc.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Someone should update that OP

Not it!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I am glad canpol dril made it along to the new thread

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

One of the most humiliating careers in Canadian political history.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

In on the first page

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

One of the most humiliating careers in Canadian political history.

Just you wait.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tk-emlups-te-secw%C3%A9pemc-215-children-former-kamloops-indian-residential-school-1.6043778

Remains of 215 children found buried at former B.C. residential school, First Nation says

The community took it upon themselves to hire a ground-penetrating radar tech to inspect the grounds and found 215 bodies buried. The police do not appear to be getting involved. Good poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Chris Sky had a warrant issued for his arrest and hosed off back to Saskatoon.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/arrest-warrant-out-for-chris-sky-in-manitoba-1.5447009

quote:

Winnipeg police have confirmed an arrest warrant has been issued for Chris Saccoccia, otherwise known as Chris Sky.

Police said in an email to CTV News the warrant is under the Provincial Offences Act.

Sky confirmed the news on his Telegram account, saying he is avoiding Winnipeg, where he was scheduled to appear at an anti-restriction rally on Friday, and is instead in Saskatoon for a different rally.

Police also said one person has been arrested for repeated violations of public health orders.

"There are 5 outstanding warrants yet to be executed in this regard," said police in an email.

The other warrants are rumored to be for the needle dicks with Winnipeg Alternative News or whatever the gently caress they are called.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFEIVkSHaJU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Think he is famous enough to get a Canada-wide warrant? It surprised me when I found out you literally could outrun the law in Canada by just going to a different province.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mila kunis posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tk-emlups-te-secw%C3%A9pemc-215-children-former-kamloops-indian-residential-school-1.6043778

Remains of 215 children found buried at former B.C. residential school, First Nation says

The community took it upon themselves to hire a ground-penetrating radar tech to inspect the grounds and found 215 bodies buried. The police do not appear to be getting involved. Good poo poo.

This is awful and unsurprising, and I'm guessing the police aren't involved because they're assuming the children were buried while the school was in operation 50 years ago and they already can't be assed to follow up on disappearances and murders of indigenous people that happened in this century.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Jesus Christ this is grim. This school was in operation under the Catholic Church's control until 1969 and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was only aware of 50 deaths there, partly because the Catholic Church refuses to release the relevant records.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I've seen a few of those and I've never met a subject who the agency cared enough about to come get. If you aren't going to put forth the slightest bit of effort, why copy-and-paste the original charge from two and a half years ago and start a brand new arrest with it

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Good time zone, new thread

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

Jesus Christ this is grim. This school was in operation under the Catholic Church's control until 1969 and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was only aware of 50 deaths there, partly because the Catholic Church refuses to release the relevant records.

I'll just drop in here to post the obligatory: gently caress all churches and gently caress religion. Whether it's murdering and raping children, or spreading plague, or engaging in settler-colonial adventures for centuries upon centuries, or any number of other things, religion is really loving bad.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The legacy the brutality of residential schools is a big part of why contemporary Indigenous folks have such struggles. It's a generational trauma. The most basic parenting skills we take for granted were lost to hundreds of thousands of kids, all for the price of abuse, maybe death, and perhaps a grade 3-level education by the time they were finished at the "school". It's infuriating how Canadian society trivializes it. Even weepy Trudeau has basically failed to take any meaningful action despite the 2015 TRC recommendations and the aforementioned weeping.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

We did get trudeau to apologize to italian fascists, so that's something

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Lassitude posted:

The legacy the brutality of residential schools is a big part of why contemporary Indigenous folks have such struggles. It's a generational trauma. The most basic parenting skills we take for granted were lost to hundreds of thousands of kids, all for the price of abuse, maybe death, and perhaps a grade 3-level education by the time they were finished at the "school". It's infuriating how Canadian society trivializes it. Even weepy Trudeau has basically failed to take any meaningful action despite the 2015 TRC recommendations and the aforementioned weeping.

They were death camps. Canada needs a reckoning on the level of the Nuremberg trials and post Nazi-Germany in terms of a society facing up to its sins. Just think about things like this mass grave whenever the dialoge of "was it really cultural genocide? was it really that bad that we want to use that term?" comes up.

It wasn't cultural genocide, it was just genocide. These abuses were happening post genocide convention too, so it literally was just genocide as the term is legally defined.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 28, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was very confused with the OP until I got to the bottom and read the disclaimer.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Op should just be replaced with a picture of William Amos, with the statement, "this guy pissed in a coffee cup on his zoom call with fellow MPs. That is the current state of Canadian politics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's the first page of a new thread! Just so everyone is reminded, the known criminal Doug Ford is responsible for the deaths of over seven thousand people in Ontario!