Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some local businesses outing themselves as pieces of poo poo. So far in Winnipeg Fat Panda Vapes, Winnipeg Tattoo Convention and CDC Computers have been loud and proud with social media posts and signs outside throwing support behind the movement. Folks on r/winnipeg have been posting about em and hopefully they suss out more of these morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/patjinfo/status/1486592705937346560

I don't know what's worse, the old dude who wants to shoot everyone or the "Let's Go Brandeau" t-shirt.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I've got a LOT of people I know saying this isn't about vaccines (someone said there are 90% vaccination rates among truckers, yet denies that the trucker freedom rally is small...doesn't quite put the pieces together) and are on their side.

Like, what do they think it's about?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If you live in Alberta, the default state is to have a seething hatred of Trudeau but a complete inability to articulate why if you investigate at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powershift posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/patjinfo/status/1486592705937346560

I don't know what's worse, the old dude who wants to shoot everyone or the "Let's Go Brandeau" t-shirt.

A Tim Hortons touque, the sign of a true patriot.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've have a friend in his 20s who at the start of the pandemic was a pretty easy going, blue collar worker. Now everything he posts is about the 50,000 truckers and media suppression. It's felt like this slow side into radicalisation over the past two years. It's kind of depressing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tsyni posted:

I've have a friend in his 20s who at the start of the pandemic was a pretty easy going, blue collar worker. Now everything he posts is about the 50,000 truckers and media suppression. It's felt like this slow side into radicalisation over the past two years. It's kind of depressing.

The "media suppression" claim is brilliant because it'll keep followers from bothering to check the media, where they would see 20 articles about truckers for every 1 article about any indigenous protest.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Tsyni posted:

The only thing more embarassing and cringeworthy for people like that is when they get into posting their trash on LinkedIn

Also let's go brandeau is totally on brand for Canada as far as being a weak cargo cult of the states without any original input

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Trudeau will be isolating over the weekend. Not that anyone expected him to be standing in front of the peace tower waiting on Parliament Hill as the protest rolls in, but the timing is so funny. For sure a ton of people will be split between thinking he's scared of these brave freedom fighters or this was an excuse for a security measure to get him out of town.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-isolation-covid-1.6329476

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

DrBox posted:

Trudeau will be isolating over the weekend. Not that anyone expected him to be standing in front of the peace tower waiting on Parliament Hill as the protest rolls in, but the timing is so funny. For sure a ton of people will be split between thinking he's scared of these brave freedom fighters or this was an excuse for a security measure to get him out of town.

"PM says he was exposed Wednesday night".

As if he didn't have enough damaging photos on the internet. :rimshot:

Edit: Well I guess that's one way to rebrand F*CK TRUDEAU

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 27, 2022

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Some local businesses outing themselves as pieces of poo poo. So far in Winnipeg Fat Panda Vapes, Winnipeg Tattoo Convention and CDC Computers have been loud and proud with social media posts and signs outside throwing support behind the movement. Folks on r/winnipeg have been posting about em and hopefully they suss out more of these morons.

My tattoo artist posted a pro trucker bullshit thing in his insta story and now I don't want to give him anymore business :(

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DrBox posted:

Ottawa guidance is to isolate if someone you live with tested positive, other exposures are keep an eye on your health.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tsyni posted:

Yeah I have an old wow friend in this state. Took me half an hour to do it, but I managed to put together a few well-sourced paragraphs to nudge him the right way and he seemed to agree. Time'll tell, but even if it doesn't who cares it's just facebook

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

"Media suppression" = every single news source has it on their front page.

It does seem like it's bigger than I thought originally, but its crazy how none of the reporting on it seems to be able to pin down a size. The national post is the only one I saw that specified 2000 trucks, but, it's the national post. The other articles just avoid mentioning the size or cite the organizer's claims.

What happened to on the ground reporting? There should be a junior reporter just counting these things as they go by, the mystery is only adding to people's interest.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Starks posted:

It does seem like it's bigger than I thought originally, but its crazy how none of the reporting on it seems to be able to pin down a size. The national post is the only one I saw that specified 2000 trucks, but, it's the national post. The other articles just avoid mentioning the size or cite the organizer's claims.

What happened to on the ground reporting? There should be a junior reporter just counting these things as they go by, the mystery is only adding to people's interest.

The OPP reports 113 commercial trucks and somewhere under 300 private vehicles were observed leaving Thunder Bay. That seems like the most reliable source (and it's a sad fuckin' day when I say that about something the cops say).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Starks posted:

They have it on their pages, but they're not reporting on it correctly by explicitly stating that these are our glorious, golden heroes come to topple the evil dictatorship of Justin "Literally the Devil" Trudeau and install a glorious new True Canadian Patriot regime that will end all COVID-19 mandates, make the price of Canadian oil $1000 per barrel and dismantle the CBC and arrest and try all journalists in the Nuremberg 2.0 trials for crimes against humanity.

PT6A posted:

The OPP reports 113 commercial trucks and somewhere under 300 private vehicles were observed leaving Thunder Bay. That seems like the most reliable source (and it's a sad fuckin' day when I say that about something the cops say).

Don't worry, the 75,000 trucks from the USA are bound to get here eventually.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

According to CBC comments, it's up to 75,000 trucks now! Wow!

Anyone got drone footage of the <100 trucks yet? Also, I hope they march right up to center block and fall in the giant 5 storey hole out front lol

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The second paragraph in this article is pretty great.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/protest-convoy-makes-stop-in-thunder-bay-4998517

This has the OPP figures cited above and also some very kind and friendly comments from the truckers. Looks like they're doing their own "media suppression".

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

PT6A posted:

Haha yeah that seems way more reasonable

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Thank you [child's school] for letting me know that someone in their class has lice.

IF YOU COULD GO BACK TO DOING THAT FOR COVID-19 THA'D BE loving GREAT

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

With those kinda numbers the potential payday for participating in this is actually pretty big, assuming that GoFundMe money gets disbursed equally (which is one hell of an assumption of course lol)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PittTheElder posted:

With those kinda numbers the potential payday for participating in this is actually pretty big, assuming that GoFundMe money gets disbursed equally (which is one hell of an assumption of course lol)

i cant believe trudeau would personally steal their gofundme money like that and fly away in a helicopter while cackling

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The fact that the GFM was organized by a Maverick party insider also means that the party will have access to any of the info the donors provide. Whether or not the funds are unfrozen or distributed, GoFundMe's ToS says this:

quote:

Unless the Donor opts-out of such disclosure, Donor acknowledges and agrees that, in accordance with the Privacy Policy, certain of Donor’s personal information will be shared with the Charity to which such Donor makes a Donation (including without limitation as part of a Donor List, as set forth below) and may be used by such Charity to issue official Donation receipts (or equivalent document) and in accordance with the Charity’s privacy policy. GoFundMe is not responsible, and shall not be liable, for any Charity’s use of any Donor information.

Donor Lists and Other Data. A Charity may access information about an Organizer of a Fundraiser for the Charity, Donor Lists (defined below) and Donor Data (defined below) for compliance and transactional purposes. Please contact us here with any questions. “Donor Data” means a Donor’s name, address, email address, Donation amount, date of transaction, transaction identification number, and name of the project. THE LIST OF DONORS WHO CONTRIBUTE TO A CHARITY’S FUNDRAISER THROUGH THE SERVICES (“DONOR LISTS”) IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” AND GOFUNDME MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES ABOUT THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR TIMELINESS OF ANY DONOR LIST OR ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN. Unless a Donor checks the “Anonymous” checkbox at the time of Donation or seeks to be anonymous through other means provided herein, by using the Services, the Donor consents to the disclosure of Donor’s Donor Data as described herein, including without limitation, disclosure as part of a Donor List.

And since GoFundMe washes its hands of anything the organizer does with the personal information of every donor they get, the party basically now has a list of people who are at least sympathetic and willing to put cash up. Presumably, this also means they can give or sell this donor list to others, though I'll admit I'm unclear on the legality of that in Canada.

Some of the big donations, in the five figure range, were anonymous, so presumably they don't get the same level of info, but lots of people glommed onto this for freedom and are now almost guaranteed to be part of a database of potential piggy banks to hit up for other fundraisers.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Tsyni posted:

A line of 50000 trucks if they have trailers is about 900 km long. It's fun to use google map to see how far a line of truck would strech. There would be no way to hide this if it was real.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

https://twitter.com/MissHelveticaB/status/1486717285083484169

Several Ottawa area businesses are also outing themselves. This tweeter also has a pretty good thread of insider info running.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wonder what the odds are that Crazy Horse pays/treats their stuff like poo poo?

I'd be pretty pissed if my boss cut my hours / denied me raises but then decided to give free food out to a bunch of truckers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If it's anything like pilots, there's a lot more truckers who are heartily embarrassed by these loving assholes and would just as soon watch the drive off a cliff, than support them. The good truckers -- the ones keeping everything going -- are fully vaccinated and getting on with their job as these whiny, petulant toddlers in adult bodies drive off to throw a tantrum in Ottawa.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You're saying a pissy 10% of the population is making a ton of noise and causing poo poo for the other 90%? Sounds annoying af. Luckily it's just truckers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uzoma shed some light on this.

Don't worry people - it's about MANDATES!!! I SWEAR!!

https://twitter.com/DaleManucdoc/status/1486727855409037323

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
That guy seems very cool and stable

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

linoleum floors posted:

That guy seems very cool and stable

Why is the media not reporting on those reasonable true Canadian patriots?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Everything is so dumb

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1486772334635536395?s=21

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
First I thought the issue was all truckers had to be vaxxed to just do their job, like delivering meat from Alberta to BC. That is not the case at all, just mad one needs to be vaxxed coming into Canada from US. Yet you need a vaccine to enter America any per that counties laws.

The convoy now has to do with getting some of that sweet $$$$ GoFundMe dollars. I expect next week when all the donations are refunded, well get more bigbrain conspiracy theories of government controlling this GoFundMe money.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYOA_ciyS6c

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Is this real life anymore? loving Christ.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Of course the rich bastard supports the idiots that want to go back to work during a plague

Fucker knows exactly what he's doing

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Dr. Moore in Ontario is on fire with repeating pro-covid slogans lately:

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1486797513042583552

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

enki42 posted:

Dr. Moore in Ontario is on fire with repeating pro-covid slogans lately:

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1486797513042583552

The challenge is out, lets see which province can out-stupid us this time.

Also Im loving how quickly right the right wing morons on twitter keep growing the numbers of trucks/people with every retweet for this stupid convoy. Last one I saw before it destroyed what little faith I had left in humanity was saying over 100k trucks and 2 million people.

I dont think Canada even has 2 million unvaccinated people or 100k transport truck drivers.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The challenge is out, lets see which province can out-stupid us this time.

Also Im loving how quickly right the right wing morons on twitter keep growing the numbers of trucks/people with every retweet for this stupid convoy. Last one I saw before it destroyed what little faith I had left in humanity was saying over 100k trucks and 2 million people.

I dont think Canada even has 2 million unvaccinated people or 100k transport truck drivers.

https://twitter.com/CariKelemen/status/1486712492327800844

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

At least they're committing fewer sexual assaults than the Canadian military?