Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Calumanjaro posted:

I think the US also has the issue that a sizable number of Republicans are anti-vaccination specifically because Democrats are pro-vaccine.

very true, there’s plenty of chud coverage here but it just doesn’t approach the level in the us. and here when the conservatives post something really egregious a lot of even conservative voters seem to feel pretty embarrassed about it, while the word “shame” doesn’t exist in the goppers’ big book of words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There was a video recently about the history of antivaxx (primarily concentrating on the assfucks that kicked it off, and the complicit media circus around it) and there's basically two elements to vaccine hesitation. You're always going to have people who are antivaxx, whether just in rhetoric or actually in practice. This number grew way larger than before after bullshit former doctor Wakefield completely made poo poo up. Some of this is due to genuine legitimate distrust of the government/corporation that goes back to how a person or their cultural group has a history of mistreatment. You can't really fight this very well as long as governments aren't actually interested in reparations.

The other factor are people who are hesitant for whatever reason. Usually it's just osmosis of antivaxx beliefs through society. It's kind of the typical behavior with people hedging their bets. People who don't obsessively believe in superstitions but still try to avoid things that may bring them bad luck if it's not too inconvenient. They fall to peer pressure and in Canada we're definitely going to see some of that peer pressure coming from how a lot of people in the US have their second dose already.

Wakefield's bullshit plunged the UK rate of vaccination temporarily before it recovered in the aftermath of Wakefield being exposed as a complete scam who wanted to make money. Unfortunately the fucker went to the US and peddled his poo poo there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alongside his bone marrow buddy who cured all diseases using his bone marrow

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Argas posted:

There was a video recently about the history of antivaxx (primarily concentrating on the assfucks that kicked it off, and the complicit media circus around it) and there's basically two elements to vaccine hesitation. You're always going to have people who are antivaxx, whether just in rhetoric or actually in practice. This number grew way larger than before after bullshit former doctor Wakefield completely made poo poo up. Some of this is due to genuine legitimate distrust of the government/corporation that goes back to how a person or their cultural group has a history of mistreatment. You can't really fight this very well as long as governments aren't actually interested in reparations.

The other factor are people who are hesitant for whatever reason. Usually it's just osmosis of antivaxx beliefs through society. It's kind of the typical behavior with people hedging their bets. People who don't obsessively believe in superstitions but still try to avoid things that may bring them bad luck if it's not too inconvenient. They fall to peer pressure and in Canada we're definitely going to see some of that peer pressure coming from how a lot of people in the US have their second dose already.

Wakefield's bullshit plunged the UK rate of vaccination temporarily before it recovered in the aftermath of Wakefield being exposed as a complete scam who wanted to make money. Unfortunately the fucker went to the US and peddled his poo poo there.

he should really be in prison.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mediaphage posted:

he should really be in prison.

Yeah, he committed fraud and child abuse, I don't understand how charges were never filed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, he committed fraud and child abuse, I don't understand how charges were never filed.

on top of this the general public health costs are probably in the several hundred million at this point worldwide if not billions (to say nothing of lives lost)

if you’re not going to jail him sanction the motherfucker and subject him to restitution for the rest of his life

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Death bed denials, pandemic 'hoax' accusations common in southern Manitoba hospital patients, doctor says

Majority of COVID-19 patients at Boundary Trails Health Centre unvaccinated

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winkler-doctor-hospital-vaccine-hesitancy-1.6044904

cbc posted:

Staff at Boundary Trails Health Centre are routinely hearing from sick and unvaccinated patients who believe the pandemic is a hoax — some remaining defiant even on the brink of death.

"We hear this almost every day, and I know that's startling," said Dr. Ganesan Abbu. "It's difficult ... to know that almost 100 per cent of our admissions have not been vaccinated."

Abbu is an anesthetist and special care unit doctor at Boundary Trails, located over 100 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg and between Morden and Winkler.

The district surrounding the two small cities has the lowest vaccination rate in the province, according to provincial data.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The southern MB bible belt sucks so so bad and I feel sorry for anyone who's stuck there. Everyone I know from there describes it as escaping as soon as they were able to.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Imo canada sucks

e: add to OP please

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 29, 2021

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

A Chicago friend was saying his insurance company sent him a bill for the free vaccine administered by a NG member. I suspect fear of medical bills plays a large part.

(He told them to pound sand.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

A Chicago friend was saying his insurance company sent him a bill for the free vaccine administered by a NG member. I suspect fear of medical bills plays a large part.

(He told them to pound sand.)

The hospital tried to charge me for my private rooms recently.

The problem was that those private rooms were 1) the ICU where I was on a ventilator with COVID and 2) the quarantine room I was placed in for the rest of my stay.

I called them up and they were like "yeah, you didn't actually get to choose those, but if you had insurance we'd bill it anyway"

loving mess, even up here.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/here-s-why-it-s-so-hard-to-get-a-campsite-in-ontario-parks-1.5366507

The government said the reselling of permits is out of their hands.

“These operators and individuals are not associated with Ontario Parks. The reassignment of reservations by outside operators or individuals is permitted under provincial park legislation," its spokesperson said. "The park permit must be modified to reflect the new reservation holder."

It seems trivially simple to enforce that the buyer of a park reservation must be the one checking in and to criminalize reselling but I guess that's too complex for this government.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Arivia posted:

The hospital tried to charge me for my private rooms recently.

The problem was that those private rooms were 1) the ICU where I was on a ventilator with COVID and 2) the quarantine room I was placed in for the rest of my stay.

I called them up and they were like "yeah, you didn't actually get to choose those, but if you had insurance we'd bill it anyway"

loving mess, even up here.

Yes this happens to me everytime. Because I have insurance they bill it for the full coverage but don't charge me anything. I don't have a say in it and it doesn't really affect me in any way but it always seems shady as hell.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

The southern MB bible belt sucks so so bad and I feel sorry for anyone who's stuck there. Everyone I know from there describes it as escaping as soon as they were able to.

Yeah I'm here because of a work contract for a year and am counting down the days to leave.

This weekend I had to drive through Steinbach and its like there is no shutdown at all. Malls open, parking lots full.

My apartment neighbours are always having parties. I can see multiple backyard BBQ events from my window.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well hooray hooray, I got my first shot. I'm honestly shocked. As a millennial essential worker I sort of assumed I wouldn't have it until, you know, October or something. They've got the clinic set up in the basement of Jackson Square in the bowels of Copps Colosseum and it's very quick. I'm quite impressed!

Oh my God I have full bars on my phone even though I'm in the basement of the mall, my crazy Qultist co-worker was right!!

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

Well hooray hooray, I got my first shot. I'm honestly shocked. As a millennial essential worker I sort of assumed I wouldn't have it until, you know, October or something. They've got the clinic set up in the basement of Jackson Square in the bowels of Copps Colosseum and it's very quick. I'm quite impressed!

Oh my God I have full bars on my phone even though I'm in the basement of the mall, my crazy Qultist co-worker was right!!

Congrats first covid shot buddy! I had my shot today at Canada Place in Vancouver. I could have gotten it earlier, but I wanted the drama of doing it with hundreds of other people.

Super well organized and easy. Felt like I was in the ending of a pandemic movie.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

mila kunis posted:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/here-s-why-it-s-so-hard-to-get-a-campsite-in-ontario-parks-1.5366507

The government said the reselling of permits is out of their hands.

“These operators and individuals are not associated with Ontario Parks. The reassignment of reservations by outside operators or individuals is permitted under provincial park legislation," its spokesperson said. "The park permit must be modified to reflect the new reservation holder."

It seems trivially simple to enforce that the buyer of a park reservation must be the one checking in and to criminalize reselling but I guess that's too complex for this government.

Problem is it takes a real law to have power, the Provincial government can't make up a law without going through the legislature or the regulations.

If there was a weasel word, such that someone can make a regulation like the Premier or the Minister of Parks/outdoor whatever then they can do something. But if there is no law saying you can't, well you're stuck with no enforcement power, until the Legislature passes a law either forbidding resale of permits or empowers a Minister to make regulations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ontario needs a working scalping law and the stones to actually enforce it

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 30, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ontario government is tapping the medical officer of health for Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington as the province’s next top doctor.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/kingston...urces-1.5448453

Thank gently caress they're ditching David Williams and his incomprehensible speech.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Ontario government is tapping the medical officer of health for Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington as the province’s next top doctor.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/kingston...urces-1.5448453

Thank gently caress they're ditching David Williams and his incomprehensible speech.

He’s retiring, iirc it was a long time in the making and then the covid happened

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

abuse culture. posted:

He’s retiring, iirc it was a long time in the making and then the covid happened

True but this is cause for me personally to celebrate. I lose brain cells every time I have to record this moron's news conferences.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ontario’s new top doctor recommends that good, useful work underground in mines the safest place for children

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Just got my first shot on Saturday. My arm aches a lot but man am I happy to at least have the first dose in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beelzebufo posted:

Just got my first shot on Saturday. My arm aches a lot but man am I happy to at least have the first dose in.

I'm coming up on three weeks since my first shot. Got sweats and chills and felt achy and fatigued the day after and couldn't really do poo poo all till the next morning, but that's nothing compared to the peace of mind it's brought me. Now waiting on shot #2.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yes, seems I lucked out. I got my first Pfizer a few weeks ago at Costco and all I had was less than a day of slight arm soreness.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Same. Got Pfizer this past Wednesday and had a sore upper arm that day and the day after, but no other side effects.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i had what i'd generally call fatigue, but little else

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I was pretty fatigued for a few days but I don’t know if I can attribute that to the shot, life is pretty fatiguing sometimes.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

First shot didn't do anything but the second sucked, the next 30 hours was like speedrunning a mid-level flu. Crashed hard that evening, recovered about as quickly the next day.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I got my Pfizer shot in late April through a PEI Public Health clinic and have yet to be contacted by PEI Public Health for a second shot. Meanwhile, pharmacies are now giving Moderna shots and immediately booking 2nd shot appointments for about 5 weeks out. It's very likely that people getting their first Moderna shot today will have their second shot before I get mine.

I'm not going to complain too much because at my age the 1st shot is very effective and PEI isn't due to open up for another three weeks, but I do wish that PEI would move ahead with booking 2nd shots so we can stop wondering.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I picked up a Moderna shot the other day since an immediate appointment showed up five minutes from home... Expected usual complete non-event, actually got some pins and needles and numbness in both hands and feet within ten minutes. Blew that off as "I'm sitting in a slightly cold room on a crappy chair" but it didn't go away after walking out and hitting a couple stores and actually got far stronger over the next few hours - the rest of my day ended up a complete write-off.

Google found a) that this is considered a serious adverse affect and supposedly super rare so I put a token effort that afternoon into trying to report mine via nurse line that was steering me towards urgent care/hospital which I resisted on the basis of wasted time so instead an online walk-in doctor. Short version: report didn't happen; and b) people saying that this state lasts for weeks/months in them however I'm pretty confident people for whom it goes away don't spend much time talking about it online... Anyway, it was gone by the time I woke up the next morning.

Not thrilled about it having happened at all since it means the body hit the nervous system in response to immunization for reasons that aren't really understood and makes me a bit leery of second shot (esp. since those reports of "Covid+one" resulting in higher antibody response than "no Covid"+two exist), but hey, I feel fine and otherwise just had the more usual injection site soreness for a couple days so whatever and probably (?) nothing ever comes of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh look the "rational lockdown skeptic" is also a "rational vax skeptic"

Wild, you never see that.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
at least he didnt find a way to work in how rich he is into that post too

definitely expected a line about driving home in a range rover or something equally obnoxious

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, he showed too much of his hand this time.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

RBC posted:

at least he didnt find a way to work in how rich he is into that post too

definitely expected a line about driving home in a range rover or something equally obnoxious

It's just one forums re-reg, what could it cost? A hundred dollars?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wait, the rap sheet says "we fixed the ban I approved for you by mistake". So trivializing residential schools along with a 50+% poo poo post ratio isn't ban-worthy or what?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Wait, the rap sheet says "we fixed the ban I approved for you by mistake". So trivializing residential schools along with a 50+% poo poo post ratio isn't ban-worthy or what?

This

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

50+% poo poo post ratio isn't ban-worthy or what?

Buddy...

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473706394009759744

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

In full context I think it's bad grammer. I think they were saying the probe being erased was the mistake not the ban approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Your guess is as good as mine.

bunnyofdoom posted:

In full context I think it's bad grammer. I think they were saying the probe being erased was the mistake not the ban approval.

No, apparently the approval was the mistake.