Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Thoughts and prayers to all Quebeckers affected by the racism from Muslim women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Maybe if she said "Quebec is filled with bigots notwithstanding the Quebecers who aren't bigots" they would have been okay with her statement.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

has parliament unanimously condemned her yet?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

has parliament unanimously condemned her yet?

Not unanimously yet. Quebec Solidaire wants to meet her first. (that's like 11 people lol)

But yeah, even the Liberals condemned her so...

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Have you seen the way Quebecoise at large treat minorities? Publicizing their behaviour is incredibly rude. Easy to see why they are upset.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

All of this certainly has me rethinking the idea that the Quebec government is the most racist in Canada.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
“We didn’t murder all those indigenous folks just to go down in history as Islamophobes!” ~ Quebec

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Quebec appeasement means election this year!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

COPE 27 posted:

Lmao wtf I assumed people would pay extra to live on a transit line? Oh no, my neighbourhood services are too good! It might attract the poors!

It's got to be an outlier riiiiight???
I'm quite sure that housing becomes more desirable the closer you are to a Skytrain station, at least that's how it was when I was in Vancouver.

I honestly find it hard to believe. Moving is not fun or easy. Someone would have to be obscenely wealthy/privileged to just up and move because of hypothetical crime increases in their area.
I guess at least they've gone to their suburban silo'd hellhole then and left a space for a non-idiot.

mr_big
Aug 8, 2022

Mr. Big is pleased
Why is Quebec booing her? She's right.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

mr_big posted:

Why is Quebec booing her? She's right.

Listen, we cannot have a woman in a hijab serve food in the cafeteria at Saint-Nom-de-Jésus high school, a school where Legault recently made an announcement at Easter during the school's Easter activities with Youppi. We wouldn't want to think the government was endorsing Islam. It is the rest of Canada that is bigoted for thinking we are using secularism as a cudgel to bash minority religions in some fit of hypocrisy.

Edit: https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/education/2022-04-11/des-conditions-inacceptables-dans-les-ecoles-reconnait-francois-legault.php

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 2, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The hits just keep coming for Quebec.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/fred-la-marmotte-dies-1.6734368

quote:

Sudden death of Quebec's Fred la marmotte casts a shadow on Groundhog Day

Val-D'Espoir child took over the job Thursday, predicting 6 more weeks of winter

Fred la marmotte, the province's famous furry oracle in Val-d'Espoir, Que., was found dead overnight Thursday, hours before he was able to predict whether it would be an early or late spring.

The organizer of Thursday's Groundhog Day event in Val-d'Espoir announced the sombre news following some 40 minutes of festivities, including music and dancing.

"In life, the only thing that's certain is that nothing is certain," said a serious Roberto Blondin in front of a crowd of awaiting spectators.

"Well, this year it's true. It's true and it's unfortunate. I announce to you the death of Fred."

Blondin said he found the lifeless animal overnight when he tried to wake him. He said he had "no vital signs" and figures Fred passed away in late fall or early December, during hibernation, at the age of nine years old.

Changing the tone, Blondin said Fred loved children and would have wanted a child to fill in for him Thursday.

With that, a child attending the event, wearing a groundhog hat, was called up to the stage and handed a stuffed toy groundhog. He predicted six more weeks of winter.

There will be a new groundhog next year — Fred Junior — who will be ready to make his prediction in order to continue the tradition, assured Blondin.

Meanwhile, two of Canada's most famous groundhog prognosticators have made conflicting calls about spring's arrival.

Ontario's Wiarton Willie has called for an early spring while Shubenacadie Sam, Nova Scotia's most famous groundhog, apparently saw her shadow this morning as she emerged from a snow-covered enclosure at a wildlife park north of Halifax.

According to folklore, if a groundhog sees its shadow on Groundhog Day, winter will drag on. However, if it doesn't spot its shadow, spring-like weather will soon arrive.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the death of the groundhog means three more years of winter

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Considering it's going to be a high of -25 (-41 with wind) tomorrow in Montréal that sounds about right.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Oxyclean posted:

the death of the groundhog means three more years of winter

Eventually COVID will go away I guess.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lain Iwakura posted:

Eventually COVID will go away I guess.

When the unvaxxed start coming back from the dead

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

PT6A posted:

Did I miss the news and every other doctor on earth died?

Like, seriously, how the gently caress does that interview go?

“Can you describe why you left your last position?”

“Everyone hated me because I was just stunningly incompetent and dishonest, and by the end of it, both sides of the political spectrum were out for my blood.”

“Ah, an incompetent, moderate weasel! Welcome aboard, you’ll fit in wonderfully I think!”

"Hey, one quick question, why was the leading cause of death 'unknown' while you were serving as Alberta's Chief Medical Officer?"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Stanley Pain posted:

When the unvaxxed start coming back from the dead

"When there's no more room in hell..."

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
For those of you curious about the closing of shields in Quebec, Patrick Lagacé’s opinion article from Monday’s La Presse provides a pretty good viewpoint:
Freehand translation by myself.
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/chroniques/2023-01-31/ce-terme-reserve-pour-les-quebecois.php

To summarize, he argues that Canada has always had a certain double standard towards Quebecois and bigotry; he brings up the example of Mordecai Richler who assimilated the PQ with the Nazi party and step fly hated French Canadians while banalizing the antisemitism he experienced from English Canadians.

The crux of Lagacé’s skepticism about Elghawaby:
-She claims that Quebecois are in majority anti-Islam off of a single poll that she interprets incorrectly (she claimed that 88% of Quebecois have a negative view of Islam, when the specific percentage was *supporters of PL-21*)

-Reacting “I’m going to vomit” to a shared article about the fact that Quebecois considered themselves historically ostracized within Canada. (Tweet since deleted)

-Claiming that Quebecois fear the purity of their race being diluted (Her reference for this claim is the Writing of John Ralston Saul, who was writing about western civilization in the 19th century)

Lagacé does not deny the presence Islamophobic personalities in Quebec society, nor islamophobic feelings in the population, and reminds that their intolerance has been denounced by himself and others over the years; however, he questions as to why Islamophobia always is boiled down to a Quebecois issue, as once antisemitism was by Mordecai Richler.

Once it was the sovereignist movement that attracted the scorn of the ROC, and now the state laicity movement is the new focus, to the point of being compared to racist lynchings in Alabama by certain hot take spouters.

While there is definitely an angle of islamophobic thought in some supporters of PL-21, Lagacé (strongly anti PL-21) reminds readers that humanists and philosophers argued for the secularization of the state as well (it should be noted that the recommendations of the Gomery-Taylor report and what the CAQ poo poo out are quite different). Quebec has had a strongly anti clerical bent since the quiet revolution and views as strange and anachronistic that other provinces still have religiously aligned school boards.

Lagacé jokingly brings up in comparison the deceased ultranationalist editor Michel Brûlé, who completely un ironically argued that since English capializes “I” while French leaves “je” in minuscules as a sign that English was a language of supremacy and subjugation, and asks why no one had named him official federal language commissioner.

Lagacé closes his article wondering why the hell no one in Trudeau’s cabinet saw this coming, wondering if anyone in his team understands the wider Quebec beyond the McGill ghetto. He asks that Elghawaby googles the expression “Preaching in the desert” as a preview of how she risks being received in the Quebec after this storm, and finally, reminds readers that PL-21 curiously enjoyed a fairly high level of support when Canadians in other provinces were polled about it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yes it's Muslims who are wrong about racism

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I only support Quebec independence on the condition they are immediately and permanently annexed by Libya or Vietnam.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I feel like there's a pretty big divide between "religion should stay out of government institutions and not be allowed to influence them" and "people should be allowed to practice their religion and wear articles of faith regardless of their role" but I don't want to come across as just another Anglophone assaulting the non-discriminatory laicity of Quebec, who if you think about it, is the real victim here (with the implication being that Anglophones do the same thing so what's the big deal guys?)

StealthArcher posted:

I only support Quebec independence on the condition they are immediately and permanently annexed by Libya or Vietnam.

Why would you do this to Vietnam??

e: not embarrassed to say I had to look up "laicity". Disappointed it is not a term for Haiwaiian urban centers

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 2, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Passes a law that effects mostly people of minority faiths like Muslims and Jews and then wonders

quote:

....why Islamophobia always is boiled down to a Quebecois issue, as once antisemitism was by Mordecai Richler.

I'm sure he will let us know when he figures out the answer. Oh wait, the answer is because Quebec are the true oppressed class here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nine of Eight posted:

Lagacé does not deny the presence Islamophobic personalities in Quebec society, nor islamophobic feelings in the population, and reminds that their intolerance has been denounced by himself and others over the years; however, he questions as to why Islamophobia always is boiled down to a Quebecois issue, as once antisemitism was by Mordecai Richler.

I don't think anyone is denying the existence of Islamophobia in the rest of Canada, but no other province has come up with banger regulations quite like this (that I know of):

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Quebec is marking the sixth anniversary of the mosque shooting by making a Muslim woman apologize for saying the province is racist?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

eXXon posted:

I don't think anyone is denying the existence of Islamophobia in the rest of Canada, but no other province has come up with banger regulations quite like this (that I know of):

I'm sure Quebec is going to enforce the regulation against cross necklaces being a bit too big aaaaaany day now.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I googled ostentatious yarmulkes, because I never even considered those two words in a sentence together before

Pretty much the only hits I got were for that picture of prohibited items, and an Etsy shop selling novelty ones for kids

Which are amazing

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Nine of Eight posted:

Lagacé closes his article wondering why the hell no one in Trudeau’s cabinet saw this coming, wondering if anyone in his team understands the wider Quebec beyond the McGill ghetto. He asks that Elghawaby googles the expression “Preaching in the desert” as a preview of how she risks being received in the Quebec after this storm, and finally, reminds readers that PL-21 curiously enjoyed a fairly high level of support when Canadians in other provinces were polled about it.

I genuinely love Lagacé's work, I really do.

Though I really do wonder why the people of this place think it's okay to prevent a Muslim woman from teaching math in her hijab, in the name of high secularism, but that the public school she teaches be named for the Holy Name of Jesus? I'm all for secularism. I want secularism. What we do in Quebec is not honest about what it's doing until I am not able to get a arrested by an officer endorsing the Holy Saviour of the Mountains on his uniform (or my municipal tax bill). It's obscene that a civil servant in a turban is the problem, and not those other things.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I feel like there's a pretty big divide between "religion should stay out of government institutions and not be allowed to influence them" and "people should be allowed to practice their religion and wear articles of faith regardless of their role"

eXXon posted:

The Gomery-Taylor commission in 2007-2008, formed in response to a media hysteria mostly fomented by the (definitely racist) Quebecor media giant, as well as the ADQ (ancestor of today’s CAQ, originally suggested that a limited ban of religious symbols in government officials with “coercive” powers e.x. judges, prosecutors and law enforcement.

To extend this to education (while ignoring healthcare) is absolute bullshit and a function of the CAQ abusing their majority enabled by the first past the post system. Both these past elections the CAQ got in with roughly 35% of the vote versus a 45% split of parties not the CAQ.

Madkal posted:

I'm sure he will let us know when he figures out the answer. Oh wait, the answer is because Quebec are the true oppressed class here.

I didn’t go into the citations, but the article brought up a Ben Shek, a Jewish Canadian scholar who grew up in Montreal "Those of us who grew up in Toronto," writes Shek, "well remember the covenants barring Jews from buying or renting property." He also notes a double standard where Richler downplays the bigotry of fellow English speakers, which he "never refers to as racist, a term reserved for the Québécois."

Edit; to be clear I don’t want to be doing the apologia of actual Islamophobia and Antisemitism going down in my province, just that a huge amount of Quebecois don’t appreciate being lumped in as “hur durr Quebecois are all racist”

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 3, 2023

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

While there is definitely an angle of islamophobic thought in some supporters of PL-21, Lagacé (strongly anti PL-21) reminds readers that humanists and philosophers argued for the secularization of the state as well (it should be noted that the recommendations of the Gomery-Taylor report and what the CAQ poo poo out are quite different). Quebec has had a strongly anti clerical bent since the quiet revolution and views as strange and anachronistic that other provinces still have religiously aligned school boards.

Don't we only have those because they were constitutionally guaranteed to protect the French Catholic minority in Upper Canada? So we can't get rid of them, because we can't open the Constitution, because of Quebec.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Seems strange that Quebec (under the PQ no less) was able to deconfessionalize their own school boards in the 1990s then, but I’ll confess I need to read up on that.

Edit; looks like Quebec indeed made a constitutional amendment in order to do so.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 3, 2023

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

"When there's no more room in hell..."

A person of culture I see.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nine of Eight posted:

Seems strange that Quebec (under the PQ no less) was able to deconfessionalize their own school boards in the 1990s then, but I’ll confess I need to read up on that.

Edit; looks like Quebec indeed made a constitutional amendment in order to do so.

Wish Ontario would, even though I send my daughter to a Catholic School.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Cat Wings posted:

Don't we only have those because they were constitutionally guaranteed to protect the French Catholic minority in Upper Canada? So we can't get rid of them, because we can't open the Constitution, because of Quebec.

The Ontario catholic school boards are laid out in the Canadian constitution?!?

I've always assumed that it was an Ontario constitution that created them.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Secularism is when you tell brown women how they have to dress

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nine of Eight posted:

All but two catholic schools in my city are also french. You didnt get rid of them, you shipped them all to Ontario. :mad:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nine of Eight posted:

she claimed that 88% of Quebecois have a negative view of Islam, when the specific percentage was *supporters of PL-21*

Do you think this same logic would apply if someone were saying "hey, I didn't say I have a negative view of Judaism. What I said was that I support sending Jews to gas chambers"

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bleck posted:

Do you think this same logic would apply if someone were saying "hey, I didn't say I have a negative view of Judaism. What I said was that I support sending Jews to gas chambers"

Let me explain it to you again.

In a poll of Quebec citizens during the lead up to PL-21, a wildly controversial bill even in Quebec, a certain % of Quebec citizens (I don’t have the original number on hand, and it’s probably depressingly high) were found to be in favour of the bill.
Within this group, 88% were found to have a negative view of Islam (no real shock)

Elghawaby claimed that 88% of *All* Quebecois held a negative view of Islam after misreading the poll.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
You don't need to do racism quantum to know that Quebec is 100% racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nine of Eight posted:

Let me explain it to you again.

In a poll of Quebec citizens during the lead up to PL-21, a wildly controversial bill even in Quebec, a certain % of Quebec citizens (I don’t have the original number on hand, and it’s probably depressingly high) were found to be in favour of the bill.
Within this group, 88% were found to have a negative view of Islam (no real shock)

Elghawaby claimed that 88% of *All* Quebecois held a negative view of Islam after misreading the poll.

Hey, thanks for the explanation. Here's a question; do you think this same logic would apply if someone were saying "hey, I didn't say I have a negative view of Judaism. What I said was that I support sending Jews to gas chambers"