Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

When he switched to provincial politics there were rumours that he had never driven a truck before and kind of hated it but was trying to prove how Albertan he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Every rental application I have ever filled out I put no pets.

Then after moving in I tell the landlord I changed my mind.

Ontario though, ymmv

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

On the one hand I love it when people go on strike on the other hand I love it when cops don't get paid

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Prosecutors are cops

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lmao just fondly remembering when Ontario told cottage owners in the provincial parks to gently caress off no extensions on their 60 year lease

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

EDIT: As regards First Nations home ownership, I have heard that a significant factor is that mortgages are much less available as there are often restrictions on who can own First Nations property - meaning it can't be used as collateral for a mortgage. And while I understand why those restrictions are in place, there's this huge unintended consequence of many First Nations people being shut off from the financial instruments that everyone else uses to afford a home.

This comes from a fever dream of the Harperites to deligitimize First Nation sovereignty and turn them into municipalities.

Not that there isn't a severe housing crisis on reserves or that the current system is good, but allowing colonial institutions to have liens on FN properties would guarantee immediate balkanization and wouldn't solve the underlying problem of inadequate funding, which would end up being worse after servicing the costs of the one time capital injection.

Anecdotally, my native friends' families growing up were completely opposed to individual ownership, despite the serious hardships they experienced.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

Except I can smoke (I don't smoke inside, but I could), I can have pets, and they can't enter my condo if I tell them to gently caress off.

So really it's completely different.

Not only was I not allowed to smoke in my condo, I wasn't allowed to smoke on my balcony or in my parking lot.

Also they banned weed when it became legal lol.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Aside from eventually having equity in your unit condos are basically all of the risk of home ownership combined with all the rewards of living in an apartment building while co owning a giant complex building along with a bunch of strangers. If you don't immediately see why this is a terrible idea then please tell me what you're smoking.

Also you can randomly get charged $50,000 with no warning

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

eXXon posted:

Personally I think managers contribute valuable labour, and CEOs should be able to unionize and negotiate a fair wage of salary and stock options up to an including the median for their employees.

There is a union in my local transit system for supservisors/managers, only the ones directly appointed by the city aren't covered afaik. Lots of managers are exploted and managerial labour is absoloutely still labour.

Oxyclean posted:

When the public transit of my city went on strike and hosed over countless people (namely lower income folks), did that devalue the meaning of a strike?

When my public transit went on strike and I didn't own a car I had to walk 5km to work in the winter every day. But I supported the bus drivers because the city could have ended the strike by agreeing to stop exploiting their employees but they chose not to.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If they are really homeless why don't they rent an apartment

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's gonna be great living in Hong Kong sleeping pods in the second largest country in the world

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

linoleum floors posted:

I think it's Ottawa

lmao

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Speaking only about Ottawa here, but our city council have gone in with both feet on the urban sprawl ponzi scheme: Take money from developers to build SFHs further out, at a density too low to pay for their own infrastructure, with infrastructure too frail to allow high-rise infill, and make up the shortfall by taking money from developers to build more SFHs even further out than that.

Well the thing is you get the permit money now and you only have to pay for the infrastructure for the next 100 years so

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Click if you dare to enter the sad zone

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I love how Ottawa is freaking out that 95% of our transit trips will no longer be squished into 2 hours a day over like 5 sq km as if that's a bad thing.

Oh no maybe we will have to schedule trips at regular intervals throughout the day instead of having busses move at 0.1km/h at 7am and 3pm

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hell yeah I lived in north York and would always take the subway downtown if I was going somewhere close to the subway line.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lol. Barrie's nice but everyone living there works in Toronto.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I mean my work locations were Hamilton, St Catherines, Peterborough, Newmarket, SSM, Thunder Bay, etc. Barrie was always one of my favourite stops.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Why don't they just take out the colonization parts and put in not colonization things instead

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I got into a yelling match with a cop during the protests when he stopped me from jaywalking in the red zone trying to access my business

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Unfortunately we have seen that body cams still do poo poo to protect people. Cameras magically turning off, breaking, or going missing happening at such a high rate in cases of excessive force is a separate real problem.

Personally I think tampering with the camera should be an automatic admission of guilt but our resident lawyer would have to probably explain to me in baby terms why that isnt possible. :smith:

The number of times cops have said "I turned off the cameras now lets falsify some evidence" on camera is > 0 so I don't know how you could ever believe a cop and I would vote to acquit 100% of the time it was only a cops word

Also the forensic labs constantly falsify evidence so that doesn't count either

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Well proscutors have a 99% convict rate against regular people and 1% win rate against cops so maybe that's not the problem

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Legault doesn't give a gently caress about the French language or integration. I agree that French needs to be protected but this is just going to create more barriers and more ghettoization.

Anecdotally I've been trying to take French lessons but I haven't managed to get a call back from anyone in the last 3 months lol.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They not only don't care about, but actively disdain franco-ontariens.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's theoretically free in Quebec but the school and the community centre can't agree where I am supposed to go since I am neither an immigrant nor a registered Anglophone.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Horwath is somehow able to get less earned media than Jagmeet Singh

Kind of impressive actually.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Doug Ford would wipe the field if he wanted to be PM

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

sinburger posted:

I'm in the "why not both?" camp. The money is there, it's an allocation issue.

1 billion for musuem and 1 billion for cops!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Quit judging people who bought houses at the peak of the real estate market and overpaid

Lol I will never stop judging them

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

At least he didn't go to Baton Rouge

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

We should really shut the gently caress up about other countries until we can go 1 year without another mass grave

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

We should pass a law that RCMP can't hide in the bushes while civilians are being slaughtered.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Liberals are so astonishingly bad at governing don't believe a word they say. Not because they are lying but because they will gently caress it up somehow.

Remember when they hosed up letting stranded BC residents buy groceries in USA, and then spent the weekend having twitter fights about it instead of actually issuing a ministerial order to CBSA?

Stanley Pain posted:

When can we get a party in power that is left of the NDP? Dig me up from my grave when we do.

Lmao

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 31, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cons will never do anything material for unions, but then again neither will libs so pretending not to despise them is a pretty good strategy. I'm actually terrified that it will work.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's less good than it could be bit it does at least force expectations to be explicit, which helps cut down on abuse ime - similar to requiring every business to have a harassment policy, safety training, accessibility policy, privacy policy, etc.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My black friends allege that racism from Ottawa police is way worse than US cops. Like obviously less likely to be shot but way more likely to be illegally searched, followed, frisked, harassed etc.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The articles in my feed were too full of whining albertans to really report what the new regulations actually are. Are we labelling ultraprocessed crap too or just meat?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If we acknowledge airborne spread which we knew about by April 2020 or so we would have to upgrade building ventilation instead of pretending to sanitize door knobs.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Weird that cops go full Heat mode for a bank robbery but just kinda hide in the bushes for the largest massacre in Canadian history.