Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I know a guy who has started a pro-UBI lobbying group and now he's also starting a Land Value Tax lobbying group. He keeps going on and on about how beneficial a LVT would be. However, I'm very skeptical because his pro-UBI arguments are essentially "corporations can pay people less since UBI will make up the difference, the savings will be passed onto the consumer" and "taxes will go down since governments can eliminate various social programs since UBI will allow people to pay for the services themselves".

Does anyone have any recommended readings or studies on LVT? It doesn't see to be widely implemented so I'm guessing there are some drawbacks that I'm not seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A bit of a late follow up, but thanks for the replies about LVT. It seems like the general consensus is that it's fine as an additional source of revenue and it might help moderate housing costs but it's a dumb idea to use it to replace other sources of revenue.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm wondering what the numbers will look like in a month. I've gone to downtown Toronto a few nights this past week and there are no masks and no social distancing going on at any of the bars or restaurants. Yes, they're patio only but the patios are packed. I completely understand that everyone is excited to get back out but with second doses only starting to happen and the delta variant out in the wild I'm wondering if we'll see an uptick in cases.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think it's because Pfizer was getting all the news coverage early on since that's the vaccine we were getting more of. I just remember hearing about Pfizer and Moderna barely being mentioned.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-skilled-trades-enforcement-doug-ford-college-1.6109825

quote:

Ontario stopped enforcing credentials in skilled trades, right after Doug Ford took power

Provincial inspectors aren’t checking if mechanics, electricians, other skilled tradespeople are certified

For three years running, Ontario has not enforced its rules requiring tradespeople — such as electricians, auto mechanics and plumbers — to be certified, CBC News has learned.

Enforcement of Ontario's compulsory certification of licensed trades ground to a halt right after Premier Doug Ford's government took office.

It means that since the middle of 2018, there has been no provincial oversight of whether the people working in Ontario's licensed trades actually have the credentials to do the work.

"It's like having an environmental act with no enforcement," said Patrick Dillon, business manager of the Provincial Building and Construction Trades Council, a grouping of labour unions.

"You can't have a trades qualification act and compulsory licensed trades and not have enforcement," said Dillon in an interview.

The lack of enforcement affects not just tradespeople, but also potentially anyone who hires an electrician, a plumber or a mechanic.

"You as a consumer pay a premium dollar to have your car serviced," said Lou Trottier, owner of All About Imports, an auto service garage in Mississauga, Ont. "If you find out it was done by an unqualified, unlicensed person, it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth, doesn't it?"

The mandate to enforce the province's skilled trades certification rules lies with the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT), an agency created in 2009.

Ford made a campaign promise to scrap the college, describing it as burdensome red tape for businesses. His government passed legislation in the fall of 2018 to begin winding it down.

However, OCOT still exists and was supposed to continue carrying out its core duties, including enforcing credentials in the trades where licensing is compulsory.

Ontario requires certification in 23 licensed trades, including electricians, plumbers, crane operators, refrigeration technicians, hairstylists and a whole range of automotive work, such as brakes, transmission and auto body repair.

It's illegal to practice any of those trades in Ontario without the proper certification. It's also illegal for an employer to hire someone who isn't authorized to perform the work of those trades.

"One of the main responsibilities of the college is to ensure that individuals performing the skills of compulsory trades have the training and certification required to legally practise this trade in Ontario," says a current statement on the OCOT website.

There is little evidence the agency has carried out that responsibility over the past three years.

College inspectors found more than 4,200 people working without proper authorization in the licensed trades in each of 2015 and 2016, the last full years for which figures are available.

Yet since June 28, 2018, the day before the Ford government was sworn in, there is not a single notice of contravention posted on OCOT's website. There are also zero Provincial Offences Act convictions posted since July 2018.

Before the Ford government was elected, college enforcement officers made thousands of visits annually to construction sites, automotive garages and body shops to validate the credentials of skilled tradespeople.

Government officials admit enforcement stopped, even though the law remained in place.

"Since we formed government, OCOT inspectors have taken an educational role," said Ryan Whealy, acting press secretary for Monte McNaughton, the minister of labour, training and skills development, in a statement.

"We heard loud and clear from workers and management that OCOT, including its enforcement, was deeply politicized and ineffective," said Whealy.

The lack of enforcement over the past three years is a source of frustration for tradespeople who continue to pay their mandatory annual fees to remain licensed in Ontario. The $120 fee was reduced to $60 in 2019.

Dillon characterizes it as a sort of legalized theft. "When you're paying for something and you're not getting it, that is just a breach of the contract," he said.

He acknowledges there may have previously been problems with enforcement, but argues that those problems "should have been fixed rather than blowing up the college."

Trottier said the lack of enforcement irritates him. "I play by the rules. I'm a stickler for rules. And I would love everybody to be forced to play by the rules as well," he said.

The Ford government recently announced the Ontario College of Trades will be replaced effective Jan. 1, 2022 with a new Crown agency called Skilled Trades Ontario.

The legislation for the new agency shows that certification will remain mandatory in the designated trades, and McNaughton promises it will be enforced.

"As we move forward this summer, we'll ensure that the compliance and enforcement regulations are worked through," McNaughton told CBC News on Tuesday.

"I can assure everyone out there working in the trades that we'll ensure that enforcement is present on job sites."

A panel commissioned by the Ontario government is recommending the new agency focus on training and certification in the trades, and the responsibility for enforcement go to the Ministry of Labour's occupational health and safety inspectorate.

Trottier questions whether the college's enforcement of compulsory certification in the auto service sector was ever effective. "I think if you ask the average technician what the Ontario College of Trades actually does for them, they'll shake their heads and go, 'I have no idea.'"

Despite his sense that the lack of enforcement in the past three years was unfair, Trottier doesn't believe it harmed his business.

"All around me, there are businesses that use unqualified staff," Trottier said. "I would love if the Ontario College of Trades would go in there and correct that. But at the end of the day, it doesn't necessarily impact me that much, because I only use staff who meet what my customers expect."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

But The Sun says he’s a strong contender!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

Did they say what he was in contention for?
:hmmyes: Fair question.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Randalor posted:

I mean, technically couldn't the GG veto everything (or just refuse to rubberstamp anything) until the Canadian government at least starts upholding their end of the treaties and agreements?
In Canada the GG isn’t need led to give Royal assent. If they are unable to give assent, the deputy GG (Chief Justice of the Supreme Court) or any of the other Supreme Court justices could.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The only thing I can think of is that he’s trying to appease some big donors who are anti-maskers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PT6A posted:

Right, but, like: the masks are all but gone already. Removing them from public transit seems like a lovely idea, but even that's not the worst. Why reduce testing and remove isolation requirements? That's not about protecting anyone's freedom. Who's begging to go out when they've tested positive with a serious illness? What the actual gently caress is wrong with these loving imbeciles? It doesn't even make sense from an anti-masker anti-vaxx perspective, that's what makes it so odd.
They might be the “COVID is a hoax!” type who see even the slightest possible public health measures as some sort of personal insult. Maybe they’re big enough that they threatened to fund a “People’s Party of Alberta” or get Kenney turfed.

I agree that the announcement makes no sense. The loss of donor funding is the only “rational” explanation I could come up with.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

When I've been driving around in downtown Toronto in the evening, the patios and sidewalks are packed with no distancing and almost no one is wearing a mask. I'd say maybe 25% of servers are wearing masks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Another Bill posted:

Fwiw I've been to a bunch of patios over the last month and i have yet to see a single unmasked server.
My sample is limited to Queen St E in Leslieville, but yeah, I’m surprised at how many unmasked servers I see on the patios.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

NZAmoeba posted:

He deleted it, what was it?

quote:

And then Andrea H decides to show up. I just wrote to the party and told them they better push her to walk back her vaccination comments because the libs will drive a truck over our party for such idiocy.

Also, The Globe & Mail has suddenly decided that snap elections are bad and the GG should enforce the law preventing them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Oh, his personal account is still active.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ZeeBoi posted:

Another member of the resistance is gone
lol I forgot about that

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ontario says they won't be participating in any vaccine passport system because people might create fake ones and that would make the system pointless.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Early on in the pandemic I remember CNN, CBC, etc. talking about how mRNA vaccines were brand new and had never been in widespread use so it's easy to see how people misunderstood this and/or took it out of context.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hamelekim posted:

That was always going to happen. It also isn’t a reason to occupy a country even if it’s terrible.
What are the odds that they're saving Kabul for a September 11th victory?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Starks posted:

They also had members that had previously helped exterminate Jewish people. They killed women and children and were found guilty of numerous war crimes during the Nuremberg trials. Im not sure what it means that they “rejected” nazism. Because they didn’t fight westerners?
Someone once unironically explained to me that they rejected Nazism because they disagreed with the Nazis' position on Slavs being sub-humans and that's why calling them Nazis was wrong. Yes, they killed a lot of Slavs but that was just payback for "historical wrongs".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thankfully this tweet cleared it all up.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It means they’re all in Canada now
Growing up, one of my neighbors were an old Ukrainian couple. No one in the neighbourhood was too fond of them and I never understood why. When I was older my parents told me that the old man would always tell everyone that he was a member of the SS-Galicia and how he fought Communists and would complain that he got no respect or recognition for it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

There is always a slight chance that when someone says they fled persecution in Ukraine, they were being persecuted for having been a Nazi collaborator. So while technically true, perhaps not the most sympathetic case.

Then there are some who will proudly tell you they fought for the Nazis.
When I was a kid, one of my friend’s parents were from Romania. His dad hated Communists and I figured it was due to the political situation back home. It turns out his paternal grandfather was executed by the Communists after the war. His dad said it was because “he fought the Communists”. When I told my parents they said “think about who else fought the Communists in WW2. They killed him because he was a Nazi.”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

So yesterday Trudeau said that Canada was prepared to stay past the August deadline to pull people out of Afghanistan. This morning the CAF said "yeah the last plane is leaving this afternoon."

Lovely.
Yes but there are CF members staying behind to "help support allies". So while the Canadian evacuation process has ended, it is possible that CF members will still be on the ground in Afghanistan after August 31 to assist in other evacuations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

I still don't like any of this. We're leaving people behind because we left this to the last minute and now we're reliant on the possibility that a few more people can get out rather than a certainty that could be afforded by a well planned evacuation.
Oh I agree. The whole situation is horrible and all the countries that were involved with Afghanistan messed this up.

Cocaine Bear posted:

"we will balance the budget! in 10 years time when all of us are out of politics and on the boards of private firms"
And we won't be raising taxes or creating any new ones. How are we going to balance the budget without new taxes? ;)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve seen this photo posted several times on social media today. Apparently it’s from a music festival in Calgary that took place this weekend.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pleads posted:

Pretty sure that's Chasing Summer, an EDM festival they hosted downtown this weekend.
Yeah, I’ve seen some more photos and it’s labelled as being from Chasing Summer - Family Reunion 2021.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ZeeBoi posted:

Someone in my building has handwritten signs on her window. GOOGLE PPC!!!!
It would be funny if this was the late 90s - early 00s and “PPC” just returned tons of links about Power Macintoshes.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 4, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

O'Toole flipped his message today on the firearms ban. Now he wants to keep the liberal status quo.

Blood Boils posted:

lmao that's gonna cost him some single issue voters i know

Good!

I wonder how many voters will move to the PPC because of this.

Edit - I just checked out some gun forums and sure enough, several of them have a “PPC position on gun control” thread stuck at the top of the forums. It looks like several of them were posted today.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's a local restaurant because there's one close to your home. :)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Liberal signs in my neighbourhood (west end of Toronto) keep getting vandalized too. Knocked over, cut up, and today a bunch of them had “liberal = cucks” and “liberal = communist” written on them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

It would seem that all of Québec's systemic racism is still being stored in the balls of Yves-François "The Splits" Blanchet:

He’s breathing deeply to focus before the debate.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pleads posted:

It's loving wild to me that the conservative premieres across the country are underwater on every loving poll for their poo poo policies and overt hatred of their own constituents and they represent the past, present, and future of the federal conservative party and yet somehow this election is 'close'.

It's all so loving stupid and I'm so very tired of everything sucking.
”Trudeau is too woke/too much of a SJW.” Is what a lot of Conservative voters are telling me. NDP and Liberal voters generally give me some vague policy (real or imagined) reason why they’re voting for their party. However, a lot of Conservative voters seem to be driven by anger at Trudeau for a reason they can’t really elaborate on.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah pretty much. They were calling it back in 2015 but it’s really weird to see it in person. There’s plenty to criticize him on but they best most of them seem to do is just a general deep seated anger towards him.

Yinlock posted:

They largely agree with the actual bad things Trudeau has done so they have to make up an imaginary version that's a diehard stalinist
Yeah I think it’s this.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Madkal posted:

If Canada really is constantly 4 years behind the state's then we are finally entering the stage of politics where the right enters Trumpian spite ie voting against someone out of spite moreso than for someone. See also: doing stupid things to own the libs, hating any left leaning policy that benefits you etc.
Yup, a lot of the Conservative voters told me their voting for the Cons to “punish Trudeau”. None of them said their vote was because of something they liked on the CPC platform; it’s all voting to spite Trudeau.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flakeloaf posted:

Sears had everything they needed to become Canadian Amazon and get bought out by Bezos for a fucktillion dollars, and they blew it.
I worked for Sears for a few years in the early 2000s. Someone had actually put forth a proposal to the board of the US parent company and the board of the Canadian company suggesting to start selling stuff online. The presentation point out that Sears had it's own credit card, already had customers used to buying stuff from images in a catalogue, and had the warehouse and distribution network setup for catalogue deliveries. All that was needed was to set up the website and the ecommerce platform. The estimated cost for setting it up and running it for a two year trial was US$750,000. The board rejected the proposal for being too risky and too expensive for potentially little to no benefit.

I know the people involved in UBI Works. It's mainly small business owners who have told me that UBI is great because it means they can reduce benefits and salaries because UBI will cover the difference. It also means that many social programs can be eliminated since "people will now have money to pay for these services".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Lever says the election will most likely be decided by strategic voting.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/turnout-strategic-voting-likely-to-decide-election-as-grits-tories-tied-pollster

quote:

Turnout, strategic voting likely to decide election as Grits, Tories tied: pollster

OTTAWA — The 2021 federal election is likely going to be decided by turnout and strategic voting, Leger executive vice-president Christian Bourque says as his firm’s latest poll results show the leading two parties in a dead heat.

The poll suggests the Liberals and Conservatives both have the support of 32 per cent of decided voters. The NDP are in third with 20 per cent.

But about one-fifth of those surveyed in the online poll conducted in collaboration with The Canadian Press said if the race was tight between the two front-runners, it could likely convince them to switch their vote to the Liberals. About one in 10 said they might switch to the Conservatives.

Almost one in three voters who said they plan to vote NDP also said a close race could convince them to vote Liberal instead, and a similar number of people who plan to vote for the People’s Party of Canada said they might switch to the Conservatives.

Bourque said the race is so tight in part because no one party or leader is generating energy or excitement.

“There is a little bit of a blah feeling, a little bit, right now,” he said.

The Conservatives had some momentum in the middle of the campaign, and a similar poll taken two weeks ago showed them with 34 per cent, the Liberals at 30 per cent and the NDP at 24 per cent.

The polls cannot be given a margin of error because internet-based polls are not considered random samples.

The latest poll was taken between Sept. 10 and Sept. 13, the four days following the two nationally televised leaders’ debates, where the biggest punch came not from any of the leaders but from a moderator’s question about what she called Quebec’s “discriminatory” secularism law.

In Quebec, the Liberals are holding steady with support of 34 per cent of decided voters polled by Leger, compared with 30 per cent for the Bloc Quebecois, 19 per cent for the Conservatives and 10 per cent for the NDP.

Bourque said following the debates, the Bloc Quebecois regained some traction but the Conservatives, who won 10 seats in Quebec two years ago, are falling below where they want to be to increase their seat count there.

“If the Tories are below 20 per cent in Quebec, they cannot mathematically gain new seats,” said Bourque.

In Ontario, where the critical “905” region that includes Toronto’s populous suburbs will help determine the final outcome, the Liberals hold a very slight lead over the Conservatives, at 36 and 34 per cent respectively. In British Columbia, the Conservatives enjoy a slight lead over the Liberals, with the NDP only a few points back.

Bourque said the poll numbers for the NDP in B.C. would likely allow them to hold their seats there but in Ontario, where they’re at 22 per cent in the Leger poll, things could start to get dicey.

“At 22, the potential for not making gains in Ontario and maybe losing some is very close,” said Bourque. “So I think that’s the one they need to watch right now.”

The poll suggests the momentum the Conservatives had in the early weeks of this campaign has sputtered, and the Liberals are starting to mount a slow comeback.

The biggest drag on the Liberals, according to Leger, is Justin Trudeau himself. One-third of those polled said his leadership was making them hesitant about voting Liberal, while a similar number said his ethics are giving them pause.

For Erin O’Toole, more than one in five voters polled cited social issues like abortion as the main reason they’re hesitant to vote Conservative, with almost as many also naming his policies on climate change and vaccines as a deciding factor.

Gun control was named by about one in six people as a reason they’re hesitant to vote Conservative, but in a world where strategic voting matters, O’Toole’s evolving position on gun control may make it harder to lure voters back from the People’s Party of Canada. More than half of decided PPC voters said gun control policy was making them hesitant about voting Conservative.

Bourque said in addition to strategic voting, turnout could be a factor. He said most often low turnout favours the incumbent, because when voters really want change, turnout tends to go up.

Two-thirds of voters either plan to or already have voted by mail or at an advanced poll.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Even though the CPC polling tweet was deleted, something seems to be going on. This is the second day of The Sun putting out a “please don’t vote for Trudeau” issue.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Sun seems to be giving a wink to conspiracy fans and the PPC crowd with the article title today "If Trudeau pulls off a win, expect a bigger push to 'reset' Canada".

It's referencing "The Great Reset" conspiracy but there's nothing in the article about that. It's just a few paragraphs saying that Trudeau has a huge ego and wants to remake Canada in his image. The last few lines say that if Trudeau has some sort of centrally planning in mind and will implement it if he wins.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think everyone is expecting Freedland to take the reins if that happens
I assumed the Liberal executive had him call this election as an excuse to put Freedland in charge.

Judging by all the survey calls I got in the months leading up to the election, the executive knew what the electorate thought of Trudeau.

If he loses, Freedland is put in charge right away. If it’s a minority, he’ll step down shortly afterwards saying something about how the party should have a new leader. If it’s a majority, he’ll step down after about 2 years so there can be a convention and Freedland can be party leader for at least a year before the next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Even if people are paying attention, most people vote for the brand.

I heard the election clip trailer on several Bell Media owned radio stations today and they all talked about “voting for who you want to be Prime Minster”.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 20, 2021