Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Random new thread for some reason? Okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sassafras posted:

As an experiment, I spent a bit after one of my probations reporting all the replies to me that actually violate the rules and more or less got told if I can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. I can, so whatever, but I think it's rather suspect to let people who post exclusively "gently caress you man" noise go to town - sets a really bad example that seems to be emulated.

You guys are welcome to try reporting some of their posts though!

Get hosed James Baud, you’ve always been a lovely white noise poster and you’ve only become worse since the beginning of the pandemic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

A Chicago friend was saying his insurance company sent him a bill for the free vaccine administered by a NG member. I suspect fear of medical bills plays a large part.

(He told them to pound sand.)

The hospital tried to charge me for my private rooms recently.

The problem was that those private rooms were 1) the ICU where I was on a ventilator with COVID and 2) the quarantine room I was placed in for the rest of my stay.

I called them up and they were like "yeah, you didn't actually get to choose those, but if you had insurance we'd bill it anyway"

loving mess, even up here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

NDA's have expiry dates

this nda will expire in 100,000 hours

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drunk Canuck posted:

Speaking of Oka!

https://twitter.com/CAFinUS/status/1399441640625000454

What in the gently caress is wrong with this psycho in charge of this posting.

whatever it is, it's gone now

TAKE PICTURES OF TWEETS YOU'RE MOCKING

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alctel posted:

Also speaking of the CFL, if you have enough time to read 40,000 words of just.... I don't even know, here is an, uh, essay about Tebows record-breaking stint in the CFL. I'm not going to spoil it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

Don't read it on mobile, it has a lot of animations on that will only really work on a screen

This is the immortal Jon Bois' first masterpiece.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Are you truly a Cfl fan if you've never been drenched by the open gutters of Ivor Wynne stadium?

that was pretty much the moment I realized, no, I'm not a CFL fan

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Calumanjaro posted:

I wonder what the rules are for closing CBC comments, I have a few guesses:

i) An indigenous issue or person is mentioned in the article.
ii) Article is about a woman under the age of 18.
iii) Issue affecting racial minorities.
iv) Issue affecting LGBT.
v) Article about the police.

I also wonder if there was a memo sent that's like "Close comment section on the following types of articles:"

To give the CBC a little credit, they proactively don't even open comments for most articles like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Every day this province becomes more and more depressing

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1400169820251987968?s=20

don't worry, manitoba is perfectly fine and we don't need to change our public health approach at all

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

I'd suggest that if you want to scream into the void about staving peoples' heads in with a bat, do it in CSPAM or something. No one's going to jerk you off about what a badass you are "in Minecraft"

look, i killed the ender dragon in minecraft i am badass

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

What actually happened to the statue? If it were up to me I'd give to them, but one finger at a time

I don't know what happened to the body, but the head was given to Indigenous land defenders for use in future actions.

In a standoff between Young Conservatives of Ryerson and some land defenders, I know who I'm betting on - and it's not the campus club.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

1) Glad that's getting some press attention, its been floating around social media for a few days.

2) Straight people def. go to Hanlans Point, not sure what that person is on about.

There’s a lot of privileged cis gay men circling the wagons on this one, that it’s unacceptable and completely unusual for Toronto. You know, because they’ve been targeted for once and they don’t pay attention to the poo poo that happens to queers outside their little circle.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

What did he do? Do you get arrested for ignoring COVID poo poo?

you can if you keep willfully ignoring the police fining you, which is what Bernier was doing. He got fined earlier in the week for organizing rallies, so this time he couldn't plead ignorance and they went straight to arresting him. Dude hosed around and found out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the funny thing is how the cop asks him if he has weapons and he's like "only my words and my mind" get the gently caress out of here you're not nelson mandela you're whining about how you had to wear a mask for a year and a half to protect other people, grow the gently caress up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

boo boo bear posted:

that's generous. a stern look and talking to from crown counsel while the charges get withdrawn 'for now'... dun dun dun...

Scotting is a pretty harsh penalty, I don't know if Bernier deserves his name being changed to "Scott Scott Scott", marking him forever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

As far as I know there’s no “new” bodies found here but rather people are trying to recognize the fact that 20 years ago the city sold the old residential school land to some rear end in a top hat that paved over everything with a RV park and conveniently everyone forgot about the part of deal where they said they would look for bodies before turning up the land and the plague marking the school was removed.

Brandon University and Sioux Valley First Nation were working together to get the land back and figure out where the school and the graves are but I don’t see any new information being reported on right now.

APTN says that 78 were accounted for in records, but there's evidence of more graves:

https://twitter.com/APTNNews/status/1403508250855813123?s=20

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Celebrating Juneteenth in Canada feels weird because it has literally nothing to do with us at all in any way, it's just a celebration/idea straight up imported unchanged from the US.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

It's almost like there's a reason that people are trained and hired for the specific role of disseminating information to the public, and even more specifically for health communication.

I'll admit that that communication is generally not flawless either but jesus christ. The genie can't be put back into the bottle and any retractions are just more evidence for the conspiracy theorists.

We're also seeing virologists in Canada start fighting with each other in public for not agreeing with the "mainstream" narrative that's been agreed upon by the health advisory committees: https://www.thestar.com/local-guelp...ine-safety.html

I have no opinion about whether Bridle is right or not, I don't have the education to remotely know, but the tension between virologists having immunization discussions in journals or conferences and virologists having immunization discussions in mass media is very relevant to this discussion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

So he's a veterinarian who cast doubt on COVID vaccines on a right wing talk station, then compared COVID to the flu? I'm not an expert either but I'm going to go ahead and disregard this guy.

The "colleges" at UofGuelph keep to their historical names due to how the university was founded, but actually do a lot of research and teaching outside of the strict meaning. (As an alumna, I took some women's studies courses that were actually under the umbrella of the Home Sciences college, even though they were rigorous sociology theory and methodology stuff.) Byram's research looks to be focused on humans: https://ovc.uoguelph.ca/pathobiology/people/faculty/Byram-W-Bridle

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

enki42 posted:

I've given up on Reddit, they've gone full blown "open everything up immediately".

you have a lot of patience if it took you this long to give up on reddit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
drat if only I was born a couple hours south of winnipeg I'd have all the dick i want

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Oooh interesting. It's not often you see a Section 11(g) discussion.

Source?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tippecanoe posted:

How are we going to triple cancel canada day????

canada day's out for summer
canada day's out for ever

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I think this is some good nuance, but I also think it's loving unacceptable to have a sitting Senator stanning for China.

we have sitting senators stanning for TERF island how is this really any different

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

Well, that's in the US. Even if it went off like Mount Saint Helen's and aimed itself right at Vancouver the blast wouldn't go far enough to hurt anyone. But it would be freakin loud after a few minutes. Garibaldi is also potentially active, but basically there's nothing in a spot where if it went off suddenly a lot of people, if anyone at all would die. I don't even think there's much danger from lahars anywhere, the geography is conveniently safe for that. This province being mostly empty helps a lot.

when garibaldi goes off, the entire station feels it all the way down to Gray 17

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh god, you think if Harper doesn't run, they will elect a full blown mask off Socon? I can see that happening

I can see it happening with Leslyn Lewis, they'll use her race and gender as a cudgel. "WHY WON'T YOU VOTE FOR A BLACK WOMAN, LEFTIST"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Even if they believe it, I cannot fathom how anyone thinks "The residential schools were run with the best of intentions" is a thing that you should say right now.

It's up there with "Hitler had a lot of good ideas" in terms of things that should not be coming out of your mouth as a politician.

speaking of that Hitler had a lot of good ideas thing: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/politics/donald-trump-adolf-hitler-book-claims/index.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

"Our" Métis, hmm?

What was it Arivia said about people who merely get the shibboleths wrong out of ignorance being indistinguishable from the people who screw them up on purpose to inflame?

That sounds way too smart to be something I’d have posted on the forums, tbh.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Health Services posted:

Some of this is people wanting to travel see family in other places, not pleasure cruises.

That's still not an excuse to yell at a pharmacist.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Why does anyone even care what Mulcair thinks anymore?

look it feels good to watch ctv politics, that's how the politics happens with the politics people

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gloom posted:

I was lucky enough to get a dose of AZ in BC in early May, and then I had to take a long trip back to the United States, where I got two shots of Pfizer. I had some reservations about mixing / doing an extra dose, but the risks seemed low, and I didn't want to end up having to explain that I got two different shots in different countries any time I might need to provide proof of vaccination.

I returned recently to find a letter from the provincial government to sign up for my second dose here. What's the best course of action? Should I try to call them and explain my situation? Go ahead and sign up for another shot of whatever? I don't think it would hurt, but I'd rather not take one away from others who could benefit more, lots of my friends here in BC haven't been able to get a second dose yet. Or maybe just ignore the letter for now, until there's some kind of formal system for recognizing US vaccinations here?

They should be able to recognize your CDC receipt, I imagine. It's a problem for plenty of people, snowbirds and the like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any credibility to there being an election this fall or is the news media just trying to kill some time and drum up a story?

it's pretty much guaranteed, the liberals are doing tons and tons of election-style funding announcements, they've been handling their bills like campaign planks for the next election, et cetera.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

What does that make Kenney? The roller?

The stir stick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Honest question.

From what I understand it’s basically what anyone with a teaspoon of brain matter could have told you: yes, there are environmental activists opposing oil sands development and yes, that opposition has stopped development and “damaged” Alberta’s economy. These activists have even been receiving international funding like Kenney alleges. Amazingly, these activists are Canadians motivated by genuine ethical concerns about the environment and are not some secret hit squad on Alberta or its peoples.

So it’s a bunch of wasted money on an “inquiry” to find out what everyone already knew; just to assuage Kenney’s persecution complex. And Kenney will likely cherry-pick poo poo from it to justify his bullshit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Pets can’t consent to ownership

But humans can, makes you think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://youtu.be/YSuHrTfcikU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Willatron posted:

My MLA posted that a lot of downtown Winnipeg businesses are deciding to keep their mask mandates in place, so at least not everybody has lost their goddamn minds over the simplest and easiest way to slow spread of Delta.

just wait until Pallister and Kenney team up for some DeSantis-style edict to declare doing that illegal

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Not only is there no quarantine in the US but there's no testing on arrival either. At least everybody gets a test (at Pearson anyway) before going to customs.

Also Canada requires a PCR test whereas the US allows antigen tests, and inexplicably, Switch Health (the company doing the arrival tests at Pearson) offers antigen tests for outgoing travellers with your choice of nasopharyngeal swab (the long one that goes in the back of your nose) or the less accurate shallow nasal swab.

"inexplicably?" it gets them more money and increases customer satisfaction, gently caress accuracy we don't care about it actually being right!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

They charge the same amount for the antigen test ($75) regardless of which swab you use and I doubt the swabs cost more than pennies each.

To be fair, the nasopharyngeal swabbing they did there was more unpleasant than I had for a PCR test because they swabbed for over 10 seconds in one nostril instead of doing both for 5-6 seconds each.

No, you can also provide proof of a positive test in the last 14-90 days as long as you're currently asymptomatic. Fortunately, it seems like fully vaccinated people are unlikely to still be infectious 2 weeks after first symptoms appear, even with delta.

I'm not clear on what the requirements are for unvaccinated Canadians returning after recovering from COVID...

Right, but if the word gets out they'll do an "easy" swab then more people will opt for that than something more rigorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

The other punishment is living with the knowledge that you are a garbage human being for the rest of your life if you lie about something like that. I'm not perfect, but I think if I lied about going to a funeral to exempt myself from public health regulations, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. No one needs to be perfect, but, holy gently caress, we all have some kind of limits.

if we have learned nothing from this, it is that a LOT more people are even more FYGM without shame than we ever, ever thought before