Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So I just saw some CPC lawn signs, and their slogan is "Secure the Future". Like, literally paraphrasing the fourteen words?

And they announced it in this tweet, in a sentence which is even closer to the nazi slogan (and "happens" to be exactly 14 words and 88 characters long).

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1422165410410008578

How the gently caress is this not a bigger deal?

because chuds are very very used to being called nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

ZShakespeare posted:

This one gets it.

They really, really don't.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Furnaceface posted:

If we ever get the true covid numbers out of BC I wonder how it will actually stack up against places like Manitoba that just let the virus rampage through the populace or Ontario that just continually ended preventative measures early sparking new waves to happen (like right now holy poo poo Simcoe County schools are getting wrecked).

unsure—tough to say without comically lovely officials and bad data really. I personally am the only BCer I know that got it, and that was because I got unbelievably unlucky right at the start of the whole thing. I'm sure there was loads of spread and way worse than was getting reported (lmao @ the "hospitalization" definition loving numbers until two months ago), but at least from anecdotes the really scary spreads were in LTCs and the interior

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Well, that was fast
https://twitter.com/CBCKatie/status/1460764842382475265

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

ARACHTION posted:

Anyone in or with family in Sumas Prairie in Abbotsford get the gently caress out right now. (Immediate evacuation orders with significant risk to life)

And for the love of God don't wait

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Starsfan posted:

huh I am somewhat surprised that her hold on people held up after the prophesized Trump invasion of Canada / her installation as queen never took place.

This gets her arrested for sure right? I don't think it's legal anywhere to call for an identifiable group of people to be assassinated.
Every single dumbshit that follows her is completely detached from reality and primed to accept things on faith. Why would that affect their opinion of her after caught in an obvious lie

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Historically in these kinds of movements, prophecies failing to come true only strengthen people's faith.

Exactly :smith:

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 26, 2021

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

TheCenturion posted:

How is 'the psych eval showed that she is sane and competent' not immediately followed by 'and will therefore stand trial for incitement to violence?'

You know the answer to that

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Huh.

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/1466187644040327174

quote:

B.C. RCMP spokesperson Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said the Mounties could not confirm whether Didulo was detained or any details of her account.

“Only in the event that an investigation results in the laying of criminal charges, would the RCMP confirm its investigation, the nature of any charges laid,” Shoihet said in an email. “Given the aforementioned, we are not in a position to confirm.”

So no charges at all?

loving A

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 3, 2021

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

IT BURNS posted:

Any news on supplies in Vancouver/highway rebuilds? Seems like the weather is still loving with things.

It is, but the rail from Kelowna to van is open again, and 8 and 99 are getting there.

1... woof.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Lol I've had a a sore throat, congestion and feverishness for most of the last week. Couldn't get a COVID test because the test sites were shut down for the cold. Today they just reopened the test site in Vancouver, and the site with wait times said it was only a 40 minute wait. So I took the car and drove over there. There was a line of cars stretching at least seven blocks. I just measured on the map, and it was at least 1.5km long. I gave up before I could even find the end of it.

So yeah, doesn't look like testing is even really possible in Vancouver any more.

VCH was dogshit terrible in the weather, it's mystifying how different FH was. They were still understaffed, but at least Burnaby/tricities/Surrey was relatively humming

It's too bad nothing at all could be done about it... or attempted.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah DBH can... I dunno, do something other than what she's currently doing

Still can't believe that Ontario is doing more than BC, or that Alberta has better data, etc

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

So I read that article, and it mostly seems to have been a journalist dealing with frustrations with FOIs and the fragmentation of health information in our system of half a dozen separate health authorities.

Could you articulate what the government are "loving up" in "all the data"?

I mean, I suppose you could argue that they were in the wrong for not cutting services across the board to funnel billions into integrating the health information across the health authorities sooner? I don't know that I would choose to make that argument, though.

And do you have a source for Alberta having better COVID data than BC? Last I checked BC was still doing double the testing Alberta was, which suggests that at least by one measure we have better data.

Either they're collecting data necessary to respond to the changing landscape of outbreak in the province and not reporting much of it, or they're just not. Everything I read states the former, but if that's true: yikesaroo!

I mean just compare the dashboards if you've got time! There's a lot to sift through, so just skip to the Twitter thread at the bottom if you want the tl;Dr. It's all tiring and nobody needs to read that much. WRT the testing: it's bad!

Goofus BC, Gallant Alberta. At first it doesn't look too different, but there's more to it than that. Even information requests are straight up not being answered in a manner that could be considered "passable." Some consider it to be the worst in Canada... however accurate or inaccurate that is. For a while they deliberately counted hospitalizations differently than the rest of the country. They also have gone back and forth on LTC facility reporting. Geo reporting has also wwaaaaaaayyyyyy shittier than most provinces.

Local journo McElroy has also been hammering the BC CDC over it the entire pandemic, as he's been shut out multiple times asking for data at least on par with Alberta (thread):
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1335353581243789312

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 5, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oof yeah, I can't even imagine :sigh:

Best of luck to you all, please post in the thread if there's something that could be done/an initiative you know of that helps any

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

This is a weird binarization of the issue. How much data is "necessary"? It sure would be great to be like the PRC and deploy a literal army of contact tracers, test collectors and testing labs to any city facing an outbreak, but I don't know if that's at all politically feasible in Canada. And if it were, it would certainly require massive support from the federal government.

The info is in the dashboards -- last week it was true, BC maxed out at 20K tests/day while Alberta was only doing around 10K, but this week (and before) it seems more even?

Ah, okay. Ignoring after this because you're starting from a conclusion that what's getting collected/reported is sufficient and we are literally never going to see eye to eye on this one. I've had to watch what bad management of pandemic response does to the people working it firsthand, and while it's better than what's going on in the states it's in no way "good," or should be immune from criticism. When we're still having issues with it being difficult for nurses wear proper PPE in tasks like testing/vaccinating—that alone is enough for a public health officer to come under scrutiny. It doesn't take a PRC like effort to match, say, Quebec or Ontario, and that's all that needs to get said.

quote:

I'm grouping the above together because they seem to be about the same thing. So the issue is not having the city-level data? It'd be nice to have for sure, but I can't say it would change what precautions I'd have taken. And they definitely have that data in some form, and have acted on it. When they were rolling out vaccines, they prioritised neighbourhoods with higher case counts. This just doesn't seem like something to get furious about.
Not having data available to the public granular enough to instruct someone "hey maybe chill out for a while" means people have less information to know when they maybe shouldn't do a thing (or when it's likely going to be fine).

quote:

That's the same article ChickenDoodle posted above, and again it mostly seems to be complaining about the FOI process, which, as the article admits, is slowed up mostly because the number of FOI requests has skyrocketed while the majority of the bureaucrats who would deal with them are working from home and less efficient at responding. The author does a bit of hand-wringing about why the provincial government doesn't just hire more FOI request-fulfillers in each of their departments, but there is most definitely a balancing act between that and people screeching about government waste and inefficiency. And in her particular case, it sounds like she got data, but was trying to request further data that either didn't exist or was likely protected for privacy reasons (e.g. contact tracing). She isn't super clear about what was actually missing, and she definitely wasn't "straight up not answered".

But also, FOI request handling is a different issue from how well the Province is handling COVID data.

The end result is the same. It does not matter. This one person is not the only outlet making requests to fill gaps in reporting. If the data must come through that vehicle, it is always going to take a fair amount of time, and that lies at the the province's feet. It could be avoided entirely by transparent reporting from the start, and those with the power to do this know this.

quote:

I think I made a post earlier in this thread about Jens Von Bergmann. You know, I broadly agree with a lot of the causes he supports, but he's a walking case study in Dunning-Kruger, and spouts his vitriolic opinion at anyone who'll listen. The local press seems to have fallen into quoting him as an authority on anything and everything involving data. But please never, ever, take Jens' opinion to be that of an expert, or even worthy of taking seriously.
Ok. I'll take your word for it, looking for more sources can't make things worse anyhow

quote:

That's not even what that article says. They counted a particular number -- people in ICU beds with active cases, and were open about that being what they were reporting. And then they eventually also started reporting numbers of people in ICU beds with post-COVID complications, like Manitoba was doing? I still don't see this as a huge gently caress-up or anything to get especially angry about.
They were underreporting the people in the ICU due to COVID. It is not difficult to understand why that is a dumb thing. Also, no, it took months of hounding from journos to get that discrepancy explained/the reporting to change. There was a stretch where JMcE went on a tear nearly every week about it.

quote:

That article just says they had a month-long lapse in reporting during a massive wave of LTC COVID because they didn't have the staff to gather and report the numbers. To which you might say "they should have just hired more epidemiologists", and to which I might reply "how many epidemiologists do you think were available for hire and already working flat-out on COVID in late 2020?"
No, I say they got an incomplete dataset—a gap that pops up due to a lack of infrastructure (in this case, an IT system). Don't argue with a straw man. I never said those things in quotes. Nor would I.

quote:

Like, I would be really happy if they had put more money into expanding testing and contact tracing capacity, but I'm still not seeing how they were "loving up all the data".
The reporting. If we assume they collected the same things as other provinces, they reported less of what they had, leading to the FOI thing, leading to less transparency of what our situation is in a pandemic that moves faster than month-to-month intervals. In general, many lapses can be forgiven because "holy poo poo it's a pandemic it's impossible to keep up," but choosing not to be as up-front with information as other provinces can lead people to make risk-based assessments based on incomplete information. And that's a decision the people releasing the data available to the public are responsible for.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

/\/\ :hmmyes:

Koos Group posted:

Very well, any objections to Drewjitsu becoming IK?

Yes, but not for any reason.

I just want to for giggles

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Ignoble Kakistocrat

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

drat and here I was considering taking Alberta off my "never ever" list of places to visit

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

On the road atm, is there a good rundown anywhere on the DBH presser that isn't a video? Having trouble finding things on Twitter

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 8, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Koos Group posted:

I suppose I'll just make them both IK.

Or cut the baby in half? Jokeprobe them both and ik nobody?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1480739461646348291

what

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

There are other indicators, like poop sleuthing, other states/territories that had similar populations, and the fact that they just let 'er rip making the theoretical peak more likely to be reached faster

But yeah, more of the same poo poo.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Franks Happy Place posted:

I just looked at the poop sleuth report Dr. Bonnie is pinning this all on and saw a footnote that, unlike other jurisdictions (eg Ottawa), the Metro Vancouver numbers are not normalized based on water flow conditions, and specifically notes that "heavy rain or snow melt conditions would have a significant effect" (paraphrasing) on the data.

So: fuckin lmao

Oh, they might be doing what Boston's doing and normalizing it based on the presence of other viruses in turds that don't really harm us but are relatively consistent in level

So yeah, they're not calculating snow melt, but they're accounting for dilution in another way

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Then: "let's keep crowing about how kids don't get covid and we can keep schools open"

Now: 44% of eligible 5-11 year olds have their first shot

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

pokeyman posted:

Finally learned why BC seems to give even fewer fucks about covid than average!

https://twitter.com/daniatomicus/status/1482233293814710276

Hope it was just a dark throwaway quip and not reality

Because, gently caress.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm just not.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

For me it's the messaging. Bonnie will say something like "we're treating it like flu/rsv/common cold" in the context of something that shouldn't be taken to mean what it sounds like, and people who should absolutely know better take that one phrase and run with it. It happens over and over (eg cloth masks, schools being "safe", overcomplicated isolation advice).

I guarantee you I'm going to have to send people home on Monday for not masking due to that presser. Not really DBH's fault, but God drat have someone edit a speech first to scrub it of obvious sources of misunderstanding.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Literally nobody is saying this.

What a handful of goons have been saying in this thread (and I am only barely paraphrasing here):

- The evil government is lying about COVID numbers.
- The government is actively trying to kill them, personally.
- The government is literally identical to the state government of Florida.
- The government will soon be holding "COVID infection parties".

It's at best sarcastic hyperbole, at worst :tinfoil: conspiracy-posting, and either way inimical to the purpose of the thread.

Thanks. :shobon:

Hope you don't smoke, that big'a strawman is a fire hazard y'know.

There's plenty of deficiency in BC's approach to data reporting and collection compared to other provinces. Not all of it is really in their control, but some of it like the "let's lump 0-20s together in hospitalization stats" releases isn't helpful given pediatric immune systems are different than those of teens.

https://twitter.com/adriandix/status/1484614858154733568

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah there was the site closures for weather in VCH that made things tough too. Omicron really hosed a lot of things fast.

By the way, is there a reason more wastewater tests aren't done? Just hesitant to spend resources on an experimental/unproven thing? I quite like what Boston's done with theirs.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Neat, that's a good dashboard!

BC does very infrequent wastewater sampling, but it's unclear if there are any plans to use it more often

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

From that link it seems like they're doing it most days (in Metro Vancouver). I'm pretty sure there've been announcements from the PHO about using that data, from which (like Alberta) they believed that we've most likely hit the peak for infections from Omicron. But it's something to watch for sure. We're far from being out of the woods.

They test 3x a week, but haven't reported since Jan 17. There was also a gap between Dec 21 and Jan 4.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

They have always been divorced from reality. It literally does not matter what they say, you can't believe a word of it and people who listen condition themselves to believe untruth in general.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Not for nothin, but this seems appropriate. Any other sources on the release though? Yep.

https://twitter.com/TraceyKent/status/1489249121915523074

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 3, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That happened, I guess

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1489737384552017921

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Godspeed you crazy biking bastards
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1490041798541987840

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I find it's easier to move big objects in smaller pieces.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Do we really need to Clancypost? Hypotheticals here don't exactly do us much good in the short term

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Cockblocking the trucker sympathisers in the CPC seems to be worthwhile, as frustrating as the NDP yet again trading their power for magic beans is

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Look, say what you will about Alberta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Of all the places on earth, Alberta is definitely one of them