Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

MA-Horus posted:

Kandahar City just fell to the Taliban

cool and good

That was always going to happen. It also isn’t a reason to occupy a country even if it’s terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Unless a political party is willing to bring back crown corporations in full they are part of the problem, imo. Nothing will fundamentally change no matter the party. It's just degrees of change towards the same result.

I'll still vote but I have no illusion that we will ever see the real change we need.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
JT is sending me unsolicited letters now. It came in a envelope without any Liberal markings.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

half cocaine posted:

It all makes so much sense that people are angry at JWR for having the integrity to blow the whistle on JT when you see how much slobber they can work up over Chretien, forgetting adscam ever happened.

I still have fond memories of Chrétien in spite of lying about not implementing the gst during the election in the 90’s, and the corruption. He had personality which so many lack these days.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

half cocaine posted:

Yeah I really miss the good old days when politicians had charisma. Adolf Hitler for example. Poor guy has been crucified by history over his beer hall putsch.

He wasn't any worse than any other past or present prime minister.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Paper Lion posted:

singh this election: 2,887,108
singh 2019: 2,903,722
mulcair 2015: 3,469,368
layton 2011: 4,508,474
layton 2008: 2,515,288
layton 2006: 2,589,597
layton 2004: 2,127,403
mcdonough 2000: 1,093,868
mcdonough 1997: 1,434,509
mclaughlin 1993: 939,575
broadbent 1988: 2,685,263

i was getting excited to post about how it seems like the NDP really had made huge gains since the 90s, until i decided to go back just one more election to the 80s and see what it was like back then.......... i guess the best credit we can give the ndp is that they've managed to skid out of the slide and work their way back up to where they were again? id say its frustrating that nothing has really changed for them in 33 years, but thems politics, bay bee

I think to some degree it is media consolidation and a swing rightward that has had an impact on NDP support. Maybe that's not true, but it certainly feels that way.

I still remember NDP governments in Saskatchewan, Ontario, and BC growing up and don't really know what happened for support to die off as it has.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

kaom posted:

Posting this anywhere BC goons might see it: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/paidsickleave/

Legislation is coming to BC effective Jan 2022 for mandatory paid sick leave. There’s a survey on this page for whether it should be a minimum of 3, 5, or 10 days (see “Options Paper”) along with some interesting stats about what’s currently available in the province (only about 40% of employers offer any paid sick leave at all, but a small percentage of employers cover most employees in the province, so despite that about 30% of employees already have more than 10 paid sick days).

I have unlimited sick day available at my job. Just need to provide a doctors note if it's more than 5 days in a row. Kind of insane how good that is, but it make a big difference in deciding to go into work sick or not.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ARACHTION posted:

I for one can’t read a pluralized Michael without laughing.

It sounds like a bit from Arrested Development.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
China is a bad country and you shouldn’t support anything they do.

For any bad that western democracies do China and Russia are 100 times worse. You’d be in jail for saying the things you say.

They hate democracy and will ship you to a concentration camp in a heartbeat for any public disagreement with the government.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

half cocaine posted:

China isn't doing poo poo. You people are crazy fantasists.

There is a general consensus that China has peaked and is headed down. That makes them more dangerous because countries that have peaked need distractions over economic issues or just to try and prove themselves.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Alctel posted:

Is anyone in this thread 'painting them as the source of their declining quality of life' because personally I don't give a poo poo about China, except I hate that their gigantic fishing fleets are systematically stripping the sea of all life in the pacific

Chinese real-estate investment in Canada is a quality of life issue.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

McGavin posted:

I keep getting calls from the Government of Canada Quarantine Monitoring Service telling me I need to quarantine after my trip outside of Canada, but I never went on a trip outside of Canada, and there isn't any way for me to contact them and tell them they have the wrong number.

Maybe they are calling Tyler Durden?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Madkal posted:

I hate needles with a passion. That's why God invented smart phones to distract people while they get poked for a split second.

As someone who just went through 8 months of weekly allergy shots, now monthly for 4 years, I am immune to needle discomfort.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Another Bill posted:

I used to listen to Cross Country Check Up on the CBC and he wasn't always this crazy, just cantankerous. Someone should really get him to retire.

He seemed like a normal lib back in the 90s so this stuff kind of blows my mind.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Thermos posted:

gently caress those people.

A while ago I got a service call and they requested I not come in the driveway. I get there and the only alternative is this tiny dirt path which my van was not going down so I said gently caress it and drove in the driveway.

This old dude comes bolting out of the house and frantically starts waving at me to pull around the back. When I got out he explained that he and his neighbor shared the driveway for 30 years, but a new person moved in and was being a huge dick about it. Threatening to sue anyone who had the gall to drive in his driveway.

I can't imagine making an enemy of an otherwise chill neighbor over something so loving dumb.

Owning property is fundamentally about personal power and control (freedom). So it makes sense that some people would want complete control regardless of how much of a dick it makes them.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Every home owner near a sky train fears increases in crime. I know of two in Coquitlam who moved because they were within a couple of blocks where the new sky train station went in.

It’s too bad that they are so selfish but that is most people. You do what you perceive as in your best interest first. It’s why we have so many problems while having so much wealth.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, based on my limited experience, he was probably approached by a cultural organization, or someone in his riding office belongs to one, told that they have someone who would be great to introduce to Zelensky because this guy also bravely fought the Russians, fought against communism, and fought to establish a homeland for his people, etc. Rota, like many other people, being ignorant of history says "sure, sounds great" and doesn't ask who this guy was fighting with if he was fighting against the Russians in 1941-1945.

It was the guys son who asked for him to be invited, lol. Maybe he hates his father and this is revenge for a childhood of abuse.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Apollo posted:

Either that or he heard some “really cool war stories” from that guy’s family about fighting the Russians.

"Mr. Hunka's son contacted Mr. Rota's constituency office and asked if it would be possible for Mr. Hunka to attend the address in the House of Commons by Mr. Zelensky. This request was accepted by the Speaker's Office," Crosson said.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6978266

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I guess doctors can just sterilize women now and face no legal consequences. What the hell is going on here? It makes no sense to me.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/canadian-police-investigate-doctor-sterilizing-indigenous-woman-103528539

quote:

Canadian police won't investigate doctor for sterilizing Indigenous woman

Police in Canada say they will not pursue a criminal investigation into a recent case in which a doctor sterilized an Inuit woman without her consent

The Canadian government says it is urgently trying to end the forced sterilization of Indigenous women, describing the practice as a human rights violation and a prosecutable offense. Yet police say they will not pursue a criminal investigation into a recent case in which a doctor apologized for his “unprofessional conduct” in sterilizing an Inuit woman.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Apollo posted:

She would have to file assault charges and she hasn't done that yet. The police would also need access to her medical records and she hasn't given them permission to view them. She is, however, currently suing him.

She's been severely traumatized so no wonder she hasn't reported it officially yet. But that shouldn't matter in this case. It's not like some spousal fight. Someone was irreparably physically damaged. It's not some slap to the face, a bruise that will heal. It may be the law, but the law clearly is failing in this situation.

I understand what is going on, but it still pisses me off.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Lars Blitzer posted:

At this point I'm going to consider the whole bunnyhug thing a bit of disinfo trolling on the level of "Sure, here in Canada we live in igloos!" sorta thing. And please for the love of everything decent if you're in Manitoba: vote! As someone living in the orange blob in a sea of blue (Edmonton) it would suck if the Cons got voted in again there.

It's real. It was more of an 80's and 90's thing until hoodie became ubiquitous.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Monaghan posted:

Congrats Manitoba. Hopefully saskatchewan follows the same path so I'm not stuck with the sask party forever.

I remember the tail end of the grant devine years and the mess they made. I honestly think that the media consolidation and rise of talk radio is what swung Saskatchewan so far to the right. It’s difficult to fix brainwashing. A big economic hit needs to happen to shake people out of their stupor.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ChickenDoodle posted:

Despite BC saying over and over again "YOU MUST WAIT UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR NOTIFICATION BEFORE GETTING YOUR VACCINE", I never got my notification. Neither did my husband. I just happened to ask if I could sneak in the Covid shot while getting my flu shot and the pharmacist told me I was eligible. No idea how long I was eligible for, but I called the day after the vaccine went live and they told me to gently caress off and wait so thanks for that! I don't loving know why we have to wait to get notified at all now - I'm certain they'll be delivered in tandem from now until the end of time.

It's funny. This whole thing has taught me not to trust the government - not because of 5G chips or MAH RIGHTS, but because they're incompetent and road block you when you actually WANT the vaccine or WANT to stay healthy. No mask mandates? gently caress you, I don't trust you, I'm wearing my mask forever now. Covid on the rise but don't worry? gently caress you, I don't trust you, I'm gonna stay at home.

I blame Adrian Dix.

I’m in Vancouver and got my email. Maybe it got spam blocked or something.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rob-oliphant-gaza-israel-joly-hamas-unrwa-1.711546

quote:

Oliphant said on the call that, even if the Israeli allegation is true, he doesn't agree with the Trudeau government's response.

"You don't stop aid to Gaza because of 12 or 13 employees out of 13,000. It drives me crazy," he said. "It is opportunistic, it is unfair, and it is maligning the operation of a UN organization that is doing, not perfect work — there's no organization that's made of human beings that's perfect, UNRWA has its faults. But it is the best we have for education, for medical care, for food, all of those things."

At least some people in our government know they are wrong, even if they are cowards

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

COPE 27 posted:

Ideally all health care and indeed all commodities would be provided for free but if one has to go first because of Liberals™ I'm happy for people to get free insulin before I get free glasses.

I actually just bought a $50 pair of Zennis and my only regret is paying $800 for my last pair. Although I think it's still pretty expensive if you have a weird prism prescription.

It would be wonderful if we still had all our crown corporations and all the profits from natural resources went into social spending instead of corporate pockets. Everything would be so much better for everyone in terms of day to day life. But we live in hell world where it slowly gets stripped away from us as we descend into privatization hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Until the NDP supports nationalizing all natural resource companies I don't think I'll be voting for them again.

Bring back all crown corporations and expand them. That would get a lot of votes.