Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Guess I'll start parallel posting in here. Hi friends :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Yeah this year is tough to use as a baseline due to injuries and what was now clearly lasting Covid effects on Tatum.

I actually look to this year's Knicks as a good example of finding useful FAs to round out a roster. If the Celtics has Bullock and Burks instead of Ojeleye and Grand Williams it would have made a huge difference.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Calidus posted:

It’s like Boston and Hayward you can’t let him walk for nothing.

This comes up a lot and I never know what it means. A contract is a thing with a predetermined ending. Once it's up, you have no claim to that player, unless bird rights stuff comes into play I guess.

Is the presumption here they should have done a sign and trade or something? This comes up a lot with Kyrie and others.

Did Cleveland get anything when LeBron left for LA?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

fast cars loose anus posted:

No but no one gave a poo poo because he had brought them a ring; also superstars are different. If they wanna play their deal out and then go wherever there's not a whole lot you can do about it; after all what are you gonna do, trade LeBron James?

On the other hand in this case you're a near-capped out team with two superstars and a window for contention that is wide open but not for long; you sure as gently caress can't have peripheral players just walking out the door because you just don't have any real way to replace them. And you traded to get him in the first place.

I still don't understand what a team is supposed to do about a player after their deal is up. They have no leverage at that point, an unrestricted free agent can do what they want.

Also Hayward wasn't traded for unless I missed your meaning.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

The teams don't have leverage, but there are reasons that they might want to do a sign and trade, and if a player wants to go somewere they can only do a sign and trade to then teams regain some leverage over the team that's trying to get the dude, at least.

I might be missing the point you're trying to make, though.

I guess I'm just reacting to the notion I hear in podcasts (and earlier in this thread) about letting a guy walk with no return. I guess I see that as the default state of the end of a contract if there isn't a mutual agreement to resign.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Cap math makes sense, thanks. That said, if a player wants to walk and their desired destination has the cap space (a la Kyrie and Brooklyn) the original team can't really do anything about it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Richardson and Covington seem to get consistently overrated. Not in the sense that they arent useful players, just that people assume they will make a significant impact when they are role players that effectively round out a solid roster.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I keep getting push notifications hypothesizing a Kemba for KP trade.

Ugh

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

one of the lingering pandemic images i have is otto porter partying with kirkland champagne in the middle of the outbreak.

Thank you for reminding me of this. As a fellow Costco Guy, I feel a deep spiritual bond with OPJ.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
And mean mugging sometimes.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Rooming with cool guys is fun and exciting.

e: especially for short-term situations I mean.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Yeah, its not a torn ACL or anything but some Team USA reps would have been a good opportunity for him I think.

This is true. I also assume a big benefit toward being in those things is the glad-handing with other star players and totally legal and cool tampering opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Time to kick off the best part of the NBA season: The offseason.