Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Magic are in a weird spot where they tore it down this year but also just signed the guys from their last tear down to new contracts. I honestly am not sure how I feel about them atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Cap math makes sense, thanks. That said, if a player wants to walk and their desired destination has the cap space (a la Kyrie and Brooklyn) the original team can't really do anything about it.

They can offer more money, which sometimes matters and sometimes doesn’t. But basically it’s easy to circumvent the cap to keep people and hard to circumvent the cap to obtain new people (unless they make at or below one of the various exceptions) so it’s very important to keep your players or move them for assets because they space they create will be less than the space they filled

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Pasting from nv since nobody's interested in the lowly Cavs

Cavs Free Agency Targets

Any potential free agency list should start with Indiana’s T.J. McConnell and Los Angeles pest Alex Caruso. Both are Cavs targets. Both fit really well. Some prefer Caruso. He’s younger, bigger, stronger and can guard multiple spots. Others like McConnell more. Even though he doesn’t shoot many 3s, he’s more polished, capable of filling in as starter, puts pressure on the rim and was the league’s total steals leader.

The Cavs might also be looking for another center. Isaiah Hartenstein, who arrived in the JaVale McGee deal with Denver, has a player option. Sources expect him to exercise that and become a free agent. Hartenstein, who made the minimum this past season, likes it in Cleveland. But he boosted his value over the final few months and opting in would make him underpaid at $1.7 million. Hartenstein’s preference, according to sources, is to renegotiate a more lucrative long-term deal, staying with the Cavs as Allen’s backup. Mo

-- Chris Fedor of Cleveland Plain Dealer

This is going to be a very underwhelming summer for straight free agency. I think something crazy will happen because it always seems to be when no deals are straightforwardly possible. Hartenstein has a future.

He’s in a great spot where he can be your backup 5 and when the plays you only give up a couple points but he’s not good enough to fool anyone into thinking he can start. You can draw infinite small contracts like that, what we might call the Zeller Zone

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Good god

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

A bunch of those picks were late 20s where you probably aren't getting much but that's still really really bad.

Yeah I’m fairly certain if you do the same for other perpetually decent teams like SA or Boston it’s going to be a lot less obscure

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

indigi posted:

I’m not an expert but KD doesn’t seem as great on defense as he used to be and I’m wondering if that’s the case or not. when people say “the old KD is back” I wonder if it’s that my memory of him is just rose colored glasses or that people are giving him a pass on defense because of the injury.

(I don’t mean this question as a diss cause the fact that he’s still an offensive monster is loving amazing and I love watching him play :) )

He’s much worse on defense though still fairly good. He can’t make the hairpin turns to block shots of guys coming in behind him or switch relentlessly onto smaller guys cause he’ll get burnt now. Still long as gently caress with good awareness so there’s a floor there

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

KD has never really gotten enough credit for how good his defense was so when people say he's back they just mean the shot making.

Like a lot of dudes that’s because he was just bad for the first half decade of his career. He only really became a positive defender late in his thunder days and with the warriors. It’s hard to shake a rep when people only watch a few games a year

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

three posted:

KD manned up and guarded anyone on the Bucks, instead of hiding like Giannis. I was impressed.

He also gassed the gently caress out and was eating the front of the rim by the end of the series. It’s a bad plan to have your offensive engine also guarding the best players on the other team, not that the Nets had much choice

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

He was good pretty early on in the Thunder days (as soon as he put on a little bit of weight). I loved the stretch where people were like "Durant, Ibaka and Perkins are all terrible at defense" while the thunder were like top 5 defense. What he got better at was swallowing up guys at the perimeter, but he's always had great hands and he knows how to use his length.

Their team D took a huge leap after the finals year, and I’d have to go back but I feel like that’s around when I started seeing him make consistent positive plays on that end. They also dropped Perkin’s minutes by 20% and were no longer playing harden, and Ibaka’s block rate started to decline as he got better at positioning himself and stopped jumping for every single ball

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

What.

Are you implying that Garland is worse than Sexton?

He scored less on lower efficiency this year, he had a few more assists given his role but turned the ball over a lot more. They're both godawful on defense, I don't really see the argument for Garland at this moment but I don't watch Cleveland much so maybe he shows signs of a higher ceiling or something?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Athanatos posted:

If you dig X's and O's talk, the Pacers best reporter dropped an article where she talks about how Carlisle's playbook can help the Pacers not be rear end:

https://www.indycornrows.com/2021/6/27/22551190/how-rick-carlisles-playbook-fits-the-pacers

It's pretty great just from a basketball read, not just boring Pacers stuff.

The beginning of this reads like a 17 who overestimates his own intelligence wrote it but once it gets into the Xs and Os it’s really good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

pretty good chance none of those guys are better than siakam and I really like moody

it's so easy to forget in the midst of draft hype that in all likelihood less than half the top 10 are even nba starters. I glanced over the drafts from 2011 to 2018, 80 players all with a few years in the league. 16 top 10 picks are out of the league. 32 are starting, 32 are backups, with a couple of guys how might do either next year but it all comes out in the wash. 1 in 5 of these guys will wash out of the league completely within a few years. Only 40% will be consistent starters. Siakim is a borderline all star, guaranteed starter for the next 5-8 years depending on health. You're taking a big gamble moving him for a couple of prospects, which is the right call if you think you're going nowhere and not one big move from going somewhere, but a bad bet otherwise.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vinestalk posted:

Welcome Clippers fans. It's always rough when your marquee player gets injured. Even more so when it's a player that has historically carried much worse teams to a championship. While it might be tumultuous now, at least Paul George showed what he was capable of when there was no one else to carry the team. Much like so many other juggernauts from the west, next year will be different.

You think this clippers team, healthy, was better than the Beautiful Game Spurs or the Raptors? I think the first would gently caress them up and the latter would be a pretty even series

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh you mean Smol Simmons? Somehow I don’t think that moves the needle

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

The 15thish best SF seems like a really good thing to have though, especially when he's only 23 and had a near 50/40/90 season. I expect his defense to get back to his regular decent/good levels too, it was a weird year.

“Near 50/40/90” seems like a stretch for 46/38/88. He’s a reasonably efficient scorer but not remarkably so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My only disagreement with Thrilla is I think Ayton can be that guy, he definitely got schemed out this series but I think he’s smart enough to learn to learn from that and comeback better. The games the Suns won were the games where he was involved on offense and putting his body to Giannis, and I think he and the coaches csn learn how to make that happen every game. For me that’s the development the Suns have to see to get back here