Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

Mayors in mysteries are always duplicious assholes. Much like most mayors in real life!

Lets get Scoob and the gang get in the van, there's clues to be found!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B and make sure we try and pull a plastic mask off him in case it's really Old Man Peters

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
C

Monster hunters mean we need to maintain a low profile, at least initially.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

When Igor returns to the photo op, she finds mayor Zed Comiskey gingerly holding a large fish by the tail and looking rather confused about it.

Drac: Tarro. Christianity hasn’t been an underground movement since like, the 450’s. How badly did being dead scramble your brains, it was like already a thing in your original time.

Tarro stops chewing on a claw.

Tarro: Did I err?
Drac: You like totally err’d, man. Honourable Mayor Cromiskey, please forgive my well meaning friend, he’s been like… dead. Some of us are good at dealing with coming back from it, but it’s not like, a universal thing.
Mayor Cromiskey: No, no that’s all right. I’m glad to see he comes from, ah, good Christian stock.
Tarro: Word.

The mayor hands the fish off to an assistant and then turns to Igor.

Mayor Cromiskey: Well I think we’re all done here. I think you’ll find the whole city is eagerly waiting your concert.

Igor notices that Sami is looking a bit perturbed and is chewing on her tail. She might want to ask about that later.

Mayor Cromiskey: So unless there’s anything else you need…

Igor cleared her throat. The Mayor might react badly to her questioning so she better ask the most important one first:

•A “Actually I’d like to talk to you about those protestors outside,”
•B “I’d like to talk about the Goblin King.”
•C “The Monster Hunters going to be a problem at the concert?”
•D “What’s the deal with the Quarry?”
•E “Did you mention the issues with the Abandoned Mine nearby?”

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C band security comes first

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Slaan posted:

C band security comes first

Reasonable. This.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B We can handle ourselves. Cut to brass tacks

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C, also why are we playing at night with a night curfew?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Lux Animus posted:

B We can handle ourselves. Cut to brass tacks

+1

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Igor: The Monster Hunters going to be a problem at the concert? Also were you going to mention the night curfew? Some of us don’t melt in sunlight but that doesn’t mean we like it.

The mayor sputters for a moment, caught off-guard.

Mayor Cromiskey: Oh, well you needn’t worry about them. You’re all legal and well behaved. The Monster Hunters are here to deal with a problem we’re having at the quarry.
Igor: … and the abandoned mine.
Mayor Cromiskey: Well, yes. I guess you were speaking with the protestors.
Igor: I was, and now I’m going to give you a chance to tell us your side of the story.
Mayor Cromiskey: I don’t think it’s fair to blame me for this situation.
Igor: Nobody’s blaming you for the situation, but they’re not happy with how you’re handling it. How is our concert going to help things?
Drac: Keeping things from us isn’t cool, man. You lie, and we’ll know because I’ve totally got some vampire tricks.

Drac is doing the usual faerie gambit of being half-truthful. He did have some vampire tricks, but he’s lost a few in exchange for being able to walk in the daylight and cross running water.

Mayor Cromiskey hesitates and Igor catches Nem staring at him intently out of the corner of her one eye. She catches the mayor’s glance and holds it for a few moments.

Nem: Please, Mr. Cromiskey.

Nem has used Faerie Charm.

He clears his throat and Igor suspects he’s coming as clean as a politician can.

Mayor Cromiskey: Ever since the Goblin King woke up in the quarry, the monsters have been disrupting business around here. Karmemuse Mining Co. has accused the protestors – part of an environmental group called “Journey to Less” – of instigating the goblins to attack because they blame the quarry for water and air contamination in our city. Journey to Less blames Karmemuse for being careless about its blasting and thinks they woke up the Goblin King. All this trouble has attracted a lot of thrill seekers here as well as a bunch of Monster Hunters. Shutting down the quarry’s put a lot of people out of work and some businesses have pulled out so I’m just trying to make the best of a bad situation and trading on the attention to get some tourism. Your concert might even get the Goblin King to see we’re friendly and maybe we can negotiate something.

Drac: Or like, draw them out towards us so you can ambush them or have us deal with it.

Sami suddenly steps forward and interjects icily.

Sami: You think you have enough security for anyone attending, honourable mister Cromiskey? I see cops, not military. Have the Hunters had any impact on the troubles?

Mayor Cromiskey: No, but they never go very far into the city.
Sami: Why do you think that is?
Mayor Cromiskey: I – I don’t know.
Sami: You better find out. If the Hunters aren’t scaring them away then you better know what is and you better not be using us as a siren song to lure them into a trap if you can’t take them down yourselves.

She retreats to lean on a back wall and pointedly looks away.

New suspect groups:
• Karmemuse Mining Co., owns the quarry
• Journey to Less, an environmental group and involved in the protest
• The Monster Hunters

Charlie and Tarro remain quiet; Tarro is curious while Charlie just looks a bit tired. Drac looks over at Igor to take the lead again since she seems to have the best idea of what’s going on. Igor notices that the mayor’s aids are looking a bit anxious and this will probably be her last question before he tries to hurry away.

•A “Well Mr. Mayor, are we being used as bait?”
•B “What can you tell us about the Karmemuse Mining Co?”
•C “What can you tell us about the Rock Goblins and the Goblin King?”
•D “We want to investigate the situation and want your support.”
•E “Is there anything else you haven’t told us about?”

Smik fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 20, 2021

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Scooby Dooby Doo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D

It'd be good publicity, and maybe we can make peace between the townsfolk and the goblins through the power of music.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

D

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Lux Animus posted:

Scooby Dooby Doo

Damn right

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Really enjoying the band members' interactions, this is great!

D

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

We want to investigate the situation and want your support.

Igor: ... and we don’t want the cops harassing us.

Mayor Cromiskey: I get the feeling you’re going to investigate no matter what I say.
Igor: We are absolutely going to investigate no matter what you say. You are in way over your head. Telling the cops to cooperate with us will make it easier for everyone.

Cromiskey sighs.

Mayor Cromiskey: All right. I’ll talk to my people, but if you’re going to do any investigation, please call my assistant and let him know where you’ll be – especially if you plan to do any investigations at night. We don’t want the Hunters mistaking you for goblins.

Sami snorts.

Igor received Mayor Assistant Ted Kimble’s number.

Mayor Cromiskey: I’m sorry but I cannot spare any more time. Please try not to cause too much trouble and be careful about those goblins. The last thing we need is to get them angry enough to attack the town.
Sami: You still don’t even know why they haven’t already.
Mayor Cromiskey: Yes, I know.
Sami: Why hasn’t your government sent real help yet?

The mayor sighs.

Mayor Cromiskey: Singersong isn’t important enough to budget a military intervention yet, especially since the goblins haven’t actually attacked the town.
Sami: That I can believe. Look just keep the Hunters off our backs and things will be fine.

The mayor and his people leave.

Drac: Why are we helping again? Like since when is this our problem?
Igor: Would you like the nice answer or the brutally honest answer?
Nem: I would like to at least hear the nice answer.
Igor: The nice answer is because we need to get some fans and if we help them out it will help us out.
Nem: It’s not quite as nice as I had hoped.
Sami: It’s practical though.
Drac: And like, the real answer?
Igor: Fresh corpses. Anything dumb enough to start trouble so obviously means it should be easy enough to track down. Fresh corpses mean fresh parts for study. Maybe we can make something useful from this “Goblin King”.
Tarro: And bring them back into the good grace of God.
Drac: Like I’d be creeped out but that’s legitimately something I would have done when I was my father.
Nem: I beg your pardon?
Drac: Reincarnation thing.

So now that the band’s decided to get involved, what should they do first? You’re not likely to be attacked during the day (if you’re looking for a fight) and it will be easier to find clues. If you're looking to fight the "rock goblins" it's better to talk to people and research. You only have enough daylight to do one task, after which you should expect combat unless you prefer to wait out the first night in the castle.

•A Scout the Quarry.
•B Scout the Abandoned Mine.
•C Talk to “Journey to Less”, they’re still near the castle.
•D Research “Karmemuse Mining Co.”
•E Investiate the Monster Hunters.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

E - They seem like the biggest threat, better know what we're dealing with.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 22, 2021

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
D

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B tough call!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Id just like to say that Drac's hair is incredible. I keep expecting him to JoJo pose at any second.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Id just like to say that Drac's hair is incredible. I keep expecting him to JoJo pose at any second.

Here is the original Drac concept I did:

I actually hate the artwork for the last update because Nem's got a case of the "bad anime" due to her goat eyes, but some days one's art abilities aren't 100%. But I want to update frequently to keep things moving so sometimes bad art is better than none.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

E make sure they won't knife us in the back

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

E

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

A quick lookup reveals that the monster hunters will likely be found around at the Kiosk for the Candian Federal Supernatural Security. It is oddly located in the same building that one would renew one’s driver’s licence or health card. The band piles into the MONSTER MACHINE, Mega Frankenstein’s tour bus.

Arriving at the Monster Hunter’s Kiosk, Igor spies a familiar face lounging around outside.

The band has encountered EDDIE VAN HELLSING, leader of the Monster Hunter band “Van Hellsing”! Van Hellsing has the band’s main rival ever since Drac was resurrected. They’re not directly hostile but they’re not friendly.

Van Hellsing is smoking a cigar and does not acknowledge the party until they are passing by to enter.

Van Hellsing: Nosferatu. Hunchback.

Drac: What are you doing here, Van Hellsing?
Van Hellsing: Could ask the same thing, Nosferatu.

Sami: If we’re going by species, I’m gonna call you Jackass.

Igor: A huge jackass.
Sami: Huge Jackassman.
Drac: Like let’s not go there that movie was embarrassing for the both of us.

Van Hellsing: Fair. Well, you lot don’t need to worry. I’m not here for hunting, I’m here for recruitment. Although it’s still plenty confusing what you lot are doing here at the Hunter’s kiosk.
Igor: We’re just making sure they know we’re not a target. Also we might be doing a bit of hunting ourselves.

Van Hellsing puffs on his cigar.

Van Helling: Hunting? You lot?

Sami: Just because we’re not human doesn’t mean we’re all automatically on the same team, Honky Jackass.

Nem: Sami!
Sami: Nem, do you even know what a honky is?
Nem: No but it sounds excessively rude and you’re better than that.
Sami: No I’m not.

Igor sighs.

Igor: All this scintillating conversation aside…

Van Hellsing is probably only in the mood to answer one question:
•A So what do you think of the Hunters around here?
•B You’re not here to take down the Goblin King?
•C You’re not going to get in our way, right?

Side vote: Should I include more dialogue boxes but shrink them down so they don't make posts excessively large or just leave them as is and just use them as required?
Y/N

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A

Yes

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B
Y

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

N

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

You’re not here to take down the Goblin King?

Von Hellsing: Don’t tell me you bought into the Goblin King story.

Igor: We just got here. We were originally just here to play.

Von Hellsing: Yeah well maybe when you get a little bigger you can open for us in a real city and not these tiny towns. Anyhow, they’re no goblins.

He gestures towards Sami, who flips him the bird.

Von Hellsing: They’re Scandinavian Rock Trolls.

Nem: In Canada? Shouldn’t they be Canadian Rock Trolls?

Von Hellsing glances over. Nem has her magic mirror out – it’s basically like a faerie version of smart phone – and is scribbling on it with her finger.

Von Hellsing: Are you… taking notes?

Nem: Yes? I can’t commit everything to memory.

Von Hellsing looks over at Igor.

Von Hellsing: Is she a student? Kinda robbing the cradle, eh?

Nem: Don’t be racist.
Von Hellsing considers questioning her remark but then seems to decide it’s not worth his time.

Von Hellsing: I can’t believe you didn’t figure out they were Scandinavian Rock Trolls. Thought you were better than that, hunchback.

Nem: In Canada. Making them Canadian Rock Trolls, so while they might share traits with Scandinavian Rock Trolls they are more than likely their own people.

Von Hellsing stares at Nem while puffing on his cigar.

Von Hellsing: Well if you’re so smart sweetheart, why don’t you tell me why I’m not here to take down the Canadian Rock Troll King.

Drac: Probably because you’re scared.

Von Hellsing points at Dracula and opens his mouth to say something most certainly rude but Nem cuts in.

Nem: Well, since the rest of Von Hellsing isn’t with you I’m going to assume it’s because you’re not prepared to hunt and are just here to scout talent like you said.

Von Hellsing shakes his head in disbelief.
Von Hellsing: I thought she was your Daphne, not the Velma.

Sami: No, Drac is our Daphne.

Drac: I am not D – no wait, Daphne was the cute one. Yeah I’m totally the Daphne.

Von Hellsing: Whatever.

Van Hellsing is an rear end but Igor knows his evaluation is probably correct. Scandinavian Rock Trolls are generally not the kind to start trouble unless someone starts it first, but once they get going they usually don’t stop. Like faeries, they tend to mark their territory to avoid unnecessary conflict but once angered it takes a considerable tribute to calm them down. The quarry owners should have known this and it certainly wouldn’t be in their best interests to disturb them considering it would have and did shut down their business here.

Igor is pretty sure this means that someone angered the rock trolls on purpose, but the question remains what purpose that would be. There’s also the abandoned mine, which unless it’s directly connected to the quarry shouldn’t be a dangerous location which means that either they are connected or perhaps there is a separate group of creatures who are active in the mine – but then why would they both wake up at the same time? Goblins and trolls don’t work together under normal circumstances, and if the two tribes are at odds it could explain why neither are travelling very deep into town.

New Questions to Answer:
• Are they Rock Goblins, Rock Trolls, Both or Neither?
• Why is there supernatural activity at both the quarry and the mines? Are they physically connected?
• Who disturbed the creatures from the quarry?
• Who disturbed the creatures in the mine?

New Monster Profile: Scandinavian Rock Trolls
Scandinavian trolls are humanoid creatures with a wide variance of abilities and appearances depending on their environment but they all share a weakness to the sun (which turns them to stone). Rock trolls are unique in their ability to survive sunlight by voluntarily shifting to stone, but while the sun shines on them they are unable to turn back and are vulnerable to being destroyed. They have massive strength and extremely durable hides. More notably, rock trolls tend to create minion constructs to do their bidding and what their minions lack in intelligence they make up for in being both durable and expendable. Unlike other trolls, Rock Troll “Kings” often live alone and are usually tended by a number of minions and their antisocial behaviour makes them notoriously difficult to negotiate or reason with. Their minions share the troll intolerance to the sun. Not much else is known about Rock Trolls; they are hostile to outsiders, dead trolls don’t give interviews, and the only corpses modern medicine has been able to study were in extremely poor condition due the difficulty in killing them.

What should the band do now?
•A Check out the other monster hunters.
•B Investigate the Quarry while you have daylight.
•C Investigate the Abandoned Mine while you have daylight.
•D Research until nightfall; this option is for combat. Igor can retrieve fresh parts from slain monsters and the Doctor will be able to analyze them. You can still obtain clues but the threat of attack and darkness makes it more difficult.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Smik posted:

New Monster Profile: Scandinavian Rock Trolls
Scandinavian trolls are humanoid creatures with a wide variance of abilities and appearances depending on their environment but they all share a weakness to the sun (which turns them to stone). Rock trolls are unique in their ability to survive sunlight by voluntarily shifting to stone, but while the sun shines on them they are unable to turn back and are vulnerable to being destroyed. They have massive strength and extremely durable hides. More notably, rock trolls tend to create minion constructs to do their bidding and what their minions lack in intelligence they make up for in being both durable and expendable. Unlike other trolls, Rock Troll “Kings” often live alone and are usually tended by a number of minions and their antisocial behaviour makes them notoriously difficult to negotiate or reason with. Their minions share the troll intolerance to the sun. Not much else is known about Rock Trolls; they are hostile to outsiders, dead trolls don’t give interviews, and the only corpses modern medicine has been able to study were in extremely poor condition due the difficulty in killing them.

Nem: How many times do I need to say this? They are in Canada and are therefore Canadian Rock Trolls!

B

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

B

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
B

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B the rest is underground and doesn't require daylight.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Lux Animus posted:

B the rest is underground and doesn't require daylight.

Do we still qualify as undeground rock?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Investigate the Quarry while you have daylight.

It’s a short trip to the quarry despite being several kilometers from town. As the bus approaches, the air gets drier and dustier and clouds of fine lime swirl around the tires before floating into the breeze. Nem coughs and Sami pats her back. When the bus arrives at the gates its stopped briefly by a couple of policemen who have to confirm that the group is Mega Frankenstein. Igor shoots them a look as if to say “Who else would we be” and the cop responds with the slight shrug of someone who has to follow procedure regardless of its intelligence.

Drac: Like, what’s even the point? They’ve got two cars. Six if you count the squashed ones. And like, the fencing is gone, man.

Most of the remains of the cop cars have been moved but it’s very clear where they were when they were dragged away from the site. The lime dust makes for clear trailing and whatever hit the cars did so with enough force to make an impression into the parking lot’s pavement.

Sami: Humans are fond of making a show of security, especially when they don’t have any. No offence, Igor.

Igor: Nah, I’m too much an outlier to care. I’m guessing they drive away at night now though if whatever we’re up against is strong enough to flatten vehicles.

Tarro: It’s not that hard to flatten a modern vehicle.

Charlie: I’ve only jumped on one once, it did OK.

Tarro: Well thanks to the ample crumple zones of the modern motor vehicle making an impressive looking dent doesn’t take much effort. While they’re not designed to take an impact from above, they’re not meant to crumple from that angle in order to protect the occupants either. You’re relatively light for your size, Charlie.

The bus parks near the cop cars, and the band exits – with Charlie and Tarro having to leave through double-doors in the rear.
The arachnid stretches in the sun, then goes down on all eights to stretch her limbs individually. Tarro yawns but the coughs abruptly.

Tarro: The lime dust really is irritating. Are you all right, Nem? You seem a bit more sensitive to it.

Nem nods.

Igor surveys the area. There are the remains of the Karmemuse Mining offices nearby – presumably where managers would work. The doors are several meters away, and the scattered papers that lie half-buried in a combination of dirt, lime and debris would indicate that some very powerful creatures have already ransacked it.

Nearby there are is a notably stronger structure. It’s a three story tall silo that has pockmarks and cracks but seems to have remained defiant against whatever forces were awakened here.

Finally there’s the quarry itself. It’s going to be a little bit of a hike to reach it.

Generally speaking even without direct exposure to sunlight it’s relatively safe to explore during the day since most trolls will stay hidden just in case. What do you want to investigate first?
•A Check out the ruined offices.
•B Investigate the silo.
•C Check out the entrance to the troll lair.
•D Talk to the cops.
•E ____________

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

D - "What's the sitch?"