Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Do it up the back passage

:quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

SECRET TUNNEL

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Back way

Let's hurry up and solve this mystery so we can get back to rocking.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Look for another way in...

Igor: OK Sami, you’re center stage.

Sami nods. She gets to her feet and her guitar slides into her grip and she begins to play softly, and then tilts her head.
Nobody else seems to hear anything or if they do, they don’t understand what they’re to be listening for. Sami moves around, playing another tune and then listens. Drac moves to her right.

Drac: Scrying?

Sami nods.

Drac: Kinda coming back to me now. Like, from one of my past lives. It’s like, over this way. Total echolocation, man.

The two of them begin a rhythm of playing and listening.

In the meantime, Charlie has spread webbing across the chasm.

Charlie: It’s not gonna stop them but I’ll know if they try to use this exit.

Nem: I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t. We are invaders from outside regular humanity. I’d expect most of the surprises awaiting us are geared towards dealing with humans. The Troll King’s code is also outdated. I’m glad you went with my suggestion Igor; in my experience trolls don’t negotiate and I’d rather we deal with him before he updates his protocols.

Charlie chortles.

Nem: What’s so funny?

Charlie: Everyone expects rock bands to be full of charismatic showy bastards who snort blow of roadie backs but every crew I’ve ever played with has been full of geeks who played D&D on the bus.

Nem frowns, opens her mouth to argue but then closes it to consider the point.

Charlie: Granted, I toured with goths and German metal crews. But you blow them away, Nem. Plus you sing well.

Nem initially smiles but quickly realizes that Charlie was referring to her geekdom and not her talent. Before she can say anything Sami calls the rest of the crew over to a hidden entrance.

Sami: It’s behind this slab of rock. You’d need massive strength or one of the pit’s machines to open it and doesn’t seem to be trapped.

Tarro heaves the slab out of the way, revealing a carved set of stairs descending into the darkness. It’s cramped for the massive drummer; he can move well enough but nobody is going to be able to get around him except Sami (who is tiny) and
Drac (who can teleport). Charlie is a large specimen as well but unlike Tarro she can crawl across the ceiling and walls with ease. It’s readily apparent that Tarro will be an immoveable wall in combat and this is both an advantage and a liability.

If you place Tarro in front, any enemies you meet head-on will be unable to get by him, but he also prevents anyone but Sami, Drac and Nem to be able to assist in combat. If you are attacked from behind Tarro will not be able to help. Placing him in the back will guard against attacks from behind but then the problem of frontal attack is reversed.

While Tarro is in the lead Sami won’t be able to detect traps as he blocks her way. If Sami and Drac lead, they will need to take a turn to scramble behind Tarro if the party runs into trouble.
Nem retains a charge of healing.

Please choose a party formation:
• Tarro in front. He’ll definitely set off any traps but he’s also extremely tough and not all traps can even affect him. Charlie will bring up the rear to protect the crew. Charlie will take a turn before she can assist in combat as she will have to crawl past him via the ceiling.
• Tarro in back. He’ll block any incoming enemies from behind but won’t be able to assist with any frontal combat. Sami & Drac will lead with Charlie.
• Tarro behind Sami & Drac; Sami will scramble behind him during the first turn of combat if enemies are encountered but they’ll be able to look for traps. Charlie will require two turns before she can assist in combat since she’ll want to ensure the band has plenty of room to change formation.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Option 3, Drac and Sami in front of Tarro

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

vorebane posted:

Option 3, Drac and Sami in front of Tarro

This

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tarro in front: I trust big boy can deal with any traps

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Slaan posted:

Tarro in front: I trust big boy can deal with any traps

Can't wait for him to get stuck neck deep in a pitfall.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chaosfeather posted:

Can't wait for him to get stuck neck deep in a pitfall.

And be irritated by it.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Tarro behind Sami & Drac

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lux Animus posted:

Tarro behind Sami & Drac

This

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Sami & Drac Lead the Way

Sami and Drac lead the way. The caves aren’t too claustrophobic unless you’re as big as Tarro; Sami and Igor finds them positively spacious.
It’s dark but between the nightvision of the crew and Igor’s lighting equipment (I mean, you rob a few graves and you know it’s a good idea to bring your own light source) it’s not hard to navigate.
The crew shortly stumble across a bloodstain that suggests something was dragged to the tunnels off to their left.

Sami: Chances of anyone alive? Nil. That’s the kind of trap my people would set up to discourage explorers. What we’d do is coat the bodies in quicklime to kill the stink, the leave the mummified remains for intruders to find with some simple traps – something like a deadfall. Enough to hurt, but not really enough to kill since we just wanted people to be scared enough to stay the hell away.

Drac shakes his head.

Drac: Like, I don’t think the lime would be an issue man. The trolls are like, totally full of lime. My skin burned when they punched me. I don’t think it’s a trap, it’s probably like a trash pit.

Igor raises her hand.

Igor: We might find some clues in the corpse pile though. Not all the dead are cops, there’s something else going on here.

Sami sighs.

Sami: Yeah, well I’m just saying chances are good we won’t get anything of value and at least a 50% chance we’d be walking into some kinda trap.

Drac: But like, these trolls aren’t like the “scare away” types.

Sami nods and concedes the point but stands by her advice.

What do you do?
1. Follow the trail of blood.
2. Ignore the trail of blood, go down the other tunnel.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1 Trolls don't normally bleed, and who else could have found this area at this point?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Contrary 2 vote

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Lawful Stupid vote for 1

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

2 chaotic good vote

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

You decide to follow the blood stains.

The band comes across a deep pit in which a number of bodies have been dragged and unceremoniously dumped. It's a fairly steep drop but nothing that Charlie couldn't handle and her web-weaving abilities, so if the group would like to investigate it's not an issue.

Charlie: I can get you down there Igor but unless you think you'll need a second opinion on the forensics I don't see any reason to drag anyone else down with you, especially if we get trouble while we're down there.

The band glances at each other.

Drac: Like, I know a little bit about different ways people die by supernatural means and like, I don't need a ride but I also don't think there's a whole lotta point. I mean, they're gonna be extra broken from the fall.

Sami: I can tell you all I know from here -- dumping bodies into a pit like that is getting them out of the way, and the trolls weren't doing any house-cleaning in the offices. Maybe it's different in the tunnels. Maybe we're not the first non-trolls down this way. Could mean this is a higher traffic area than it looks and we might want to be prepared.

Igor is fully capable of doing forensics on the bodies. There's probably nothing of note to extract from them as they appear to be ordinary humans.

What now?

1. Send Igor & Charlie down to investigate the corpses. The rest of the band will be on guard for patrols.
2. Send Igor, Charlie & (other characters, specify) to investigate. If the band is attacked they will be unavailable for the combat, except Drac who can make it back in a single turn.
3. You know enough from up here. Time to check out the other tunnels.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yep those are bodies all right. 3

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

1 - If anyone died from something besides "punched by troll" it could be useful to know about it. Like, for instance, bullet wounds, werewolf fangs, etc.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
3 now we know where they put things that have blood in them. Duly noted - moving on!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Spare parts!

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

jng2058 posted:

1 - If anyone died from something besides "punched by troll" it could be useful to know about it. Like, for instance, bullet wounds, werewolf fangs, etc.

+1

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

You know enough from up here. Time to check out the other tunnels.

Igor: Probably not worth our time to investigate. Let’s hit the other tunnels.

A short walk down the opposite tunnel is interrupted by Drac’s discovery of a hunter corpse. Well, it’s an assumed hunter corpse. Civilians wouldn’t be down here and the body isn’t dressed like a cop.
More importantly, the corpse has been shot to death.

Sami: Someone moved it a little out of the way. Neither trolls nor their construct use guns… They can’t get manipulate the triggers with their massive hands. Also someone searched this corpse – no ID, no weapons.

Drac: Like, not how trolls work.

Sami: Not at all. The only people who take money and weapons are human-type people, or goblin-class creatures and we generally aren’t this sloppy.

Igor: So the question is who and why are humans killing their own hunters and dumping them here?

Sami: You still wanna charge down this path of fighting the troll king? Seems like we should be doing more investigation.

Please suggestion an action:
1. Nem: The troll king is still a threat, we just know that he’s not the only one; we need to press our advantage and continue.
2. Tarro: Perhaps we have moved too hastily. We should investigate a different location such as the abandoned mine.
3. Igor: Fine, let’s return to the castle and rest until morning, then question some civies and find out what’s really going on.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Going with Nem on this one.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Tarro has the right idea

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

1. Push it!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1 Nem is the strategist here

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

1 Kick some troll rear end

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

You know enough from up here. Time to check out the other tunnels.

The band continues down the hewn earth. Drac’s nose crinkles.

Drac: Like, I smell blood and rot, man.

Following his lead down a side cave, the stench of death becomes apparent to even the most limedust-clogged of noses and the band comes across the site of a massacre.

These bodies were definitely troll-killed; they’ve been trampled, crushed or otherwise slain by extreme blunt force trauma. Sami motions for the band to stay where they are and quietly creeps past the gore to the cave wall. She traces her finger-tips along the surface and listens before nodding to indicate that the rest of the group can advance.

Sami: We’re at the entrance to the troll king’s halls proper.

She and Igor pick through the remains of the victims for clues.

YOU FOUND:
• Two COP BADGES
• Four WALLETS
• Destroyed: Firearms and electronics

Two of the victims were cops; two of the victims were monster hunters. Judging by the freshness, the cops died first. The Hunters probably found their corpses and were killed in the same place.
Sami and Drac suddenly scramble behind Tarro, pulling Igor with them.

Sami hisses “Incoming”.

The trolls are coming, but the band has the initiative (but not the surprise).

Charlie is able to get to the front (crawling along the ceiling) just in time as the trolls pull the heavy stone doors open. There’s a group of six of them.

Combat will be starting!

To expedite combat, please choose actions for each band member. When actions conflict, the band will mitigate issues as best they can. You will need to also select a target in some cases.

TARRO and CHARLIE block the trolls from reaching the band members behind them.
DRAC can teleport in to attack or distract.
SAMI and NEM can attack from behind Tarro.
IGOR can't act do to her position in the band.

The TROLLS can only attack 3 at a time. Trolls 4, 5 and 6 can only be hit by Sami's fire blasts or Nem's crows.

Trolls 1-3 can be engaged by TARRO and CHARLIE in melee combat. When choosing an action, please indicate Troll #1-3 as your target.

CHARLIE acts first! She is currently on the low ceiling of the caves, and the lack of space has restricted some of her abilities.

Choose an ACTION and target troll #1-3.
• Crush – Charlie can grab an enemy and attempt to crush it to death using all her limbs. Her defence drops slightly to do this as she is at an odd angle, but the attack does x2 damage per turn.
• Poison – Charlie will attempt to inflict poison an enemy. Does not work on heavily armoured foes.
• Entangle – Charlie will use her silk to create an entangling web. It takes 2 turns to perform and requires massive strength to escape.
• Slam – Charlie will grab an enemy and hurl it into another (or the ground) knocking them both down. Charlie is at a penalty to throw a troll at another due to the angle but she can slam them into the ceiling instead, causing the troll to lose an additional turn since the odd angle makes the fall difficult to recover from.

TARRO acts next! He blocks the trolls from easily reaching the rest of the band.

• Charge – Tarro will charge into his target, slamming them for 50%. Only very large enemies can resist being sent flying. Charging is much more likely to hit in this confined space.
• Crush –Tarro will grab an enemy and crush them to death with all four of his arms. This does 2x damage per turn and has no impact on his armour.
• Block – Tarro is exceptionally well armoured and he can block for a turn. During this time just about no attack will penetrate. Tarro can block 2 enemies given the tight quarters.
• Bite – Tarro will grab an enemy and bite them, inflicting 25% damage. This inflicts bleeding on enemies that are susceptible.
• Slam – Tarro will grab an enemy and hurl them into another (or the ground) knocking them both down.

SAMI acts next!

• Pyrotechnic Facemelter – Sami will play an explosive riff that strikes the enemy back row. The focus of the blast has a 50% chance of being destroyed, and 4-6 enemies around the blast will take damage and have to roll to keep their footing. Slammed enemies can knock down others. This riff takes 2 turns to complete. Sami can target ANY troll, including 4-6.
• Ring of Fire – Sami will play a quick riff for a ring of fire. She can use this fire to damage trolls 1-3 (at a risk of burning Charlie) or at trolls 4-6, who will be forced to retreat from combat entirely.
• Pyro Riff – Sami will play a quick riff that will blast a single enemy with explosive force. The victim must roll to remain standing, with a chance of being knocked into another enemy. It has a 25% chance of instantly destroying the target. Sami can target any troll with this.

NEM acts next! Her line-of-sight is a bit hampered by Tarro but she can still act.

• Drain – Nem will drain a single target of 50% of its life force; this energy can then be redistributed to an ally. Specify troll 1-3.
• Murder – Nem will drain 4-6 enemies for 25% of their life force; this can be redistributed to an ally. This will only impact trolls 1-3.
• Heal – Nem is still 'holding' life force she can use to heal a target. She can pre-emptively heal a target.

Nem can't use Charm; she doesn't have a clear enough line of sight.

Drac acts last! He lacks a ranged attack but can teleport.

• Teleport – Drac can short-range, line-of-sight teleport. Teleporting causes enemies to instantly lose sight (and aggro) of him. His next attack counts as a Surprise Attack. Drac can teleport behind Trolls 1-3 but he will be vulnerable to trolls 4-6 after he does so (he has 1 round of safety due to surprise)

IGOR cannot act this turn due to her position.

Please suggestion actions for Charlie, Tarro, Sami, Nem and Drac. Anyone not mentioned will act based on their character.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Charlie entangles while Tarro Blocks to keep the line strong stop escapers from warning the troll king. Nem will Murder 1-3 to top up Tarro and Charlie if needed.

Then a pyro riff to troll 6 by Sami to keep the back line occupied. Drac and Igor stay put for now

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Charlie: ceiling slam
Tarro:Block
Sami: Facemelter
Nemi:Murder
Drac:teleport

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Charlie Is a strong lady and should Crush #2, who should be in reach. If she grabs them and manages to pull them up
Tarro can Block 1 and 3 below her, cutting them off entirely. If
Sami can hit 4-6 with Ring of Fire, which should cause them to try to retreat into
Drac Who teleported behind them (can he teleport that far?) and thus still surprise them. Then
Nem Can hit the first three with murder, hopefully giving us a chance to back attack one of them while they are startled.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Does Crush kill the target instantly or does it require whoever is crushing to keep doing damage over a number of turns? Anyway.

Charlie should Slam Troll #2 on the ceiling
Tarro should Crush Troll #1
Sami should Facemelt Troll #5
Nem should pre-Heal Charlie

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Space Kablooey posted:

Does Crush kill the target instantly or does it require whoever is crushing to keep doing damage over a number of turns? Anyway.

Crush is more effective against breathing enemies, but yes it does damage over a series of turns. It also immobilizes the target.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Vote Tallies:

Charlie - entangle, slam, crush, slam -> slam
Tarro: Block, block, block, crush -> block
Sami: Riff, Facemelter, Ring of Fire, Facemelter -> Facemelter
Nem: Murder, murder, murder, heal -> murder
Drac: Wait, teleport, teleport, -> teleport

Charlie grapples with Troll #1, and SLAMS it into the ceiling!

Troll takes 20% damage!

Tarro blocks! Trolls #2 & #3 can't get by him!

Sami BEGINS the FACEMELTER at the back row! It will take another turn to complete!

Nem uses MURDER on Trolls 2 & 3 (Troll #1 is still in Charlie's grasp)

Trolls 2 & 3 take 25% damage!

Drac TELEPORTS behind the back row! They're not aware of him yet, his next action will surprise them!

Troll #2 attacks Tarro!

Ineffective!

Troll #3 attacks Tarro!

A lucky hit! Tarro takes 10% damage!

Charlie hurls the troll she slammed into Troll #3!

Troll #1 takes 10% damage!
Troll #3 takes 10% damage!

Trolls 1 & 3 are knocked down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

NEW ROUND

The TROLLS can only attack 3 at a time. Trolls 4, 5 and 6 can only be hit by Sami's fire blasts or Nem's crows.

Trolls 1-3 can be engaged by TARRO and CHARLIE in melee combat. When choosing an action, please indicate Troll #1-3 as your target.

The TROLLS act first!
Trolls 1 & 3 get to their feet!

Troll #2 attacks Tarro!

It's ineffective!

Drac acts before the rest of the band! He is behind the trolls and can make a SURPRISE ATTACK!

• Attack - Drac can swing his keysword at the back of a troll! It's a guaranteed hit and will do 40% damage.
• Showboat - Drac can draw attention of the trolls.
• Wait - The trolls won't notice him and he can bide his time for a surprise later.

TARRO acts next! He blocks the trolls from easily reaching the rest of the band. He has taken 10% damage.

• Charge – Tarro will charge into his target, slamming them for 50%. Only very large enemies can resist being sent flying. Charging is much more likely to hit in this confined space.
• Crush –Tarro will grab an enemy and crush them to death with all four of his arms. This does 2x damage per turn and has no impact on his armour.
• Block – Tarro is exceptionally well armoured and he can block for a turn. During this time just about no attack will penetrate. Tarro can block 2 enemies given the tight quarters.
• Bite – Tarro will grab an enemy and bite them, inflicting 25% damage. This inflicts bleeding on enemies that are susceptible.
• Slam – Tarro will grab an enemy and hurl them into another (or the ground) knocking them both down.

SAMI acts next!
She will complete her FACEMELTER, which will strike trolls 4-6. Don't get too close!

NEM acts next! Her line-of-sight is a bit hampered by Tarro but she can still act.

• Drain – Nem will drain a single target of 50% of its life force; this energy can then be redistributed to an ally. Specify troll 1-3.
• Murder – Nem will drain 4-6 enemies for 25% of their life force; this can be redistributed to an ally. This will only impact trolls 1-3.
• Heal – Nem is still 'holding' life force she can use to heal a target. She can pre-emptively heal a target.

Nem can't use Charm; she doesn't have a clear enough line of sight.

CHARLIE acts last! She is currently on the low ceiling of the caves, and the lack of space has restricted some of her abilities.

She can only target Troll #2 until she climbs down from the ceiling.
• Crush – Charlie can grab an enemy and attempt to crush it to death using all her limbs. Her defence drops slightly to do this as she is at an odd angle, but the attack does x2 damage per turn.
• Poison – Charlie will attempt to inflict poison an enemy. Does not work on heavily armoured foes.
• Entangle – Charlie will use her silk to create an entangling web. It takes 2 turns to perform and requires massive strength to escape.
• Slam – Charlie will grab an enemy and hurl it into another (or the ground) knocking them both down. Charlie is at a penalty to throw a troll at another due to the angle but she can slam them into the ceiling instead, causing the troll to lose an additional turn since the odd angle makes the fall difficult to recover from.

IGOR cannot act this turn due to her position.

Please suggestion actions for Charlie, Tarro, Sami, Nem and Drac. Anyone not mentioned will act based on their character.