Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

a Loving Dog posted:

stop posting how are u. you suck the most rear end

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

yes, Sham is a name for Syria, also in Cenk’s mother tongue

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

They’re good

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lollontee posted:

it is fact bad and fascist to imply the american empire should gtfo of the whole of middle east, and the world in general, and should remain within their internationally recognized borders

you write for the nation?
https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/anti-imperialism-syria-progressive/

quote:

The second—even more complex—case is Syria. There, the Obama administration never intended to impose a NFZ. Because of inevitable Russian and Chinese vetoes at the UNSC, this would have required a violation of international legality like that committed by the George W. Bush administration in invading Iraq (an invasion Obama had opposed). Washington kept a low profile in the Syrian war, stepping up its involvement only after the so-called Islamic State surged and crossed the border into Iraq, and then restricting its direct intervention to the fight against ISIS.

Yet Washington’s most decisive influence on the Syrian war was not its direct involvement—which is paramount only in the eyes of neo-campists exclusively focused on Western imperialism—but rather its prohibition of delivery by its regional allies of anti-aircraft weapons to the Syrian insurgents, primarily due to opposition from Israel. The result was that the Assad regime enjoyed a monopoly in the air during the conflict and could even resort to extensive use of devastating barrel bombs dropped by helicopters. This situation also encouraged Moscow to directly engage its air force in the Syrian conflict starting in 2015.

Anti-imperialists were bitterly divided on Syria. Neo-campists—such as, in the United States, the United National Antiwar Coalition and the US Peace Council—focused exclusively on Western powers in the name of a peculiar one-sided “anti-imperialism,” while supporting or ignoring the incomparably more important intervention of Russian imperialism (or else timidly mentioning it, while refusing to campaign against it, as in the case of the Stop the War Coalition in the United Kingdom), let alone the intervention of Iran-sponsored Islamic fundamentalist forces. Progressive democratic anti-imperialists—this author included—condemned the murderous Assad regime and its foreign imperialist and reactionary backers, reproved Western imperialist powers’ indifference to the fate of the Syrian people while opposing their direct intervention in the conflict, and denounced the nefarious role of the Gulf monarchies and Turkey in promoting reactionary forces among the Syrian opposition.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

neo-campists are grown adults who are really into Super Sentai

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
welcome to the neo-camp (???), here is a selection of pills. one them causes you to go insane, and another makes you see the truth. the choice is yours so long as you follow our lead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Neither Istanbul nor Damascus.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

One pill makes you gay and the other makes you into a lib. Choose wisely.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
its called constantinopolis you racist basterd

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Can you provide some citations. Tia

OK I decided to go looking into this more and its mostly nonsense, I'll accept the L for this.

Like the closest I can find is that Aaron Mate was reporting from Syria recently with the Syrian Solidarity Movement and that people were complaining about that. I should have been more critical of why that was.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

queer me mommy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

How are u posted:

Sometimes we do real good, sometimes we do real bad. It's kind of a mixed bag.

No, it's not. It's really really really not.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

How are u posted:

The nazi invasion of poland bad, the nazi invasion of AUSTRIA on the other hand

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

u.s. soldiers sometimes commit massacres but also help old ladies across the street maybe. it's a land of contrasts

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

How are u posted:

Sometimes it feels like the whole world is a mixed bag, and that things are not really black or white, right or wrong. Makes u think.

lmao you're a caricature

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

cancer kills 600k a year in the us, but it's also made some people lose a lot of weight

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

US imperialism kills a lot of people but acknowledging that makes me feel bad so who’s to say if it’s good or bad

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The best thing that Obama ever did was go against all of his national security shitheads and the Saudi royal shitheads and decide to avoid going for full-on regime change in Syria.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

looks like my friend Jeremy. Rated 5, goldmine, and I'll be subscribing on Patron. :tipshat:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

The best thing that Obama ever did was go against all of his national security shitheads and the Saudi royal shitheads and decide to avoid going for full-on regime change in Syria.

still gave the dipshit fundamentalist rebels hundreds of millions in aid

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yossarian-22 posted:

still gave the dipshit fundamentalist rebels hundreds of millions in aid

Yeah but they just got owned and it was funny. He didn't set out to do that, but I still got a laugh out of it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

gay please

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

How are u posted:

Sometimes it feels like the whole world is a mixed bag, and that things are not really black or white, right or wrong. Makes u think.

so because you personally can’t figure out if destroying an entire region of the world was worth it, we better keep doing it? am i reading that right?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if we destroy enough of it we can just start fresh

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Syrians doing government wrong, someone has to come in and do it for them.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I heard that Syrian expats were being blocked from voting at consulates and embassies, but i haven't pinned down any sources. Anyone got anything?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I heard that Syrian expats were being blocked from voting at consulates and embassies, but i haven't pinned down any sources. Anyone got anything?

why should expats get to vote?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

amazed and devastated that syria isn't a democracy, dunno how i'll handle this news

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Depends on the country it seems. The USA and France are obviously interested in blocking any legitimacy for the Syrian election.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/20/thousands-of-syrian-refugees-and-expats-vote-early-in-lebanon

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

why should expats get to vote?

go ask assad

debates over electoralism aside... it isn't uncommon for people to vote while residing overseas and retaining citizenship (laws depend on jurisdiction). the US requires all citizens residing overseas to file taxes regardless of income or tax liability, as well as report foreign bank accounts etc.; they can vote in federal elections at the very least, and possibly in state and local voting. syria might maintain voting for people living overseas to help encourage currency remittance to syria, and to keep citizens feeling connected to the nation in hopes that they return and more directly contribute to the prosperity of syria.

not all expats are like gusanos, and they make up a minority of the voting populace regardless

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

the heck is a neocampist? a campus student?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
didn't another president in the region get glowing congrats from the US and other worlds leaders when they won with 95% of the vote a year or two ago? I wonder what the difference is

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Yossarian-22 posted:

amazed and devastated that syria isn't a democracy, dunno how i'll handle this news

why have a vote at all then tbf

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

on most issues they're cool and good but they also take the tired line that Assad did nothing wrong.

so on measure they're better than most MSM sources which shill for every war criminal but Assad

He didn’t.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when Obama helped overthrow the only democratically elected president in Egypts history and then started illegally selling weapons to the coup regime

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

go ask assad

debates over electoralism aside... it isn't uncommon for people to vote while residing overseas and retaining citizenship (laws depend on jurisdiction). the US requires all citizens residing overseas to file taxes regardless of income or tax liability, as well as report foreign bank accounts etc.; they can vote in federal elections at the very least, and possibly in state and local voting. syria might maintain voting for people living overseas to help encourage currency remittance to syria, and to keep citizens feeling connected to the nation in hopes that they return and more directly contribute to the prosperity of syria.

not all expats are like gusanos, and they make up a minority of the voting populace regardless

yeah I have to do that poo poo and I’ve never bothered voting from overseas because it’s not like your vote counts for anything federally. If you have to pay taxes you might as well get the right to vote, but that’s literally only the case with the USA and Eritrea. My experience has been watching Erdogan collect shipping containers filled with votes from people who have lived in Europe for 40 years (where they vote left-of-center because the right is too racist) and it’s hosed that some Almanci in Köln has a say in everything ranging from the police state to what time people should be allowed to buy liquor. from an electoral perspective I think it’s loving crazy to let people who don’t have to live somewhere have a say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1401568726332461056?s=20