Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A - Kitty'll explain it, best we not be involved too much in all this.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
B - We have some stake in this. If we're going to be interacting with this guy some, we might as well get a feel for him before diving in.

Also, anti-fate, anti-causality powers seems bonkers powerful, especially combined with the sort of immortal juggernaut powers we already possess

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

alright, vote closed. gonna eat, take a walk, and then maybe get started on writing. B wins

Dr Subterfuge posted:

B - We have some stake in this. If we're going to be interacting with this guy some, we might as well get a feel for him before diving in.

Also, anti-fate, anti-causality powers seems bonkers powerful, especially combined with the sort of immortal juggernaut powers we already possess

wonder why kitty decided to track this guy down, having guessed that the divergence in fate will have granted him potential and the likelihood of developing an especially interesting set of abilities...

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh yeah it's very clear this is a self-interested thing Kitty is doing. We're helping to build the foundation of a very powerful entity that hasn't actually told us what it wants, other than to get powerful. I'm inclined to let it happen though, since it seems interesting.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

That’s a lot to take in. If you’re completely honest with yourself, you aren’t entirely sure you understand it even. Really, this whole thing has been kind of confusing. You guess part of that is that isn’t really your story. You’re more of an observer to this whole thing, with some chance of giving advice.

A part of you wants to continue doing just that. Kitty will make the offer and, knowing Kitty, the boy will most certainly contract. You don’t think familiars really make the offer to people that won’t accept. Similarly, Kitty is giving you the chance to forbid it. He’d remain your exclusive familiar, contracted to nobody else.

He seems completely fine with that as an outcome.

But a part of you… a very large part, you admit… is curious. You really want to see what sort of wish this boy will make. As near as you can tell, the other familiar, Tropos, is aligned with fate in some manner. Or destiny. Or causality. They’re really all the same, to your limited view. The wish their contracted mage made wasn’t really anything malevolent, as near as you can tell. It just twisted on her, forging an unexpected connection and circumstances that weren’t exactly palatable to either.

No, she isn’t to blame, and the boy has certainly had quite the struggle as well. The real one to blame in this situation is Tropos. Either she didn’t care about potential consequences, or she engineered a situation for some reason.

You know familiars get something from the contract. You aren’t entirely sure of what. From what you understand, the wise familiars really figure out their mages before offering the contract. It’s how they know the perfect sell, practically guaranteed to always be accepted. Did Tropos predict the response from the mage, from the boy, all as part of a plot to push them to something?

Did Kitty predict Tropos’ own actions, and in turn slip himself in at the perfect moment, poised to take a rival’s prize?

Really, do you even care? Kitty isn’t the one that made a bad contract and his distaste is evident. At least if it isn’t faked. All he’s doing is offering a way out. Offering it at a critical moment and with you to help sell the whole thing.

What did Tropos call him? “Of Wisdom?” What does that even mean? Does he just think an unfathomable number of steps ahead, not truly seeing the future but having such an incredible understanding that he might as well? Enough to even outplay a familiar rooted in destiny itself?

A shiver runs down your spine. What type of being have you bound yourself to, really?

If Kitty is really rooted in the very concept of “wisdom” then you can’t really hope to outsmart him, if you really want to even. So you’re kind of just getting into your own head again, a bad habit of yours.

What is your decision, my mage?

Kitty’s voice cements your decision. No matter who, Kitty will have planned for it. Whether you want him to join or not–no matter your choice, it’s something he’ll have predicted. So you’ll just do what you think is best.

It isn’t like he’s forcing your choice. He’s just predicting it, based on the circumstances. You’ll just never play chess with him.

“Let me talk to him first,” you say.

Of course.

You let the core of magical power at your center die down, the blood and life and power flowing through your body failing. A part of you idly wonders if this is something akin to death, the sudden weakening of your limbs and loss of clarity. You put that aside as your Anima Garb falls away.

You appear in casual clothes standing before the boy. To his eyes, you simply popped into existence directly next to him. He takes a shocked step back before shouting.

“The gently caress!?”

“Calm yourself,” you tell him. “I’m here to help you out.”

The boy takes a moment to compose himself, his body language practically screaming skepticism. Not that you can really blame him. What encounters with the supernatural he’s had, will not have been very kind to him.

“I know what your problem is, and I can offer a solution, if you want to take it,” you continue.

He lets out a sigh and sits on a nearby bench, offering you a place beside him. You join him. You idly note that you’re maybe an inch or two taller than him and you’re pretty sure he’d be Ellen’s type.

“Look, I don’t know much about any of this poo poo, but I don’t want any ‘help’. Not that I don’t appreciate it, but I’ve had enough of this supernatural bullshit. Fuckin’ hell, can still feel her in my head,” he said. “And everywhere I go, seems like it keeps on reminding me of it, or I keep on finding myself wandering towards her. gently caress, I just wanna be free of this poo poo.”

He lets out a sigh and you find yourself sighing along with him.

“Can’t promise you that, unfortunately,” you replied. “But I think I can set you up with someone that can give you something else, something rarer.”

“Yeah? A million dollars?” he let out a chuckle at his own joke. “But nah, don’t risk your poo poo over me. You don’t even know me, so let it lay. I can get by, I always do.”

So he thinks you’d be at risk somehow? From who?

“I don’t think it’d be risky,” you tell him. “It’ll be fine, and I’ll barely be involved. What I can do is offer you a deal, a contract of sorts. It can give you some agency in all of this, a way to fight whatever mystic bullshit you fell under. I don’t think you need to worry about Ashley–she seems to want you out of this as much as you do, and it’s not like she intended for any of this to happen.”

At that, the small smile that had been on his face fell away.

“So you’re with her, then?” he asks.

You shake your head in denial.

“No, not really. I’d just been doing some good samaritan work in the hospital, healing people with my powers. Like a friendly ghost. But then I found her. She’d been… well, she’d been hurting herself. I really don’t think she wanted this to happen, how she got her powers–let’s just say that she’s been manipulated herself, kinda.”

He leans back in his chair, putting his hands behind his head.

“Kinda like you’re trying to do here, then? I guess it’s a kinder approach than what Ashley did, though that apparently wasn’t intentional. Alright, sell me then. How can this be fixed, and what’ll I have to do for you?”

Something about how he’s phrasing things irks you. You’re trying to help him out, choosing to put yourself out here, so that he’s as little manipulated as possible. And now he’s accusing you of the very thing you’re trying to avoid!

Though, seeing things from his perspective for a moment, you suppose you can see why.

“You’d just have to do like I did, and Ashley did. Though you’ll be working with something more trustworthy than her own companion. You make a contract, and according to your potential, a friend of mine will be able to grant you certain powers and a wish. The wish will help determine your powers,” you say.

Interest is in his eyes when he looks at you.

“So I guess you wanted to heal someone, so you got some sort of healing powers? And I guess turning invisible, or is that just part of the whole package? And she… wanted to date me or some poo poo?” he asks.

Something must of shown in your face because he quickly continues.

“I think I get the jist of it, no need to talk about whatever you did. So I guess I can make a wish to undo this whole thing, and then I’ll get what… anti-power powers? Or something?”

“Or something, if our theory about what happened is right. And we’re pretty certain it is… Kitty isn’t one to be wrong,” you say.
“Alright, well, show me this cat of yours.”

I have been here all along, Jason Rodriguez.

“Holy poo poo,” the boy, Jason, says. “It’s kind of adorable.”

“He’s not an ‘it’,” you tell him. “Or… you aren’t an it, right Kitty?”

Masculine pronouns are preferred though not required.

“Alright, alright. You’re kind of adorable, though. Like one of the stuffed animals my little sister loves so much. So how’s this go, anyway?”

If you wish to enter a contract, make your wish. The wish will actualize your potential, when channeled through myself, and in return you will partake in a hunt at least once a week for the next year. Following this, you will be free to do as you wish.

“A hunt, huh? And what’s that about? Figured you’d, like, make me like healer-girl here,” Jason replies.

She is significantly more than a healer. Which you will learn in time. Her wish colored her magic, just as yours shall. You will use the powers you gain to hunt beings that are often–thought not always–hostile to human life. These beings may be used to further increase your own powers. So make your wish, Jason Rodriguez, and be free of the chains of fate.

“Alright, alright… well, that’s easy enough then. I wish that whatever this bullshit done to me goes away, that I don’t have to deal with it anymore,” Jason says.

Your wish is granted.

Light swirls around Kitty and around Jason. You try to view the contract in your mage sight, but something tells you that will be a very bad idea. Something old, and ancient, and not really under anyone’s control is overseeing this process. Not Kitty, not really. Something far vaster, far more ancient.

When the light show is over, Jason stands before you. He is in golden armor and a wicked sword, etched with silver, with some sort of blue light coating its edges, is in his hand. He seems strong, to be honest. Maybe even stronger than one of the Hearts, and they’ve been at it for a while?

But he’s still weaker than you’ve ever been, you think. No, you know. He’s strong, very strong for a new mage, but not something freakish. What you’re more interested in is the sword.

Something tells you that it would be very bad to be struck by it.

CHOOSE ONE

A. Work with Jason for awhile. Take him on hunts, introduce him around, show him the ropes in general. He may prove to be a strong ally and you’re interested in what sort of anti-causality or anti-fate sort of powers he may have.

B. Cut him loose. You’d rather wash your hands of the whole ordeal, and you’re pretty sure that he’s the independent type.

C. Write-in.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A Probably can't hurt to have someone around that has some sort of cancellation power. depending how it works maybe it'll be an option to help out our vampire pal?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
A

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It takes you a moment to decide. Obviously you're going to take him under your wing. It's awfully cold to simply tell him he's on his own now. And more than that… well, he seems powerful. And powerful allies can be important.

The importance of allies is something you'd been considering lately. Sarah, the Hearts, even Ellen had been of incredible help to you. A lot had changed in your life and you thought you were adjusting to it rather well.

"Feels good, doesn't it?" you ask Jason.

"It's amazing!" he exclaimed. "I feel like I can do anything!"

Your wish has been granted. The connection binding you has been severed.

At Kitty’s words Jason’s grin simpy grows wider.

“So what’s the deal with all of this, then? How does all this hunting stuff work out?” he asks.

“I basically just patrol around the city. I know some mages like to carve out territories but I haven’t really ran into any serious issues yet. Well, there was one bitch, but she’s not a problem anymore,” you reply.

His grin seems to fade a bit at that before returning with a hard edge in it.

“Hardcore. So don’t gently caress with people unless you’re willing to be hosed with back, got it,” he says.

“I’d also suggest finding allies whenever you can. I know there’s some type of Association that exists but I’ve heard bad things about them. They don’t seem to have noticed me yet, at least!”

Thinking about the Association, that’s going to be a concern going forward. A part of you can feel it. You’ve been more active lately and with the death of Queen they’re definitely going to be investigating everything. You know Mark will be doing what he can to not link her death to you but you aren’t comfortable with your position right now.

You need to get stronger and you need to now. And you have one way to grow more powerful.

“Wanna do some hunting, then?” you ask him.

He quickly agrees and you make your way back to the hospital. Jenny declines to join you, instead deciding to get some sleep and then see about getting Bryce comfortable.

The remainder of your time passes quickly. You demonstrate a few of the more common variety of prey–zombies, fairies, minor spirits and ghosts. You even track down a significantly more potent foe, an abomination formed through the natural fusing of countless zombies with spirits. A far more intelligent and resilient foe than most, you had witnessed at least one of Jason’s powers in this fight.

He had been certain to take a blow when a brilliant golden light shone from his breastplate. Before your eyes, the abomination shifted position, as if it had always been there. This left it open to a blow from Jason.

You saw more instances similar to this over the coming days, points where he seemed to twist causality. This applies to his sword as well. You’ve noticed that his blows, as undisciplined as they are, often seems to be “lucky.” Almost as if wherever he strikes inevitably ends up being a weak point.

Something about it is disconcerting. Could his sword penetrate your own immortality? Somehow find its way to the very center of your power? Destroy that tree that grows within your Heart, upend the blood spring?

You decide it isn’t really worth thinking about.

Instead you turn your focus to gathering essence. You think you’re near to the point of your first ascension. According to Kitty, the Heart of Queen will be important during this process.

Yet you also have time for one, perhaps two small projects. What did you focus on during this week, other than the gathering of resources?

A. You attempted to find some sort of cure for Bryce and his vampirism.
B. You sought to get the most out of your Time Affinity, learning how to create minor effects on the fly as opposed to relying on pre-crafted potions and spells.
C. You researched the political situation in the city and making certain your role in the death of Queen is concealed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

and A. Always have an ear open for this

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C we should really have some understanding of this

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C let's avoid getting merked the same way we merked Queen

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Aren't our friends part of the association that can give us a warning if we start getting looked at? I feel if we start looking into it will just put us in the cross hair sooner.

Toughy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 9, 2022

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Ask Kitty if having a more developed Time Affinity would change anything about our first assentation.

Whatever the answer I'm leaning toward C, assuming we talk to Mark instead of bumbling around on our own. We need to make our preparations for the Association before we ascend, since people are going to know someone ascended, and we need some alibi so it isn't obvious we are doing it/did it using Queen's heart if/when the Association comes sniffing. Though if there really is a benefit to locking something in with the time affinity before the first assentation I'd like to do Both.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 9, 2022

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I like B and C, but I think time magic is more important for the first ascension, so I'll vote B..

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

B. But also spend a little time on A if we can, try to at least get some possible leads.

If we’re going to need a cover story for the ascension, it would help to know:
-Are mage hearts always required?
-Would any heart work, or do they need to have a certain power level?
-Would someone with the right magical senses be able to detect anything about the heart that was used?
-Do mages have to die by our hand in order for us to be able to take their heart?

Depending on the answers, we could make up a story about taking the heart of a young mage at the hospital who refused treatment and let themself die. That’s if we end up needing a story, we shouldn’t say anything at all unless the wrong people come asking.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HBar posted:

B. But also spend a little time on A if we can, try to at least get some possible leads.

If we’re going to need a cover story for the ascension, it would help to know:
-Are mage hearts always required?
-Would any heart work, or do they need to have a certain power level?
-Would someone with the right magical senses be able to detect anything about the heart that was used?
-Do mages have to die by our hand in order for us to be able to take their heart?

Depending on the answers, we could make up a story about taking the heart of a young mage at the hospital who refused treatment and let themself die. That’s if we end up needing a story, we shouldn’t say anything at all unless the wrong people come asking.

Mage hearts are not always required, but they do enhance the process. No, you don't need a certain power level, but the stronger the better. However, quantity can have a quality all on its own. Yes, somebody could potentially pick out the Heart used, but that's actually very rare and usually requires some sort of prep. No, any hearts will do.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

You consider your options. Bryce is important but stable. A small part of yourself, that bit of you always introspecting, feels some guilt. His problem was important but… was it really something you could afford to focus on?

You needed power. Strength to not be constrained, to never be feeble or bed-ridden again.

Above all you craved agency.

Queen's death could be a problem you were sure. But not in the immediate sense. Mark had that covered for now and let you know if anything changed.

What you needed was strength. And one option shone above others. You had been considering it for some time. Taking the golden threads of time and twisting them. Not in a careful–almost ritualistic–manner. No, you wanted to be able to manipulate them on the fly, if only to a minor degree.

Of course that has it's own set of problems. Your Time Affinity felt much like the rest of them. Internally focused, preserving yourself. That had its own benefits of course.

The fabric of space-time refusing to be changed, at least when it came to you, had its own charm. So did eternal youth.

But using it to accelerate yourself or slow your enemies, even freezing them in stasis… the advantages didn't need to be stated.

All of this and more is going through your head as you finally fall asleep. Your parents had barely acknowledged you, caught up in some sort of bickering, when you had come home…

School the next day goes well. Ellen suggests the two of you go shopping but you had begged off, anxious to begin the work on your new time magic.

Mark and Kate wave you down as you prepare to leave.

"Jessie!" he calls to you. "Glad I found you! The Association, it's mostly following dead ends for Queen right now, but I think we have a problem."

That doesn't sound good.

"What's that?" you ask.

"So, right now it's all fine, but they're real interested in solving this. The Head has started to poke his nose into it. hosed if I know why–mind mages are rare, but not that rare. They almost always betray you in the end too, at least if they focus on other people instead of just themselves. Brought in some outsider–Scarlet Raiment is his nickname–and he's got a real keen magic sense. They're gonna try to trace you I think. I'm gonna work on what I can to misdirect them, maybe see if I can cook up some kind of concealment for you too. Just keep your eyes open."

None of that sounds good…

You thank Mark and head out to your workshop. Your trophy room, settled into a side room, has grown more cluttered as of late. Several zombie skulls, a jar of ectoplasm, fairy dust… and in the center of it all, still beating faintly, a purple-tinged heart ripped from your enemy's corpse.

You turn away from it for now. No use thinking about it now, you did what needed to be done.

The rest of the evening goes well. You make progress on an idea you had, inspired by your workshop's "time chamber." You begin a tedious process of making small changes to your Anima Garb, small runes stitched in golden thread, visibly glowing with power.

You make similar alterations to your Anima Rod, gun and chain sword both. Etched in gold are runes to accelerate your swings and bullets.

You can also create a small bubble of accelerated time around yourself. When activated it is as if the world slows to your eyes.

You know it is not enough though. You enter a meditative state, gaining gradual awareness of yourself in its totality. Including your magic, settled in a pool at your chest.

You find yourself in that strange internal world once again, a massive tree being watered by a spring of blood. And a single golden fruit, ripe and ready to eat. Something in you is compelled to reach out and eat. The only question is… do you?

CHOOSE ONE

A. Yes, eat it and grow great. You don't entirely understand it, the last time you ate one something strange happened. But if anything can increase your skill in Time, it is this.

B. Pluck a different fruit… something more fleshy. A slower path to strength, you think, but more stable.

C. Discard both, your runes are capable enough. Something in you rebels at letting such ripe fruit go to waste… but another part wonders of they may yet grow

CHOOSE ONE

D. Jessie will be undergoing her first ascension shortly. She yet has room to grow as a novice mage, yet the benefits of the first ascension are not to be ignored. Rather than gain further strength, she will utilize Queen's Heart to ascend in the next week.

E. Jessie will delay her ascension, slowly growing her power and mastering her skills to the limits of the novice stage. A stronger foundation leads to a stronger ascension…

F. Jessie will go on a spree, hunting several powerful creatures, using their reagents to rapidly advance in strength. She will then ascend at the end of the week, though she may gain extra attention…

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

E

Ask Kitty if our setup is scry proof and work on making our hideout and queens heart undetectable. maybe a pocket away from time.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Toughy posted:

B

E

Ask Kitty if our setup is scry proof and work on making our hideout and queens heart undetectable. maybe a pocket away from time.
Plan Toughy

For reference, here's what happened the last time we ate a golden fruit. We might not be so lucky next time, at least not until we're more advanced:

SerSpook posted:

You reach out and pluck the golden fruit from the tree. It almost seems to vibrate in your hand and your headache redoubles in intensity.

You bring the fruit to your mouth and you take a single bite.

The first sensation is blood dripping down your face.

The second is a numbness in your whole being.

The third is nothingness.

You are not prepared. Time, that most elusive of concepts, does not come easily. It is a struggle. An inexorable battle against your own mind and preconceptions. Causality is but an illusion, when viewed from a certain angle.

But you do not sit from that angle. You are contained wholly within the great ouroboros of existence. You are not yet Separate from the world.

jessie?

wh*# @$@ yo( @(?

...ready...

You existence is pain. Agony fills you. Your head feels fit to bursting. Realization of the nature of reality bombards you. The falseness of paradox is within your grasp but fleeing. You cannot hope to contain it all.

You will not be stopped by something so mundane as time. You steel your will and fight against the overwhelming flow of information. You may not grasp it all. But you will grasp something. A single trick, stolen from yourself of the now-that-is-not-but-will/could/shall/may-be.

e: So on impulse I did some rolls for this, because time isn't exactly as easy or intuitive as Jessie's other affinities (body is just very simple, and life and blood are intrinsically tied to her and higher level to boot). Out of 5 dice, not a single roll over 10. I decided gently caress it, let's roll for sanity damage. It was a natural 1 (seen here) Then I discarded those rolls because I'm not punishing you for that poo poo, I'd kinda been hoping for really good rolls. You get the basic result I'd originally planned on for loving with time.

SerSpook posted:

You reach out and skim the barest surface of something so profound words escape you. A momentary connection that lasts an eternity is established with... something, or someone, and for the barest of instances you understand.

You know what is to come. Then it escapes you.

You know what has been. Then it escapes you.

Paradox encompasses your existence.

You know that a great risk has been taken. Not by you (or by you? you don't understand). The danger has passed.

The first thing to return to you is the sensation of your body. An incredible pain from your head. Warmth on your face.

The next is sight. The light feels like shards of glass piercing your eyes. You close them but it does little to shield you.

Finally comes your mind. Beyond simple sensation, your sense of self emerges. A pattern to interpret the world around you, filter it, arrive at conclusions.

"I think... I made a mistake," you say to nobody in particular.

Doubtlessly. You are not ready to take hold of first order elements yet, comes Kitty's reply.

You take a moment to consider this. First order elements? The term is new to you and so you ask about it.

Elements may be ranked according to their importance in the underpinnings of the world. Time is of the first order, alongside Space, Matter, Energy, Creation, and Destruction. It is exceptionally rare. Mortal minds are not meant to understand it. But, I suppose you are not quite mortal anymore, are you?

Not quite mortal? You aren't sure what to think of that.

Of the second order are other broadly important items, such as gravity, electromagnetism, as well as the weak and the strong force. Of course, there are others here as well, but they have little to do with you. Your life affinity falls within the third order, with your blood affinity being of the fourth. Body is of the fifth. Past this point, elements become more rooted in individual societies--ideas such as "sword" or "gun". Most lifeforms may only grasp up to the third order and the simplest time is had with those of the fourth and below. You are an anomaly, at least for such a young mage.

Well isn't that interesting?

"So you're saying that I shouldn't have an understanding of Time?"

Hmmmm. Not quite. It is not uncommon for a mage to have a very crude grasp of first or second order elements. However, to advance this understanding is considerably difficult, at least until one becomes an Archmage. A simple trick or two might be possible, and simple projects, but actual understanding? It is unheard of. As expected of my mage. I did detect a temporal paradox form, but it quickly dissipated. It might have been what allowed for this... unique circumstance.

You take a moment to process what has happened. Something about what happened feels important, beyond what Kitty has said. You aren't entirely sure what. Maybe it has something to do with the paradox Kitty mentioned? Either way, wherever you turn your gaze, information enters you mind. Small bits and pieces, frankly you aren't sure how it could even be useful. How long something has stayed unmoved, a brief feeling of "history" about the morgue you stand in, a weight. It's difficult to describe and you suspect you will be spending plenty of time looking into this.

Lesser Time Affinity has advanced to Basic Time Affinity

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
BE

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Toughy posted:

B

E

This

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

plan toughy

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
A, E, and Toughy's plan to make our workshop more hidden.

I'm going with A over B for the first choice, as we need a quick power-injection now, to improve the effects of our ascension. Unlike the second choice's F, which is highly visible to other mages at a time we need to lay low, eating the time-fruit is purely an internal experience, and thus, less likely to draw attention.

Aside from that, I feel like the sooner we get our time magic powerful enough, the less trouble we'll be in when the Association finds out about us. Sooner or later, they will find out about us, and when they do, I want us to be strong enough that their first reaction isn't "How do we destroy this mage before they become a threat?", and is instead, "What can we do to avoid a fight with this threat?"

We don't need to be strong enough to beat the whole Association, just strong enough to make it not cost-effective to fight us.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
BE

Take it easy, ascension is a marathon, not a sprint.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
ae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Just as an update, I've gotten some new software that I'm using for outlining and writing. I didn't really have many notes for this project and what I did have was pretty haphazard, but I've been gradually adding to and expanding it. Most of it is stuff that I've had fleshed out but not really written down anymore. I expect there will be fewer loose ends laying around once I finish this process.

Currently I'm expanding out what the final mini-arcs might be before we meet our next major villain and progress with the story proper. I expect to have an update for you within the next few days and, from there, I think we'll be advancing considerably faster.