Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR

GET WEIRD IN PUBLIC
CHOOSE YOUR OWN FAMILY, IT'S OKAY
gently caress CORPORATIONS, NO RAINBOW CAPITALISM
GET MARRIED OR DON'T BUT AT LEAST IT'S AN OPTION IN SOME PLACES NOW
EAT HOPES, poo poo DREAMS
HAVE ALL THE PARTNERS YOU WANT OR NONE AT ALL
KINK IS VALID
ACE/AROS ARE VALID TOO
DON'T EAT THINGS YOU FIND ON THE GROUND IN THE CASTRO
I'M GAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I loving LOVE this. Did you do this?

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Mormon Nailer posted:

I loving LOVE this. Did you do this?

No, I wish.

It's a two-spirit flag I found on Google

https://www.liveloudgraphics.com/two-spirited-ornamental-flag.html

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Things to do to make the world a little queerer:

Exist

Heather Papps

hello friend

hello my sexual proclivities have never really been outlawed but i have had long hair my whole life which resulted in being called slurs a lot as a youth but any ways i'm doing the ally thing!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I'm actin' up a wife over here

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hell yeah!!!! I just called my wife to remind her of both Pride and WRATH and she was like "oh hell yeah let's burn a couch."

I'm so proud. You can take the girl out of the Midwest but you can't the Midwest out of the girl.

How Wonderful!

I have done many of the main lesbian things today such as owning a house in Vermont, complaining about analysis in a Subaru, getting called Auntie, appreciating a boat, and apologizing to a neighbor about my dog's disgraceful caterwauling.

How Wonderful!

obviously this is regional there are over 20 main things a lesbian can do (kick-flips, ollies, making guacamole, making... love, making a poem, dreaming about sparrows, etc.)

Heather Papps

hello friend

How Wonderful! posted:

I have done many of the main lesbian things today such as owning a house in Vermont, complaining about analysis in a Subaru, getting called Auntie, appreciating a boat, and apologizing to a neighbor about my dog's disgraceful caterwauling.

don't forget about

How Wonderful! posted:

gaily trying to rent a U-Haul, fa sol la mi

!!!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

How Wonderful!

I actually failed to rent a U-Haul, they were all out of pickups and I didn't want to pay for a box truck just to drive five minutes and pick up an elliptical.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
hi gay I'm dad :dadjoke:

biosterous

i'm bi

i'ms so straight-passing that even i didn't realize until i was in my 30s though :v:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

wimsy

In honor of pride here's a part of a book I just read which seems kind of queer

quote:

One boy in particular made a deep impression on me because of how delicate his face and hands were, and the softness of his movements and the voice that came from his lips. He was exactly like a girl, dressed always in soft fabrics, and with the teachers he enjoyed a respect that bewildered me. I felt a pathological longing to have him deign to speak to me, and was overjoyed when one day he suddenly addressed me before the window of a stationery store. He flattered me, saying I wrote so beautifully, and that he wished his own handwriting were that beautiful. How it delighted me to be superior in at least this one respect to this young god of a boy, and I fended off his compliments blissfully blushing. That smile! I can still remember how he smiled. For a long time his mother was my dream. I overvalued her to the detriment of my own mother. How unjust! This boy was attacked by several pranksters in our class who put their heads together and declared him to be a girl, a real one just dressed up in boy’s clothes. Naturally this was pure nonsense, but the claim struck me like a thunderbolt, and for a long time I imagined I ought to be worshiping this boy as a girl in disguise. His overripe figure provided ample fodder for my high-strung romantic sentiments.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

oh I'm so gay you're calling the cops? go ahead, I'll have sex with them

How Wonderful!

wimsy posted:

In honor of pride here's a part of a book I just read which seems kind of queer

The Tanners is so good. I was unpacking some boxes of books today and found like half of my Walser books and I'm considering rereading all of them.

wimsy

How Wonderful! posted:

The Tanners is so good. I was unpacking some boxes of books today and found like half of my Walser books and I'm considering rereading all of them.

Yeah it's the first book I've read by him and I love it. I have a collection of his short stories too but I'm starting with the novel. I'm also reading Susan Bernofsky's biography of Walser, Clairvoyant of the Small which I guess just came out? I was reading The Tanners and I was like wow this is good I should read an article or two to give me some background on Walser and when I hit JSTOR for some stuff, a bunch of chapters from Bernofsky's book came up so that's what I went with, but the book itself came out last week apparently.

Sorry to digress from the Pridetalk. To bring it back around, who is the coolest queer character in all of literature?

more falafel please

forums poster

i;m gay

specifically I'm queer and do weird stuff with multiple people and while my presentation doesn't usually give it away I've got a case of The Gender

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

june (and September) is usually the time when I go camping for a week with a couple hundred weirdos and do weird poo poo in the woods with them and wear our best leather or nothing and burn all our cares in a big ritual bonfire and scream at the moon in southern Indiana, and for obvious reasons we couldn't do it last year, or this year. so I miss that poo poo real bad

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I, too, have a case of The Gender. I'm gender mysterious. It's complicated and I don't really have a grasp on how that exactly could be interpreted externally to other people.

I also do things with a rather extensive group of people. I have a wife in California. There are calendars and zoom meetings and stuff.

I go to the woods a lot with people and practice an esoteric method of thinking about things.

more falafel please

forums poster

How Wonderful! posted:

I actually failed to rent a U-Haul, they were all out of pickups and I didn't want to pay for a box truck just to drive five minutes and pick up an elliptical.

if you have just a quick trip to make I can recommend renting a flatbed pickup from a Home Depot or menards or whatever you got out there. it's usually like $20 for up to 75 minutes. you do need a credit card that's in the same name as your license which can be a problem for The Gays sometimes

How Wonderful!

more falafel please posted:

if you have just a quick trip to make I can recommend renting a flatbed pickup from a Home Depot or menards or whatever you got out there. it's usually like $20 for up to 75 minutes. you do need a credit card that's in the same name as your license which can be a problem for The Gays sometimes

I only have a card under my old name (& just maiden name come to think of it) but I wound up being able to get a pickup to use on Wednesday so it's fine.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
HELL YES IT'S GAY CHRISTMAS :neckbeard:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Escape From Noise

I'm also white bread straight, but I am wishing you all a very happy pride.

How Wonderful!

wimsy posted:

Sorry to digress from the Pridetalk. To bring it back around, who is the coolest queer character in all of literature?

I count the version of Margery Kempe in Bob Gluck's novel Margery Kempe. He also does some really interesting stuff with the idea of a "pre-gender" Christ that when I first read the book was super consonant with things I was working on and thinking about at the time in the early days of my grad studies. I also think Orlando in Virginia Woolf's Orlando is really cool.

Here's a little sum-up of it provided by Gluck in a recent interview:

quote:

Q: The feminization of Christ — his broad hips, his nipples, the way he is sometimes literally compared to a woman — fascinated me. How did readers take this, as well as the unconventionality, if not queerness, of his sex with Margery, when the book was first published?
A: In the Middle Ages, Jesus enjoyed the fluidity of premodern gender. There was Christ the Maiden, even Christ the Mother. The French mystic, Marguerite of Oingt prayed, “Jesus you are my mother!” There is plenty of scholarship on the gender and sexuality of Jesus. I wanted the gods — Mary and Jesus, the saints — to experience “suddenly” having a body. They want to take that new body out for a spin to see what it can do. Margery and I merge.

I don't know much about this genre and I've never read this book but I'm very fascinated by this Chinese wuxia novel serialized in the late 60s called The Smiling, Proud Wanderer. One of the antagonists in it is this martial arts master named Dongfang Bubai, who learned that there was a certain fighting technique that you could only learn by castrating yourself/becoming a woman (the impression I get is that older adaptations treat Dongfang Bubai as a eunuch, newer ones as a trans woman). So there's this really awesome trans fighter running around throwing needles at people. I don't think the novel has ever been translated into a language I can read but I really want to read it.

When I was a kid I was also really fixated on Ozma of Oz from the later very weird Oz books. Ozma was a princess who was tragically turned into a boy by some kind of spell and could only become wise and beautiful again by turning back, which of course she does. When I was really little I read that book tons of times wondering if that kind of stuff really happened and how you'd know if it had happened to you. C'est la guerre I guess.

There are also a bunch of Henry James characters I'm fascinated by where he was clearly working something out or projecting. I could read The Bostonians and The Sacred Fount over and over. Dr. Prance in the former is such a weird and fascinating character... it's such a virulently misogynist novel in some ways but James clearly adores this androgynous, witty, ruthless woman doctor that he's come up with. She's really of course just on the margins of the novel hanging around but it's like she has a magnet tied around her head and James just has to exert everything he has as an author to not go zipping back to wherever she is. I love that kind of stuff.

selan dyin

im proud of being GAY AS poo poo

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

BALLS DILDO posted:

im proud of being GAY AS poo poo

:hmmyes:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

How Wonderful!

I forgot my main homegirl, Albertine from Proust. And if we count memoirs, Lou Sullivan or the H.D. of her autobiographical writings.

I was thinking about this question in the tub and I felt guilty that while I could name half a dozen really great trans novels I could not really say any of the characters from those novels were particularly interesting to me. I think maybe that's a symptom of where queer literature has been at for the past century and change-- it's interest is so often either on the communal or the apersonal (I guess that's how I'd describe like... Dennis Cooper or Kathy Acker, this sense of queerness as self-obliterating given a very hetero and reproductive notion of "self") or so feverishly psychoanalytical (Therese from The Price of Salt is so busy being made legible by Highsmith that she winds up boring, for example) that they don't have the veneer of glossy prickliness that I really feel drawn to in literary characters.

I think Albertine is everything Proust can't excavate from himself, she's everything he can't figure out how to articulate out of his own proxied mouth, put into the form of that most inscrutable artifact to Proust, a woman. I think she's really fascinating from a trans perspective-- this riddle of do I want this person, do I want to resemble this person, what via Proust imagining the locked off parts of his brain as a woman, as well as transposing all his woes and regrets about his dead ex-boyfriend into the imaginary figure of the dead ex-girlfriend. I like that, like Dr. Prance, the narrative slides right off her, but stubborn Proust keeps trying to fling himself at that surface for a billion pages where James discreetly surrendered. I like the same thing about Giovanni in Giovanni's Room, how Baldwin has to reinvent his relationship to desire as the desire of a white guy in order to make sense of how monstrous the loved one has to be for him. It's that complicated ugliness that the writer has to swerve away from or recoil from. I mean also the way that Alison Bechdel fictionalizes herself in her autobiographical stuff-- this system where it's more comfortable to examine autobiography at the hyper-granular because a total comprehension of the self would burn too much, which I think in her books is extremely moving and incisive. I think if the reader or the author can survive sustained eye contact with a character I'm just not that interested.

eg. I think "the trans novel" right now is too occupied as a form with making trans characters legible to cis readers or trying to articulate a general theory of trans subjectivity to trans readers. It all feels like prolegomena to whatever comes next, and I feel like poetry is a little bit ahead of the curve here, people like Julian T. Brolaski or jos charles or Nora Fulton who are really trying to concoct a trans linguistic universe and dwell in there. It's like... how many truly great gay novels were there without like, John Ashbery, Frank O'Hara, etc.? Some for sure but I think the watershed moment was New Narrative. I really believe that for the floodgates to open there had to be that poetic structuring of like, here's what the landscape is going to look like, here's the lexicon, here's how image will work.

So I think that's how come I had such bad answers at first.

Goons Are Gifts

hello I'm gay and I find literally everyone itt very sexy I mean god drat you should be proud of your beauty, too

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Goons Are Great posted:

hello I'm gay and I find literally everyone itt very sexy I mean god drat you should be proud of your beauty, too

Would you describe yourself as buttsexual? :thunkher:

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

im gay

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

alexandriao

helo,,,, it is me,,,, the ur-gay. im everythimg that gay is and was and will be, except only after 10am because im a sleep binch. also i take weekends off,,, ask me anything

wimsy

How Wonderful! posted:

eg. I think "the trans novel" right now is too occupied as a form with making trans characters legible to cis readers or trying to articulate a general theory of trans subjectivity to trans readers. It all feels like prolegomena to whatever comes next, and I feel like poetry is a little bit ahead of the curve here, people like Julian T. Brolaski or jos charles or Nora Fulton who are really trying to concoct a trans linguistic universe and dwell in there. It's like... how many truly great gay novels were there without like, John Ashbery, Frank O'Hara, etc.? Some for sure but I think the watershed moment was New Narrative. I really believe that for the floodgates to open there had to be that poetic structuring of like, here's what the landscape is going to look like, here's the lexicon, here's how image will work.

I'm glad I asked the question because that is a really interesting answer. Did anyone ever tell you you should teach this stuff? ;)

I love love poetry so your positioning of poetry in the linguistic vanguard makes me happy (and also has plenty of historical evidence behind it) but because I love it I always end up being skeptical of any positive claims made for it because I just want to accept them uncritically. In this case though I do think that lyric poetry obviously has a special place in the representation of subjectivity and the problem of trans characters you're talking about is kind of an...incomplete?... integration of the social into the subjective such that the social ends up mediating between the audience and the character. You're not in the situation of the classic modernist novels of subjectivity, there hasn't been (that I know of) yet a queer Leopold Bloom or Moses Herzog or Clarissa Dalloway. Maybe the assumption of the social that makes those novels possible just doesn't exist anymore idk.

Orlando is a good choice though. Speaking of Woolf and prickly queer characters, Neville's bits are my favorite part of The Waves.

The Invisibles has a *lot* of problems but I gotta admit a real soft spot for Lord Fanny.

biosterous

alexandriao posted:

helo,,,, it is me,,,, the ur-gay. im everythimg that gay is and was and will be, except only after 10am because im a sleep binch. also i take weekends off,,, ask me anything

can you draw a dragon

can you draw drag

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

one of the funniest things about me taking forever to realize i'm bi is that i can say, with actual sincerity, that pro wrestling turned me gay

ok it's actually more roundabout than that.

so for many years my brain would occasionally nudge me and say "you are gay you are bi you like dudes" and i would have to reply with "ok that's fine but if that's the case why aren't any of the dudes attractive though, how do you answer that brain?" the turning point was lurking the queerchat thread in fight island, and somebody posted something that made a lot of sense and suddenly things clicked into place.

so yeah i'm gay because of something awful and pro wrestling, i think that makes me pretty powerful actually

gallery of sigs

he/him

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Thanks for the close up of the unicorn crapping

cruft

Hello everybody! I'm not gay either, probably, but I'm proud of all my orbs, just for being you.

How Wonderful! posted:

I forgot my main homegirl, Albertine from Proust. And if we count memoirs, Lou Sullivan or the H.D. of her autobiographical writings.

If folks wants to keep telling us cool stuff about historical spirituality and gender I am :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

biosterous posted:

pro wrestling turned me gay

This is the best sentence I have ever read