Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I have, but maybe I'll reinstall it. I never played the fourth character.

I think that one is probably my second favorite to play. I just got into the game though and I'm horrible at it.

Edit: 2 in one day! Achievement unlocked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Does Prey (2017) count?

Prey Mooncrash has a derelict moon!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rinkles posted:

such an awesome opening

What DS2 did with showing the Ishimura in the background for the first part of the game, reminding you of everything in it, then ultimately forcing you to go back only for it to play entirely on your memories of it was so god damned cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said it before but the Return to the Ishimura section of Dead Space 2 is one of the best sequences of its generation

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Walla posted:

I think that one is probably my second favorite to play. I just got into the game though and I'm horrible at it.

Edit: 2 in one day! Achievement unlocked!

The Watcher is great because playing her I go "yeah I can probably kill it during this turn" without doing the math

then the enemy survives with one hp and I die instantly

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finished Enslaved last night. Man if you had given me infinite guesses what was inside of that Pyramid I would have never guessed (ending spoilers) real life Andy Serkis talking to in-game Andy Serkis about The Matrix.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Farm Simulator got a CGI trailer... which is a thing that now exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg9VPiUtaic

I get that it's 'popular', but CGI trailer level popular? :psyduck:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Andrast posted:

The Watcher is great because playing her I go "yeah I can probably kill it during this turn" without doing the math

then the enemy survives with one hp and I die instantly

That's me with everyone. :)

The Defect is my favorite. It's the only one I've reached the Heart with and I've killed the Time Wizard and Awakened One. I can never get enough damage stack or draw with the others.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Farm Simulator got a CGI trailer... which is a thing that now exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg9VPiUtaic

I get that it's 'popular', but CGI trailer level popular? :psyduck:

Germany is a big country

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The bad Dino Crisis game and the good Lone Echo both have derelect spaceships as their setting for the bulk of the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also I like the Silent and the Ironclad, Ironclad is probably the easiest to play because its just "get stronk", making a deck with him is easy and straightforward and barely requires thinking or luck, just dont pick bad cards and grab strength and healing.

The Silent meanwhile has my favorite play style of "I am going to play my entire deck

three times, this round"

The Watcher I've never been able to figure out and I was happy to beat it with her and never use her again, the Defect is... fine, I guess.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 22, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Way back when I first played Starcraft 2, I wondered if In Utter Darkness would be an utter cakewalk if you played as Terran for it.

Recently, I learned for a set of custom campaigns that let you play any campaign as any race.

As Wings of Liberty: Protoss Edition would be redundant you still played Protoss during the Zeratul missions, it has you play as Terran instead.

Turns out I was right. The only reason I lost is because I ran out of minerals to repair with.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I got Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 last night for cheap on the Switch. Its writing is incredibly dumb, but kind of in a charming way?

In the game’s logic, characters can communicate their emotions and large swaths of exposition to one another simply by having a puzzle battle instead of talking.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

quote:

Its writing is incredibly dumb

I sure come to puzzle games for the...writing?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the story in Kirby's Avalanche loving SUCKS

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
the tetrominos, their story made me cry

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the tetrominos, their story made me cry

L-block's personal dilemmas and eventual redemption were riveting

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the last guardian is a puzzle game

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

There’s a story mode! It’s got like a hundred characters! Sonic is in it (the game, not the story, unless I’m in for a surprise)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

L-block's personal dilemmas and eventual redemption were riveting

:hmmyes:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the last guardian is a puzzle game

:hmmno:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wuggles posted:

There’s a story mode! It’s got like a hundred characters! Sonic is in it (the game, not the story, unless I’m in for a surprise)

If you play as him he says 'heh' every time you get a line clear

Heh
Heh
Heh
Heh
Heh
Heh

He starts to sing a SA2 song if he wins lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

doom eternal is a puzzle game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Chess is a platformer

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

doom eternal is a puzzle game

Sure and Doom Eternal barely needs any writing other than "Doomguy is cool and mad as heck at demons"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VideoGames posted:

Chess is a platformer

chess is actually just a bad autochess

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Aren’t you the least bit curious how Puyo met Tetris (a second time)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is like the Pokemon story debate. If Pokemon wants me to forgive it for having an incredibly basic and boring story they shouldn't give characters four thousand lines of dialogue and make cutscenes unskippable. If you're gonna force me to sit through characters talking all the time it better be at least okay

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

You joke, but like... Return of the Obra Dinn, baby

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

unlike Pokémon PPT2 doesn’t force you to sit through hours of handholding to play the game, +/Start skips all the dialogue

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

Aren’t you the least bit curious how Puyo met Tetris (a second time)

No, not even in the slightest. That poo poo sits in the way of playing more Puyo Puyo Tetris.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is like the Pokemon story debate. If Pokemon wants me to forgive it for having an incredibly basic and boring story they shouldn't give characters four thousand lines of dialogue and make cutscenes unskippable. If you're gonna force me to sit through characters talking all the time it better be at least okay

you know what

yeah.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

you can also, before you even get to the main menu, just click “Tetris” or “Puyo” to play an endless mode of one of those which I think is cool if you just want to jump right in

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

You joke, but like... Return of the Obra Dinn, baby

I'd say Obra Dinn is more of an investigation game than a puzzle game but that's probably just genre tedium.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I guess I'd call Obra Dinn a puzzle game, but you do have to separate that from Tetris and the like

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I guess I'd call Obra Dinn a puzzle game, but you do have to separate that from Tetris and the like

this is something I am frustrated by in storefronts

usually when I say I want to play a puzzle game I mean something like Tetris/Lumines/Picross, no offense to The Witness/Baba/Obra Dinn side of the genre

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
like onions, and ogres, the puzzle genre has layers

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

this is something I am frustrated by in storefronts

usually when I say I want to play a puzzle game I mean something like Tetris/Lumines/Picross, no offense to The Witness/Baba/Obra Dinn side of the genre

See also roleplaying games, for example. Video game genre stuff is stuck 30 years in the past and seems to be nearly meaningless other than camera perspective at this point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like to invent genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Tetris is a Construction Waste Removal simulator.