Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Dragon's Quest XI: My first proper 'I am actually trying here' foray into jRPGs. This is cute and happy and I think that is going a long way for me. Also that you can run around during the wait battles. I went with the English voices and as soon as I heard Gemma's twang of west country Bristolian I knew I made the right choice :D Lady VG and I did get sad when she runs away crying because I have to go off into the real world to find my destiny. That is where we paused for the evening.

Very much looking forward to your posts as you proceed through the game.
Gemma is too pure and good for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Having fun posting with folks in Unconventional Games

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Video games and board games contain art but are not art themselves.

Therefore, games are museums.

I will be taking no further questions at this time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What’s TR

*wearily* Not much, what's TR with you?

Turkey

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

It's a very frustrating thing to be alone in a world, trying every day to make friends (real or virtual), and still not having any.

So prolly not

"Lol"

Hey, a few pages late from timezone differences but I'm sorry to read that you're struggling at the moment and I hope things get better for you.

What have you been playing recently? Anything interesting you'd recommend?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

homeless snail posted:

yuji naka works for stadia now, they saw the sales for balan and were very impressed

lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I do not skip posts in the chat thread because I am a Poster of Integrity

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

0 new posts what'd I miss

the bottom of the last page

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Zonic Thedgehog

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So like, two days late but work was busy enough this week that I didn't have much time for anything but pithy drive by shitposts.

Danganronpa 2 Chapter 2!

Super loving glad that after expressing how tedious I found the Mikan fanservice that the game dialled it back.
Then gave several long swooping shots of the the female cast in bikinis. Ugh.

Maxed out the report card for Chiaki, she's still best girl and must be protected at all costs.

I'm not sure how I feel about the murder in this chapter. It sucks that ------Mahiru ------- bit it because I was going to build up the relationship meter with them, they seemed interesting. WELP TOO LATE.
Maybe I'll swing over to befriending Nagito, I want to see how deep his crazy runs

I had to laugh when it looked like this was going to swing straight back into "actually, it was a teenage serial killer" given how utterly ridiculous that got in the first game, and I suppose it actually turning out to "just" be a emotionless 100% loyal Yakuza swordswoman bodyguard is...uh......actually that's about as batshit insane too. I think enjoying the storytelling in these games requires a certain level of buy in on the part of the player because none of this is grounded in any sort of reality. That doesn't make it bad, and I'm enjoying it for what it is, but I could see how that could be offputting for someone. Fuyuhiko getting caught up in the punishment was an interesting twist, interested to see what happens when/if he returns later - hopefully he'll have grown a personality beyond telling people to gently caress off.

I really enjoyed the fake Japanese adventure/horror game, little touches in there like the heartbeat meter felt great.

In terms of trial mechanics, I don't think I ever would have picked "Jeff Minter snowboard tube racer" as a mechanic but it's pretty enjoyable!

Best Girl: Chiaki
Worst Girl: Still Mikan, but Hiyoko is aggravating me more as time goes on too.

Best Guy: Nekomaru's still my man, though it feels like he didn't get a ton to do this chapter. I'd say I hope there's more focus on him soon but in Danganronpa that tends to be, uh, fatal.
Worst Guy: Kazuichi's "let's sexually harrass the women" attitude is wearing mighty thin.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Chev posted:

Half-fake! It's a fake spinoff of a real series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Syndrome

Oh drat, that’s awesome! It’s a shame they’ve never been localised, I’ll have to go digging and see if any of them got fan translations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Danganronpa 2 End of Chapter 3 spoilers

NEKOMARU NIDAI IS A loving ROBOT I LOVE THIS DUMB SERIES SO MUCH

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I finished up Danganronpa 2 last night and lmfao

Mode 7 back in his initial impressions posted:

As for the PC, I wonder if his Ultimate ability might actually have been Ultimate Despair given that he's such a massive downer/pessimist but maybe the magic memory erasing drugs hosed him up harder than he thought. Also, guessing the "island" is some sort of digital simulation - just guessing from the whole Usagi turning a chicken into a cow thing.

Truly, my power to predict bullshit anime tropes knows no bounds. I mean he's not THE Ultimate Despair but he's AN Ultimate Despair so I'm still calling that a win. :colbert:

I'm still digesting my thoughts on the game. I think Chapter 5 Nagito's poison gas murder plan is one of the highlights. I'd had suspicions about who the traitor was for some time, because they felt like the only remaining character who had any sort of real agency. As soon as the diary entry was discovered I knew that was the proof and I had to face the fact that best girl Chiaki was the traitor, but then it turns out she was on our side anyway, and also not real, but real because of the memories she left in our hearts so hey all good. She deserved better than getting crushed by a giant Tetris block though.

When the game goes off the rails with the digital simulation breaking the gently caress down and getting weird as you navigate through Hope's Peak Academy, that was cute, but god I pity anyone who didn't play Danganronpa 1 trying to wrap their heads around what the gently caress happens from here on afterwards. Hell, I played Danganronpa 1 and I was still struggling to remember concrete details.

For all the things I enjoyed, there's something about the game as a whole that left a bad taste in my mouth. Something about the writing felt more... mean-spirited, I think, is the phrase I'm looking for, compared to the first game. This might just be me looking back at the first game with a kinder lens than it deserves - it's not like the writing was stunning there either and it's been a while since I played it. The fan service was gratuitous, there were a number of lovely "jokes" like Monokuma threatening Monomi with a random amount of "sex change operations", I didn't mind either Monokuma or Monomi individually but any time they were talking to each other it felt like it sucked all the pacing out of the room.

The ending obviously implies that despite their island memories being erased, Hajime & co. remember something of their pre-Despair selves and will slowly recover but also we're talking about people who explicitly have mutilated their own bodies but leaving that aside murdered their friends, their own family and potentially hundreds if not thousands of others. There's no real acknowledgement of their accountability for that or any sense of how they begin atoning for something like that. It's tremendously hosed up and brushed aside as well they were mind controlled by capital-D Despair which feels lazy as gently caress and unsatisfying when superhero media does it and is still incredibly unsatisfying here.

I don't know if some of this gets covered in supplemental media. I know there's a story-relevant spin off game called Ultra Despair Girls - it's a 3rd person shooter that also apparently contains some real gross fanservice poo poo so I'll read a story recap for that and move on I think, and then apparently the story gets closed out by an anime which....alright, fine. On the one hand I want to see how this all concludes, on the other if they don't stick the landing I don't know that I want to invest the time in watching an anime series.

Danganronpa V3 is apparently a soft-reboot so maybe I'll just move forward to that and ignore the spin-off and anime poo poo entirely.

Edit: Thinking about it some of my complaints also apply to Danganronpa 1 because (spoilers for DR1) everyone stays friends with the loving serial killer

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 7, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

My understanding is that all but the most diehard DR fans tell you to ignore the side stuff. DRv3 is Danganronpa 3, for all intend and purposes, and continues directly on from 2

The Black Stones posted:

V3 is not a soft reboot and is meant to close out the series, so you should really play that. There is an anime prequel and sequel but they aren’t that good and can safely be skipped if you want. If you really, really care about additional story go ahead and watch them as they’re not long. Really the only thing I’d say you need to do for sure is okay V3.

Despair Girls sucks, not just because of fan service reasons, and you should skip it.

Edit: If you really want to watch an anime that captures the feel of Danganronpa way better and actually has a good story just watch Akudama Drive.

Thanks, I'll just say gently caress it and move on to V3 after I knock a few other games out of the backlog then.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

I thought the writing overall was a step down from the first with a few exceptions. Mikan's "motive" being bullshit you have no possible way of knowing or figuring out, Peko's alibi being a lie while also being a big clue to the mystery of the island somehow, the mystery of fat Togami being dangled in front of you and then limply revealed with no real purpose far too many hours later

Those are all extremely valid criticisms yeah. I think poo poo like fat Togami being some rando Ultimate Imposter highlights what I dislike about the writing of the second game compared to the first. The first game features a number of twists in the plot that surprise the player, but still forms a (mostly) coherent story. The second game throws plot twists in, but crafts them specifically to trip up assumptions you might have from the first game like knowing who Byakuya Togami is or the entire thing with the Shining Justice serial killer poo poo Where the first game has twists that arise from the progression of its narrative, these feel like the game manufacturing twists solely to then go "hahaha gotcha, idiot", so they don't tie back satisfactorily into the narrative, land weakly and feel disjointed/divorced from the story.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Just wanted to say a big gently caress you to whichever dickhead was behind the decision to price PS5 games at $125 aud at retail.

Amazon is selling Ratch and Clank at $99, which is likely where I'll be going, but fuuuuck me this is some straight up price gouging horseshit.

$80 was fine you fucks :argh:

Look at this bloke humble-bragging that he managed to find a PS5 :colbert:

You're not wrong though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Trailer didn't contain enough threats from Garland re: knocking them all down imho

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This year I will play a Metroid game to the end.

Probably Zero Mission.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Genuinely love that this thread can flare up into a heated argument and then have that argument resolve itself by the posters just talking to each other and apologising where misunderstandings have happened.
I wish more threads on the forum were like this thread, basically.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

After careful consideration here is my ranking of every character theme along with Smell of the Game from Guilty Gear Strive
Tiers are ordered.
For calibration, S tier stuff I can't stop listening to, A tier stuff I really like and gets stuck in my head repeatedly, B tier is stuff I enjoy but is either less good, less memorable or both and already I think I probably should have thrown Faust/Alone Infection into A tier, C tier is fine but forgettable and D tier is trash, sorry Zato theme likers.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Productive day of gaming. Out of idle curiousity I installed Katana ZERO off GamePass and knocked it out in the morning (it's not a particularly long game). The story was.... fine, if a bit derivative as with many of these sorts of games produced in the wake of Hotline Miami's success, but I did enjoy the gameplay mechanics immensely and found the game overall really satisfying. The dialogue system where you have impatient/angry/rear end in a top hat answers that let you immediately interrupt and then calmer/kinder/more patient answers was quite cool, and I loved the whole interrogation sequence with V where you keep getting shot but grab more and more info each go round until you can unnerve him. The game kind of just...ends, in a way that at least feels from a gameplay standpoint like a solid culmination of the skills that the game has pushed you to develop over the course of its levels, but from a story standpoint is completely loving horseshit.

I also finished Return of the Obra Dinn tonight. What a fantastic game.

After having started it back in 2018 and then getting distracted and putting it aside, I restarted it and have been playing it together with my wife with me controlling it as she's not comfortable with 3D game control schemes, and sure as poo poo wasn't going to try and work mouse and keyboard controls. Great game for couch co-op as having two heads working on the problem and being able to use each other as sounding boards helped narrow down possibilities immensely and the deduction and piecing together of the narrative gave my wife plenty to engage with even if she wasn't directly playing. Worked out great, her attention to detail was better than mine - she was the one who noticed the hammock numbers and the tattoo on the sleeping sailor - and I was pretty decent at working out plans of attack of how to narrow down our possibility space particularly towards the end of the game. We still had to brute force a last handful a little clumsily - if there's a way to distinguish the three Chinese topmen, we never worked it out.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Lena Raine ftw

:hai:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

holler at me with your hidden gamepass gems please.

Streets of Rage 4 is one of the finest beat 'em ups ever made.

Celeste is an utterly fantastic precision platformer with an amazing soundtrack, if you haven't played it.

If you're old enough to have any sort of memory of the internet circa 1999-2000, Hypnospace Outlaw is goon-made and wonderful. It also has an amazing soundtrack but for very different reasons.

If you enjoy walking simulators at all, What Remains Of Edith Finch is my favourite of them with a pleasing amount of variety compared to what you normally get out of the genre without overstaying its welcome.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

What game quotes live in your head rent free

I think "run run or you'll be well done" at least twice a week

MONEY MONEY MONEY

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Everything about the climax of FFXIV Shadowbringers.
Either

"This world is not yours to end. This is our world. Our story."

or

"Champions beyond the rift, heed my call!"

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

homeless snail posted:

if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it...

[guitar riff intensifies]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Do you know of a place where sailors hang out?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

This is the one for me, and I frankly shocked that someone else posted it first. I feel like that was a game no one else played, but boy that "Money Money Money" is seared into my memory.

I'm legit astounded anyone else knows what the hell I was talking about. Hell yeah Gazillionaire buddy :hfive:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Anyone got suggestions of what I could play to scratch a Sid Meier's Pirates! itch that isn't just me reinstalling Pirates! for the millionth time?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

sometimes I just find myself thinking

Heaven or Hell

LET'S ROCK

for no reason at all

You knew that you cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on yourself, you thought about quotes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

homeless snail posted:

weird worlds: return to infinite space

Actually yeah, that's a pretty good suggestion but I've played it to death

OneDeadman posted:

Horizon's Gate. As a bonus it will also satisfy a FFT itch.

This however I haven't seen before. Getting massive Uncharted Waters vibes, gonna check this out, thanks.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

he was a piece of poo poo person, gently caress em

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Things you should probably not brag about anymore: how abnormally quickly your video game was made

https://twitter.com/drewscanlon/status/1407745971623104513

Looks awful but I'll take whatever new beat 'em ups I can get tbh

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Grabbed The World Ends With You for Switch to replay through it before the sequel drops and man the combat is a lot less satisfying than the DS' dual screen/dual control mechanic though probably kinder to my aging brain and reflexes.
I forgot how much of a colossal dick Neku is at the start of the game. I didn't forget how much the soundtrack owns though!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

thinking about 12 year old me playing gba and snes emulators with all the smoothing filters on

please :nms: tag this

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

more things should be filled with anime imho

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Is Sakuna as good as it looks?

I haven't played it but unless I'm getting thread-confused I think there was some discussion of it somewhere in the last few pages if that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People keep saying “too anime” as a reason why they don’t like guilty gear but I’m like, this is the best kind of anime

:hai: Strive owns and is the most fun I've had in a fighting game for ages. Even as a complete GG newbie I was able to watch a summary of the story up to this point and dive into Story Mode, which is literally An Anime, and enjoyed it immensely.