Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Healbot posted:

Bowser's Inside Story plays in 60 frames on DS while it's cut in half for the 3DS remake.

It’s such a weird thing to remake too; the first game made sense since it’s on the GBA and it actually plays better even if it doesn’t have the weird spinoff energy in some of its NPC sprites the OG did, but it just sounds like the company was desperate to make something and was left out to dry by Nintendo so they couldn’t make a Switch game that might have made them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly the weird thing about the ambassador games is that Nintendo didn’t just preemptively make the 3DS properly compatible out of the gate cause you know they’d love to sell you old GBA ports of their old SNES games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Replicant's combat is worse even with the remaster changes imo. It also has a lot more repetitiveness than Automata, which as a sequel clearly iterates on the previous game in mostly positive ways.

I think if you are willing to grind through the repetition though, the story and character work is worth it. The soundtrack also owns, naturally

Genuine question, what’s worse about the combat? I found it to be pretty much mindless and cathartic in that simplistic kinda way cause it’s really easy to just buy overpowered weapons and clown on everything but I was under the impression that it was basically the single biggest change besides the new parts.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

This was a ton of fun!

I could have fit so many things in a number of squares but this is how I am feeling at present moment in time.

Not a single kirb on there. I thought I knew you, Veeg.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ah I see, forgive me. Also that’s a top tier Kirby av.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

Meanwhile, David Cage having a normal one and leaves courtroom in tears in reaction to taking two newspapers to court over their published findings that Quantic Dream might be a shithole.

Bonus quote (not from Cage); "I'm not under oath so I can lie, right?"

https://twitter.com/Rittsrotts/status/1400272063324168193?s=19

I almost can’t believe that highlighted poo poo is real, it’s like The Onion level self-parody. I feel pretty bad for Elliot Page though, that must be a huge bummer to see in your social media feed.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Chev posted:

The answer to that one gets stupider with each new game.

Pretty much, Kingdom Hearts is pretty much just Nomura’s love letter to mediocre shonen anime/manga and it’s simultaneously pretty amazingly/terribly written because of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

The biggest issue I have with most game reviews is that animeness is so rarely measured, despite it being at least as important as sound and fun factor

Imho animeness seems very subjective, like Dark Souls 3 is a Japanese game where weird/cool hosed poo poo happens, you can dual wield giant anime swords and do sick ninja flips to style on your enemies, and there’s a recurring miniboss that’s like a super obvious Berserk reference (which is really saying something cause it’s Souls) but it’s not anime because it’s a critically acclaimed game?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Why did the Kingdom Hearts story end up the way it did? It seems like the main Kingdom Hearts story could be entirely sustained purely on KH exclusive characters, like, what's the point of Final Fantasy and Disney poo poo being there? Would it just have been too much of a nightmare to craft and get approved any narrative that involved FF/Disney properties, to the point where the best they could do si compartmentalize that stuff as best as possible and focus on a bunch of OC characters with dumb names, horrible personalities, forgettable character designs, with deliberately obtuse contrivances woven in just everywhere?

Kinda yeah, lol. Like literally, KH3 is kind of a weird sendoff to Nomura’s fanfiction story that he needlessly built up, but also Disney themselves became a lot more protective of their vault over time which is why the summons in 3 are weird elemental versions of their old selves and the story to most of the worlds happens around Sora half the time but Pixar are actually cool so their stuff was much better.

Idk about the Square stuff though, besides knowing that Nomura is surprisingly humble about putting characters he didn’t design in his own games so it kinda restricts things.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sharrrk posted:

kingdom hearts 2 final mix is probably on my top 10 games of all time list

Same, it’s such a good ARPG

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Shaking my head you didn't just buy the achievements, thw single best feature in the game and its funniest joke

I feel like the Romeo and Juliet play was the funniest joke but it’s probably tied closely with letting you use ingame currently to buy achievements and having the achievement for having a lot of gold buyable for the amount you need for the achievement.

Man, I’m really eager to beat Automata again, it’s so stupid in a deliberately bizzare black comedy way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nier Replicant is full of absolutely hilarious black comedy and my favorite moment is something I never see anyone talk about. Spoilers for the first three hours of the game, Junkyard dungeon

Not gonna lie, a decent chunk of Replicant’s black comedy doesn’t land for me cause part of the joke is often at least partly that kind of thing where they make fun of how tedious/repetitive/grindy the game can get, which feels a lot less smug than other kinds of self-referential humor but still falls flat because I’m not having fun.

Like, for instance, there’s the very repetitive side quest that has you track down the one kid who ran away from home which takes you through the whole world tracking him down and then the twist is that his family were thieves who skipped town, you hosed up you dumbshit kid, no reward. Most rewards are pretty lame in Replicant anyway since you can just plant rice for money and most weapons suck compared to the one sword you can buy halfway through part 1 so it’s not even annoying to not get anything, but if they had cut out one sequence of bullshit it would have been hilarious cause one sequence ago my patience wasn’t already beyond spent.

Automata works better IMO cause it’s just really, really amazingly stupid on top of being funner to engage with, like the one sidequests where you help stage a peaceful protest by killing all the robots opposed to the peace parade.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That's the most insane statement i've ever heard

Insanely hosed, nice days are why God made handheld systems and indie games to play on busted old laptops

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can kinda sorta see why, most first levels are just some boring poo poo anyway for the pragmatic reason of not trying to overwhelm the player so I can get thinking of a barn for your level 1.

I mean, I’m sure it’s lame anyway cause of the game’s reputation, but I could definitely see Mario Odyssey 2 having an early farm level that’s real fun to explore, with like a giant platforming gauntlet barn and Monty Mole caverns, and maybe even a sky section you go to with a beanstalk you grow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I really liked what I played of the Souls trilogy (beat 3, got the lord vessel and to Manus in 1, idk where I stopped in 2) but Bloodborne is the one that really made me think, “man, this is an amazing game, no wonder people dump hundreds of hours into this”. Then again that’s partly cause BB’s only non-chalice dungeon flaws are running out of vials and not having more robust options for NG+ so you can start with a fresh character but with all the badges that let you buy the sick late game weapons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

The fist of the north star opening song has been running through my head nonstop for the past several hours please send help

Help is on the way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uints81YYMc

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It is not hilarious to go from K2 to 3

Imho the part where the beginning of 3 literally takes place at the end of K2 with them telling the player the rad police lady they spent an entire game building up a romance with isn’t actually enjoying a nice family moment with her boyfriend and his daughter, she’s breaking up with him to work overseas is simultaneously pretty hilarious and infuriating .

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Weedle posted:

the taxi missions owned but there should have been more driving ones

I’m guessing they were probably a huge undertaking to properly program but it still sucks, Normal Taxi is one of the best side story mini games in the series which is kind of a high bar to reach.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I mean compared to both of the other games that have things like regular cutscenes. The game's got a lot of storytelling components to it but the presentation is very different from the sort of structure you would expect from a JRPG if you were used to games like Final Fantasy or Tales Of. It's by far the most sparse in terms of cutscenes and characterization, even by SMT terms

in the same vein, I don't think Neir is boring at all because I understand what it's doing, but to all the people complaining in the Neir thread that the first 5-8 hours are really boring, like yeah if you don't know what's coming and why it's funny it probably sucks really bad

e: also yeah I absolutely love the amount of effort they put into the convos with ghosts. The conversations are constantly changing, and visiting all the towns after major plot events has almost everyone saying something new. Ginza is really cool to keep revisiting and certain regions even have the composition of random encounters change based on story development

Idk, I don’t think Nier is boring/tedious sometimes cause it’s a conscious choice, it’s boring/tedious sometimes cause it’s a budged game with a weird self-induced obligation to be 30+ hours.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Motto posted:

the beginning of Nier is the most varied by far in terms of gameplay, the deeper you get the more it leans on the combat and nothing else

Nier is cool as poo poo when it randomly decides it just wants to be different game genres or engage in weirdass gimmicks even if those gimmicks are sometimes annoying, they probably had weird poo poo planned the entire way but it wasn’t exactly a finished game, the stuff the remaster adds was iirc all preexisting lore that was tweaked slightly and made playable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

i'll tell ya a takeaway secret:

Order your Chinese with no veggies or onions and they put more meat in the container

That means no veggies or onions though???

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My "lifehack" with restaurant takeout/delivery is to stretch things out by cooking veggies and mixing them with the entrees, so all meat/protein actually works well for this. Restaurants use a lot of oil and sauce too so it helps even things out.

I got some cumin lamb and mapo tofu on Monday and I have been working on that all week, I still have half of the quart container of tofu left lol

That lifehack in the other hand is a legit pro strat, the local Asian takeout place sells tonkatsu ramen with lovely noodles, maybe i should ask if they just sell broth next time...

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 12, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

stev posted:

People who refuse to order rice with their Chinese takeaway because "you can just make it at home" are sick and wrong.

I wasn’t even aware you could order Chinese takeout and not get rice with it, at least around here it’s complimentary with every dish you order.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm also the person who, when eating a pasta dish, will use bread to wipe the plate clean

smdh, that’s what your tongue is for.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The worst thing about getting old is easily that my tolerance for spicy foods gets worse and worse every year, but at least I’ll always be able to enjoy homemade naan.

Hmm. I wonder how naan with onion dough would taste...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mods? Veeg? We need you, VideoGames...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The best cooking advice I ever got, by the way, was to always start by tripling any flavor-bearing components of any recipe. Garlic, ginger, spices, herbs, sauces, etc. Not the actual things that take up space in your stomach, like meat and veggies, but the stuff you put on top of them. Seriously, every recipe I've ever encountered is a flavor coward and a big part of why restaurants are better is because they use more of the stuff which tastes good.

This is the truest thing I’ve ever seen on these forums, with the caveat that it sometimes doesn’t apply for baking. I can’t think of a single cooking recipe I’ve ever made where I thought to myself “drat, this sure was good and definitely couldn’t have used three times as much garlic. Or ginger.”

Also for a starting chef I would also advise not sleeping on powdered garlic/onion/ginger, like they’re no substitute for the real thing but it’s much better to use powdered garlic than the canned poo poo and they make for nice rubs when seasoning meats.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have almost no cooking experience and my farthest reaches basically involve making different kinds of chicken and marinades (which is what Im going with this time again). I grew up hating my mom's cooking because she is also terrified of using any sorts of spices(well-done steaks with salt+pepper, no butter or anything, hence why I'd never seen raw garlic before), and my dad is allergic to chicken/fish/turkey so we had a very limited selection of meals that we would have all the time. Basically I got trained to only make things I was able to make in highschool/college that were within my budgets at those times and never evolved out of that. Now that I've got way more time and resources to try to get good at these sorts of things so I figure I probably should

I sympathize with you, I didn’t have it anywhere near as bad and my mom knows what spices are but I ended up biased against a lot of things because my mom likes her food bone-dry unless it’s made by my grandma so I used to think chicken breast was disgusting health food for people with broken tastebuds, for instance.

I prefer baking cause it’s easier to zone out to+more discoveries but cooking for oneself is one on the great little journeys of adulthood regardless as someone who can cook decently now and used to be dogshit awful at it. :)

Do you like pasta? Tomato sauces are really easy to do if you’re looking for “gateway” recipes and one of the things that you should always make for yourself since, like, you’re waiting for the pasta to boil anyway and there’s a big taste difference.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Powdered is better than the stuff you get in jars? I always liked those because they're already diced and easy to chunk some spoonfuls into whatever.

From a while ago but I don’t really have good experience with the jars of minced garlic compared to fresh or even prepeeled cause garlic loses flavor when cut up and exposed to air for sciencey reasons, but ymmv, it might very well be that I’m a snob and the jarred stuff is just fine if you’re not one of those people who thinks every recipe needs approximately four times as much garlic as written.

Pollyanna posted:

Didn’t Mark Hamill voice Majima in the original Yakuza dub?

Yeah and iirc he didn’t come back for 7 because as far as he knew Majima was just “Generic Thug” according to his old script and not a fan-favorite character in a beloved franchise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

What are some series with decade-spanning gaps between sequels

Kid Icarus comes to mind, especially since it elevated Pit from “the MC of that cute but also kind of unfun NES game” to “SS-tier Nintendo character, got to kill Satan with the power of God and anime”:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

I dont post a lot here unless fak's telling me something funny happened but i wanted to post

it's my birthday i'm 30 years-old this is longer than i thought i'd be alive WOO

Happy birthday!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It would go into the trash, where it belongs

drat, that’s a top-tier bad take

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

I know I'm pretty late on this, but I'm playing Nier Replicant (first time playing a Nier game) and I can not believe that Square Enix had the audacity to re-release this at full price. I don't think I've ever seen a game reuse content and purposely drag poo poo out as badly as this game does. This is what happens when people rate games based solely on how long they are, someone will come along with a 5 hour game and stretch it into a 40 hour game by any means necessary.

Even on release Nier was pretty much regarded as borderline kusoge that was salvaged by the presentation (storytelling, OST, voice direction) into being Pretty Neat overall. It would have been a lot better if the devs had just made it a ten hour game, they’ve basically admitted that they padded poo poo out because they felt obligated to make a fourty hour game by any means available to their shoestring budget.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mother 3 has a top tier OST, especially since there’s like thirty battle themes because it’s combat is a rhythm game and sometimes there are even variations of the same battle theme just to gently caress with the timing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Weedle posted:

scott cawthon was known to be a conservative christian years and years ago. he donated to ben carson’s presidential campaign in 2016 and made an allegorical anti-abortion game before the fnaf series. it’s weird to me that it took until now for the anti-scotts to notice or care, and that the pro-scotts consider becoming a multimillionaire off of a low-budget indie game series before retiring from the public eye to be an unfortunate outcome for him

Tbh it feels like there are dozens of instances of shitheads/scumbags/ne’er do wells sliding under the radar for years despite saying suspect stuff on the regular. Probably the best example is Rowling, who was saying suspect stuff about transgender people for years but most people didn’t realize until she just decided to die on her hill of bigotry while extending her ignorance to people on the autism spectrum with her new book.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Violen posted:

remember that time kirbys enemy was capitalism

I do, it was one of my favorite game experiences ever

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

He’s the star of the show!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Tag yourself. I am 'The Continuously Revolving Counting-song of Reminiscences'

I think I’m Program To Measure Battle-power but it has a different name on the Spotify page (Combat Evaluation Program). It’s the True Arena track and I have a special attachment to it since god is that poo poo hard, I think I’ve only gotten to the final boss like half a dozen times across fifty attempts.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also weird because I don't think the game goes close to that hard again after the first chapter.

It makes a lot more sense when you end up hearing how its based off a real thing that happened, so of course it’s the most unpleasant/raw part of the game besides maybe the politician strong-arming a woman he molested into incriminating a Good Samaritan to cover his rear end.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Trailer didn't contain enough threats from Garland re: knocking them all down imho

This bad meme translation erasure is hosed up, I agree. At least there’s always the clip of Garland/Vegeta’s voice actor saying it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

stev posted:

Yep. I think P4G gets away with it because it was a new platform and you can't just add stuff to a PS2 game but not offering Royal as DLC is an absolute dirt move, no matter how much stuff it ended up adding.

The funniest part was that they said they had no plans of making another Golden because they felt 5 was a complete product as is, which I sure remember because I was initially just gonna wait for Royal to come out on Switch instead of buying the less complete game before they said that, lol.