Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what exactly is Intergrade? Is it the second part of the FF7 remake or just something related to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sonic Shuffle is one of the only two Sonic games I've never played purely on principle (I wasn't really a fan of Mario Party to begin with so why would I play a version that looks even worse), the other one is Sonic Free Riders because the Kinect was a terrible idea and from what I've seen is barely playable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

We’re on mobile

Pretty sure mobile adblockers exist as well (check the App Store or whatever the Android equivalent is)

Sakurazuka posted:

There's no way to block YT ads on iOS as far as I'm aware

In my case when they do appear (which isn’t always) I can usually get rid of them by either clicking “skip ad” or just refreshing the page.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, there haven’t been any new Kirby related announcements recently have there?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the Life is Strange series (or the remastered versions of the first two games and the most recent new one at least) will at long last be gracing a Nintendo console later this year:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Po4zG-PcVTE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, what’s the gameplay like in the upcoming TWEWY sequel (that is. is it similar to the first one or is it more action based like Kingdom Hearts and some of the newer Final Fantasy titles) ?

The recent anime adaption of the original game kind of rekindled my interest in the series so I was thinking of possibly picking Neo up when it comes out next month (especially considering every version of the first game that isn’t the DS original either sucks or is awkward to play from what I’ve heard)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So a little of both then, good to know.

To be honest I’ve only ever experienced the first game via Let’s Plays and the anime as I missed out on the DS version and had to abandon the Switch version because it was too awkward to play with just my fingers (unless the TV Mode option works a little better controls wise).

Was the mobile port any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ChickenMedium posted:

Metroid Dread should be a Nintendo/2000AD collab.

Hasn’t Dread been in development hell since way back in the GBA days? I recall seeing some beta screenshots of a game with the same name a long time ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I didn’t watch the whole video but Dread is primarily a 2D game with 3D visuals correct?

Also have they said anything as to if the game will be as handholdy as Fusion was or if it’s more like a traditional game where you’re basically on your own in terms of figuring out how to progress?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what’s the basic plot of Dread and what planet are we on this time (also are they going to follow up on Fusion’s ending where Samus basically made herself Public Enemy No. 1 as far as the Federation is concerned)?

Finally, is there going to be any voice acting in this game (and if so is it more on the level of Prime or Other M)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems strange that the Federation still trusts Samus after her basically screwing them over with the help of AI Adam (who as we’ve seen is far more preferable to real Adam) at the end of Fusion, or maybe she just decided to investigate the planet on her own accord.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, was there anything of note revealed at the Microsoft conference? That’s the only one I wound up missing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Battle’s writing was delightfully absurd at times yes.

Also protip: for some reason Emerl’s default trap attack is both unblockable and not registered by the game as a special attack in any of the few fights that restricts the use of those. So put a good heal ability on him that can also quickly charge up the gauge below your health which makes any special move a one hit KO if it connects and you can start wrecking the competition in short order.

Rouge’s aerial attack (the one where you can kick your opponent as much as you like while you slowly hover to the ground) is also useful to have, as is Shadow’s Chaos Control ability for dodging.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

there's a full TL of the first game but they only got partway through the second

Out of curiosity, why did the Edgeworth games (or at least one of them) never officially make it stateside?

Also are said games good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One Sonic prime trailer, please

We’ve apparently got some concept art at least:

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1407584168947556352

Seems the plot will involve Sonic traveling to different dimensions.

Also not sure if it’s been posted but FF9 is getting an animated series as well:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-06-21/final-fantasy-ix-game-to-get-animated-series/.174255

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

So Sonic: Rift Apart?

Seems that way, yeah (and I do kind of like the multiple Eggmen, Kitsune Tails, and Cavegirl Amy at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What game is that anyway?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems interesting, are the mobile versions of Peggle any good or is better to play it on a console/PC?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Once I beat FF7R there isn't much at all I want to play on this PS5 in the near future. Would it be gauche to sell it for slightly over MSRP on craigslist and buy it again in two years when a hopefully non enormous one comes out?

Speaking of, are there any significant changes to the PS5 version of FF7R other than the bonus Yuffie episode? And is said extra chapter good/exclusive just to that version?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if anyone’s tried it, how’s the NEO The World Ends With You demo they put out recently?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Combat is kinda weird, but overall it's pretty good. Your other party members run around in fights and don't do anything until you press their attack button, then you swap places with them and are them and it's... Kinda disorienting.

Load times aren't horrible, but they're still a tad long like 5-7 seconds.

What’s the combat like, is it similar to the first game minus the multiple screens or did they change things up a bit?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Harrow posted:

It's pretty different. You have four characters in your group and each only has one pin. Each one is assigned to a specific button, so if you press Triangle you attack with Rindo's pin, Square attacks with Fret's pin, etc. There's a system where after you attack enough with one character, you'll get a "drop the beat" prompt which is your cue to attack with a different character, which builds up your Groove gauge if you do it in time. Maxing out the Groove gauge lets you do a big combo attack.

I think the way the game sort of adapts the gesture-based combat from the original is by having different pins require different kinds of button presses to activate. Like early on, your first two characters have basic "just press the button to attack a bunch" pins, but your third character has a pin where you have to hold the button down for a second to charge it before they go. It's all about stringing together combos with multiple characters and I imagine it'll be pretty fun with a bunch of different types of pins.

Works for me, I preordered the game after seeing the recent TWEWY anime that just finished this week so glad to hear it’s decent (and you apparently get some decent starter pins for doing so).

How long is the demo out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Any word on whether your progress can be carried over to the full game? Otherwise I might just hold off until the whole thing comes out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cool, I’ll probably give the demo a shot then. Out of curiosity is the game fully voiced or is it just limited to certain scenes like the first one (and in either case how is said voice acting)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Certain scenes and I like it so far.

Also be careful searching online if you care about spoilers demo has already been datamined.

I don’t care about spoilers but good to know anyway.

Though given the description on the store page I am curious how game breaking the Neku pins you apparently get as a preorder bonus are going to be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just finished watching the whole thing today in fact, the TWEWY anime basically follows the same story as the game but it’s a lot faster paced (the whole thing is just 12 episodes long). It also doesn’t cover any postgame stuff (including the secret ending in the Switch version that sets up the plot for the upcoming sequel).

It works well enough to get the gist of things but it also condenses a lot of stuff down if not omitting a few things entirely. You’re better off just playing the game yourself or watching a playthrough online.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I just started the demo myself. It’s pretty fun but unless you want a bit of a headstart on the full game (as your save data from the demo apparently carries over to it) I can also understand just waiting for the full release.

Also while I don’t think they’re present in the demo preordering the game (as I already have) apparently gives you some pretty decent starter pins as well so I’m curious to see what those are like.

On that note, I only ever experienced the first game via an LP of the DS version and the recently completed anime so can anyone summarize:

A: Why Neku is playing the Reaper’s Game again with Minamimoto as his Partner

and B: What’s the deal with the cloak he seems to be wearing in Neo’s artwork

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It sounds like those are questions that would be answered in the full game which is not out yet.

I heard the secret ending in the Switch version of the original at least sheds some light on the first question but I forget the specifics of it exactly

Edit: It doesn’t explain all that much to be honest but here’s the ending I’m talking about :

https://twewy.fandom.com/wiki/A_New_Day

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What’s the food supposed to do in the full game? Stat boosts or something?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to Neo TWEWY, not sure if either of these were present in the first game but the ability to change the difficulty on the fly (which doesn’t seem to work in the demo version) and from what I can gather being able to level yourself DOWN for an extra challenge seems like an interesting feature.

The new characters seem fun, the battle system is decent once you get the hang of it, the voice acting’s pretty good and there seems to be a lot more of it this time around and once things get rolling the game breaks into a full fledged anime OP. Yeah, I think I’m gonna like this one.

I’m curious how many familiar faces we’re going to run into over the course of this game, judging by the OP we have Minamimoto, a kid in a cloak who based on what little we see is pretty obviously Neku, and a girl in a red skirt who judging by the cat doll she carries is probably the real Shiki

I’m also curious if Joshua is still running the show or if Shibuya is under new management these days (do we know how long of an in-universe time gap there’s been between this and the original?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Harrow posted:

That was in the original, too. If you leveled down you got bonus EXP and item drops so it was generally a good idea to stay at as low of a level as you could while still being able to win fights. IIRC your level mostly affects your max HP in the original so it was more about making damage avoidance more important.

I wanna say three years? The anime moved the original story up to the late 2010s so that the sequel could be just a couple years after the original story but still in the present day.

Could you change the in-game difficulty in the original as well or was it just stuck at the default the whole way through?

Also I’m not completely done with the demo but does the new main villain (for now) with the blonde hair have a name yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, you could change the difficulty mid-game.

I don't remember the new characters' names yet but this trailer introduces everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YCfzwBR_lA

Neat, so some of the old Reapers are back as well (and judging by that trailer it seems the current Game isn’t just localized to just one city this time either).

Also are the English VAs for the returning Reapers the same people who played them in the first game?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally finished the NEO TWEWY demo, it’s fun but aside from maybe the last boss of Day 2 pretty much nothing in the game has really been that much of a threat to me (you’re given a decent amount of health to start with so as long as you just keep up the attack with your strongest pins you can pretty much win any fight through sheer attrition, I imagine this might change later in the main game though).

Also if the first game is any indication there’s no way in hell this will be over in just the one week provided to our current Players (plus there’s still a bunch more characters to introduce given the trailer at the end). Seems there will eventually be some fights against other Players as well which seems interesting.

Out of curiosity, in the first game do you ever gain some method of healing yourself during battle?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arzaac posted:

In TWEWY you do get healing pins, but most of them only have a certain number of uses per battle, so you can't just heal through battles forever.

(And yes, the healing pins without limited uses were pretty busted.)

I imagine you’ll eventually get some of those in NEO as well then. The trailer at the end of the demo also showed clothes you can buy to increase your stats (plus the aforementioned noodle shops and I’m assuming you’ll be able to adjust the difficulty setting at your leisure in the full game) so it doesn’t seem like it’ll be that big a deal overall.

I also like that your health is automatically restored to full after battle (aside from multi-round fights that is) which I assume was true for the first game as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

What is The Ultimate Choice

e: and who is the guest star

Ultimate Choice is the Star Allies equivalent of the Arena in previous Kirby games (a boss rush basically), only difference is that you can choose your difficulty/number of total battles at the start.

Guest Star Allies is a mode where you can basically play the story mode again as one of the dozen or so Helper characters in the game (meaning more or less every enemy type plus Dedede, Meta Knight, Bandanna Waddle Dee, and several others)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I heard Star Allies was kinda lacking at launch but now I’m kinda hesitant to play it because it sounds like there’s like a hundred playable characters and like goddamn.

To be fair that’s only for optional postgame stuff (some of them are kind of fun to play though). The main story is just Kirby plus the return of the Helper system from Super Star (only now you can have up to 3 at once)

Also, unless you’re a hardcore completionist you don’t have to play as all of them, just do whichever ones are the most interesting/useful to you.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

After watching the anime, hearing more about the game, and playing the NEO demo I’m contemplating giving the original The World Ends With You another shot.

I’m guessing emulation is out of the question since it’s a touch screen exclusive game and in my experience those are annoying as hell to play with a mouse. Is the mobile version any less awkward to control with just your fingers?

If not, what’s a good stylus that works on the Switch?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm emulating it and am having a fine time with it, granted I have a small tablet (no screen) that I can use. You could definitely a mouse since the movement required is pretty imprecise. Having one hand totally dedicated to the touch screen is also totally fine - I have my left hand on WASD which is the top-screen battle control, and outside of combat you can just move around with the touch screen.

I think it's way less of a pain in the rear end when you can play the entire game with one hand always on the mouse, dedicated to the touchpad, since you never have to use the arrow buttons and the ABXY buttons at the same time

Good to know, does the game work on No$GBA? That’s what I primarily use for DS emulation (I’m on a laptop just FYI)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I used No$GBA for a long time back when I used to emulate DS games more often (high school) but I switched to Desmume for some reason, so I'm not sure. Haven't had any issues so far, but I'm only like an hour in

I’ll give it a shot then, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, did they add anything new to Replicant or is it literally just the Young Nier game Japan got way back when it was first released in place of Gestalt?

Also are there any significant story differences between the two aside from the MC being Yonah’s brother instead of her father?