Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what a good thread title, thank you for indulging me

speaking of, i beat sonic colors earlier today! fantastic sonic, would play again in several months on a system that can do its lovely level aesthetics justice. tropical resort, starlight carnival, sweet mountain, asteroid coaster, aquarium park, planet wisp, and terminal velocity are all such cool areas, wisp powers are all fun to mess around with and really open up the levels, short gimmicky levels like unleashed had return but are much more enjoyable here and not full of strict QTEs, and the game controls a lot better than unleashed. aside from eggman's canned park announcements, i wasn't a big fan of the writing, especially with sonic and tails, (it was written by some people from some weird looking show called happy tree friends??) but the writing was also very much not the focus this time around so it wasn't a big deal

next up is.........sonic cd! i'm very excited for generations but feel this is an appropriate time to go back and check out cd and chaotix since i skipped over them before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
moons, give me strength...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the extreme irony of the author playing the most joblike game of them all, that of a security guard tasked to look out for intruders on a bunch of monitors

the animatronics are just managers, really

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this is the only guardian i care about

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i know i was saying sonic cd is next but there's an sa2 mod that lets you play as the multiplayer exclusive characters in story mode...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rinkles posted:

humans are great at finding reasons to get annoyed at one another.

after over a year of not seeing anyone in person but my girlfriend, I'm frankly surprised recent friend hangouts have gone as well as they have

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

They should rename the forums Games - Traditional and Games - Video so that they are next to each other on the forums index

Games, Video as a By, Kir

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is the best board game

Or at least it was, until my family and I realized we had been playing it wrong in one specific regard and that if you were to play the game according to the rules it becomes impossible to win

i managed to convince my friends to play this a couple years ago and while collecting tokens of your favorite pokemon and then stealing them from your opponents is fun, the rest of the game unfortunately isn't

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

We had totally glossed over the rule where you HAVE to go to Indigo Plateau as soon as you hit 20 points so we had been playing a version that only lasted 30-45 minutes where it was only collecting/stealing Pokemon and no one even bothered to go try to win the game until they knew they would 100% win

yeah it sucks!! we just stopped playing after someone fought the elite four and lost

Draga posted:

Welp, it's June 2nd here in England and I am now 28 years old. Yay.

happy birthday!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i deliberately registered on a leap day because i thought it'd be cool

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

It's time for a new Nintendo console.

it's been long enough. where is the n64 mini??

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wuggles posted:

this unironically. What’s the best two hours of FF9?

anything involving the black mage village probably. or the interlude where you compete in a card tournament against a cockroach

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

these choices may be subject to change at any time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What don’t you like about p4 (Persona 4)?

Quest 64 is, good

the dungeons are garbage, the battle system vs regular enemies is boring "guess the random elemental weakness," the battle system vs bosses is boring "use buffs and debuffs," none of the party members really do anything for me except kanji and i actively dislike yosuke and teddie, too many social links end with the person deciding that actually they love the status quo they've been stuck in, because the main character is a silent lump almost every social link is just someone talking at you as you enable them for maximum friend points, the game's sense of humor is generally mean-spirited and unfunny, the central mystery sucks, the pacing in the latter half of the game drags because there are three different dungeons that have to potentially serve as the final one, i'd rather just watch diamond is unbreakable again. i loved the game the first time i played through it and got a vita to play golden, but the more i thought about it over the course of all that playtime the more i realized i disliked more than i liked

quest 64 is a hard game to defend but i just can't help but like it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LionArcher posted:

I pre paid in full a week before release. When I went in to pay the $450, They informed me I had to buy a warranty with them and two additional items or they would release my pre order to someone else because of scalpers. They included a list of items. I had already pre-ordered the controller charger, so I added the tv media remote and... a pop funko because it was the cheapest item on the list. Total extra cost was $100. Technically $130 extra because I had to include the controller stand charger, but I was buying that anyway.

lmao what the gently caress

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

I made one of these not that anyone asked!

i was asking, very quietly. shining force is a series i'd like to dive into sometime, i played the gba remake of 1 but don't really remember much about it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

idk if this is the thread for this but lately I've been really wanting to play a game like Mega Man Legends. Don't want to just play MML/2/Tron Bonne again for the 80th time though. Anyone got any recommendations? If you've never played them, imagine Zelda with slightly more RPG mechanics and also it's a third person shooter.

Anyone got recommends? :madmax:

i haven't actually played any of the games i'm about to name (besides mml obvi) but i've heard people say the lost planet series is inspired by mega man legends, and there's delta gal which is about as similar as you can get it seems: https://arthur-vyater.itch.io/delta-gal

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

star fox zero :hmmyes:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Actually I'm curious why like 3 different people did that

you're very clearly having a real bad time right now and i imagine that has caused people to worry

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

When gamefaqs dies thousands of my terrible preteen posts go with it. God bless

they axed the game-specific social boards years ago so i'm safe!

the new design looks bad but 99% of my time there is spent looking at text files and bad mspaint maps courtesy of starfighters76

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sir_Phobos posted:

I really enjoy trying to narrow down my choices for these "about you" posts, since they encourage me to think hard about what I like and what I don't like. So I thought I'd share what I came up with, thanks to Roth for posting the template!

Apologies to any Secret of Mana-likers. I finished it for the first time last year and I wouldn't even say I hated it, but the battle system was so clunky that I can't imagine I'd ever play it again.

some good stuff in here

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
kirby is my friend and yours

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hang in there!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i remember thinking the nintendo power ads for lady sia looked pretty cool and tried it years later but it wasn't very good. i would try it again however

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i finished sonic cd last night! and i think i loved just about everything except actually playing it lol. to start with the negative, the level design in every level is a spaghetti fever dream filled with samey architecture and speed traps, the latter of which are meant to facilitate the central time travel mechanic but are really annoying otherwise. coupled with busy environments and a lack of contrast between foreground and background elements, it can be hard to tell where you are and what you can interact with. your goal, besides reaching the end of the level, is to find eggman's robot transporters hidden somewhere in the past. you can also find and destroy hologram generators of metal sonic bullying animals. this means there's a lot of exploration, which the screen really isn't big enough to handle with how large levels can be and how tricky they can be to navigate in directions other than forward. also while the super peel out is cool, they ruined the spin dash!

that said, the game is gorgeous and even the deliberately grungy and broken down bad futures are a delight to look at. i listened to the us soundtrack, which has a very different vibe than sonic's usual fare and features the guy who did ecco the dolphin's music so you're getting a lot of ambience and heavy synth, and it worked really well! the whole time travel concept, where every level has four different states of past, present, bad future, and good future and your actions in the past dictate which future you get, is extremely cool even if the game stumbles a bit on navigating them. that every level has different tile sets and music for each state owns. you can also fortunately get the good ending by entering the special stage and earning all seven time stones, and cd's special stage is good! you're running around a kind of mode 7-esque road smashing ufos and must avoid getting your feet wet at all costs. sonic cd also introduces my favorite sonic character (and metal sonic i guess) so i could never truly dislike it. this time around i played the original version on an emulator so i could have the benefit of rewinds while figuring out the time travel but i'm thinking of revisiting it again soon via the steam version. hopefully unlocking tails isn't too difficult so i can run through with him and the jp soundtrack

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

to be clear they didn't ruin the spin dash. the game was developed at the same time as sonic 2 and was supposed to come out first. they didn't know what the spin dash would become yet

they ruined it and i won't let anything silly like development timelines tell me otherwise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

did people love xbc2? i thought people were largely critical of it since in a lot of ways it's kind of a big mess.

also because it was lesser than the pinnacle of the franchise, XBCX

it is a big mess but manages to be pretty good regardless. my least favorite of the three for sure though i think

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

Hello Prey fans I just got past the whole looking glass thing, which was cool, I've been sent to Psychotropics and now all the enemies have turned blue and are basically impossible to defeat without them killing me first. Am I missing something or is it one of those games? It's really harshing my Prey buzz.

what weapons do you have?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

Wrench, Gloo Gun, pistol, nerf gun, and the one that fires the green beam that makes them explode.

I'm impressed you managed to find a laser before a shotgun! but you can def find one where you are in the game and i recommend doing so, it's the best weapon imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Hmmmm. Don’t read this post, spoilers about the game of life

heck, making friends at a convention sounds like a horrifying prospect, I'm way too much of a nervous weenie to even try, so good on you for that! is it going all weekend?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

knuckles' chaotix has an aesthetic and i am 1000% here for it, this game is fantastic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Game has a good aesthetic. Too bad about everything else.

no way! okay maybe if you were playing co-op with an actual human it'd be a nightmare, but the high momentum rubber-bandy gimmick makes zipping through stages a blast solo, i've had a ton of fun messing around with it

Arzaac posted:

Does Knuckles Chaotix even have enemies?

yeah there are plenty of regular enemies. if your partner takes a hit then they only drop one ring which is nice, and there's a powerup monitor that causes you to drop one super ring containing everything on your next hit

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Which Pokemon generation is best? I've only played Red/Blue/Yellow and Sword.

I'm gonna rank them, no remakes

sun moon
sword shield
black white
gold silver
ruby sapphire
diamond pearl
red blue
never played xy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Grouchio posted:

To this day I don't know what possessed him to make Shadow the Hedgehog

i imagine it has something to do with shadow being extremely popular in 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

There are lots of good sonic games but when a sonic game is bad it can be really really bad and people end up forgetting how many good (or at least competent and fun) games there are.

a couple days ago one of my friends compared sonic to ska, in that it has its diehard fans but also an awful lot of people love making GBS threads on it. my kneejerk reaction was one of disgust, but maybe...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's still very funny to me that this game about a magical world of whimsy and dreams starts you off with a dang corn farm level

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some notable farm levels in video games?

Criteria:

Game must not specifically be a farming game or centered around farming gamplay, so no farming simulators of farming-centric games. This means no Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, Rune Factory, Stardew Valley, Farming Simulator, and (unfortunately) The Void.

Farming must be a theme to a specific area and section of the game, an area that you can specifically describe as being "the farm level" or "the farm area" and others familiar with the game would understand what you were referring to, instead of just games that happen to have farming in them such as Terraria or Minecraft.

-space station silicon valley's got the battery farm
-mario kart's moo moo farm
-various zelda games have nice farms
-spyro 2 has a farm level in the final world

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Ok, now what are some games with have an airport level

toy story 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i generally don't watch anime - broadly i'm just not that interested in the subject matter - a show called Food Wars stuck out while browsing Netflix - I thought oh a cooking based anime that could be fun and literally within 4 minutes there is a squid groping a schoolgirl with its tentacles

someday delicious in dungeon will get an anime and i can recommend it to everyone i know even more than i already do...

stev posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. In my head that level was an impossibly huge labyrinth of luggage convertor belts. I'm sure it's actually five minutes long though.

That game felt weirdly ambitious for a quick kids movie tie in. Same goes for Bugs Life.

licensed games had decent odds of being pretty good back then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
deckbuilders aren't really in vogue anymore but i still hold out hope that maybe lost kingdoms will see the light of day again

also i started up sonic generations over the weekend and there's so much affection put into it that love fills my heart, from classic sonic doing his little wiggle as he runs to the shadow battle intro recreating sa2b's title screen to all the music, new and old, it's so good