Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I've played 20 hours Yakuza Kiwami in the last week or so and it's been a really great time. Wandering around Kamurocho and meeting all sorts of interesting people and then also probably punching them has been a real treat. I'm kind of bummed that I'm extremely late to the Yakuza party (played 0 last year and loved it and forgot to put it on my GOTY), but excited about what lay ahead for me.

Kiwami 2 is so much better than the first one in every conceivable way (unless you love grinding Majima fights). Look forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yakuza Kiwami is in the books, and I have to say that second to last boss is some real dog water

All of the bosses in that game are painful, especially the ones with guns and adds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Metroid 4 let's goooooooooooooooooooooo

Three hours of Treehouse is a fair bit shorter than usual isn't it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffleman_ posted:

"Exclusively focused on Nintendo Switch software"

No Pro, which I still refuse to believe exists, since it's totally existed like four times now.

Also Nintendo's not gonna risk splitting the playerbase of one of their most successful consoles with the sequel to the game that helped catapult it into success.

Games that are enhanced by the Pro could still run on the OG Switch though so it's still true. :ohdear:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If the Switch hadn't been such a huge success I'd expect a console announcement towards the end of this year. As it is it'll probably be another two years at least.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

Nintendo should send have sent a personal thank you to everyone who bought a New Nintendo 3ds for being their biggest marks

Remember when Nintendo gave away the most requested GBA ports for free to 3DS early adopters and never released them again?

Batshit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

Something I do like is how so far the "world" has been "some random rear end city in a desert" with locales like "this grassland to the west" and "some cliffs to the east" and the main quest and class quests have been "see what's up with this noble and some smugglers in a lovely mine" and "learn that your mentor sucks rear end at everything because he's an Old and get him feeling good about himself again". Not everything has to be a big god drat ordeal, you know? I guess there's some stupid bullshit about crystals and light and darkness and the Traveler but I skipped those cutscenes. It's also nice that the stuff I'm getting is mostly just "some sword" and "a tabard" instead of Dark Lord's Greaves of Fire Resistance or whatever lol, I like how things are just things, nothing special about anything really

:stare:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Relax Or DIE posted:

they probably could have made it this year but they had to finish tacking on rpg mechanics

The RPG mechanics in the first one were good.

I can't think of many high profile games slated for a 2021 release anyway so I'm not expecting much to change on that front. No one realistically thought GoW was dropping this year anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stux posted:

interesting tactic to have no games on ps5 for 2 full years

You'll be able to buy FF7R again next week!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

The only delay that feels :negative: to me is Gran Turismo 7. I can live with other games being pushed back to 2022.

They're still making Gran Turismo games?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

They don't do the Old Republic thing of holding back basic features like a second hotbar for F2Pers? I know the restrictions aren't quite as strict as they used to be.

It's a straight up free trial. It's not like SWTOR or LOTRO where free players are just second class citizens playing a broken game with half the content missing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

yeah id like to see FF6 with modern graphics

I hear Square is remaking something else at the moment but maybe after.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LionArcher posted:

(I paid Gamestop the bullshit $100 on launch day to secure it)

You actually had to pay that amount for the pre-order? Or was that a deposit?

If they charge that to secure the order wow.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sw2tch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tag yourself I'm sekiro

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GameFAQs is good for glancing at a guide's contents page and gauging roughly how far through a game you are.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The whole of the ESA only still exists because of inertia anyway. Hopefully a few more years will kill it for good.

That said I do sort of miss the spectacle of the ridiculous booths and on-the-floor coverage. I can't remember the last time I watched a game preview filmed from a camera, commentated by a PR rep with a deafening crowd noise in the background.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm happy to give Firaxis a shot on just about anything but if that's the main thing they've been working on for the last few years that's a real shame.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Relax Or DIE posted:

chimera squad wasn't bad so a marvel XCOM could work, I don't see a world where it's not bogged down by gaas nonsense and promotion-focused decisions though

Yeah 2K is absolute poison for that poo poo right now. XCOM has managed to avoid it so far but IIRC Civ 6 is now a season based GAAS-lite. There's no way a Marvel one won't end up resembling one of the many Marvel phone gacha/scam games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

Why did the Kingdom Hearts story end up the way it did? It seems like the main Kingdom Hearts story could be entirely sustained purely on KH exclusive characters, like, what's the point of Final Fantasy and Disney poo poo being there? Would it just have been too much of a nightmare to craft and get approved any narrative that involved FF/Disney properties, to the point where the best they could do si compartmentalize that stuff as best as possible and focus on a bunch of OC characters with dumb names, horrible personalities, forgettable character designs, with deliberately obtuse contrivances woven in just everywhere?

The Disney and FF stuff is the good part of the series.

It's a huge shame they gave up on the FF aspects. The whole point of the thing was a crazy unexpected crossover with a few original characters thrown in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't tell whether this is great in spite of the wrong sounding Woody impression (from Tom Hanks' younger brother?!) or because of it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FirstAidKite posted:

From a local bakery

Those hulk faces got some yanaika energy

Reported to Disney. They're going down.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looper posted:

toy story 2

Oh gently caress yeah. In my head that level was an impossibly huge labyrinth of luggage convertor belts. I'm sure it's actually five minutes long though.

That game felt weirdly ambitious for a quick kids movie tie in. Same goes for Bugs Life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

Just wanted to say a big gently caress you to whichever dickhead was behind the decision to price PS5 games at $125 aud at retail.

Amazon is selling Ratch and Clank at $99, which is likely where I'll be going, but fuuuuck me this is some straight up price gouging horseshit.

$80 was fine you fucks :argh:

Yerp. They're trying to raise the RRP on games to £70 in the UK, which is apparently the equivalent of $125aud. £50 was a massive stretch but this is just ridiculous.

e: Shockingly Amazon UK has Demon's Souls down to £50 which is hopefully a sign that people aren't buying new games at the higher price.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think a dev spunking money up the wall and putting out a hideously bloated product like RDR2 justifies paying more for it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

My new pc not only doesn't have a disc drive it doesn't have a slot in the frame for it

Rip

Do they even do disc versions of PC games anymore?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Simone Magus posted:

It was just an example.

Replace RDR2 with whatever game you like that required an exponentially greater amount of work than most other games. FF7R, if you like. The point isn't the specific example.

Sure, but that already happens to a large extent. Low budget games and indies rarely cost more than £20, mid budget games range from £30-40 and AAA games cost whatever the publisher feels like charging. It's not like some AAA games are inherently worth more money than others because of their development cost.

Games are already too expensive and insanely profitable. I just don't like the idea of giving publishers an excuse to charge even more. And as others have pointed out the people actually adding value to the game wouldn't see a single penny of that premium cost.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I paid £95 to see Coldplay. Actually I paid £190 because I was taking my then-girlfriend. I have regrets.

£50 is the sweet spot for a good gig these days (which is also what I paid for Gorillaz) but it's rare that big bands will be less than £70.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mutata posted:

I once paid full weekend festival prices just to see Daft Punk and it was worth it.

Hell if I'd known they wouldn't play live after the late 2000s I'd have paid out the nose to see them. Although I wouldn't have been able to afford to pay out the nose in the late 2000s.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, apparently the new Ratchet & Clank is genuinely really good. Now there are two whole games I wish I had a PS5 to play.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1402299907164229632?s=19

I get that it's a small run passion project but I wish this thing was like £80. Given that the games are entirely unknown but almost certainly just tiny little goofy things it seems like a relatively huge down-payment.

Sub <£100 I'd totally take a punt on though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mutata posted:

I agree, but I was talking about this with other folks and we looked up that the original Gameboy was $90, which is $190 in 2021 money. :shrug: That was "stipped down modern gaming" and the Playdate is "polished up retro gaming", and it's definitely a lot of money, but that's probably what it actually should cost, to be frank.

Oh definitely, I'm sure they're barely making a penny on it and it's worth it hardware wise. It's just extremely hard to justify in a world where everyone owns at least a few massive experimental indie game bundles.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cactus posted:

Am I best off playing Beyond: Two Souls for the first time in chronological story order or the original time-jumps everywhere cut?

Quantic Dream rendered Elliot Page's fully nude body without his knowledge or consent for no reason.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Does anybody actually think doritospope plays games? He really comes across as somebody who enjoys being a part of the industry but has very little interest in the final products.

I get the impression that he gamés with the gamiést of them. Dude's passionate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fridge corn posted:

Idk sonic to me is something that has so many fans but it looks so bad that I cant comprehend why it's so popular despite not having much experience with it myself so I'm gonna say Discworld

Sonic and Pratchett are both fervent anti-capitalists so it checks out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've heard discworld being called children's books a bunch

I remember my primary school library having tons of Discworld books. I tried reading Hogfather when I was 9 because I liked Narnia and Harry Potter and it seemed to be basically the same.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What if you listened to Avril Lavigne?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What possible value could anyone get out of Fifa's source code?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

black market FIFA Ultimate Team cards...

Oh yeah. Sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hatty posted:

Sekiro only came out two years ago the wait hasn’t been long at all lmao

The issue is that Dark Souls 3 was five years ago and as great as Sekiro was most people saw it as a cute little little side project between Souls and Ring.

That and the two years of radio silence hosed with people's heads. They shouldn't have announced it so early.