Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Sure, Mexico, go right ahead and try to throw hands with the one team in CONCACAF that grew up playing hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
love to see a serbian goalie shithousing mexico

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Hello American friends we too have kicked the poo poo out of Mexico.

Sure it is only the 5th time EVER we do that and sure we collapsed at the end but

WE BEAT EL TRI

El tri got ZERO, NADA points in this window

loving lol

How should we Canadians feel and treat the "Giants of Concacaf?" Btw, we got 4 points off of Mexico this cycle and don't play them again lol

stab fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 17, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Concacaf/status/1460817003216785408

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stab posted:

Hello American friends we too have kicked the poo poo out of Mexico.

Sure it is only the 5th time EVER we do that and sure we collapsed at the end but

WE BEAT EL TRI

El tri got ZERO, NADA points in this window

loving lol

How should we Canadians feel and treat the "Giants of Concacaf?" Btw, we got 4 points off of Mexico this cycle and don't play them again lol

As an American with Canadian heritage, this is the greatest week of soccer

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Tata must tiptoe out the door

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Hard to say the turning point in this one wasn't taking that Doneil Henry out of the game lol.. could have been a very different result if Herdman had stuck with him

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Starsfan posted:

Hard to say the turning point in this one wasn't taking that Doneil Henry out of the game lol.. could have been a very different result if Herdman had stuck with him

Herdman for Prime Minister

Also American friends who speak spanish, as we now have a 2 month break until the next window, can you please post choice El Tri meltdowns in this thread so we non spanish speaking people can see the fury and veins popping out of their heads while we lol

stab fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 17, 2021

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/MLS_Buzz/status/1460823596201385990

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Big :hmmyes: to that.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Having emigrated to Canada from England and so being used to watching UEFA games I've come to enjoy the CONCACAF shithousing immensely

I thought Italy was the peak of shithousery, how wrong I was

Also, world cup bound woooooooooooooooooo

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Alctel posted:

Also, world cup bound woooooooooooooooooo

I hear people saying this and I don't get it.. only the top 3 teams are guaranteed spots in the World Cup, and right now Canada (although leading the field) is only 2 points up of 4th place Panama.. and we got to go down there and play them in their stadium in March.

Is the runner up tournament that trivially easy to win to get in the World Cup for the 4th place team? Cause right now it looks to me like the margin is still razor thin

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Starsfan posted:

I hear people saying this and I don't get it.. only the top 3 teams are guaranteed spots in the World Cup, and right now Canada (although leading the field) is only 2 points up of 4th place Panama.. and we got to go down there and play them in their stadium in March.

Is the runner up tournament that trivially easy to win to get in the World Cup for the 4th place team? Cause right now it looks to me like the margin is still razor thin

3rd place is going to Jamaica it’s fine

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CBS Sports posted:

Cyle Larin opened the scoring right before half as Alistair Johnson had his shot saved by Memo Ochoa, who parried it right into Larin's path. Ochoa may have been impacted by the cold or spent too much time looking in the mirror but it was a costly mistake.

...what?

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-cup-qualifying

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/mls/status/1459375034934431751?s=21

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

The quote was largely about MLS wanting to reflect the club structure of Mexico (as in being more competitive in the MLS+LigaMX tournaments), but he also mentioned that at the federation level, the US needs a rivalry and within CONCACAF it's Mexico who they end up having to measure against in terms of historic success (Gold Cup wins, World Cup appearances, etc.).

But not surprised US fans want to spin it into something it's not. :shrug:

Tortilla Maker fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 17, 2021

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Good morning thread

Reminder Mexico got 0 points in this window

El Tri lost to both Canada and the USA

just lol forever

stab fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 17, 2021

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Tortilla Maker posted:

The quote was largely about MLS wanting to reflect the club structure of Mexico (as in being more competitive in the MLS+Little tournaments), but he also mentioned that at the federation level, the US needs a rivalry and within CONCACAF it's Mexico who they end up having to measure against in terms of historic success (Gold Cup wins, World Cup appearances, etc.).

But not surprised US fans want to spin it into something it's not. :shrug:

MLS is bad but lets be real, Liga MX is poo poo too, they cant compete with south american clubs and mexico is a minnow on the world stage, they've only ever made it as far as the WC quarterfinals twice and they hosted both times. A lot of their fans act like they're some respected power when they're a joke

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Starsfan posted:

henry got the start to intentionally kick the poo poo out of mexicans for 30 minutes. this was planned and nothing will convince me otherwise.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

African AIDS cum posted:

MLS is bad but lets be real, Liga MX is poo poo too, they cant compete with south american clubs and mexico is a minnow on the world stage, they've only ever made it as far as the WC quarterfinals twice and they hosted both times. A lot of their fans act like they're some respected power when they're a joke

Being the big fish in a little pond will do that

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Starsfan posted:

counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/adamkjenkins/status/1460854630791847950?t=ZcTfMnWXMA7Ult27IBlcEA&s=19

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Canadian Soccer is cocky as hell this morning and I'm here for it

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

African AIDS cum posted:

He was talking about MLS in the context of LigaMX and domestic (i.e., CONCACAF) tournaments. So I think you're getting upset over some argument you think you're far apart on.

And in discussing soccer at the federation level, he was also referring to Mexico's senior team performance at Confederations Cup competitions (when those were a thing) as well as the success of the u-23 squads (i.e., Olympics) and youth squads (World Cups, and other international tournaments).

The interview was about Mexico's role in setting the bar in terms of competition within CONCACAF. Memo was saying that until a team surpasses Mexico in whatever quantifiable historic measure you want to take, other teams have to measure themselves against Mexico, and that that's okay and natural. And that when you're just behind Mexico, you (the US) naturally paints it in the framework of rivalry. But all he'd saying is the US wants to lead CONCACAF in terms of Golf Cups, men's Olympic Medals, World Cup qualifications, youth World Cups, etc.

Don't see what's hard to comprehend (or why argue) against that. But go on, get angry that Memo said that US Soccer isn't the best in the world.

:laugh:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Nice meltdown

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Writing a 50 page treatise on how Mexico was not owned

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Grr. So angry!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

He was talking about MLS in the context of LigaMX and domestic (i.e., CONCACAF) tournaments. So I think you're getting upset over some argument you think you're far apart on.

And in discussing soccer at the federation level, he was also referring to Mexico's senior team performance at Confederations Cup competitions (when those were a thing) as well as the success of the u-23 squads (i.e., Olympics) and youth squads (World Cups, and other international tournaments).

The interview was about Mexico's role in setting the bar in terms of competition within CONCACAF. Memo was saying that until a team surpasses Mexico in whatever quantifiable historic measure you want to take, other teams have to measure themselves against Mexico, and that that's okay and natural. And that when you're just behind Mexico, you (the US) naturally paints it in the framework of rivalry. But all he'd saying is the US wants to lead CONCACAF in terms of Golf Cups, men's Olympic Medals, World Cup qualifications, youth World Cups, etc.

Don't see what's hard to comprehend (or why argue) against that. But go on, get angry that Memo said that US Soccer isn't the best in the world.

LLLL Tri

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Tortilla Maker posted:

https://twitter.com/MLS_Buzz/status/1460817909702402048

Mexico is a country of 127 million people with soccer as it's primary sport, and they are losing to a cold-weather country of 36 million people that could probably produce three different gold medalist hockey teams without needing to take anything away from soccer

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Starsfan posted:

I'm pretty sure the 4th place playoff is still against the OFC team, who are generally not good

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Tortilla Maker posted:

The confed cup, olympics, and youth tournies are a joke. More smalltime mentality from mexico.we have passed them by.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

AsInHowe posted:

https://twitter.com/MLS_Buzz/status/1460817909702402048

Mexico is a country of 127 million people with soccer as it's primary sport, and they are losing to a cold-weather country of 36 million people that could probably produce three different gold medalist hockey teams without needing to take anything away from soccer

Cool, hockey.

Try harder.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tortilla Maker posted:

Cool, hockey.

Try harder.

https://i.imgur.com/8dBXMeb.mp4

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Now Memo is the man in the rearview mirror

stab
Feb 12, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

Now Memo is the man in the rearview mirror

Where is the video of the 4 goals Memo let in playing with MJ's song looped in the background

Come on internet

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Has the inter-confederation playoff been set yet? Everything I'm seeing is the draw hasn't happened yet... so it's not guaranteed vs the OFC candidate. Could be any of the teams below

Fourth place CONCACAF
OFC winner
CONMEBOL 5th place
AFC playoff winner

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Tortilla Maker posted:

Cool, hockey.

Try harder.

Why would we need to try harder, we already won

stab
Feb 12, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Why would we need to try harder, we already won

Ya so did we

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Omnikin posted:

Has the inter-confederation playoff been set yet? Everything I'm seeing is the draw hasn't happened yet... so it's not guaranteed vs the OFC candidate. Could be any of the teams below

CONMEBOL 5th place

yeah I don't like the looks of this at all for the 4th place qualifier from CONCACAF... could be loving Colombia or Uruguay.

It's hard not to have a ton of confidence in the Canadians right now though, they've proven that they are a match for every other team in the bracket.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

concacaf should work together to make Mexico finish 5th imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Omnikin posted:

Fourth place CONCACAF
OFC winner
CONMEBOL 5th place
AFC playoff winner

The draw has not happened yet. My guess would be the draw will take place when they do the World Cup group stage draw on April 1st 2022.