Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wow do I suck at this kind of game. But I still enjoy them profoundly. Chiv 2 is what I wish Mordhau would have been, except the latter has better graphics but it doesn't really matter that much - ok the combat is more fluid and maybe realistic? in Mordhau, but sometimes - for me, most times - you just want to yell bloody murder and smash someone in the face with a morningstar, and Chiv 2 seems a LOT more newbie/casual friendly.

One thing I wish they could nail is making a proper matchmaking, it's so good when you're fighting people around your same level of skill (or more skilled but without the "haha I'll kill you in a second and say EZ" mindset, it can be fun getting schooled properly, I must try duel servers) that it's a pity when you're put in a server where everyone is so much better than you. It's early days so of course we'll have to see how it shakes out but I don't think there's any plan for a ranked mode or ELO-like matchmaking? The basics seem to be there, with all those stats the game counts like damage dealt/taken, assists, kills, etc...

My biggest problem is that I can do quite well in 1vs1 but get absolutely screwed in XvsX because I'm playing poleman and teammates run in front of my mega reach halberd swings/overheads :argh: and can't quite keep track of my position at all times when I'm trying to hit enemies and avoid mauling teammates so I get surrounded or jumped from behind, any tips on how to improve battlefield awareness without using 3rd person mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pop pop pop

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnergeticBeautifulJayPoooound-EJwFBrGECr1UWyX0

lol my twitch seems to think every game I'm playing is Hunt: Showdown

also, found out you might be able to grief people by running into their spike traps. I almost got booted toward the end of this game because my dumb loving team wouldn't watch where they were going and I kept getting dinged for team damage lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 10, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is it really non stop pop pop if there's no stainless steel?

Also I could swear that exact same opportunity for griefing existed in launch Mordhau? :allears:

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Victory Position posted:

What's the best weapon you've found for throwing so far? I like throwing my polearms, but I wonder if throwing swords and the like work as well.

IMO throwing swords is more accurate and the arc is easier to line up. Haven’t unlocked all of the raider subclass weapons yet but I like sword primary/axe secondary, throw the sword and axe em as they respond

Although at the end of last session I unlocked ambusher... seven throwing knives and two short swords to throw? :chanpop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man I am loving the spear. The charge attack is great for opening up combat with 2-3 people by taking one out right away if you can hit it. People just seem to have a hard time dealing with the range of it. I need to work on my back dashing to maintain distance when someone's up in my face but it's just as satisfying doing a quick juke to the side and putting a spear through their head. loving game rules.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

missing the 1v1 arena servers rn. duel servers aren't quite the same, even if I love the shenanigans like "everyone chases the guy with a turkey"

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Picked up a chicken and arced it into a crowd pushing the objective. Landed squarely on someone's head, crushing it for 75 damage.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I killed someone by throwing roses at them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

People do not like reviving teammates in this game, do they? I've revived so many guys who were in the middle of a pack of teammates doing nothing or when I need a revive and there's 3 teammates dancing around as if I'm not even there. :mad:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

explosivo posted:

People do not like reviving teammates in this game, do they? I've revived so many guys who were in the middle of a pack of teammates doing nothing or when I need a revive and there's 3 teammates dancing around as if I'm not even there. :mad:

i dont notice downed people in this game unless basically nothing else is going on. i dont know why. I do try and get people up when I actually consciously see them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aardvark! posted:

i dont notice downed people in this game unless basically nothing else is going on. i dont know why. I do try and get people up when I actually consciously see them

Yeah that might just be it. People are likely too busy swinging huge swords to see the dude crawling on the floor.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

explosivo posted:

Just punch someone a couple times and get yourself up. BOOTSTRAPS

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Had no idea this was out...guess I have a second excuse to download Epic Game Store.

I also had no idea the first game allowed third person what a bizarre design choice.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I am only consistently not revived crawling in front of (scum) archers, they are probably zoomed in shooting teammates in the back of the head and aren’t seeing what’s at their feet.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm a total idiot.

How do you actually change your loadouts? Is there a minimum level before you can do that?

(Chiv2)

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm a total idiot.

How do you actually change your loadouts? Is there a minimum level before you can do that?

(Chiv2)

The in game pause menu will let you change class. You have to level up in a particular class to unlock more weapons and subclasses

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

beggar posted:

The in game pause menu will let you change class. You have to level up in a particular class to unlock more weapons and subclasses

Thanks. In the game's defence, I've been having so much fun I don't even really mind not switching weapons but I want to try and find something that fits my playstyle which is "incredibly bad but still having fun".

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

eonwe posted:

I killed someone by throwing roses at them

I've downed teammates by hitting them in the head with a bandage kit :shepface:

It, too, makes a satisfying thwack now, I think that was added.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i havent switched off man at arms yet lol. i am convinced that the one handed spear/shield combo on it will make me the most annoying person on the server and so i Must Unlock It :hai:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Victory Position posted:

it, too, makes a satisfying thwack now, I think that was added

yeah uh I was wondering if medkits bonking teammates for team damage was intentional or a bug. I don't remember it doing that in the beta so did they add that for some reason?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm a total idiot.

(Chiv2)

Hit L on PC, I think.

Victory Position posted:

It, too, makes a satisfying thwack now, I think that was added.

I thought the team bandages would heal if you threw them at people, it took a while until I noticed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Megafunk posted:

I think chiv 2 just doesn't feel as "solid" as Mordhau does. Every movement is jerky and hit detection feels awful. That said, I love how it focusses on big battles first instead of trying to be a dueling game. I'll miss being able to 1v3 newbies though.

chivalry 1 had nearly perfect hit detection really early on until the devs got a bee up their rear end and decided to make every weapon's hitbox actually track with the weapon model, which sounds good in theory but almost no game does it because in practice it sucks rear end

wouldn't be surprised if chiv 2 continued that trend, although i'll probably pick it up eventually to play with a friend of mine who was, like, a world-class chivalry 1 player

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/gkfqOo6.mp4

:allears:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
How long does it take to, say, get all of the available weapons/types? And is the free beta still running or is it paid only now?

Nordick posted:

I am very bad and have no idea what I'm doing

cheers friend

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Play posted:

How long does it take to, say, get all of the available weapons/types? And is the free beta still running or is it paid only now?

It's released now, so paid only from now on.

As for unlocking speed, I've played for about six hours, and reached level seven with the three melee classes (so about two hours per class), unlocking all of their subclasses and about half their weaponry. Since the leveling seems to be slowing down a bit as you get up, I'd estimate it'll take a little less than twice that to level them through and unlock all their weapons. So let's put that at about 5-6 hours playtime to unlock all weapons of a given class, or about 20 hours to do so for all four classes.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

explosivo posted:

yeah uh I was wondering if medkits bonking teammates for team damage was intentional or a bug. I don't remember it doing that in the beta so did they add that for some reason?

They didn't in the previous beta, so this is weird behavior. It hits for something to the tune of 3 on an ally and 10 on an enemy. I have noticed that you can throw the bandage kit differently depending on whether or not you're wielding a shield, so you'll throw longer with a two-handed weapon or one-handed weapon or underhanded with a shield on your arm.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I thought the team bandages would heal if you threw them at people, it took a while until I noticed.

They do heal, but it'll apply the impact damage first before applying the heal over time, which is the crucial bit in why it's knocking the wounded over into dying.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Team damage seems to consistently be 25%. This is easy to see if you’re, say, trying to learn to hit the dagger special and keep accidentally stabbing your allies in the eye.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry for the lame question but how is the progression/unlocks/cosmetics/etc? This game looks fun as hell and I’ve been thinking of grabbing it on the PS5 since I’ve been itching for some sort of traditional but unique multiplayer game to dig into. I absolutely love and currently miss the medieval setting in games and all but I want something that will really get it’s hooks in me and make me want to push for the next unlock etc.

I have to say the game feel looks amazing in these videos. I haven’t played the original but I can just tell it’s satisfying to play. The sound design seems killer too. The constant screaming owns.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The female voice battle screams are real good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry for the lame question but how is the progression/unlocks/cosmetics/etc? This game looks fun as hell and I’ve been thinking of grabbing it on the PS5 since I’ve been itching for some sort of traditional but unique multiplayer game to dig into. I absolutely love and currently miss the medieval setting in games and all but I want something that will really get it’s hooks in me and make me want to push for the next unlock etc.

I have to say the game feel looks amazing in these videos. I haven’t played the original but I can just tell it’s satisfying to play. The sound design seems killer too. The constant screaming owns.

Progression is pretty painless, honestly. You have a global level that unlocks cosmetics and class levels that unlock new weapons/other classes. This post from Perestroika a few posts up is a good summary:

Perestroika posted:

It's released now, so paid only from now on.

As for unlocking speed, I've played for about six hours, and reached level seven with the three melee classes (so about two hours per class), unlocking all of their subclasses and about half their weaponry. Since the leveling seems to be slowing down a bit as you get up, I'd estimate it'll take a little less than twice that to level them through and unlock all their weapons. So let's put that at about 5-6 hours playtime to unlock all weapons of a given class, or about 20 hours to do so for all four classes.

To me the core gameplay is so much fun that it doesn't really matter what weapon I'm using or what level I am, it's not really something I look at but keep unlocking stuff so it's been nice.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Couple things

1.) This game is amazing, and I loved Chivalry 1

2.) They need to do something about either tying gestures to voice lines, or the voice spam blocker - because the game is too quiet and I don't hear nearly enough of the constant cacophony of laughs/yes/no/taunts

3.) What the hell did they do to my man at arms? He doesn't get firepots anymore, the little NYEH isn't unique to him anymore, why would I play him vs a knight or vanguard just wheeling a two hander about everywhere?

4.) Feints are useless now?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

3.) What the hell did they do to my man at arms? He doesn't get firepots anymore, the little NYEH isn't unique to him anymore, why would I play him vs a knight or vanguard just wheeling a two hander about everywhere?

The shovel (with bear trap that no one ever sees)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Man nailing somebody with a thrown Dane axe is so satisfying

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Man nailing somebody with a thrown Dane axe is so satisfying

the way it sticks straight out their back as they sprint around is hilarious

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

e: nvm

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 10, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

kind of don't like the progression to be honest. I mostly don't like how it's not even for each of the classes, like they clearly want to you play Knight the most since not only does the knight get a little of everything (good primaries, throwing weapons, shields, the last Knight class is basically Fat Vanguard with firepot and everything) but the highest level unlockables, by a large, large margin (like 30-something Vanguard I think compared to 80 Knight) are for the Mason Knight. And that's XP you ONLY get by playing Knight, it's not tied to global.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

kind of don't like the progression to be honest. I mostly don't like how it's not even for each of the classes, like they clearly want to you play Knight the most since not only does the knight get a little of everything (good primaries, throwing weapons, shields, the last Knight class is basically Fat Vanguard with firepot and everything) but the highest level unlockables, by a large, large margin (like 30-something Vanguard I think compared to 80 Knight) are for the Mason Knight. And that's XP you ONLY get by playing Knight, it's not tied to global.

I really hope more classes and unlocks come later down the pipe. I am getting really good at playing longbow but I never use anything but the bow.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I like the class/subclass/weapon system - not the progression stuff, but the overall level of customization. just enough to have decent decision making without the intricate individual armor piece and perk options of Mordhau making you question your choices all the time

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aardvark! posted:

I like the class/subclass/weapon system - not the progression stuff, but the overall level of customization. just enough to have decent decision making without the intricate individual armor piece and perk options of Mordhau making you question your choices all the time

Yeah they hosed up Chivalry 1 when I came back to it by letting people color their armor. People seemed to intentionally choose dark or weird colors and even a split second of not knowing if they're friendly or not is all they needed. I like the heraldry because they can add more cool looking ones but keep them clearly red/blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay I bought the sword game. I’m about to eat some trashy fast food and then get super stoned and bonk people in the head for hours. I’m forever my teen self hell yeah. Might gently caress around and blast some power metal too who knows.