Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I miss OG man at arms. What's the point if everyone has the sidestep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

explosivo posted:

Yeah they hosed up Chivalry 1 when I came back to it by letting people color their armor. People seemed to intentionally choose dark or weird colors and even a split second of not knowing if they're friendly or not is all they needed. I like the heraldry because they can add more cool looking ones but keep them clearly red/blue

I bought the, I think, 2nd kingsman vanguard outfit for Agatha which is mostly all white.

When you get bloody, you sure look like a mason to both teams which has been both good and bad but entertaining as heck.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've definitely hit teammates that were on fire or all burnt up. Better to strike first and find out later

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Just make Agathians crab people. Problem Solved

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 10, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Play posted:

cheers friend

Update: After a few hours I got slightly less bad and started having the occasional fleeting glimpse of insight into what I was doing. I even managed to hover above 1.0 kdr in a couple matches. (Not that I'm some sweaty tryhard who cares about KDR itself, it's just a handy metric for how successfully I'm smashing faces.)

My main problem is still the same as it's always been: Doesn't matter how well I know how to do counter strikes and whatever, because the instant I get within 10 feet of an enemy, it all flies out the window as my lizard brain takes over and I devolve into a button mashing moron. Knowing the system is one thing, getting my brain to apply it in action is another thing entirely.

Also I do miss the free customisation from Mordhau, I'm not crazy about this class based thing. But it's not a huge deal.

All that said, game good. I hope we get more female voices at some point. Mason's screaming Irish lunatic lady is v. good though.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Famethrowa posted:

I miss OG man at arms. What's the point if everyone has the sidestep?

I don't know but there's probably a reason like 2% of the playerbase is the Footman/man at arms

I just miss the original one from the beta or whatever when they were faster and had the NYEH

Now everyone does and their perk is.....you can go into sprint mode faster? like wtf lol

the whole point of Mason Order MAA was spamming "heeelp! i need HEEELP!" and "no!" when you ran away from knights in the original

quote:

Doesn't matter how well I know how to do counter strikes and whatever, because the instant I get within 10 feet of an enemy, it all flies out the window as my lizard brain takes over and I devolve into a button mashing moron. Knowing the system is one thing, getting my brain to apply it in action is another thing entirely.

That's because there's so much mayhem and wild two handers being swung around at neck level that trying to get cute often gets you killed lol, so your lizard brain just goes "DOESNT WORK LETS MASH M1"

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 10, 2021

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Never played Mordhau, only Chiv 1. But if it’s any consolation, you can pick up any dropped weapon, not just ones restricted to your class.

If you wanna be a knight with a bow, you can find and kill and archer and make it real.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The main advantage to man at arms is that the polehammer is a hosed up good weapon that ruins days for your opponent with the strongest special attack in the game.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mdct posted:

The main advantage to man at arms is that the polehammer is a hosed up good weapon that ruins days for your opponent with the strongest special attack in the game.

It is a heat-seeking bludgeon of death that will impact with an incoming teammate's foot 90% of the time as they awkwardly shuffle in front of you from the side :eng99:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

oswald ownenstein posted:

I don't know but there's probably a reason like 2% of the playerbase is the Footman/man at arms

I just miss the original one from the beta or whatever when they were faster and had the NYEH

Now everyone does and their perk is.....you can go into sprint mode faster? like wtf lol

the whole point of Mason Order MAA was spamming "heeelp! i need HEEELP!" and "no!" when you ran away from knights in the original

That's because there's so much mayhem and wild two handers being swung around at neck level that trying to get cute often gets you killed lol, so your lizard brain just goes "DOESNT WORK LETS MASH M1"
I've been mostly playing Poleman and Engineer (Shovel gets all the hype, but oh my god the Sledgehammer Q has a sudden forward lunge at the end of the windup that keeps catching people off guard :allears: ), but one thing that stands out to me about Man at Arms isn't "Well they have a shorter dodge cooldown!", or their weapon selection.

It is the fact they removed the tackle the other two Footman subclasses have. He has a small shield, he should be BETTER at tackling Captain America style. So MAA can't running shoulder tackle other MAA off a cliff. Now I'm wondering if only some of the Knight subclasses have Tackle, on that note.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
^
I KNOW!

How could they loving remove the tackle???

Oh well. I still love the game.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Victory Position posted:

It is a heat-seeking bludgeon of death that will impact with an incoming teammate's foot 90% of the time as they awkwardly shuffle in front of you from the side :eng99:

I mean sure but that foot is gonna take 25 or 37 damage depending on who you hit it with and it's gonna like it.

That aside, it's reasonably fast, pretty long, and it still has a strong thrust, so it's like good in every respect. It's kind of a strict upgrade to the halberd in a lot of ways and I would never use the glaive over it (though the Spear has a niche that it doesn't fill, obviously.)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I thought that the polehammer stops swinging on hit, did they change that?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
That's not really a problem when a lot of the time in groups you want to rein in your hit immediately to block anyway. Besides, you keep going if it killed someone.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

:siren: Agatha has CRAB heraldry :siren:

That is all

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

:siren: Agatha has CRAB heraldry :siren:

That is all

I knew I made the right choice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That shovel sure does have a satisfying thonk. poo poo breaks a LOT while guarding though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mdct posted:

I mean sure but that foot is gonna take 25 or 37 damage depending on who you hit it with and it's gonna like it.

That aside, it's reasonably fast, pretty long, and it still has a strong thrust, so it's like good in every respect. It's kind of a strict upgrade to the halberd in a lot of ways and I would never use the glaive over it (though the Spear has a niche that it doesn't fill, obviously.)

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the glaive when I used it. Just didn't have that Sword of War feel I was looking for.

Also, spear continues to rule, ducking and weaving through people's attacks to pick them off one-by-one will never stop feeling quite so good :hellyeah:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Unlocked Javelins finally, enjoying it quite a bit they do good damage and the trap is fun.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Victory Position posted:

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the glaive when I used it. Just didn't have that Sword of War feel I was looking for.

Also, spear continues to rule, ducking and weaving through people's attacks to pick them off one-by-one will never stop feeling quite so good :hellyeah:

I can pretty much only top the charts in any given game if I'm playing Footman Spear Man. Playing Vanguard or Knight I am an exceedingly average player, but oh baby when I'm stabbing motherfuckers with my big rear end spear I feel like a loving God.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's definitely some standard genre funkiness going on of weapon hitboxes being way bigger than the models which probably helps the spear most of all but it's ultimately whatever.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Orv posted:

There's definitely some standard genre funkiness going on of weapon hitboxes being way bigger than the models which probably helps the spear most of all but it's ultimately whatever.

No I’m just insanely good with the spear (you’re almost certainly right, you can do all sorts of crazy poo poo by swinging while stabbing to nail guys who were behind you lol)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
If you're having issues as Knight but love yourself a spear, don't sleep on the one-handed spear and shield, it's a fantastic weapon. It's super long and the swings get around guards extremely well, and the thrusts are fast and high-damage.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

mdct posted:

I bought this game last night and I didn't have time to play for very long, but I did unlock the polehammer and it made me very happy. The Bec de Corbin was my favorite weapon back in the day playing the CRPG mod for M&B Warband and I'm feeling the same vibes here, it's so quick and satisfying to just hammer the poo poo out of people.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
finally hit 7 on each class so I can use each subclass

Archer took a long time before I just started using the short sword on archer and wrecking people like normal

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The 2h spear has horrible animations and hitboxes, it's great

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I want that spear + shield but I'm so poo poo with any of the shield classes. I don't know how to trade blows when I'm not parrying so I just hold up my shield until it disintegrates and get my head caved in

boz
Oct 16, 2005

explosivo posted:

I want that spear + shield but I'm so poo poo with any of the shield classes. I don't know how to trade blows when I'm not parrying so I just hold up my shield until it disintegrates and get my head caved in

When approaching an opponent throw your shield at them first, problem solved.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the 2H spear special is hilarious, I've killed like a dozen people by just waiting around a corner crouched down like a little goblin
speaking of specials if you're a bow user, your special move is a little bow slap and nerds charging in at you NEVER expected it, it'll stun them long enough to draw a small weapon like a knife or hatchet too

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the more I play the weapon speeds and hitboxes are extremely bad but ultimately it's still more fun than annoying so hopefully it just gets fixed.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I pick up the first 2h axe on the ground I see and usually do really good after that point

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Chivalry 2 is fun as hell holy poo poo

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In Chiv 2 on PC, how the hell do I throw bandages at other people?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

In Chiv 2 on PC, how the hell do I throw bandages at other people?

4 by default, it's the Footman class ability not just something anyone can do, if that's not clear.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

It feels pretty good when you captain america your shield and it bounces right back at you.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It feels pretty good when you captain america your shield and it bounces right back at you.

I threw my shield, weapon, and secondary weapon at an archer standing on a platform, didn't kill him but hit him, climbed up to the platform and punched him to death. i got my sword back but coudlnt find my shield for some reason and ended up dual wielding with a pumpkin for a super long line of fights. It is a good game

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

I threw my shield, weapon, and secondary weapon at an archer standing on a platform, didn't kill him but hit him, climbed up to the platform and punched him to death. i got my sword back but coudlnt find my shield for some reason and ended up dual wielding with a pumpkin for a super long line of fights. It is a good game

Yes!!! murder the bow wielding scum

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
If you throw your sword into the back of your teammate’s head, you can reclaim it and erase the evidence.

E: not advocating the practice of it. It happened and I didn’t mean it and got embarrassed.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 12, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://clips.twitch.tv/TenaciousDullSnailKappaWealth-YWC7F3cu8Tjg9Rb_

WBG Original Recipe (for Chiv Success), Extra Crispy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chuds McGreedy posted:

If you throw your sword into the back of your teammate’s head, you can reclaim it and erase the evidence.

E: not advocating the practice of it. It happened and I didn’t mean it and got embarrassed.

This is basically standard ammo conservation practice with the javelins, when I hit an ally I walk up to them and retrieve it. Javelins are great because the whole 1.5 meter weapon sticks out from the person's side or neck and they look like a fighting pincushion.