Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

megane posted:

I played the first beta but not the second. Any big changes?

The core gameplay stayed pretty much the same, they mostly just showcased some additional features. It had a couple more maps (especially objective-based ones) and visual customization. One nice thing was that they opened up a separate playlist for smaller 40-player servers, rather than the default 64 player ones. Those generally felt quite a bit more manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

boz posted:

Which class/subclass gets the shovel? Having trouble on google finding it.

The Footman has an Engineer subclass that gets it. They can choose from between a big old mallet or the shovel. Their main gimmick is being able to construct spikes and barricades, and doing extra damage to enemy structures as well. Which can be surprisingly useful in some of the objective-based maps.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Then again, block breakers are much more usable now as well. Kicks come out decently quick and guarantee a free hit if they connect against a block, so there's still value to baiting out a premature block. Of course that's can be countered by a, well, counter, but that can in turn be defeated with morphs.

Another thing I haven't yet experimented with too much is involving heavy and special attacks more. Apart from loving with the timing a bit, they do seem to drain quite a lot of stamina if blocked, so you may be able to legitimately work towards draining the stamina of a particularly defensive player in short order.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anybody else run into the bug where the armoury is marked with a notification indicating that there's something new, but there's nothing there and the notification never goes away? I've got that for all classes on all factions, and got no idea how to fix it. I tried swapping heads/gender as well to check whether it's about voices or facial hair, but no luck there either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/ciPiib6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/AfaNpmx.mp4

Game good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, refund on my end, too. May just turn that right back around and get myself the fancy collector's edition armour.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

megane posted:

This might be a stupid question, but how do I kill people who are competent at blocking? In Mordhau, they had to time and aim their blocks, so I could mix up directions and feint and eventually they’d miss a block and get hit, but in Chiv all they have to do is look vaguely in my direction and press right click in a huge window. Can’t kick them because they’re not holding block, just tapping it. Feinting just wastes my time, because there’s no concept of “missing a block” here; they can re-block instantly even if they started an attack. Can counter them, but that doesn’t stop them blocking the counter. Usually we just block -> riposte back and forth until one of us gets bored and backs off, or somebody else shows up and third-parties one of us.

The main thing to keep in mind is that while block does not have a maximum duration (aside from the stamina running out) it does have a minimum duration. Even if you only tap the block button for a moment, you will stay in the blocking state for at least half a second or thereabouts. Which is coincidentally just enough to get a nice kick in. So generally what I do is letting my opponent settle into that riposte - > riposte rhythm for an exchange or two, then immediately after my next block I'll follow up with a kick instead of a riposte. More often than not they're already blocking in anticipation of my attack. Against more defensive/aware opponents, you can also outright start a regular attack and then feint into a kick.

Another solid option is playing around weapon ranges. Attack recovery is quite long if you're not blocked, so if you manage to evade the attack with movement alone that's often a free hit. Of course that's less feasible if you're using shorter weapons. Finally, you can also try to incorporate more heavy and special attacks. They drain quite a bit more stamina and the latter lets you keep the initiative if it connects, so you win the stamina race and disarm them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

So now that I've had fun smashing some heads with a polehammer again, I'm amazed that GW hasn't licensed out Warhammer for one of these yet

I'm really hoping for themed DLCs down the line. Deadliest Warrior for Chiv 1 was hilarious, and Warhams would be a great fit as well.

Also, I'll never ever get tired of suddenly eating poo poo from ballistas and catapults :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/DZfEpQ3.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

These days you don't really need to convert stuff to gif anymore, since many places (including SA) support video files directly, which tend to be more efficient in terms of filesize to quality. Just upload your mp4 directly to imgur or wherever and paste the video link into your post with url tags, like so:

https://i.imgur.com/tKETwHK.mp4

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 10, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/gkfqOo6.mp4

:allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Play posted:

How long does it take to, say, get all of the available weapons/types? And is the free beta still running or is it paid only now?

It's released now, so paid only from now on.

As for unlocking speed, I've played for about six hours, and reached level seven with the three melee classes (so about two hours per class), unlocking all of their subclasses and about half their weaponry. Since the leveling seems to be slowing down a bit as you get up, I'd estimate it'll take a little less than twice that to level them through and unlock all their weapons. So let's put that at about 5-6 hours playtime to unlock all weapons of a given class, or about 20 hours to do so for all four classes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As much fun as Chiv 2 is, it's still remarkable/mindboggling how the archer's sole role is to make the game worse.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

archers and snipers fulfill the same role as counterspell decks in CCGs or zoners in fighting games

it's actually insanely good and funny to be able to tell people "no" and gently caress with them from outside their ability to retaliate, and as long as they're mechanically balanced and counterplay does actually exist in fact, the frustration the mode of play itself causes, and the superficial impression of being untouchable when it works isn't a problem and in fact is an essential part of what makes them hilarious

it's also the mirror image of and inseparable from how much fun it is to bash an archer's skull in

The trouble is that on half the maps the counterplay functionally doesn't exist. The objectives are so close to the objectives that even if you do carve your way to the archers, you'll just get swept up by the next wave of enemies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

I don't even know what the spear special's theoretical utility is. It seems to only trigger if they are already well within stabbing range and it does below average dmg, it just saves you a click? but you can also get interrupted out of it like a normal attack? idgi . Thank god the spear sprint attack owns.

It's basically a hard counter against people trying to tackle or sprint attack you, which can otherwise be a bit tricky to get the timing right for. Occasionally it can be useful to block doorways or ladders, too. But yeah, in practice it's kind of superfluous.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The archer fix is quite simple: One archer gets the bow. The next gets the arrow. When the archer with the bow falls, the archer with the arrow will pick up the bow.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krogort posted:

And the game simulate armour by giving more HP to heavier classes, so armour piercing weapons get a bonus against Knights.

Speaking of knight, I really like the base long sword. I feel it’s good at everything.
Just need to get around the weird negative mouse acceleration so I can helicopter properly, I often get hit by people although I feel safe behind them and it’s really annoying.

Yeah, longsword is a joy. The stabs are powerful, the cuts decent, but more importantly it's got good range and is surprisingly quick. Overall I actually prefer it over most of the chunkier weapons that the conqueror subclass gets.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Huh, the greatsword just seems to be 100% not worth it. It's got decent range, but is so ludicrously slow that you can barely capitalize on it. Both the Messer and the Longsword are outright superior, and that's before you even consider that they come with much less of a trade-off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mdct posted:

The Greatsword is bad at 1v1s compared to those other two weapons, yeah.

Where the greatsword shines is 1vX, where it's one of the best weapons in the game. Group fights mean countering someone from a mile away leading you to being invincible for a year as you carve through 3 other people trying to attack you at once; you cover such a huge area that the chances of you not hitting are entirely based on them not being there at all, or them blocking.

Even in that exact situation I still find the other swords tend to perform better. In 1vX situations the enemy will be all up in your rear end anyway, so range is rarely a factor in whether your ripostes hit them. But the longer windup means you miss hits you might've landed, and the longer recovery can lead to eating hits you could've avoided.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

Bots do indeed count for TDM and it sucks because the team balancing is very bad. One team can have more bots than the other and they just end up getting farmed for points. I really wish they'd turn bots off after the server was half full.

The duke heals like normal but has such a big health bar the healing effects feel very small. I thought selection was random though, is it really whoever's topping the board?

Whoever is currently topping the board when the stage begins gets a prompt asking whether they want to be duke. If they refuse, I expect it'll go down to the next in line.

I also just realised the silliest thing: There's nothing to keep people from switching teams even when teams even or the other team is bigger. So when your side is doing poorly, you can switch to your opponents, and then some poor sod from the other side will be auto-switched to the losing team. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

eonwe posted:

don't use server browser

also first person is superior and i don't think you are at that big of a disadvantage, if any

Yeah, after a while you kind of develop a sixth sense of enemies who've moved out of your FoV, and in turn you do get a big advantage when it comes gauging distance and landing thrusts or throws. Plus it's extremely satisfying when you gauge an accel just right and kill a guy while running past him without even seeing him.

Also, I've finally given the Battle Axe a spin, and holy poo poo I'm in love. Sure, the range is a bit short, but good god the damage :stare:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

The entire sword is the hitbox for the thrust. You can even hit people with the hilt who you aren't aiming at if they're close enough.

Also, the hitbox activates earlier and lasts longer than you'd expect. It still does full damage even when it doesn't have any visual momentum.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Are Vanguards really the only ones that can use mauls

I wanna be a Crusader with a maul :(

Knights can get both the two-handed hammer and the heavy mace, at least. Not quite maul tier, but still good for fun bonking times.

Also, I just tried the glaive some more, and learned that it's sprint attack deals loving 15 damage :psyduck:. It's so frustrating, I really like the way it looks and handles, but needing two/three additional hits to kill an enemy is simply completely infeasible. It's just strictly worse than... well, I was gonna say the halberd, but it's also worse than pretty much every other weapon in the game except perhaps the knife.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 20, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, javelins generally feel fair and fun to play against. They have a pretty visible tell, you can parry them, and the user needs to get fairly close to use them effectively. Getting killed by a thrown javelin feels no more frustrating than getting killed by any other thrown melee weapon, which is usually hilarious. Just delete the longbow and crossbow from the game and instead give the archer class an array of ever more improbable throwing weapons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

When you forget for a moment that throwing medpacks at downed allies no longer instantly revives them like it did in the beta. At least he was avenged.

https://i.imgur.com/gvPE8Kl.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

No, but it's in the "eventually" list of things on their roadmap

https://trello.com/b/7HnXYjSb/chivalry-2-roadmap-preview

Looking forwards to some low-gravity servers. Those were always a riot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aw, turns out the cudgel on Ambusher is a bit of a disappointment. I'd hoped its damage bonus against knights would make it situationally useful against them, but it's not really pulling its weight. Even with the full damage bonus it only hits for some fifty damage (both overheads and swings), which in principle isn't bad, but the short sword can also do the same with a thrust. And in return you give up a fair bit of range and multi-hit capability, so that just doesn't seem worth it. Still pretty fun to bully overly confident knights with, but short sword still reigns supreme.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Anyone know what section on the weapon stats that say Cut or Chop are supposed to convey? Some of them seem to have bonus % damage vs another class (or at least I think it is). But some of them don't say anything and just say Cut or Chop. Which doesn't make much sense to me, I'm pretty sure I'm cutting and chopping with almost every weapon.

Basically there seem to be three damage types:

Cut: Does the same damage against every target. Pretty much all swords and knives.
Chop: Has a medium damage bonus against the heavier classes: +25% against Knights, +17.5% against Footmen. These are mostly axes
Blunt: Has a major damage bonus against the heavier classes: +50% against Knights, +35% against Footmen. These are your maces, hammers, and clubs.

As a rule of thumb, cut weapons tend to have the high base damage, but without the bonus they still take a while to kill knights. Blunt weapons tend to have somewhat lower base damage, making them less deadly against archers or vanguards, but the damage bonus means they kill footmen and knights faster than usual. Finally, chop weapons tend to be somewhere inbetween, often having very solid damage potential across the board, in exchange for being a bit slower or shorter.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ben Quebec posted:

is there a reason to use the poleax when the heavy mace exists?

Poleax can hit several people in one swing, and has a rather good thrust. Both of which are pretty useful in larger group fights.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ben Quebec posted:

I'll give it another go but it was waaaay too slow for me.

I had a couple pretty good rounds with it earlier. It basically feels like an anti-armor version of the longsword. Similar reach and base damage, but trades in some speed for the damage bonus against Footmen/Knights. You'll want to rely mostly on the stab, and break out the swings when you're outnumbered.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another great tip for being a good team player: If you see three of your friends mobbing a guy, just leave em alone and go fight somewhere else. Adding more bodies to the pileup won't help getting the victim dead faster, if anything you'll end up getting in the way. And while you're busy whaling away on some dude 5v1, your teammates getting overwhelmed and outnumbered on the frontlines.

That said, if it's just a 2v1, it may be a good idea to go help, if you can get behind the target. Cause I guarantee you, the moment you turn your back on what should be an easy kill for one or two teammates, the enemy will suddenly hulk out, kill them both, and come to bonk you in the back of the head.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phobeste posted:

So many people playing the vip forget the single most important thing a vip can do that’s critical and irreplaceable to the success of the stage: constantly holler to raise the morale of your team. Always Be pressing C

Second most important thing: Grab a shield. Not because it keeps you alive longer (though it does), but because then C makes you bang your weapon against it for extra morale! :black101:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

have you seen my baby posted:

The bots in Chiv2 are so weird. They're never that difficult to kill, but they do such random stuff that even as you get better at the game those soulless monsters never actually seem to get any easier

I swear to god that sometimes those fuckers seem to be input reading (not really, but it can feel that way :v:). I've had happen so often that I'm staring down a bot, and at the exact moment I launch an attack they also launch theirs a split-second earlier and hit me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nordick posted:

Man, the glaive is a lot of fun to go completely apeshit with, but I feel like I can't actually get anything done with it. Death by a thousand cuts, except I can only get 500 cuts in before I get doinked.

Yeah, it's got really nice handling and reach, but the low damage is just horrendous. It can work decently if you really focus on thrusts, but really at that point you may as well just use the spear or halberd. It's a shame, cause I really do like the aesthetics of it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've just unlocked the maul, and I cannot get over how hilarious it is. I wouldn't necessarily call it particularly good, since the glacial speed and limited range make it pretty difficult to land hits against aware enemies, but it is ludicrously satisfying when you do hit them. I'm also 70% sure that its heavy attacks don't stop on hit even when the target survives, and it seems to cause stagger as well. If you get into the fray just right you turn into an outright wrecking ball that immediately clears out a lot of space.

It is a little susceptible to teamkills, though. :allears:
https://i.imgur.com/Phd7pcH.mp4
(unmute for bonks)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Today was a day for dismemberments.

https://i.imgur.com/SIfSNmz.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/LeBbz0A.mp4

That shrug :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Exodee posted:

If you're good with the longsword, then the footman's "sword" is really similar. It does slightly less stab/heavy damage and is obviously a tiny bit shorter, but that's about it.
You can put your shield away by selecting your current weapon a second time, (or you could throw it I guess :v:) but I don't think having a shield is ever a negative? I could be wrong, but shields don't slow you down like they did in Chiv 1, so they're basically a straight blocking buff.

Shields do have a slight disadvantage in that they block out some of your FoV in first person (more noticeable for Knight's giant shield), but that's really about it. But even then that's generally very much worth it even just for the passive protection from archers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HukHukHuk posted:

Battlecrying with food lets you chow down, 30 health is a fun prize for watching your mans take a bite out of an entire cabbage

Note: This does not seem to work with the heads of decapitated enemies. :orks101:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Big lol that they're removing the short spear because it's unfun to play against but leave archers in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I just dislike all double-sided axes on principle :colbert:. But fortunately the knight also has the pretty kickass executioner's axe for all my axing needs.

As for the poleaxe, it really feels more like a spear than an axe. It does decently if you kinda treat it like a longsword and rely on thrusts 90% of the time and resort to swings only in group fights. Though even then I'd generally still rather use a longsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Same, I've got like 15/16 on each of the real classes, and four on archer cause I was/am hoping for javelins at some point.