Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

There was a pre-load for the open beta, so there's almost certainly going to be a pre-load for the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

You absolutely can still 1v3 newbies in Chiv 2. It's extremely possible to chump lots of people at once if they're playing badly - third person gives you a much better range of information, and make sure to keep moving.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

The game on the whole feels slightly Mason favored, especially both Protection maps. The Duke has no safe position to be in and can be overwhelmed quickly, while the Heir has a corner to hide in safe from arrows and is difficult to get to.

I don't feel bad about this because Mason rules. gently caress the Agathans

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

I love being a coward who has 100 degrees more vision than the first-person nerd :cool:

Realistically, it should be one or the other, that there's both modes is a real bad idea from a balance standpoint since one is strictly way better for everything except duels.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Dang, it didn't save my progress between the beta and full release. I was hoping it would, since it did between the two betas....

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

The main advantage to man at arms is that the polehammer is a hosed up good weapon that ruins days for your opponent with the strongest special attack in the game.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Victory Position posted:

It is a heat-seeking bludgeon of death that will impact with an incoming teammate's foot 90% of the time as they awkwardly shuffle in front of you from the side :eng99:

I mean sure but that foot is gonna take 25 or 37 damage depending on who you hit it with and it's gonna like it.

That aside, it's reasonably fast, pretty long, and it still has a strong thrust, so it's like good in every respect. It's kind of a strict upgrade to the halberd in a lot of ways and I would never use the glaive over it (though the Spear has a niche that it doesn't fill, obviously.)

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

That's not really a problem when a lot of the time in groups you want to rein in your hit immediately to block anyway. Besides, you keep going if it killed someone.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

If you're having issues as Knight but love yourself a spear, don't sleep on the one-handed spear and shield, it's a fantastic weapon. It's super long and the swings get around guards extremely well, and the thrusts are fast and high-damage.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

facking desgustang!!!

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

It's got relatively low damage for its size and speed but the fact that its swings are two different variants of thrusts makes it super hard to counter, and it's the longest-reach weapon in the game. It plays weird but it's actually super good and a great counter to sweatlords.

I say this as a sweatlord whose rear end is kicked by it frequently.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

I think the glaive is strictly worse than basically every poleman weapon at the moment, though it has a niche on vanguard because it's a long pole weapon that they don't normally have access to.

It's fast but it does so little damage that it kinda sucks.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

beer gas canister posted:

I'm surprised to say that this is the only game I know where numbers can actually become a disadvantage - fighting 1vX in certain terrains is something of a gamble. Certain weapons don't seem to work well alongside one another also.

Yeah, group fights are actually somewhat balanced in this game, especially if you're using the weapons better for it. It's a skill check, but counters on one person's attack can lead to an attack hitting someone else because they're not in perfect sync, and you can jump back and forth.

Just never let anyone get behind you.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Perestroika posted:

Huh, the greatsword just seems to be 100% not worth it. It's got decent range, but is so ludicrously slow that you can barely capitalize on it. Both the Messer and the Longsword are outright superior, and that's before you even consider that they come with much less of a trade-off.

The Greatsword is bad at 1v1s compared to those other two weapons, yeah.

Where the greatsword shines is 1vX, where it's one of the best weapons in the game. Group fights mean countering someone from a mile away leading you to being invincible for a year as you carve through 3 other people trying to attack you at once; you cover such a huge area that the chances of you not hitting are entirely based on them not being there at all, or them blocking.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Also I'm not ashamed to admit that I've died to bots fearlessly attacking while I'm attacking more often than I'd like to admit. The way that the timing works out is that they can kind of sneak hits on you when you're fighting an actual player.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Perestroika posted:

As a rule of thumb, cut weapons tend to have the high base damage, but without the bonus they still take a while to kill knights. Blunt weapons tend to have somewhat lower base damage, making them less deadly against archers or vanguards, but the damage bonus means they kill footmen and knights faster than usual. Finally, chop weapons tend to be somewhere inbetween, often having very solid damage potential across the board, in exchange for being a bit slower or shorter.

The big exception to this is the warhammer which has extremely high base damage and the blunt bonus so it's comically powerful but slow and has short range. A heavy swing with the warhammer will do like 97 damage to Knights, and the special attack I believe does the same amount of damage as the special attack from the maul and two-handed hammer, 120. Not quite the polehammer's hilarious 150 but still extremely high.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

The Vanguard is wearing considerably less armor and less advanced armor than both the Knight and Footman, fwiw. The heaviest version is the Champion Crusader armor on both teams and that's basically armor that's like 400 years out of date compared to the other two.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

I'm quite convinced at this point that the Short Sword is not only the best auxiliary weapon it's one of the best weapons in the game flat. People just aren't prepared for how fast it is, and it does very real damage on its thrusts.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

I've won Agatha on Escape from Falmire. The Duke has to realize what's going on, book it, and grab a shield immediately or they're hosed.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Exodee posted:

I'm usually at the top of the scoreboard and I hardly use them either. :shrug:

Their slowness and the obvious way they're telegraphed makes them extremely situational. You could try using them during a big chaotic chokepoint battle, but don't ever try it when the enemy is paying attention to you.

The indicator is for running attacks though, which are different things entirely. Section Z already went over these, but personally I'm a big fan of the footman's charge attack; if you have a long weapon like the polehammer you can often aim next to the person you're targeting and then drag the charge into them which can really gently caress with their block attempt. The vanguard's greatsword has a good one too; it can be tough to aim, but is near instant and can even be used when you're right up against an opponent.

One of the most important parts about the Man-at-Arms's charge is that it beats the other kinds of running attacks unless you're using, like, a shovel to do it. If you collide with someone who's trying to get a vanguard jump or knight tackle on you, you'll catch both of those in the act and get free damage on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

While, yes, the teams here are very uneven, the score discrepancy here can't really be chocked up to that alone. You absolutely can be good at the game without luck being involved a lot of the time.