Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BurningCourage posted:

Should also mention Hellish Quart here as it's about the closest anyone will get to a modern day Bushido Blade. Also has actual ye olde swordsmanship people working on the game, with one ingame sabre being able to purchase and use for fencing IRL, even. No inbuilt online play, though.

Oh poo poo thank you for this. The rapier bladework looks great to my sport-fencing eye and I remember loving bushido blade back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Guess I'm downloading the EGS then. Game looks great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Just got this game and got assigned to footman my first game and been playing as a halberdier ever since. If you're moving forward and have 2 little chevrons under your reticle, does that mean you're sprinting and that Q will do a sprinting attack instead of a special attack? Shift also seems like it does absolutely nothing to make me move faster, but maybe I'm just not noticing it.

Also, do bots just fill in servers? Noticed a surprisingly large amount of normal names on people who suck quite a bit more than my new rear end. I mostly run in with a charge attack and start swinging, since that halberd can do some nice damage when you get a parry. I still don't think I've managed to properly counter anybody yet though. Speaking of, if I alt-attack, would someone need to alt-attack back to properly counter? And does that apply to overheads/stabs too? Because I'm not sure I'll ever be able to recognize the difference in time to meaningfully counter that, though maybe could get alt-swings down.

Game owns. Just got a polehammer I want to try out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wow I am bad with the poleman's spear compared to the halberd. Tips? Besides stab more I guess. I keep losing 1v2s badly that I'd possibly have won before.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Stab more, also dodge more. I get a lot of kills by dodging out of the way and giving a quick jab to the side of the head. I really dance around a lot when I'm using the spear, backdashes are good to try and keep people at range. If someone's coming into your bubble start poking to punish them and force them to back off. If they get close it's gonna be hard but try dashing to get away and poke to get distance again.

megane posted:

Also, never get very far from your allies. That's true for most weapons, of course, but the spear gets hosed extra hard by being outnumbered or having enemies get up in your face -- you can't do the bullshit mile-wide invincible riposte slash to drive them back like an axe or sword can. When people push you, you want to be able to retreat a few steps and be surrounded by angry buddies who will protect you* while you recover your stamina and reposition. Also, you're way more dangerous if you can poke them from outside their range, since then you don't need to block and thus aren't giving them ripostes; buddies will hinder them* from closing the distance and removing that advantage.

* Not that they're trying to protect or help you, of course.
Thanks, that was helpful! I'll keep it all in mind.

On the other hand I just played some rounds as Raider and unlocked the Messer. Dear god, this thing is getting nerfed, right? Because I went from being mid-tier to getting in the top three pretty consistently once I started using it, and feel like I see most people using them too. I just need to get better at throwing my Dane Axe (is another weapon better for throwing btw?) and I think I'll be a danger at all ranges.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Messer was the win button in Chiv1 as well. My favorite counter to it is to throw an axe through their face.

Fortunately there is a class that can throw a giant axe into a face and still carry a messer!

But yeah seriously it's a monstrously good weapon.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Also, the hitbox activates earlier and lasts longer than you'd expect. It still does full damage even when it doesn't have any visual momentum.

The same applies to all weapons: I've done damage with the two-handed spear when it looks like I've started pulling it back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

have you seen my baby posted:

the one handed spear is absurdly overpowered and has basically no animations
e: I dont know how unlocks work. NVM

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 20, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I think they really should have made the javelin throwing the base class so people at least had to play that before jumping into archer spam.

I'd definitely like that

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

Messer use is also probably inflated by the other options the Vanguard subclass with it has.

Dane axe: More fun to throw than swing.
Two handed hammer: Fun to use but has some odd "Weak vs vanguards" damage numbers going on.
Glaive: It is the glaive. And I still see more vanguards using this than the hammer.
This is also probably true too. I'd definitely consider a longsword or a better longer weapon on the raider but realistically a primary messer and a secondary throwing weapon is the way to go.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Well, got the skirmisher unlocked and that's that for playing archer ever again I think

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Man I just cannot make knight click for me. I think I've been poisoned by vanguard and footman classes who get much faster movement, longer weapons, and generally hit a bit harder. Maybe I just need to get a few more weapons available.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

have you seen my baby posted:

Yeah the general skill level of the playerbase has definitely been increasing

Morph-matching is a thing in this game so start practicing your counter feints everyone!!

Yeah I can't tell if the issue has been new people leaving or people just getting better. I have no idea if the EGS exclusive hurt the playerbase enough that there is already a contraction in people or not.

At least half a server is getting decent at dragging now though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

You didn't throw it once! Shame, that's my favorite use of the Dane Axe.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Does the shield-banging with the warcry button only happen in certain views or with certain classes? I tried with the MAA and skirmisher and couldn't make it work, both first-person.

E: vvvv well that explains that.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 29, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Recently I've seen so much smaller teams on 40person games. Like, 3 v 2 in terms of real people vs bots. Am I just getting unlucky on a very small sample size or is it really that limited in terms of playerbase? Just now included, so not just daylight games.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dog nougat posted:

Anecdotally I've seen the same. I find it hard to believe that the game is dead already. I assume there's some matchmaking/server issues at play. I'm on console, so there's no server browser at all though. On the plus side, the bot heavy games might get me up to the 50 kills in a match trophy cuz I suck against regular players
Glad its not me. On the other hand, probably should have let a game go on further than I did since I just got 41, which is definitely my peak.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

It is definitely easier to hit with than javelins and you switch to a weapon faster than a skirmisher pulls out another javelin. It's pretty silly. And great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Is there a website that gives accurate stats for each weapon like damage, stamina use to swing, actual range, etc? Googling turns up a bunch of terrible ranking websites that offer vague generalizations that are also often very wrong, and the vague descriptions in-game also don't do much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Throwing axes are really level 15 archer? gently caress.

e: Also, what actually is the win condition for Mason on Coxwell? Because I just won a game as Agatha when the bar was completely full and had been for over a minute, with me as the only non-bot Agathan, and I was definitely spawning as a peasant and dying multiple times. Every other time Mason has gotten to that stage its been a complete rout, and since it was 1v4 in terms of real people that whole round, I'd figured it was a complete loss.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 1, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Someone may have joined in after the second gold gathering section I suppose? I stopped checking the scoreboard after awhile and never saw another soldier but if they were hiding I don't suppose I would have. And thanks for the link!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 1, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mdct posted:

I've won Agatha on Escape from Falmire. The Duke has to realize what's going on, book it, and grab a shield immediately or they're hosed.

Yeah it's rough but doable. Any setback or slowdown means you're likely going to fail.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Phobeste posted:

Yes. it owns. It also has the same sprint attack (the 60 degree slash) as the dane axe but with a wider reach and it does like 150 damage to knights. I personally had been doing 2h hammer + messer since i started with knight messer but i've been trying 2h hammer + dane ax and it's so good lol

I need to try this. The main downside I can see is that I'd feel like I need to be a bit more careful with just chucking the Dane Axe because it's also your weapon for fighting groups.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Definitely can't make the 2handed hammer work yet, but also the 340-degree swing people can take with slashing weapons is a bit much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TorakFade posted:

incidentally I want to unlock the crossbowman but longbow archery bores me, would it be feasible to just toss the bow when spawning and grab a decent weapon off the ground, or the lower health means I'd just be dying instantly? (I still haven't figured how not to get hit :dumb: )
This is how I played until skirmisher. Get crossbowman unlocked and use that (the banner will get you more points to level faster) and it doesn't take too long. You get some decent secondaries too.

Playing objectives helps a lot too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dog nougat posted:

drat, been loving around with the 2-handed spear on footman class. It's special charge attack is sweet af.

The poleman gets that charge attack with all of their weapons. Oddly, because of how the damage works, that charge does more damage to knights/footmen with the halberd (and probably the polehammer, I need to try it again and maybe wean off my need to have attacks carry through opponents).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I cannot for the life of me get the timing on the tackle down, especially as the knight. Also, it's bullshit thay the MAA doesn't get it since it seems like such an obvious choice given their shield.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I have embraced the dual Dane Axe. There's almost always a 3rd primary lying around so that is a ton of potential ranged and melee damage.

E: I wish I could pick the skin for my second axe, or at least have the same skin apply.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 10, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Also, I feel like its weird to announce a patch with balance changes and then not release it for over a week.

E: vvv yeah basically.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 10, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Seeing a decent number of people switching right before heir/duke selection to get it if they are top scoring. Once I'm pretty sure it led to a glitch where the duke just never spawned because the other guy was still switching.

On the other hand, I got over 100k in points and 60+ kills so that felt nice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cerebral posted:

Tonight, when I finally hit 50 on the Knight class, I plan on switching over to the Vanguard and playing 20 levels with that, and the vast majority of that time is going to be spent rocking double Dane axes, and I cannot wait for it. That combo is so satisfying to play. I will murder so many archers with long range throws, I've been looking forward to this for a week, ever since I decided to solely focus on Knight and not bounce back and forth between classes.
Jesus. I've been playing fairly regularly but I'm at like 23 on my most played class. (I really want the gold vanguard mason armor).

Also I use the Dane Axe special all the time in group fights. It ends them pretty fast, letting things snowball. Also fun: nobody seems to expect you pull a thrown axe out of them. Throwing 2 axes in one fight and having a third available is pretty great.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 11, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why do small incremental patches to show progress when you can make a huge post, never patch for 3 weeks and try to delete all evidence about the announced patch? Oh yeah and then show off upcoming weapon skins.

This remains the most mind-boggling decision.

Matchmaking has been quick and gives me relatively full servers quickly but it does seem a bit less populated as a game overall. It takes longer for a half-time server to fill up now for sure.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

Wait a minute... Isn't thrown medkit a footman only skill? Or have I been overlooking away to throw medkits as archer this whole time.

I thought it was a joke about friendly archers being better at causing friendly fire than footmen ever were with their medbags.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oh hey new female voices and armor sets. That's cool. I'll probably come back to this if the population hasn't cratered.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ooof. Dane Axe seems like it took a hit. Or my skills did, could be either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

They included jokes against moms but not feminine player models at launch? That's nice
I might have missed actual launch but they definitely had them at least a few days later. They probably had them at launch too, I just didn't buy it then.