Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Spear is great for someone like me who has shite awareness, if I'm only poking I don't need to keep dragging my FOV and have more of a shot at knowing wtf is going on around me. Also how the heck at people doing "heavy" thrusts/vert attacks? rebinding it to something other than mwheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

beer gas canister posted:

I'm surprised to say that this is the only game I know where numbers can actually become a disadvantage - fighting 1vX in certain terrains is something of a gamble. Certain weapons don't seem to work well alongside one another also.

if you're 1v2 it could potentially still be a stalemate if, due to terrain or other factors you can't flank him, if you're 1v3+ , even if you're all in front of him you should be able to interrupt him constantly if he's attack spamming or wreck his stamina->disarm if he's being defensive. If hes a shield knight and he's being turtle-y honestly just ignore him until he overextends and you can backstab him.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

explosivo posted:

I really tried to use that couched spear special and it would actually be useful if it didn't make you stand up any time you poke someone. I was hanging around corners or in chokepoints and would tuck down with the spear and was catching some people in it but it does 40 damage and forces you to stand up when you hit someone with it during which you're open to attack.

But for real for those of you talking poo poo on the glaive I have to wonder if we're using the same thing because I was absolutely tearing rear end with that thing. It's got the range/thrust ability of the spear but wide charged sweeps with it can lop heads off like nobody's business.

I don't even know what the spear special's theoretical utility is. It seems to only trigger if they are already well within stabbing range and it does below average dmg, it just saves you a click? but you can also get interrupted out of it like a normal attack? idgi . Thank god the spear sprint attack owns.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Perestroika posted:

It's basically a hard counter against people trying to tackle or sprint attack you, which can otherwise be a bit tricky to get the timing right for. Occasionally it can be useful to block doorways or ladders, too. But yeah, in practice it's kind of superfluous.

Ahh yeah, probably good for specials too that have impossible to guess range too *stares directly at field engineer sledge*

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

this guy is very good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9imc4oTfBpM

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

fix archers with the irl counterplay: shields. Make shields passively block missiles if they hit around the model even when not raised (like mount and blade). maybe also give footman the option for planted pavise OR spike block . Also give archers less ammo and put the ammo crates closer to contested areas.

Most people don't know that you can light xbow bolts on fire if another archer plants a brazier. I really like the idea of teammates getting synergy from utility items and actually having to work together. replace medkits with bandages and take bandages away from everyone except footman who charged one up.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

eonwe posted:

Archer is actually incredible as a melee only class because people massively underestimate you and then you can loving destroy them if you are halfway good at counters and jabs

and they get the short sword who can beat people to the punch with its super fast stab even if you don't have initiative lol . If someone has a 2h blunt or a halberd and you can get in close they're basically hosed.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

explosivo posted:

They already do, there's a tooltip about it!

seriously? they need to fix the hitbox (blockbox?) then, I shot through quite a few "unraised" shields yesterday

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Need to expand their physics kill capabilities by giving damage just for falling on people from a decent height, they already have the stumble/fall animations from tackle too. please encourage more ill advised aerial assaults.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

today i learned about alternate attacks (change starting direction of swing)

feeling dumb as heck

and yeah rebinding "cancel attack" to RMB, it works fine also as block, and it makes feinting really easy

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

because stab hitboxes are screwy as hell if your in 3rd person

Edit: meant that it's tougher to use stabs in 3rd person has been my experience.

I've been playing a lot of 1h sword and I noticed every time i and someone with a 2h weapon charge at each other I can always get a hit if I just do a normal right to left horizontal slash at the right time. Even if my timing is good, it shouldn't work all the time since most people (like me) spam horizontal counterattack as a default option. then it occurred to me im probably hitting him in the back because 2h people take a bigger windup which means their characters twist to the right more for a right horizontal swing, etc.

This game is cool and has a lot of great detail. tl;dr: don't telegraph your attacks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Perestroika posted:

Aw, turns out the cudgel on Ambusher is a bit of a disappointment. I'd hoped its damage bonus against knights would make it situationally useful against them, but it's not really pulling its weight. Even with the full damage bonus it only hits for some fifty damage (both overheads and swings), which in principle isn't bad, but the short sword can also do the same with a thrust. And in return you give up a fair bit of range and multi-hit capability, so that just doesn't seem worth it. Still pretty fun to bully overly confident knights with, but short sword still reigns supreme.

yeah cudgel i think is the weakest base damage weapon in the game, also maybe the fastest. which makes it perfect as a secondary for archers to stunlock and delay attackers until your team can bail you out