Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

mdct posted:

The main advantage to man at arms is that the polehammer is a hosed up good weapon that ruins days for your opponent with the strongest special attack in the game.

I bought this game last night and I didn't have time to play for very long, but I did unlock the polehammer and it made me very happy. The Bec de Corbin was my favorite weapon back in the day playing the CRPG mod for M&B Warband and I'm feeling the same vibes here, it's so quick and satisfying to just hammer the poo poo out of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

vandalism posted:

This game loving OWNS>

:hmmyes:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Do bots impact the score in TDM? It would be a bit of a bummer if they did but it would apply to both teams so no big deal either way. I love seeing a horde of bots coming my way, especially if I have a longbow.

Side note, I love the maps where you have to kill/defend a VIP at the end, it's basically a wildcard round and can go either way which is a fun way to end a long match.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

According to this chart I found on Google, the Messer actually does more damage than the Greatsword for standard attacks, the Greatsword only wins out on heavy and special attacks and the Longsword is the stabbiest of the group. So it seems the Messer was designed to be the swinging helicopter sword, maybe they should just nerf the stab damage a few points and call it a day.

Also that chart is telling me I need to hurry up and unlock the 1-handed spear, I assumed it would be weaker than the 2-handed spear but I guess technically the opposite is true.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I haven't unlocked javelins yet but I did throw a 2-handed spear into a man's face at point blank range as we were charging each other and it was immensely satisfying.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Section Z posted:

I'm glad the unique to knight warhammer is good, it is even pretty decent against Vanguards for a blunt weapon. But oh man I keep wildly spiraling between thinking the Morning Star is cool and "Is this actually kind of terrible?"

Same here, I seem to go on killing sprees pretty often with those two weapons (also the Vanguard's War Club) but then I'll have moments when I'm just getting clowned over and over again. I think they're best if you're picking your battles and staying out of group fights except to bash people on the back of the head and duck away.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

dog nougat posted:

This was super helpful. The tutorial didn't really explain the mechanics very well. Playing on console and loving it. I'm sure I'm at a disadvantage to kb+m, but still having a blast screaming and dying while occasionally getting a kill in.

I'm also on console and yeah, some of the controls are a bit of a pain. Countering an overhead for example, it's so awkward to press L1+L2 together unless you hold the controller like a weirdo. But aside from that, there don't seem to be many disadvantages, it's been great so far on Xbox.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I always start to block instinctively after killing someone, because half the time I'm about to get hit in the back by an enemy and the other half I'm about to get hit by a horde of blood-crazed teammates charging in to help me.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I finally finished a long match at the top of the scoreboard, it was a lot harder than I thought it would be because it seems there are always a few people with really absurd K/D ratios ahead of me. A few times I would feel like an invincible monster only to find myself in 4th place.

Anyway, footman sword + shield is amazing once you find that sweet spot between caution and aggression. Never stop dodging or stabbing, save your swings for counters and group fights, and attack relentlessly in 1-on-1s with kicks and jabs to overwhelm them. :discourse:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Jimbot posted:

The Dane axe is super fun to use and to throw. Want a rail gun? Throw your dane axe. It's probably my favorite weapon.

:lol: this is both effective and hilarious, people don't expect it so it's very easy to aim when they're charging straight at you, if they're already injured then you have a good chance of killing them outright.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

If PvP was a cheeseburger then the bots are the french fries. Not great on their own but nice to have between bites of the main course. Please visit my blog for more goony analogies.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

edit: the video above is amazing with sound on

I didn't even realize imgur supported mp4s, well hey here's my clip with a point blank dane axe toss and a pretty timely dodge:
https://i.imgur.com/EeYx8ml.mp4

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 1, 2021

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Now armed with the knowledge that heavy attacks can cleave with blunt weapons, I've found that the war mace heavy slash will kill a bot in 1 hit, which leads to killing sprees such as this:

https://i.imgur.com/B2yU9Gl.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/vFx0GSt.mp4

(also :lol: at the dismembered heads when you have the gore turned off, you can see it towards the end of the first clip)

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Exodee posted:

Are those cabbages? I was wondering how they'd handle the discrepancy (what with being able to throw heads and all) but that's pretty funny. Also how did you get your compressed imgur videos to be so smooth? :)

Yep, cabbages! And I'm on a Series X so that's could be something to do with it, I'm using the "record what happened" feature, downloading the videos off the windows "xbox console companion" app and uploading straight to imgur.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Looks like one of my teammates found a short-cut:
https://i.imgur.com/DNq4KGL.mp4

Hard to tell but it looks like he actually survived

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I've given up on javelins, they're marginally OK in melee but awful as ranged weapons. Dane axes, however...

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I've been on the attacking side before when the duke never spawned. I kept looking for his icon but it never appeared :smith:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

School Nickname posted:

Is there literally no counter window against one-handed weapons? Duelyards are loving full of these jumping insta riposting sweatlords. I feel like a goomba. Their feints are straight up faster than my ripostes/counters.

Dodge and jab! Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Here's an interesting 4v1 fight I had the other night. It's a good demonstration of how using counters instead of combos helps you swing a lot faster. Almost every attack in this clip is an attempted counter but only one of them actually countered an attack (at the 10 second mark).

https://i.imgur.com/z7ebb6q.mp4